Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

How about bell-cow, as opposed to cow-bell ?

Short yardage and goal-line situations, give him the ball and see what happens

Just like refrigerator Perry.  You've got to think settle can get at least a couple yards every time right?  Good luck tackling him.

• Like 1
On 7/18/2020 at 10:47 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I didn't watch much of it, but looks like he filmed his workout for his friends.  Jumping rope and riding his bike home.

I wound up watching it. He looks fit, but the workout doesn't look that amazing. Also of note, he is still wearing an AFO brace to keep his foot from dropping. That nerve hasn't come back all the way. 

Per PFT, the current agreement has an ability for players to opt out of the season by 8/1 and receive 150k. Their contract then freezes and they don't accrue a year towards FA. That's what I would do if I were Foster. Kick the can down the road a little. Take my 150k and try to come back full speed next season and make my money back. 

• Like 1

NFL linebacker rankings: All 32 units entering the 2020 NFL season

24. WASHINGTON

There are numerous options for Washington at linebacker this season, starting with the addition of veteran Thomas Davis Sr. Once one of the best all-around linebackers in the game, Davis has slowed down in recent years, posting grades in the 60s in three of his last four years. At his best, Davis was one of the rangiest linebackers in the league, peaking with three elite coverage grades from 2013 to 2015 with the Panthers. He’s also a viable blitz threat, but he was used in that capacity just 19 times last season after regularly being sent after the quarterback at certain points with the Panthers. Davis is still effective enough to contribute, especially on a lesser team, but he may best be used as a versatile blitz/coverage option in sub-packages. 

The player we’d really like to see more of is Shaun Dion Hamilton, a 2018 sixth-round pick who earned an impressive 74.9 overall grade last year on just 387 snaps. He has battled injuries and been limited to just 994 snaps over the last three years, including college, but Dion Hamilton has always performed well when on the field. 

Last season saw rookie fifth-rounder Cole Holcomb play 718 snaps, and he earned a solid 71.3 run-defense grade though his 43.4 coverage grade ranked just 86th in the league. Jon Bostic also returns after a career-high 1,031 snaps, but he has just one season grade above 60.0 in his six years. 

The wild cards are Reuben Foster and Kevin Pierre-Louis. Foster is a former first-rounder who looked like a future star after his rookie season in 2017, but off-field issues, poor play and a season-ending injury last season have all derailed his career. If Foster returns to 2017 form, however, he’s a three-down, impact linebacker. Pierre-Louis, on the other hand, has played just 779 snaps in his five years in the league, though he recorded a 90.5 grade last year in what was an excellent stint for the Bears. 

Washington has several options to choose from, and that gives them a wide range of outcomes when it comes to the quality of this unit in 2020.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-linebacker-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

With our front 4, we should never have to rush more than 5 guys.  Let's say you've got Ryan Kerrigan (I never really noticed how BIG he is until that recent vid above where someone commented that he carried the RT into the QB's lap.  It's not that he's thick -- he's not -- it's just that he's this giant, rectangular block that's strong as hell.  If he played DT on short passing downs (3rd & less than 10), where the QB is just trying to get the ball out anywhere into the middle of the field, he could have a ton of batted balls), so Kerrigan, Sweat, Allen/Payne/Sweat, Ionnaidis, and Young are coming on 3rd & 10.  On 3rd & 10 if those 5 guys can't get to the QB, it's pointless.  So that's 5 guys to cover and the 6th to make sure it's not a surprise run and also cover the middle when it's not. 

Has Young grown any in height since the combine?  I hope he doesn't, because his height is optimal.  But if he does grow, I hope he grows to 6-9 so we can call him Too Tall Young.  (I hate the Cowboys as much as anybody who watched The Game That Shall Not Be Named, but Too Tall Jones was one of the coolest names ever -- like, did anyone even know he had a first name?  (Ed) -- and I forget who the main CBS announcer was (rather monotone voice, baritone, easy to understand, always called Cowboys games), but the way he said "Too Tall Jones" was really cool.

There are 3 things that make we want the Team That Was Head-Coached By Joe Gibbs To Glory A Long Time Ago to play this year and watching our DL is one of them.  I think Daron Payne is going to make the biggest leap.  You don't double team the run-stopper, right?  Payne's probably the kind of run-stopper who can't beat a double-team when rushing the QB.  That's different than a run-stopper who can't beat a single-team when rushing the QB.  Too Tall Young is going to get doubled.  That leaves 3 guys:  Kerrigan/Sweat, Ionnaidis/Allen/Settle, and Payne.  You can't double all 4 guys.  That leaves Payne.  Payne is going to be one-on-one all game, and if he doesn't beat his man from the start, he is going to wear him down and out.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:29 PM, mistertim said:

I think it really depends on the down and distance. If we're running something like a 4-3 Under front then I could see an early down/short yardage package of Sweat/Kerrigan/Chase at LDE, Payne at 1 tech, Allen as 3 tech, and Chase/Kerrigan/Sweat at RDE with Anderson as a SAM up near the LOS. For a late down/long yardage passing situation I could see them putting in Ioan and Allen in at 1 and 3 tech (Payne is an ok pass rusher but they're both better than he is) with Sweat/Kerrigan as a strong side DE and Chase as a wide 9 weak side DE. Then at SAM you put in someone who can cover better than Anderson. Maybe SDH?

Sounds good to me....I know Bostic may have a chance to play a lot too. Two guys I really want to see show up huge are Reuben and Davis the safety. Both are hitters but have questions to answer.

On 7/22/2020 at 2:39 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

The wild cards are Reuben Foster and Kevin Pierre-Louis. Foster is a former first-rounder who looked like a future star after his rookie season in 2017, but off-field issues, poor play and a season-ending injury last season have all derailed his career. If Foster returns to 2017 form, however, he’s a three-down, impact linebacker. Pierre-Louis, on the other hand, has played just 779 snaps in his five years in the league, though he recorded a 90.5 grade last year in what was an excellent stint for the Bears. 

My God I would love Foster to stay healthy. That would bring massive upside to the backers. KPL also has a great chance to contribute. That article is right to identify these as the 2 main wild cards. I think they are the 2 LBs I’m most interested in tracking.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

My God I would love Foster to stay healthy. That would bring massive upside to the backers. KPL also has a great chance to contribute. That article is right to identify these as the 2 main wild cards. I think they are the 2 LBs I’m most interested in tracking.

I'm not counting on Foster to contribute much this season.  If he does make it back, I think it'll be in the 2021 season.  But even if he can't really play this year, the LBer room still has some interesting dudes in it.  We've got a variety of players and skill sets at the position now, and more of them will make the team and get snaps because of the switch to the base 4-3.  I could see Davis and Holcomb playing big roles.  Shaun Dion Hamilton and Jon Bostic too.  As you say KPL could be the best one in the group.  And JHC could play a big role too if he's healthy again.  And I could also see Kaleke Hudson being good if he gets thrust into the line up.

LBer and DL are the only two position groups where I feel good about our depth.  We don't have any true blue studs there like in our DL group, but we have seven good linebackers even if Foster can't play.  Having that kind of backer depth is what you need to play high level defense for a full season and a postseason run, and building that kind of depth is the goal for all of our other position groups.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

i agree, if Reuben and KPL are both healthy then the linebacker corp goes to a strength rather than a question mark. Reuben playing behind Payne, Allen and Young and in front of Landon Collins has to be a dream scenario for him. Hope he's ready to contribute. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

i agree, if Reuben and KPL are both healthy then the linebacker corp goes to a strength rather than a question mark. Reuben playing behind Payne, Allen and Young and in front of Landon Collins has to be a dream scenario for him. Hope he's ready to contribute. 

Reuben is still wearing an AFO brace which is used to treat foot drop. I doubt that he’s ready. I think that his smartest move is to decline to play this season based on COVID, and roll his contract this year into next year. That way he can come back healthy, look good and hopefully earn another contract. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Reuben is still wearing an AFO brace which is used to treat foot drop. I doubt that he’s ready. I think that his smartest move is to decline to play this season based on COVID, and roll his contract this year into next year. That way he can come back healthy, look good and hopefully earn another contract. 

Youre right probably.

4 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Youre right probably.

I’m rooting for him though. Would love to be wrong.

I wonder what Cole Holcomb’s ceiling is. What do you guys think is his best case scenario?

Also, I’m with you McQueen about being satisfied with our LB depth. I think that despite the lack of a pro bowler, we are ok. But, a lot of those guys are on 1 year contracts. I still think we need a long term upgrade. I think Thomas Davis probably means the SAM spot, and there is no natura replacement after him. 

If we aren’t in the range to grab Sewell, which I don’t think we will be, I’d love to see us grab Micah Parsons. Plug him in at MIKE, Holcomb at WILL and anybody at SAM and you have a terrifying front 7 that’s good against both the run and pass. 

• Like 1

Unless he has a down year I think Parsons goes top 5. Dude is an absolute monster.

Outside of Lawrence (if Haskins were to completely **** the bed this season), Micah Parsons is probably my 2nd favorite prospect behind Sewell at the moment, though Ja'Marr Chase is way up there too. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So Brantley gets a 350k advance on his contracted salary now and his contract will toll into 2021. Wise move for a fringe player. Better than getting cut as a result of an adjusted camp and non existent pre season....

I was watching profootballtalk talk yesterday and that **** Florio was saying it is also a gamble by the players, because if we release Brantley next off-season he will owe us the 350.000. 

HTTR 

• Confused 1
29 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I was watching profootballtalk talk yesterday and that **** Florio was saying it is also a gamble by the players, because if we release Brantley next off-season he will owe us the 350.000. 

HTTR 

yeah that’s ok if he’s still got it to give you back haha....a bit of a strange one that. I guess it’s only the high risk that qualified for the 350k think the voluntary opt out was a 150k advance.

it could also be like the modern day loophole to stashing someone on IR. if he’s on the bubble, stash him this way for 12 months, get him back next year on a one year 400k deal with a more realistic shot to fight for a roster place....

So what does everyone think will ultimately wind up happening with Tim Settle? I just watched a lot of his play from last season and he's uhh... really good, to say the least. He's clearly our best player that's not in the "starting rotation". He's absolutely a starter on almost every NFL team in my opinion. He also just turned 23 a few weeks ago, so he's the youngest DT of the bunch. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

So what does everyone think will ultimately wind up happening with Tim Settle? I just watched a lot of his play from last season and he's uhh... really good, to say the least. He's clearly our best player that's not in the "starting rotation". He's absolutely a starter on almost every NFL team in my opinion. He also just turned 23 a few weeks ago, so he's the youngest DT of the bunch. 

We resign him to a reasonable deal and he replaces one of the starters when we can’t pay 4 DL 80 million each. 

That’s what the Ravens or Steelers would do. 

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

We resign him to a reasonable deal and he replaces one of the starters when we can’t pay 4 DL 80 million each. 

That’s what the Ravens or Steelers would do. 

Yeah I see no way we can keep this D-Line together after next year unless they play on team friendly deals. I think it's likely that Settle finds his way to the starting lineup eventually too, whether it be because we traded one of the other guys, or didn't re-sign them.