Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

36 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I was disappointed that we didn’t sign CJ Mosley. Can you imagine how the Jets must feel now? He’s 28yo. Just lost one season to injury and opted out this season. 

It's going to set them back in their rebuild. Losing Jamal Adams also had to have an effect on his decision. The Bills are going to sleepwalk and win that division, I expect the AFC East to be the worst division in the league by a mile this year. 

Orchard is probably our fourth best edge guy, but might be one of the more opportunistic players on the D. He makes the most of every rep. Seems to have a great mind. An argument can be made for him being top 3 edge on a play to play basis.

Young, Sweat are the top 2. Talent wise, of course. Production wise remains to be seen for all of them except Kerrigan. 

Big Orchard fan, though. He made the most of his opportunities. 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Orchard is probably our fourth best edge guy, but might be one of the more opportunistic players on the D. He makes the most of every rep. Seems to have a great mind. An argument can be made for him being top 3 edge on a play to play basis.

Young, Sweat are the top 2. Talent wise, of course. Production wise remains to be seen for all of them except Kerrigan. 

Big Orchard fan, though. He made the most of his opportunities. 

Man after seeing his tear filled interview after he got his shot here I have been rooting for him ever since.  

Love this reply to the tweet. 

Also, because of his size and arm length and the way his head is facing down, but he's looking up, he looks like an ogre or giant from a children's book. I wish we had seen more from Montez this offseason. He doesn't seem like an instagram workout type guy. I'm rooting hard for him. 

image.png.2669b8343112c8460aa713df556492f8.png

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Love this reply to the tweet. 

Also, because of his size and arm length and the way his head is facing down, but he's looking up, he looks like an ogre or giant from a children's book. I wish we had seen more from Montez this offseason. He doesn't seem like an instagram workout type guy. I'm rooting hard for him. 

Yea Montez looks even bigger than last year.  But seriously did you have to call him an ogre 😂?  Or maybe that’s funny to me because there was someone I knew in middle school that we used to call that.  But at least he knew about it.

These defensive ends are comic book characters.  This is the most raw talent we've had at the position, maybe ever.  We've got to shape that into a machine that maximizes that talent.  It would be a tragedy for football if we squander our edge talent with our traditional Redskins mom and pop bull****.

Del Rio has mentioned Ryan Anderson in interviews enough for me to take him at his word and suppose that Anderson is one of his favorite players on the roster.  Anderson is one of those guys who is an extension of the coaching staff on the field.  They use him to push the other guys on the defense and set the tone.  He is also the type of player with a knack for seizing the moment and making big plays in big games.  I think his individual play is going to be a bellwether for the season.  If we use him well and he is balling out, then it probably means the defense as a whole is kicking ass and our season is going to go much better than everyone is expecting.  He's a winning team ball player who can be the tip of the spear for a really really good group, like he was on that 2016 Bama defense.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Payne is definitely the dark horse to blow up big time this year and that will just **** every OCs plan up big time.

I think Payne could have a really good year, but Settle is actually my dark horse candidate. IMO he's showed some even better flashes of dominance than Payne has. How, he hasn't been as consistent as Payne, but there have been several games where he looked borderline unstoppable on many of the snaps I watched him play.

One way or the other, someone is going to feast on every snap. You can't double CY, Ioan, and Payne at the same time unless you're running 22 personnel every single snap.

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I do think Ryan Anderson is still our best linebacker.  I can’t speak on the new guys, but I feel the rest are somewhat interchangeable; but I’m not great at picking apart linebackers.

Still? At what point was Ryan Anderson EVER our best LB? He wasn't our best OLB last year or the year prior. And he hasn't played ILB for us. And if he did, he'd be too slow to cover. I like him just fine as our 4th edge player, which is a total waste for a 2nd round pick. And honestly, Jordan Brailford has a lower floor, but probably also has more upside. 

I was watching that training camp live thing WFT has on their YouTube channel and it was cool to hear Julie Donaldson say that Reuben Foster is viewed as definitely being ready to play some time this season. She basically said it’s not a question of if, but when, even if it does end up being some time in the middle of the season. 

I can’t wait to see what he brings to this LB group. 

13 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Still? At what point was Ryan Anderson EVER our best LB? He wasn't our best OLB last year or the year prior. And he hasn't played ILB for us. And if he did, he'd be too slow to cover. I like him just fine as our 4th edge player, which is a total waste for a 2nd round pick. And honestly, Jordan Brailford has a lower floor, but probably also has more upside. 

I say still because I have always thought so.  He may not be consistent.  But he makes impactful plays at crucial moments.  I’m not sure where he was lined up when he was making all of these plays.  But I’m sure he wasn’t on the line or edge every time.

From what I’ve seen, I don’t expect Foster to start the season.  And it will take him a while to get back to where he was.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I say still because I have always thought so.  He may not be consistent.  But he makes impactful plays at crucial moments.  I’m not sure where he was lined up when he was making all of these plays.  But I’m sure he wasn’t on the line or edge every time.

From what I’ve seen, I don’t expect Foster to start the season.  And it will take him a while to get back to where he was.

I would agree a bit that Anderson is a little underrated but I wouldn't go far beyond that. I think he's a solid guy who's good against the run, a decent pass rusher, and makes plays sometimes, but IMO he has limited athletic ability which will hinder his chances of being a true every down 4-3 LB. I wouldn't trust him to cover a TE as a SAM and certainly wouldn't trust him to potentially cover a slot WR as a WILL. I think he's more of a situational guy you line up at SAM as an extra pass rusher or to set the edge vs a likely run.

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Anderson will be good at defending against the run and doing little things like setting the edge and taking on blocks to free up other guys. I can see why the coaches love him but he'll never really be a star in this league.

I think hes the kind of guy that will be a star on the team. Much like Steve was saying about. The tip of the spear, heart of the lion kind of thing.

Look at that get off for a man at that size. A 1-gap penetrating scheme will make Daron Payne a problem for offenses, lol although he might have gotten an early jump. And I'm happy as hell to see Montez still pulling ahead even with the added weight in that second group. Chase had him up until the last leg, till Montez hit him with that final burst. You can see Chase hates to lose.

Sweat is faster, Chase has the better first step. That's pretty much exactly what most of us figured I would guess. Payne is one quick dude for his size too, he has these short little choppy steps that seem unnaturally fast for a guys his size lol. 

If this D-Line becomes special I'm already coining the nickname 'The Red Tide' for them. Ioannidis, Allen, Payne, Sweat, Young, and Anderson all wore red jerseys in college and now join another team that wears red. 

Hard to tell with Payne but it does not look like he crossed the line before the whistle.  It looks like he anticipated the "snap" and was in motion, overcoming inertia, when the whistle blew.  I so want to see Sweat run with the ball (if he has hands).  With his size and speed, wow.  Also, it looks like Sweat was able to stop at the line on the return whereas Chase took an extra step so when Sweat turned around for his final "lap", he was a step ahead of Chase.  (IOW, Sweat didn't overrun the play.)

Archived