Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

22 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're going to get 50+ sacks this year.

We were third in pressure % last season.  We're going to be first this season.  We'll see if that translates to great defense and wins this time.

No we won't.  Not even close.  Well, close, but close by the 4th game.  It's like baseball when a guy starts jacking homers, he ends up getting walked even with the bases loaded (happened to Barry Bonds).  After the 8th or 9th sack of the half, opponents will start "walking" our DL.

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The cowboys will be really good. That's a given, but there is no guarantee the Eagles or Giants will be better than us. There's no reason that playoffs shouldn't be our goal this year.

Hard to expect anything with Haskins being a question mark. If she shows early on that he’s ready to be a top half of the type guy, then I’m with you and believe anything can happen with solid QB play. 

6 hours ago, wit33 said:

What’s the window of time expected to become a playoff team? 

This idea the team is 3, 4, or 5 years away seems like failed logic. If the team isn’t ready to compete for the division next year I’d be disappointed. 

Only 1 coach in NFL history successfully took more than two years to build a multi-year playoff contender out of a non-expansion team and 3 more took a their team to a playoff in their third year or later and 2 were ours. The only two coaches we've had in my lifetime who built a consistent playoff contender did so in their first year and in their second year. I predict we will be a playoff team by next season or we'll be doing it with another coach.

32 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

No we won't.  Not even close.  Well, close, but close by the 4th game.  It's like baseball when a guy starts jacking homers, he ends up getting walked even with the bases loaded (happened to Barry Bonds).  After the 8th or 9th sack of the half, opponents will start "walking" our DL.

We got 46 last year.  We added Chase Young and didn't lose anyone.  We're definitely getting 50+ this year and I think 60 is in reach.  We could get 25 from the four interior DLs alone.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We got 46 last year.  We added Chase Young and didn't lose anyone.  We're definitely getting 50+ this year and I think 60 is in reach.  We could get 25 from the four interior DLs alone.

You can't sack if they don't pass.  It's like walking Barry Bonds with the bases loaded.  Sometimes you have to bite the bullet to avoid a probable worse fate.  I'm serious.  Make the other team run the football.  Make it disadvantageous to them to pass, especially with sacks.  Our DL can play the run and the other team isn't built to run, but have to to make any positive yardage.  Advantage:  Haskins.

4 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Only 1 coach in NFL history successfully took more than two years to build a multi-year playoff contender out of a non-expansion team and 3 more took a their team to a playoff in their third year or later and 2 were ours. The only two coaches we've had in my lifetime who built a consistent playoff contender did so in their first year and in their second year. I predict we will be a playoff team by next season or we'll be doing it with another coach.

With COVID, Haskins' work-in-progress, and Rivera's cancer, you look at what happened not just the final outcome.  Say we go 6-10 this year, no big losses, some bad luck, some inexperience.  Say next year we miss the playoffs on a last-second field goal and the reason we even fall that far is some bad breaks (i.e., we shoulda been 11-5 not 9-7)  You blow it all up?  Good luck keeping any free agents.

3 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

With COVID, Haskins' work-in-progress, and Rivera's cancer, you look at what happened not just the final outcome.  Say we go 6-10 this year, no big losses, some bad luck, some inexperience.  Say next year we miss the playoffs on a last-second field goal and the reason we even fall that far is some bad breaks (i.e., we shoulda been 11-5 not 9-7)  You blow it all up?  Good luck keeping any free agents.

I am not giving an opinion just relaying the fact that if we are not a playoff at least by next season, evidence indicates we need to move on if we have any desire for a multi-year playoff team.

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We would get 50 this year with last year’s roster. Sweat has a year of experience. And JDR’s scheme is so much more aggressive in terms of pass rushing. One gap, and tackle the RB on the way to the QB. And...we DID add Chase Young. I think 50 sacks should be expected as a floor. 

With regards to the MLB and coverage, you are right. There is no way Boston and Holcomb are covering those deep zones. That’s one more reason I like the idea of a Micah Parsons so much. He has the mobility to be a classic Tampa 2 ILB and could really open things up for us schematically. 

I see what people are getting at. Unless you are truly disgusting on the D-line its, hard to rack up gawdy sack totals. Teams are not going to sit there and let you tee off on their QBs.

Take the upcoming Philly game for example. If we get 2 sacks on Wentz in the first 2 drives, Philly is not going to go full steam ahead and let their QB get ragdolled. They are going to call more screens, runs and short developing plays to get the ball out of their guys hands. This will limit the amount of sacks they are capable of giving up and protect their most important player. While our D-line could be dominant, it is very possible that you come out of games with only a small handful of sacks.

While we certainly have the talent on the roster and a good scheme to get 50 sacks, its difficult to say that is something that will just happen. Especially if our offense struggles to score and the opposing team can just run the ball the entire game.

All that being said, I think I’m w/ stevemcqueen1 on this one. That is only a little over 3 sacks a game, and I can see that happening with all the oline injuries and rookies across the NFC East.

If our offense pops off and Sims takes that next step, Wright shows something, line holds up, AG is legit, whatever, and we have a shot to draft Parsons, I say do it. Double down on a strength again.

We haven't invest many resources into the offense in recent years like we have the defense. 

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If our offense pops off and Sims takes that next step, Wright shows something, line holds up, AG is legit, whatever, and we have a shot to draft Parsons, I say do it. Double down on a strength again.

We haven't invest many resources into the offense in recent years like we have the defense. 

I hear you bruh.

You have to be a good passing offense to rack up sacks. Put up points and make the other team throw the ball.

Teams will just run on us because we won't threaten them on offense and our LBs are still mediocre at best. We'll get sacks but this notion of getting 60 over a season is crazy.

I'm really excited to see Daron Payne 1 gapping.  If he does what I think he can, the DL is going to have a Renaissance.  Then you add in Chase Young and it's got some serious potential.

Chase Young is so fluid and redirects so well that the pressure the 1 gapping DT's create will give him opportunities.  QB's are going to have a hard time scrambling to avoid interior pressure.

He's not Aaron Donald.  But Payne can be some of that.  And Aaron Donald never had Edge rushers anything like what we have.  This is going to be really interesting.

13 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm really excited to see Daron Payne 1 gapping.  If he does what I think he can, the DL is going to have a Renaissance.  Then you add in Chase Young and it's got some serious potential.

Chase Young is so fluid and redirects so well that the pressure the 1 gapping DT's create will give him opportunities.  QB's are going to have a hard time scrambling to avoid interior pressure.

He's not Aaron Donald.  But Payne can be some of that.  And Aaron Donald never had Edge rushers anything like what we have.  This is going to be really interesting.

If they're really going to "take the chains off" Payne, there won't be a pocket to step into and Sweat and Young coming around the corners is going to be a lot to deal with. Awesome.

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

In a prior life, you were probably some Pacific theater egghead over at the Department of War in 1945 discussing discussing bombing raids with B-29s (world's first pressurized and automated bomber) vs. B-17s and 24s: "Our Pacific force commander is not the same guy who whacked Hammelburg, but he can do some of that.  And the European theater never had heavy bombers anything like what we have.  This is going to be really interesting."

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If they're really going to "take the chains off" Payne, there won't be a pocket to step into and Sweat and Young coming around the corners is going to be a lot to deal with. Awesome.

Payne and Io up the middle, Young, and Sweat/Kerrigan on the edge.  You can double 3 of them.  That leaves one free which you hold.  That's 7 guys.  QB = 8.  It's a passing down so there's 3 WRs.  That means that either Collins or Apke will lead the league in sacks (assuming the hold is either not called or we decline it).

These guys are absolute animals.  That was an unbelievably dominant performance.  I thought they got dinged with some ticky-tack from the officials too.  A Neutral-zone infraction whistle that was 4 minutes late and a pressure that caused an INT called back because there were some fingers in the neutral zone.

I can't wait to see them next week.

Some comments from Cowboys fans:

"Washington’s DL is legit "

"8 sacks!"

"This Washington team is a problem."

"Yes it is. As you like to say “That defense is salty”

"Their front 7 is a problem for sure! "

"Their defense is legit. I mean that pass rush is going to cause problems"

"I told people on here this offseason their defense is for real. I though they'd go 8-8. Offensively.....they still just don't have much to like but hell......if their defense is going to play like this.....they may not need them to do much."

"...give credit to the Washington Football team. That defensive line will be trouble for quite a while."

"Damn... Washington's D is looking a bit concerning."

"You’d be foolish to deny the reality that Washington’s DL can change games. They have the best DL in football."

Thing I saw on the sack highlights is that it generally wasn't just one guy getting through.  That whole line was running through walls for Coach.  I told you we were built to stop the pass and we certainly did.  With all the controversy swirling around the Team, a rook at RDE, a 2nd-year player at LDE, a DT who can't spell PAIN, a DT whose name can't be spelled, and a guy who's so old he just set the Team sack record, 8 sacks against last year's division winner.  Eight sacks.

RUFKM???  8???  That's it???

Archived