Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

and that's how Kerrigan gets his sack numbers.

Actually it probably has a bit more to do with Ioan getting double teamed somewhat often. In the Allen bull rush play above you see it. Ioan gets doubled by a G/C combo block, Kerrigan and Allen get 1 on 1 matchups. 

14 hours ago, mistertim said:

Actually it probably has a bit more to do with Ioan getting double teamed somewhat often. In the Allen bull rush play above you see it. Ioan gets doubled by a G/C combo block, Kerrigan and Allen get 1 on 1 matchups. 

And Kerrigan just carried the RT into the QBs lap. 

On 7/17/2020 at 12:31 PM, Anselmheifer said:

Any summary of that video?

Thanks to whomever posted the Foster video....I am so pulling/hoping he can return and play at full speed with the others we have on defense. He looks great and seems in great spirits...Just imagine adding a healthy Foster along with Chase Young to our defense? Wow, we could be a sick defense.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:47 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So, any thoughts on our front 7 at the minute :rofl89:

I'm holding out hope for this as the starting front 7:

Sweat

Payne

Allen

The Predator

Thomas Davis

Reuben Foster

Cole Holcomb

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Thanks to whomever posted the Foster video....I am so pulling/hoping he can return and play at full speed with the others we have on defense. He looks great and seems in great spirits...Just imagine adding a healthy Foster along with Chase Young to our defense? Wow, we could be a sick defense.

Sweat

Payne

Allen

The Predator

Thomas Davis

Reuben Foster

Cole Holcomb

Loannidis is in the starting line up for me. 

HTTR 

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Sweat

Payne

Allen

The Predator

Thomas Davis

Reuben Foster

Cole Holcomb

I think it really depends on the down and distance. If we're running something like a 4-3 Under front then I could see an early down/short yardage package of Sweat/Kerrigan/Chase at LDE, Payne at 1 tech, Allen as 3 tech, and Chase/Kerrigan/Sweat at RDE with Anderson as a SAM up near the LOS. For a late down/long yardage passing situation I could see them putting in Ioan and Allen in at 1 and 3 tech (Payne is an ok pass rusher but they're both better than he is) with Sweat/Kerrigan as a strong side DE and Chase as a wide 9 weak side DE. Then at SAM you put in someone who can cover better than Anderson. Maybe SDH?

NFL defensive line rankings: All 32 units entering the 2020 NFL season

3. WASHINGTON

Chase Young will be the most intriguing player to watch on Washington’s front line. The No. 2 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft may be the best pass-rusher to come into the NFL in a decade, and we have seen some excellent ones arrive over that time. He was able to statistically separate himself from players like the Bosa brothers and Myles Garrett during their college careers and could be a transcendent player for a defensive front that has had a lot of good players recently but, perhaps, lacked true star power. Young gives the team five former first-round picks along the defensive line, each of whom has shown flashes. 

Ryan Kerrigan has been consistently excellent for Washington, but he posted the lowest pressure total (37) and PFF grade (63.1) of his career in 2019, and at 32 years old by the time the season starts, he may have his best days behind him. Montez Sweat will have a chance to take a step forward and potentially supplant Kerrigan, along with Young, if he can improve on his rookie performance.

Inside, the former Alabama pairing of Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen should be a pair to be reckoned with, but they were actually outdone in terms of snaps by Matt Ioannidis, who had the best pass-rushing grade (76.6) of the unit. Ioannidis led the team in total pressures (55) and will look to maintain his role despite being surrounded by first-rounders. Ryan Anderson, another one of the few non-first-rounders on Washington's line, saw more snaps in 2019 than he saw in his previous two seasons combined, but he may be the first to lose playing time with Chase Young's arrival.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

Interesting rankings there.  Top 5:

1) Steelers

2) Eagles

3) Us

4) 49ers

5) Packers

Surprised by the Packers and our spots.  In fairness a fair amount of our projection has to be a big guess based on coaching/scheme change/Chase Young.  So I could see us at that spot or anywhere in the Top 10.

Other key teams:

14) Cowboys

26) Giants, although they do have an odd tender/tag placed on their best Edge player where he reverts to their roster if no other team wants to sign him

32) Seahawks, not relevant to us, just surprised how a team with a good-great defense for years now has a DL in the dumps

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think Kerrigan starts over Sweat.

I dunno, Kerrigan had an off year last season, Sweat looked pretty good down the stretch, and he has the higher potential at this point. I'd want to get him as many snaps as I could and rotate Kerrigan in as well to make sure everyone is fresh.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I dunno, Kerrigan had an off year last season, Sweat looked pretty good down the stretch, and he has the higher potential at this point. I'd want to get him as many snaps as I could and rotate Kerrigan in as well to make sure everyone is fresh.

Kerrigan has the 4th highest cap hit in 2020.

Worse still, he actually has the 3rd highest pure cash hit, excluding Young, on the team. Just short of 12mil, only behind Scherff on the tag and the crocked Smith.

That 12mil pretty much comes back in full off the cap if he wasn’t here, so he has to start or he should be released/restructured. Makes no sense otherwise.

26 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Kerrigan has the 4th highest cap hit in 2020.

Worse still, he actually has the 3rd highest pure cash hit, excluding Young, on the team. Just short of 12mil, only behind Scherff on the tag and the crocked Smith.

That 12mil pretty much comes back in full off the cap if he wasn’t here, so he has to start or he should be released/restructured. Makes no sense otherwise.

I can see the rationale behind that, but I'd think that Rivera and JDR will put the guy out there who they think has the best chance of making an impact, regardless of salary. I'm with you on restructuring Kerrigan if possible. Then again we're not exactly in cap hell or anything; we're second only to the Browns as far as available cap space. 

Either way, I think both of them will get plenty of playing time since DL guys get rotated often, especially if you have really good depth, which we do.

It might not matter who starts at Edge, the team might try for a very healthy rotation where Sweat/Young/Kerrigan all play about 60-70% of the game.  Rotations are key.  When the Eagles won in 2017, they had 4 quality Edge guys, and I'm not sure if any of them got over 50% of the snaps.  When the Broncos won in 2015, that was the year Von Miller had the lowest snap % in his career, though it was still fairly high at 75ish%.

I think you still want Kerrigan to be there even if he doesn't revert to prime form.  His variety of bull rushes are useful for Young and Sweat to see.  How he works out, eats, and structures his day are considered high quality.

Young has enough potential to be THE future of the defense.  Paying Kerrigan his contract to put a quality veteran next to Young in his rookie year is probably a good thing and not a bad thing.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

More Settle. It's what we need.

I thought it was more cowbell that we needed?!?

Best part about getting excited about settle is when you realize he is probably our 7th best d lineman, and that's not a knock on settle.  Can't wait to see this d line in action.

Archived