Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

22 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I agree with your general premise but Preston Smith was much better than average here. Advanced metrics suggested he was one of the top pass rushers in the league but we had him out in coverage or setting the edge way too often.

I'm so glad we're not gonna ruin Chase Young with the clowns we've had running our D the last few years. He'd cap out at like 8 sacks a year.

I'm really excited to see what Payne can do this year. I am so excited in general to see what we can do with these players and top level coaching.

17 hours ago, mistertim said:

Cover 1 is a really cool scheme...but only if you have the horses to successfully implement it. You have to have a FS with outstanding range and recognition, as well as some really good CBs who can stick with the outside receivers. IMO it's easy to say that the Pats Cover 1 was awesome because...well, they had the best damn secondary in the NFL. If a team without the right players tried to run it, it could be absolutely disastrous. 

Yeah, this is definitely true.  But I trust JDR to get the most out of what he has.  He's proven that he can do so.  Even Belichick has had to make due with what he had in the years he didn't have the best CB in the league.

I'm going to be really disappointed if Kerrigan beats Sweat out as a starter. 

I think Sweat and Young should start at LDE and Young at RDE. But I'm surprised if we are trying to get all of our best talent on the field, that nobody has mentioned playing Sweat at SAM. That would be a nasty blitz package with Sweat, Chase Young, Kerrigan, Ioannidis and Allen all rushing the passer. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

But I'm surprised if we are trying to get all of our best talent on the field, that nobody has mentioned playing Sweat at SAM. That would be a nasty blitz package with Sweat, Chase Young, Kerrigan, Ioannidis and Allen all rushing the passer. 

It would be, and I've thought about it as well.  But that would leave us with the same problem so many of us hated last year - Sweat in coverage way more often than he should be.  Plus, I wouldn't trust him playing man defense on TEs.  Just imagining him trying to defend Kittle, Ertz, Goedert, Engram, etc. on intermediate or deep routes this upcoming season makes me cringe.  This is also why I have a hard time seeing Ryan Anderson being successful at SAM.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS: CB RONALD DARBY

The NFL is a “what have you done for me lately” league, and Darby’s recent results have been disappointing to say the least. He was beat up pretty good with the Philadelphia Eagles last season, earning just a 39.8 grade in coverage and allowing a passer rating of 117.9 on throws into his coverage for the year. Here at PFF, though, work done over the last several years by our research and development team has shown that results in coverage are relatively unstable from year to year. That means that someone like Darby — who graded between 68.3 and 78.3 in each of the first four years of his career — has a decent chance of bouncing back from a down year in 2020. While others may put too much weight on a bad 2019 season, I like what Washington did by bringing in a 26-year-old with four quality seasons of starting experience on his resume. 

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think Sweat and Young should start at LDE and Young at RDE. But I'm surprised if we are trying to get all of our best talent on the field, that nobody has mentioned playing Sweat at SAM. That would be a nasty blitz package with Sweat, Chase Young, Kerrigan, Ioannidis and Allen all rushing the passer. 

I don’t think that will happen.  Sweat quietly had a solid year.  He was just starting to find his way.  He made plays, it’s just that they weren’t timely, impactful ones.  He has a high ceiling.  Kerrigan has been dependable, he should stay a redskin; but I feel he knows he’s passing the torch.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I don’t think that will happen.  Sweat quietly had a solid year.  He was just starting to find his way.  He made plays, it’s just that they weren’t timely, impactful ones.  He has a high ceiling.  Kerrigan has been dependable, he should stay a redskin; but I feel he knows he’s passing the torch.

Yup.  I think Kerrigan wants to retire here.  There was a story months ago about Kerrigan telling his agent to do what it takes to stay here in 2020.

For now, he's a terrific asset as the rotational Edge.  You need that.  Giants and Eagles all won championships with deep Edge groups as their best defenders.

11 hours ago, FuriousD said:

I think what Blaster means is Kerrigan is the exact opposite of a good fit at weakside 'backer.  ie; too big, too slow and very limited coverage skills...

I stated that put him there with limited coverage responsibilities. Straight downhill, blitz/backside responsibility with almost no coverage. Gotta think differently. If you had Sweat and Young with Kerrigan as a partial run/primary blitz weakside backer- Could that be a scheme for him.

He reads plays very well. Seems like his sacks are somehow getting to a spot where the QB was going to be vs beating guys. Playing weak side, he would have more ability to read and use those instincts. He's a good tackler to.

You'd have to roll safety over to entirely cover slot and flats, but the scheme would be for pressure so hopefully the safety can make the right read and handle the coverage

It sounds like a more aggressive DL...which is music to my ears.  But this confuses me a bit, I think there's something copied down wrong here.

"...but our overall approach is going to be more where they've been doing a lot of two-gapping and a lot of playing both sides of a blocker - we're going to ask our guys to be more penetrating and disruptive."

Two gapping and playing both sides of a blocker is the opposite of penetrating and disruptive.  They're mutually exclusive.  I feel like there's an 'instead' missing where the hyphen is or something.

22 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It would be, and I've thought about it as well.  But that would leave us with the same problem so many of us hated last year - Sweat in coverage way more often than he should be.  Plus, I wouldn't trust him playing man defense on TEs.  Just imagining him trying to defend Kittle, Ertz, Goedert, Engram, etc. on intermediate or deep routes this upcoming season makes me cringe.  This is also why I have a hard time seeing Ryan Anderson being successful at SAM.

I would be pretty surprised if they had a SAM covering Kittle, Ertz, etc. If we're able to successfully run a Cover 1 with a 4-3 Under front (definitely not guaranteed, but possible depending on how some guys pan out) you'd probably have Collins covering those guys and the SAM rushing the passer or covering a back possibly. But that's also more of a base formation as well...at least 65% of snaps nowadays are in sub packages like nickle.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It sounds like a more aggressive DL...which is music to my ears.  But this confuses me a bit, I think there's something copied down wrong here.

"...but our overall approach is going to be more where they've been doing a lot of two-gapping and a lot of playing both sides of a blocker - we're going to ask our guys to be more penetrating and disruptive."

Two gapping and playing both sides of a blocker is the opposite of penetrating and disruptive.  They're mutually exclusive.  I feel like there's an 'instead' missing where the hyphen is or something.

it's the word more.

18 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I would be pretty surprised if they had a SAM covering Kittle, Ertz, etc. If we're able to successfully run a Cover 1 with a 4-3 Under front (definitely not guaranteed, but possible depending on how some guys pan out) you'd probably have Collins covering those guys and the SAM rushing the passer or covering a back possibly. But that's also more of a base formation as well...at least 65% of snaps nowadays are in sub packages like nickle.

Right, but there are times when the SAM will have to cover the TE, as they'll both be on the LOS on the strong side of the formation in a 4-3 Under front.

JDR put Von Miller there, and Miller would sometimes have to defend TE's in coverage.  I expect we'll try Anderson there, but I don't expect him to be successful when he's asked to cover.

EDIT: I also don't think we'll be able to go 1-high safety on every base snap.  Especially when we're playing teams like the Eagles, with DJax and Reagor possibly both on the outside.  I think we'd see more two-man defense in that situation if we aren't in zone.

44 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Right, but there are times when the SAM will have to cover the TE, as they'll both be on the LOS on the strong side of the formation in a 4-3 Under front.

JDR put Von Miller there, and Miller would sometimes have to defend TE's in coverage.  I expect we'll try Anderson there, but I don't expect him to be successful when he's asked to cover.

EDIT: I also don't think we'll be able to go 1-high safety on every base snap.  Especially when we're playing teams like the Eagles, with DJax and Reagor possibly both on the outside.  I think we'd see more two-man defense in that situation if we aren't in zone.

Yeah, single high a lot of the time is unlikely without having an elite FS and good CBs who can maintain outside leverage against WRs. Thinking of Anderson covering a top notch TE is pretty scary to me. That's one area that teams have consistently beat us with is TEs basically running free in the shallow middle and seam. 

On 5/27/2020 at 11:37 AM, Anselmheifer said:

I think Sweat and Young should start at LDE and Young at RDE. .......

I know we all have high hopes for Young and he is good, but he's not that good. I just can't see him starting at both LDE and RDE at the same time and being successful.  Although if he does succeed doing that then damn we are set. 

On 5/27/2020 at 10:53 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, this is definitely true.  But I trust JDR to get the most out of what he has.  He's proven that he can do so.  Even Belichick has had to make due with what he had in the years he didn't have the best CB in the league.

Unless Apke is going to make a huge leap, I don't think we have the single high safety on the team. Davis is mostly a rangy SS IMO, who can play basic FS. But having Collins in that under safety roll is exciting. I also trust JDR to not stuff square pegs in round holes thank god.

That interview with JDR just made me so freaking excited. Our Dline is going to be able to pin their ears back and attack the **** out of them. Think about Payne in the championship game. My goodness. We have a stupid amount of talent on the Dline. We have what? 7 starting caliber players on most team in the league?

And they expect Foster to be back? That is insane. Our LBer situation gets a hell of a lot better if he is playing. That's our Bully. Have we really had a bully since Ken Harvey, except Trotter for a year? Marcus was a bad ass LBer, but I wouldn't call him a bully. I love London, but he's not a bully, especially when he was with us. Foster and Collins in the middle is scary.

Our secondary is being slept on too. Darby was really good most of his career. One bad year with the lolbirds? No worries. Moreau is a starter. Fuller is a starter. They may not be the best ranked CBs right now, but 3 players at CB1/2 is a good problem. Moreland is going to live in the slot and live well.

Collins is a top 5 SS in the league and SSs in the JDR system have a ton of fun and love their jobs. Davis is a starter in the league, which is enough. I'm high on Apke, especially as a single high cover one free IMO. Everette is a monster STer and a serviceable BU SS.

JDR makes defenses great year one and we have an actual starter at every single position on the defense. LBer is the shakiest position group for sure, but our defense is going to be monster. I bet the first phone call from Ron to Jack had a lot of childish giggling. 

The key to the season is the offense. Our defense will win us games and keep us in others. Turner will have a new offense that people won't have a lot of film on and it looks hella creative like a Shanny  or Roman O. That in and of itself will help us start hot on an easy schedule. If the offense can really execute and make our offense potent, we can win a lot of games.

I like the level of toughness we have in our LB group.  It's a blue collar group, but that's what you want.  Decent speed there too between Holcomb, Hudson, and KPL. 

Their ceiling gets a lot higher if Reuben Foster gets healthy and plays.  He's on a different level than the other guys in the group.  I really like Hudson's game too, although I don't think he'll get a ton of chances to play as a rookie unless we get hit hard with injuries to the group.  I agree with Coach Del Rio that it's an interesting mix of skill sets in the group, and it'll be the biggest competition if we get a training camp since there are no well-established starters.  The guys who can play the biggest variety roles are probably going to be the ones who make the team and get the most snaps.

Having our top two coaches being former linebackers, I'm hoping that linebacker play will be one of the areas we show the most improvement next season.  They know how to coach the position at a really high level and get the most out of those guys, the level of the linebacking in Carolina and Denver was spectacular when Coaches Rivera and Del Rio were coaching there.  Our linebackers will be the leaders for the defense and hopefully they'll thrive due to better communication and teaching.  They're going to be asked to do more if the DLs are going to be playing upfield more, so it's crucial that they master all of the different parts of their roles.  Probably going to need them to be playing team ball first and seeking playmaking chances second.

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I like the level of toughness we have in our LB group.  It's a blue collar group, but that's what you want.  Decent speed there too between Holcomb, Hudson, and KPL. 

Their ceiling gets a lot higher if Reuben Foster gets healthy and plays.  He's on a different level than the other guys in the group.  I really like Hudson's game too, although I don't think he'll get a ton of chances to play as a rookie unless we get hit hard with injuries to the group.  I agree with Coach Del Rio that it's an interesting mix of skill sets in the group, and it'll be the biggest competition if we get a training camp since there are no well-established starters.  The guys who can play the biggest variety roles are probably going to be the ones who make the team and get the most snaps.

Having our top two coaches being former linebackers, I'm hoping that linebacker play will be one of the areas we show the most improvement next season.  They know how to coach the position at a really high level and get the most out of those guys, the level of the linebacking in Carolina and Denver was spectacular when Coaches Rivera and Del Rio were coaching there.  Our linebackers will be the leaders for the defense and hopefully they'll thrive due to better communication and teaching.  They're going to be asked to do more if the DLs are going to be playing upfield more, so it's crucial that they master all of the different parts of their roles.  Probably going to need them to be playing team ball first and seeking playmaking chances second.

I think that if we are going to be an elite defense, we still need to add an elite LB and an elite CB, and I don't think that's too much to ask for. Those pieces to come available in FA and aren't impossible to find in the draft. I think our LB's can be solid, but I don't expect anything extraordinary. I actually think our DL will also be good but not extraordinary this year. I think 2021 is the year this becomes a defense to be feared. Hopefully we can add a few more offensive pieces before then. 

In any case, I'd love to see a Micah Parsons or a CJ Mosley in the middle for us. 

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Hudson should be interesting.  I didn't watch him before the draft but I did watch him post draft and I was impressed.  From what i saw I liked him more than the average draft observer.  Most of the draft geek types tout Hudson as more or less purely a special teams ace. 

But personally, I think he can be better than just a special teams stud.  I think he represents what they wanted Su'a Cravens to be -- a nickel, LB-safety combination.   I think Hudson has a better shot than Cravens and I don't just mean because of his better mental make up.  Hudson is the better athlete.  Cravens ran a 4.7.  Hudson is faster and stronger.  Hudson's intangibles are through the roof.

And the dude is a really fun watch, he's like the energizer bunny on the field, he looks like a baller, always going full speed and playing with oomph.  He's decent against both the pass and run and can rush the passer. I think he can be a surprise asset to this defense

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Michigan-football-NFL-Combine-recap-Linebacker-Khaleke-Hudson-144688241/

SPARQ: 126.8 (ninth out of 25 participants)

NFL athleticism percentile: 67.7th

40-yard dash: 4.56 seconds (eighth out of 26 participants)

10-yard split: 1.51 seconds (tied for second out of 26 participants)

Bench press: 30 (first out of 23 participants)

Vertical leap: 33 inches (tied for 13th out of 26

Broad jump: 10 feet (tied for 17th out of 35)

The skinny

While Hudson didn't leave Indianapolis with an overwhelmingly high buzz around him, he did impress in a couple key drills. His bench press success — especially for his size — might speak to his work ethic as much as his strength, and his 10-yard split will assure NFL teams of his burst off the line into the backfield, even if his long speed is a tad slow for others at his size and position.

Ultimately, his smaller frame might keep him from being selected in the draft's first two days on its own. But Hudson didn't hurt his stock at the Combine, and if his 3-cone and shuttle times correlate with his speed, it would certainly seem like teams could find a spot for someone with his combination of speed and strength.

Archived