Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

I suppose I could see Holcolmb at SAM, but I'd be super wary about him in coverage. He had a very good run defense grade last season (71.3) but a really bad coverage grade (43.4). Obviously he can improve from his rookie year but it would still give me pause. I'm guessing at SAM we're going to have a rotation, depending on the down and distance. 

On 8/15/2020 at 3:19 PM, mistertim said:

I suppose I could see Holcolmb at SAM, but I'd be super wary about him in coverage. He had a very good run defense grade last season (71.3) but a really bad coverage grade (43.4). Obviously he can improve from his rookie year but it would still give me pause. I'm guessing at SAM we're going to have a rotation, depending on the down and distance. 

He was a rookie, on a bad team, with a terrible DC. I like him to look much better this year. 

Reuben Foster must be looking pretty healthy out there for Thomas Davis to say this. 

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We need a drool face emoji. Adding him would make this one of the best young front 7s I've ever seen. 

I think it could potentially be the best front 7 ever if everyone pans out to be 90% of what’s expected. Ever. 

But we would still need CB’s. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I don’t see sweat as a 15 sack a year guy. If we are lucky, he’s a rich man’s Ryan Kerrigan. Maybe a better example would be Jadaveon Clowney. Sweat has great burst and length, but isn’t a tremendous natural pass rusher in terms of move repertoire or hand use and doesn’t bend super well. If we get very good run defense and 10-12 sacks, I’d consider that pick a success. 

17 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t see sweat as a 15 sack a year guy. If we are lucky, he’s a rich man’s Ryan Kerrigan. Maybe a better example would be Jadaveon Clowney. Sweat has great burst and length, but isn’t a tremendous natural pass rusher in terms of move repertoire or hand use and doesn’t bend super well. If we get very good run defense and 10-12 sacks, I’d consider that pick a success. 

I would consider that a huge success for a late 1st round pick who was the 5th player to come off the board at his position.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a 15 sack-per-year guy.  At least, I would hope not.  A Kerrigan-type career would be an amazing outcome.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Please cut and paste Micah Parsons into the photo. Holcomb-SAM  Parsons-MIKE  Foster- WILL

That would be ludicrous. As others have said, we would likely have the best front 7 in the NFL hands down. Though obviously that would depend on a couple of things: 1) Foster returning to his pre-injury form, and 2) Holcolmb continuing to develop into a really good all around linebacker.

I think Parsons may very well go top 5 and could be out of our reach, but this coming draft is going to be really odd with all of the conferences canceling or at least "delaying" their seasons so there's almost no way to know how things will go down when there are quite possibly going to be guys on the draft board who nobody has seen play since their sophomore season.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I would consider that a huge success for a late 1st round pick who was the 5th player to come off the board at his position.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a 15 sack-per-year guy.  At least, I would hope not.  A Kerrigan-type career would be an amazing outcome.

Yeah a 10 sack per year guy is definitely what I'd consider a successful pick. 

Gotta realize how few guys in the NFL are the 15+ sack per year dudes. Those are the truly elite top 3 All-Pro guys. That's who Chase could very well be. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

I really liked seeing these and they match what I'm hearing him say now about film study and developing a plan for each week. Also, on a side note it was cool to hear Julie Donaldson say that KPL is working with the 1st Team a lot in practice. I'm looking forward to them putting on the pads tomorrow.

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 1

Now that we are in pads, hopefully we can get a little clarity on the LB corps. A lot of pieces there. Gotta figure out what guys work where and if we can move forward with players like Foster.

Trying to navigate that player pool has been like shuffling around in an eerie fog. Made all the worse by Zombie’s refusal to use a Garmin. His brain compass will get him there eventually.

22 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

this is a confusing tweet because they dont include the total number of snaps taken... took me reading it about 4 times to realize the point was that he played more 2 point stance, as well as 3 times as much coverage in 1 year in the NFL, than he did in 4 years as in College... It's also a bit misleading that he only actually played for 2 seasons, not 4.

That all said, I do think it's still a very valid point.  Sweat, and the defense as a whole, was used very ineffectively.  I'm really excited to see what Del Rio and co does to used the talent we have vs trying to take talent and mold it to a system.  

Edited by OVCChairman
23 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

lolol if he gets 10-12 sacks a year and very good run defense every year he'd be a perennial Pro Bowler.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

lolol if he gets 10-12 sacks a year and very good run defense every year he'd be a perennial Pro Bowler.

I was talking about what I perceive expectations to be on this forum. I don’t expect Sweat to become an extraordinary pass rusher and I think expectations for his sack output have been too high. 

That being said, he had 7 sacks as a rookie in a 3-4. I fully expect him to get 10-11 this year. I just don’t expect him to be a constant pressure type guy that is overly disruptive. I expect him to get stymied a lot and occasionally break through and collect a sack. I just don’t think he has the bend, pass rush moves, or synchronized hands and feet that you’d like to see in a guy that’s going to generate a lot of pressure. But, I’d love to be wrong. 

Also, Sweat looked pretty good coming around the corner on Moses today. 

On 8/17/2020 at 2:28 PM, Anselmheifer said:

I don't know about this....with the d-tackles we have and Chase on the other side, Sweat could very well put up a 15 sack season. He's only gonna get better as he gets experience and he's gonna benefit from the other talent around him. If I were a betting man I would wager a cheese steak against you that Sweat has a 15 sack season in his career. 

On 8/15/2020 at 9:19 PM, mistertim said:

I saw some drop back footwork drills today. Let's say...that not his strong suit. You really need to let him go downhill. His run stopping instinct is what makes him good. Limit his coverage time or help him out with some zone concepts that just let him drop back to a spot. 1v1 against TEs and RB he will struggle. Ofcourse he can improve but I don't expect much. 

Not sure if we still have a DB/LB guy who can just be a hybrid on third down. 🤔 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I saw some drop back footwork drills today. Let's say...that not his strong suit. You really need to let him go downhill. His run stopping instinct is what makes him good. Limit his coverage time or help him out with some zone concepts that just let him drop back to a spot. 1v1 against TEs and RB he will struggle. Ofcourse he can improve but I don't expect much. 

Not sure if we still have a DB/LB guy who can just be a hybrid on third down. 🤔 

SDH is. That kid we drafted is too. JHC would be, but he's out this year.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

SDH is. That kid we drafted is too. JHC would be, but he's out this year.

I'd include KPL in there as well. He's a moderately sized LB (6'0 230) who had an elite PFF grade in coverage last season (91.0) but a mediocre run defense grade (61.9).

Though one thing about KPL that also stands out is his pass rushing grade. He hasn't been super productive as a pass rusher but his grade was extremely high (86.1), so it may have more to do with not getting as many chances than his ability to get pressure. 

• Like 1