Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

3 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm bummed Caleb Brantley opted out. I think he would have thrived in this defense. Damarious Randall is still out there I think. He's got personality issues it seems but doubt he would disrupt this locker room. 

He would be 5th in the DT rotation behind Settle. I dont think he'd see enough snaps to make an impact honestly. As a matter of fact I'm not sure he would have made the team. 

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He had 1 penalty in the first game of the year, he didn't miss any tackles and he got burnt once and then the defense adjusted. 

Your solution of taking a great SS out of position so we have an even worse FS and less at SS doesn't improve the team. I doubt Apke gets left on an island against Hop and Fitz this week.

I don't understand the panic about Apke. I assume it's because of the score by Goddert, which they showed exactly why it happened after the play. He had to chose between helping over the top of WR1 and WR2 or leaving them alone and helping against the TE2 that ended up burning KPL over the top and Apke would have got there, but Wentz had the wherewithal to throw it outside of his left shoulder where only the TE can get it.

It was a great play by the Eagles. We adjusted and it ended.  

On the Goedart TD, I have only seen a handful of FS that would have been able to prevent that score and all those FS are in the HOF (or probably would be if they weren't murdered). I am sure Wentz was licking his chops once he saw that one vert was getting backer coverage and we only had one deep safety against two verts.  The one I would point to would be the overthrow that should have been a TD at the end of the half.  Even then, I'd question why you are putting a safety in that position.

31 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Sweat wasn't your regular late 1st round pick. He should have been a top 10 selection but teams had concern over his enlarged heart that actually turned out to be a non-issue because it was measured incorrectly. 

I still can't believe he fell that far. 6.5 sacks in his last 8 games. Sweat has officially arrived. He's missed a few gimmes too in there, he could have had one last Sunday instead of Kerrigan but Wentz ducked it. 

And, I thought he looked great against the run. Solid anchor but so rangy and so good on contain. Montez could be a huge key in containing Kyler on bootlegs. 

20 hours ago, mistertim said:

One thing I'm a bit worried about (but not too much, as it's only one game) is how much worse SDH's and KPL's PFF ratings were in coverage when compared to last season. 

SDH coverage grade last season: 89.7

SDH coverage grade Sunday: 27.2 (YIKES...usually a dude would have to be literally playing on a broken leg to be that bad)

KPL coverage grade last season: 91.0

KPL coverage grade Sunday: 59.4

Again, it's just one game...but I do recall us getting gashed on shallow to intermediate routes inside the hashes multiple times on Sunday, which would fall a lot on the LBs in a cover 3/4 look. Hopefully it's just adjustment to a new scheme. 

Is it possible its just a scheme thing?

Del Rio allowing certain things to lose a battle but win the war?

If a defense gets 8 sacks and generally has their way with the opposing teams offense for the majority of the game resulting in team defensive rankings that are off the charts then my opinion is that certain individual stats can be a little misleading. 

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Is it possible its just a scheme thing?

Del Rio allowing certain things to lose a battle but win the war?

If a defense gets 8 sacks and generally has their way with the opposing teams offense for the majority of the game resulting in team defensive rankings that are off the charts then my opinion is that certain individual stats can be a little misleading. 

Yeah it's certainly possible (and sometimes likely) that individual stats can be misinterpreted depending on scheme. That's why I noted that it wasn't a huge concern since it's only one game and it's a brand new system.

But two guys having their coverage grades fall by that much was a little eye-opening. I actually looked it up because I was trying to figure out how the Eagles were hitting guys between the hashes shallow so easily for a while there and found those numbers. It's also possible that some of completions were just well executed quick strike blitz-beaters and in that case there's not a whole lot you can do since you've vacated that space to get to the QB. The Eagles DO have possibly the best TE duo in the NFL, so there's that.

I'm curious to see if there's a positive shift in that in this upcoming game. If not, then I'll start to get more worried. 

On 9/16/2020 at 9:43 AM, FootballZombie said:

Whoa pump the brakes everybody. We got a little spoiled by 8 sacks on opening weekend. 5 sacks a game would break the all time team sack record by 8 sacks. 6 sacks a game and your starting a nuclear war at midfield because other nations see our D-line as a threat to their national security.

Please reread my post. I said nothing about 5 or 6 sacks per game. 

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

KPL showed some life. 

He was the wild card with the backers. Had one **** week and one good one. I'm okay with that.

We need another backer or two to pair with him. He's capable. 

I have to say I’m surprised SDH has done so poorly.  Bostic has looked pretty good coming forward - mainly as a rusher - but seems like a liability in coverage.  How much is this group affected by JDR simplifying things for the front 4?

If Foster is able to regain his form at some point this season, he could be a nice piece to solidify the front 7...

5 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I thought Moreau once again was our best corner. I remember only once catch that he was responsible for that whole game, could definitely be wrong on that one. 

It seemed like they picked on Moreland a lot. 

I think part of that is just about size. Moreland is like five foot two and Hopkins and Fitzgerald are tall six footers.  The NFL should allow Moreland to play with a sling ;)

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think part of that is just about size. Moreland is like five foot two and Hopkins and Fitzgerald are tall six footers.  The NFL should allow Moreland to play with a sling ;)

Yeah they were finding ways to get Fitzgerald matched up against him. Since Moreland isn't particularly athletic to make up for his lack of size, it was a bad matchup. 

Archived