Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

15 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Why not Collins @ FS & Curl SS?  Apke is just not going to cut it.

That's the second worst idea I've seen today. Apke was fine in the second half. Seriously, the fastest WR group, with two elite TEs and you leave the FS on an island? Terrible idea. Nobody got behind him in th second half, did they? Nope.

18 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Curl, Moreland, and Collins absolutely destroyed the Eagles screen game all day long.

And that's a strength of the Cardinals pass game. 

On 9/14/2020 at 6:13 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

That is Redskin-esque :ols:

On 9/14/2020 at 12:26 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kept everyone's snap counts below 60.  That is beautiful.  That's how you keep your DL fast and fresh through the end of the game.

The offense did their job and scored enough points and controlled the ball long enough to give the defense a chance to dominate.  Hopefully we can replicate this formula for many more games.

This should get better and better as the season goes on and teams wear down, too. And outside of Kerrigan, all these cats are on rookie deals for a couple years so it's not changing any time soon.

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

@Koolblue13 Apke is going to get roasted @ Arizona.  He shouldn’t be on the field.  Anything is a better idea than having him getting burnt, missing tackles and collecting dumb penalties.

He had 1 penalty in the first game of the year, he didn't miss any tackles and he got burnt once and then the defense adjusted. 

Your solution of taking a great SS out of position so we have an even worse FS and less at SS doesn't improve the team. I doubt Apke gets left on an island against Hop and Fitz this week.

I don't understand the panic about Apke. I assume it's because of the score by Goddert, which they showed exactly why it happened after the play. He had to chose between helping over the top of WR1 and WR2 or leaving them alone and helping against the TE2 that ended up burning KPL over the top and Apke would have got there, but Wentz had the wherewithal to throw it outside of his left shoulder where only the TE can get it.

It was a great play by the Eagles. We adjusted and it ended.  

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He had 1 penalty in the first game of the year, he didn't miss any tackles and he got burnt once and then the defense adjusted. 

Your solution of taking a great SS out of position so we have an even worse FS and less at SS doesn't improve the team. I doubt Apke gets left on an island against Hop and Fitz this week.

I don't understand the panic about Apke. I assume it's because of the score by Goddert, which they showed exactly why it happened after the play. He had to chose between helping over the top of WR1 and WR2 or leaving them alone and helping against the TE2 that ended up burning KPL over the top and Apke would have got there, but Wentz had the wherewithal to throw it outside of his left shoulder where only the TE can get it.

It was a great play by the Eagles. We adjusted and it ended.  

Apke did miss a tackle.  I watched it with my own eyes.

0:18 Mark.

He’s always late to the play or missing tackles.  The penalty I won’t kill him for even tho it killed the defense and extended a drive that should have resulted in a punt. Apke has never been good.  He’s been here a while now it’s not like this was his first career game.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:01 PM, BraveWarrior said:

Loved the 8 sacks, 2 INTs, forced fumble and recovery against Wentz, but this was a Philly O-line with some issues. If we can get5 or 6 sacks against a couple of really good O-lines, and the LBs and secondary step up a lot, then I'll feel better about our prospects for the season.    

Whoa pump the brakes everybody. We got a little spoiled by 8 sacks on opening weekend. 5 sacks a game would break the all time team sack record by 8 sacks. 6 sacks a game and your starting a nuclear war at midfield because other nations see our D-line as a threat to their national security.

I don't think it is very realistic that we put up those numbers week in and week out. I would think around 4 a game would be great.

I want to give Apke a little credit on Mooreland’s pick. Jimmy and the receiver were in the mix of fighting for the ball and Apke came over and hammered the receiver as Jimmy pulled the ball in and raced down the field. 

Who knows what would have happened if Apke didn’t smash that receiver. Little things like that go unnoticed but Jimmy didn’t fully secure the ball until after Apke hit the Philly receiver. 

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Apke did miss a tackle.  I watched it with my own eyes.

0:18 Mark.

He’s always late to the play or missing tackles.  The penalty I won’t kill him for even tho it killed the defense and extended a drive that should have resulted in a punt. Apke has never been good.  He’s been here a while now it’s not like this was his first career game.

You should call RR and JDR and let them know we have an awful player at FS and they were wrong about keeping 1 FS and nobody else. Then suggest putting Collins there, so we can suck at both FS and SS because it would make our team so much better.

Front is so ****ing good we have Matt Ioannidis and Ryan Kerrigan coming off the bench.  This is a true embarrassment of riches.  And the best part is its synergistic.  They make each other play better by keeping snap counts down and flushing the ball in the backfield.

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I was told with utter surety that we would be playing Cover 2 and our Mikes would be playing Tampa zones.  Am I not to believe what I read here on ExtremeSkins?

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Front is so ****ing good we have Matt Ioannidis and Ryan Kerrigan coming off the bench.  This is a true embarrassment of riches.  And the best part is its synergistic.  They make each other play better by keeping snap counts down and flushing the ball in the backfield.

And they're almost all on rookie deals that last a couple years. This line isn't going anywhere. It's down right hysterical. Payne is only 21 yo. This is absolutely amazing. Our defense in the second half of games this year is going to just take games over constantly and let our DBs be crazy aggressive. This is going to be so fun to watch.

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I was told with utter surety that we would be playing Cover 2 and our Mikes would be playing Tampa zones.  Am I not to believe what I read here on ExtremeSkins?

I didn't see that discussion.  Must have been amusing.  I was always on the heavy Cover 3 / Cover 1 boat myself, given our personnel and JDR's history.

4 hours ago, -JB- said:

Why not Collins @ FS & Curl SS?  Apke is just not going to cut it.

Collins strength isn't being the center fielder, covering sideline to sideline with speed. His strength is in the box. I believe Curl is the same with a 40 time of 4.6, but I haven't watched enough of his tape to form my own opinion. 

Apke has that speed, his problem is pulling the trigger on a decision and trusting his eyes. That's why he's late on his angles and hitting the gas to cover the TE and WR streaking down the seams. However, on the one TD that people are killing him on, he was dealing with choosing between two people threatening to  attack deep and it held him long enough for Wentz to attack the outside leverage and put the ball in a place where only Ertz or Goeddert could get it. He needs to do better for sure and that comes with experience, but for that single play I understand why he missed. The key now will be seeing if he does improve or is he just another guy who can't process fast enough to make use of his speed in the NFL.

Edit: Lol, I should have read more of the thread before responding. @Koolblue13 pretty much said everything I just wrote.

I still don't know why Rivera decided to sign Davis over Tre Boston.  I'll never agree with that decision.  

Boston, with this defensive front, would have had 6+ INTs.  His knock is run defense, but so is Apke's.  And Boston is much better in coverage.  Also, Boston had 6 tackles and 1 forced fumble last Sunday, so maybe his run defense has improved.

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I still don't know why Rivera decided to sign Davis over Tre Boston.  I'll never agree with that decision.  

Boston, with this defensive front, would have had 6+ INTs.  His knock is run defense, but so is Apke's.  And Boston is much better in coverage.  Also, Boston had 6 tackles and 1 forced fumble last Sunday, so maybe his run defense has improved.

I think it's the youth movement. Tre Boston is 28 and Sean Davis is 26. I doubt he fit with the long term vision.

48 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You should call RR and JDR and let them know we have an awful player at FS and they were wrong about keeping 1 FS and nobody else. Then suggest putting Collins there, so we can suck at both FS and SS because it would make our team so much better.

I was merely asking that question in jest because Apke is so bad lol 

1 minute ago, Fresh8686 said:

I think it's the youth movement. Tre Boston is 28 and Sean Davis is 26. I doubt he fit with the long term vision.

That was my assumption, but I don't think it's very consistent.  If that's the case, why sign KPL and start him over Holcomb?  I think the coaches are going to regret not signing Boston if this team ends up being competitive this season.

25 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I didn't see that discussion.  Must have been amusing.  I was always on the heavy Cover 3 / Cover 1 boat myself, given our personnel and JDR's history.

Yeah Cover 3 is the right scheme for us.  For most teams I think.  Pretty good flexibility within the scheme and generally gives you the best fronts for one-gapping and stopping the run.

49 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

And they're almost all on rookie deals that last a couple years. This line isn't going anywhere. It's down right hysterical. Payne is only 21 yo. This is absolutely amazing. Our defense in the second half of games this year is going to just take games over constantly and let our DBs be crazy aggressive. This is going to be so fun to watch.

I'm geeking out about it.  Even though it feels like talking about a potential no-hitter in the second inning, I'm just going to say this because I know we're all thinking it: this team has some 2019 49ers energy.  We're sitting here on a Wednesday still chalk-talking and feeling good instead of bickering, despite all of the crazy stuff that's going on with the franchise and the world.  It feels like the team has righted itself and that we have a football identity that makes sense.  A Gibbsian stoic good guy coach that gave us our pride back and commands all of our respect.  Big strong quarterback who is hungry to prove himself.  Ferocious defense full of guys who have been warrior elite their whole lives and are used to competing at the highest level of the sport and can not stand to lose.  Maybe we don't have much talent on offense, but we've got guys who are grinders who are smart and don't play with ego.  Guys like McLaurin who is out their planting defenders in the run game even though he's our star receiver and we would still love him even if he gave half that amount of effort.

It feels like there is some good mojo in the locker room for a change and that the players are remembering how good they are and gaining confidence.  They're actually having fun.  That is powerful.

29 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

24 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That was my assumption, but I don't think it's very consistent.  If that's the case, why sign KPL and start him over Holcomb?  I think the coaches are going to regret not signing Boston if this team ends up being competitive this season.

Boston could just be a douchebag too and nobody wanted him in the lockerroom. We're building something special and specific. They decided very early that Trap was the man, so lets see how he improves or doesn't. I think he's being unfairly criticized for sure. After the entire defense looked bad for a quarter, he was part of them that held the Eagles scoreless the rest of the game and played every single snap.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm geeking out about it.  Even though it feels like talking about a potential no-hitter in the second inning, I'm just going to say this because I know we're all thinking it: this team has some 2019 49ers energy.  We're sitting here on a Wednesday still chalk-talking and feeling good instead of bickering, despite all of the crazy stuff that's going on with the franchise and the world.  It feels like the team has righted itself and that we have a football identity that makes sense.  A Gibbsian stoic good guy coach that gave us our pride back and commands all of our respect.  Big strong quarterback who is hungry to prove himself.  Ferocious defense full of guys who have been warrior elite their whole lives and are used to competing at the highest level of the sport and can not stand to lose.  Maybe we don't have much talent on offense, but we've got guys who are grinders who are smart and don't play with ego.  Guys like McLaurin who is out their planting defenders in the run game even though he's our star receiver and we would still love him even if he gave half that amount of effort.

It feels like there is some good mojo in the locker room for a change and that the players are remembering how good they are and gaining confidence.  They're actually having fun.  That is powerful.

Beautifully put man. When you look at rosters around the league, the talent level is pretty similar from top to bottom, other than teams that have some star power, which is what Chase has definitely brought in with him. Other guys are going to step up. It really does seem like they all are on the same page and just super happy to be fighting along side each other and just having fun. Like RR said in the post game "I told you that if everyone bought in, you'd see that we will win". Haskins giving the halftime speech is huge too. He wasn't crushing the game stats and was struggling, but he was doing his best and that's all you can ask. 

I really like this team. I love how young it is too. It really feels like a team full of teammates, which I can't remember having since a Gibbs II team full of Veterans was here.

I'm really geeking out too. It's surprisingly exciting. We didn't just win. We stomped the NFC East champs.

One thing I'm a bit worried about (but not too much, as it's only one game) is how much worse SDH's and KPL's PFF ratings were in coverage when compared to last season. 

SDH coverage grade last season: 89.7

SDH coverage grade Sunday: 27.2 (YIKES...usually a dude would have to be literally playing on a broken leg to be that bad)

KPL coverage grade last season: 91.0

KPL coverage grade Sunday: 59.4

Again, it's just one game...but I do recall us getting gashed on shallow to intermediate routes inside the hashes multiple times on Sunday, which would fall a lot on the LBs in a cover 3/4 look. Hopefully it's just adjustment to a new scheme. 

Archived