Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

Not sure why guys would be bulking up a bunch. Sure, 4-3 ends sometimes tend to be a bit larger than 3-4 OLBs, but not by a huge amount and it's not like we had a bunch of small tweeners anyway.

But 4-3 DTs are usually around the same size as 3-4 DEs.

As far as Sweat, I don't see much extra either. I'm guessing he's around the same weight he was last year, but who knows.

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't know, to me he looks smaller than Chase.  A little taller, but noticeably more thin.  He was at a good playing weight last year, I don't think he bulked up, nor should he have.  What I want to see him do is play through his blocks better.

I'd say his legs are definitely more thin than Chase's, but his chest and shoulders are noticeably larger, plus factor in he's about an inch or two taller than Chase w/longer arms, I can see how he weighs more. Chase has a stronger base, sure.

Sweat got a lot better towards the end of the season, his final game was quite the showing (unfortunately it was against Looney and not Tyron Smith). 

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't know, to me he looks smaller than Chase.  A little taller, but noticeably more thin.  He was at a good playing weight last year, I don't think he bulked up, nor should he have.  What I want to see him do is play through his blocks better.

If you look at the relation to their feet, it looks like Young is a fair bit closer to the camera than Sweat, at least a couple yards closer. 

I find myself forgetting that Sweat is only entering his 2nd year.  Most players have their biggest body transformation between year 1 and 2.... see Haskins.  I think Sweat likely added 5-10 lbs of muscle... He didn't exactly have a lot of fat on him before, but he looks broader in the shoulders and his traps look a bit higher from the pictures i've seen.  He does look a bit more lean than Young, but I think they will be similar in stature by the start of the season. 

49 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

If you look at the relation to their feet, it looks like Young is a fair bit closer to the camera than Sweat, at least a couple yards closer. 

I find myself forgetting that Sweat is only entering his 2nd year.  Most players have their biggest body transformation between year 1 and 2.... see Haskins.  I think Sweat likely added 5-10 lbs of muscle... He didn't exactly have a lot of fat on him before, but he looks broader in the shoulders and his traps look a bit higher from the pictures i've seen.  He does look a bit more lean than Young, but I think they will be similar in stature by the start of the season. 

And on the drill where everyone is talking about Chase Young’s first step, he’s definitely out front before anyone.  But by the end of the drill, Sweat is right there with him, because of his 4.4 speed.

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

And on the drill where everyone is talking about Chase Young’s first step, he’s definitely out front before anyone.  But by the end of the drill, Sweat is right there with him, because of his 4.4 speed.

4.4 is straight line speed at 40 yards, which that drill in the video didn't really touch. One of the reasons Sweat was 1st in that race is if you look at his feet when he gets back to their starting point midway through, he doesn't get both feet down behind the line like the other players do, but gets one foot down and then the other foot is on its way back the other direction without touching down on the other side of the line (like I assume it's supposed to). Before that Chase was a bit ahead of him or at least neck and neck.

I ain't saying Sweat is a cheater. 

But he sorta cheated there. 

1 hour ago, FuriousD said:

So what the heck is going on at Free Safety? No name listed at first string in the depth chart.. Apke listed as a back-up.. Who's on first?

btw, there's a DB thread...I think people forget about it, because it drops off the front page.

in fact there's a thread for just about every position group

Montez has changed from last year. He looks tired here but sharper and less boyish than last year in his energy, more confident. One of my biggest worries about him was if he would handle the leap in complexity to the NFL and pick up the study habits and planning necessary to win at this level. He knows now you have to study tendencies and develop counters, plus a diversity of moves to keep guys guessing and set things up for impact downs. I can’t wait to see what he does this season now that it looks like it “clicked” for him. 

Also, it was good to hear that he gained only a minor bit of weight in good places and the focus is more on keeping that weight over the course of the season with disciplined eating habits. And I loved that he said all of the rookies from last year look different, everyone has changed. 

Until he makes large strides with his technique, Sweat will be dependent on his frame and athleticism to make plays. Being in the dirt more often will allow him to take greater advantage of his natural explosiveness. Even without the proven defensive coaching staff, that alone should significantly increase Sweat’s effectiveness.

I love that both of our young edges are of the same physical mold. It will be so much easier for them to progress together. In a few years we will hopefully have two guys that are clones of each other.

Ignoring the fact that they always drool, I’d say its enough to make a Zombie’s mouth water.

And we still have Kerrigan, Anderson, Iaonnidis and Settle. That's not a bad line at all. We basically have 2 starting defensive lines this year, so the rotation should keep everyone very fresh into the fourth quarter and more. And that's along with 4 or 5 starting LBers. Then there is Collins who will mostly be free to just harass whoever he wants. 

I can not see a situation where our defense is not top 10 at worse. 

7 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I'm tired of hearing the hype train season after season with this defense with Payne, Allen, Sweat, now Young.. I need to start seeing results.. SF basically started building their line right are the time we started and well we've seen where they are now and we still haven't left the station..

Very similar situations, then they added a premier rusher. So, this season it's the coming out party for that group. 

I'm tired of hearing the hype train season after season with this defense with Payne, Allen, Sweat, now Young.. I need to start seeing results.. SF basically started building their line right are the time we started and well we've seen where they are now and we still haven't left the station..

2019 49ers Traded for Dee Ford and drafted Bosa. There was no hype train for them. They were just pretty good.

San Fran, as others have stated, drafted bosa and it took them to the next level.

They also didnt have Manusky asking square pegs to fill round holes.  The additions of Young, development of Sweat, presumed change from 3-4 to 4-3, addition of a defensive HC as well as a premier DC gives a lot of people a lot of excitement in a unit that has multiple first round picks.  To say we both started at the same time yet we have not kept up is not really fair.  

They also drafted Arik Armstead in 2015 and DeForest Buckner in 2016.  We picked Allen in 2017, and he was our first round one true DL pick since Kenard Lang in '97.

We'd been making due with bargain bin DLs and free agent finds with marginal success for 20 years before picking Allen, Payne, Sweat, and Young.  The old standard operating procedure for us would have been to roll out with Ioannidis and a 30 something Kerrigan and nothing else and call it good enough.  This line is different but we didn't start seriously building it until 2017.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They also drafted Arik Armstead in 2015 and DeForest Buckner in 2016.  We picked Allen in 2017, and he was our first round one true DL pick since Kenard Lang in '97.

We'd been making due with bargain bin DLs and free agent finds with marginal success for 20 years before picking Allen, Payne, Sweat, and Young.  The old standard operating procedure for us would have been to roll out with Ioannidis and a 30 something Kerrigan and nothing else and call it good enough.  This line is different but we didn't start seriously building it until 2017.

that's true, we haven't gotten serious about building the D line until recently.  IMO the next dive has to be in the O line.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

that's true, we haven't gotten serious about building the D line until recently.  IMO the next dive has to be in the O line.  

In theory, that's all we have left. TE, maybe another WR opposite TMac, secondary (possible starter, definitely depth), maybe RB.

This is probably the most complete team we've fielded in a long time. We definitely need to luck into 2nd and 3rd Oline talent being at our draft spot though. If we have a good season and pick back half of the first, then I'd be all about Oline.

Archived