Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

When I hear some people hyping up Clowney, I some times wonder if its the same guy I am thinking of because he just seems so bland to me. Some outlets talk about him like he is some generational elite talent, which confuses me.

On 4/29/2020 at 11:25 PM, ultravin said:

i'd like clay matthews before Clowney. probably get him a lot cheaper too.

you say that … but clay earned his stripes in GB playing a 3-4....  Clowney would make what? 5 first round picks on the D-line?

he doesn't seem a Rivera type talent

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Judging from above, should Sweat have to earn his place ?

Allen, Ioannidis, Payne, Young ?

supposedly Allen's not suited for a 4-3 end.  Plus the idea Sweat starts over Kerrigan isn't guaranteed

Year
Lg Tm W L T Div. Finish Playoffs PF PA PD Coaches AV Passer Rusher Receiver Pts Yds Pts Yds T/G Pts± Yds± out of MoV SoS SRS OSRS DSRS
2019 NFL Washington Redskins 3 13 0 4th of 4   266 435 -169 Callahan,Gruden Allen Keenum Peterson McLaurin 32 31 27 27 13 31 32 32 -10.6 -0.2 -10.8 -6.3 -4.5

fixed it for you....  everyone should have to earn their place...

As someone else already said, Sweat plays DE, not DT. In our base 4-3, Allen will be our 3 tech DT, Payne our 1 tech, and Ioannidis will probably back up both spots. In the nickel, I imagine we will see a ton of Young-Allen-Ioannidis-Sweat. 

I think the fact that we had 3 DT's rank in the top 15 of run stop percentage makes me question the utility of the stat. We weren't good against the run. If the stat is worth anything, then it's somewhat damning praise, because it's an awful indictment of our LB's. Which, is probably fair. 

38 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

As someone else already said, Sweat plays DE, not DT. In our base 4-3, Allen will be our 3 tech DT, Payne our 1 tech, and Ioannidis will probably back up both spots. In the nickel, I imagine we will see a ton of Young-Allen-Ioannidis-Sweat. 

I think the fact that we had 3 DT's rank in the top 15 of run stop percentage makes me question the utility of the stat. We weren't good against the run. If the stat is worth anything, then it's somewhat damning praise, because it's an awful indictment of our LB's. Which, is probably fair. 

I'd say the stat is misleading a touch, but in the realm of the truth.

In the end, I think and have thought our linebackers last season were awful.

There is potential for improvement in that department this upcoming season, but the team is an injury and a guy looking his age away from being in almost the exact same position. I think KPL improves that lackluster group a touch, but not a whole lot of good in that group in my opinion.

If Anderson plays an OLB spot he has a bit of potential to be an improvement in 2 down situations there. But again, any improvement we're making this year is marginal. If we pick in the middle of the first round in 2021 my eyes are on Dylan Moses right now. Haven't "broke him down yet" but at extremely fast glance he may be my LB1.

There were so many plays last year with LBers in the same gap, reacting to formations at the last second before a snap. It just stunk of a lack of preparation and leadership. They looked lost far too often. I believe that's fixable, because we don't lack resources or talent.

Thomas Davis is a great pick up and should prove invaluable. I don't know if our future LBers or LB captain is currently on the roster. I think there is an argument to make either way, but as far as the learning the new playbook and teaching recognition, we should be light years ahead. 

I'd also just kind of guess here, but with Turner and Zampeze working on a fairly new complicated offense, RR might decide to be more hands on the strength of the team in defense. RR, JDR, TD all working together with an extremely young hungry core in the front 7.

Although, every time I say front 7, I think about Collins and Davis and the kinds of players they are and realize that our defense is going to be vicious.

I know nothing about his coverage skills but every game seemed to feature Collins blowing someone up. Which is what you want from a Strong Safety I guess. I am really tempted to get his jersey if he has another good (better?) season.

7 hours ago, carex said:

supposedly Allen's not suited for a 4-3 end.  Plus the idea Sweat starts over Kerrigan isn't guaranteed

They occasionally played Allen as a 5/7 tech DE in a 4 man Under or Over front at Bama. I saw it a handful of times when watching his college cutups. From what I saw there was a noticeable drop off in the quality of his play and his impact from when he played at 3 tech. He just isn't built to be a full time 4-3 DE. He doesn't have the explosion, flexibility, or length to really excel there from what I saw. Tackles got into his pads and stymied him without too much trouble. IMO Allen is a pure 3 tech guy. 

Was just going down the rabbit hole on Fuller’s 2018 season and found this PFF article. Thought it was interesting because it goes against the narrative I think most of us have heard - that Fuller wasn’t successful when lined up at outside CB in KC:

With both the Chiefs last season and the Washington Redskins in 2017, Fuller primarily played out of the slot, lining up as a slot corner on 70% of his defensive snaps in 2018 after playing from the slot on 88% of his defensive snaps the year before. He’s one of just four players to register at least 400 coverage snaps from the slot cornerback position in each of the last two seasons.

In 2017, Fuller ranked first out of seven players who logged at least 400 coverage snaps out of the slot with a 90.2 slot coverage grade. Among the 16 players who saw at least 50 slot targets, he ranked third by allowing just a 55.6% completion percentage, and he ranked fourth by forcing an incompletion on 14.3% of the targets. He gave up either a first down or a touchdown on just 20.6% of the targets, which led the group by a landslide (the second-best rate surrendered by anyone in that group of seven was 25.0%) and the 55.0 passer rating he surrendered to opposing quarterbacks was also the lowest by far. 

In 2018, Fuller's 57.9 slot coverage grade ranked sixth out of the six players who logged at least 400 slot coverage snaps. Opposing quarterbacks completed 76.7% of their passes when targeting Fuller in slot coverage, and his forced incompletion rate dropped down to 8.2%. He surrendered a first down or touchdown on 45.2% of his targets and opposing quarterbacks earned a 110.5 passer rating when targeting him.

Despite his struggles from the slot in 2018, Fuller shined in coverage when he was given the opportunity to cover out wide. The third-year cornerback registered 103 coverage snaps from an outside corner position, and out of the 101 players who saw at least 100 coverage snaps out wide, he ranked first with a 90.7 coverage grade. He ranked first among that group by holding opposing quarterbacks to just a 35.3% completion percentage when targeted as a wide corner and both of his interceptions came when playing out wide.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-the-chiefs-needs-slot-cornerback-kendall-fuller-back-to-his-best-in-2019

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

If Anderson plays an OLB spot he has a bit of potential to be an improvement in 2 down situations there. But again, any improvement we're making this year is marginal. If we pick in the middle of the first round in 2021 my eyes are on Dylan Moses right now. Haven't "broke him down yet" but at extremely fast glance he may be my LB1.

I have never been able to put my head around the Anderson selection. I was disappointed when they announced his name on draft day. I really liked Zach Cunningham and Ryans bama team mate Dalvin Tomilson

Love me some Dylan Moses. I was bummed when he announced he was going back to school last year, then blew out his knee just before the start of the season last year. He is the player I am most excited to watch play this year. 

4 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I have never been able to put my head around the Anderson selection. I was disappointed when they announced his name on draft day. I really liked Zach Cunningham and Ryans bama team mate Dalvin Tomilson

Love me some Dylan Moses. I was bummed when he announced he was going back to school last year, then blew out his knee just before the start of the season last year. He is the player I am most excited to watch play this year. 

I was cool with the Anderson pick, just because we were following a theme and was just happy to take a LB that high, but I wanted Cunningham really badly too from that draft.

Of all the guys I’m excited to see play this year ( Haskins -1 Young-2), Foster is next in line. I know we declined the 5th year option, but it was the smart play, and allows us to extend at a reasonable price. This guy was probably the best ILB in the 2017 draft. There has been a hole there since London retired. That injury is scary. But I’m really excited for his potential. If Foster can regain that explosiveness behind the new 4-3 DL, we could have a top 3-5 defense. 

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Of all the guys I’m excited to see play this year ( Haskins -1 Young-2), Foster is next in line. I know we declined the 5th year option, but it was the smart play, and allows us to extend at a reasonable price. This guy was probably the best ILB in the 2017 draft. There has been a hole there since London retired. That injury is scary. But I’m really excited for his potential. If Foster can regain that explosiveness behind the new 4-3 DL, we could have a top 3-5 defense. 

im also excited to see Foster. If he returns to health, it would be so huge for us. We’d be an all pro corner away from a defense that could drag a crappy offense to the playoffs every year. 

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

im also excited to see Foster. If he returns to health, it would be so huge for us. We’d be an all pro corner away from a defense that could drag a crappy offense to the playoffs every year. 

Agreed. And with the large amount of cap space, we could be in a prime position to be able to resign all of our key pieces as well. 

15 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Mind you, this is the same Jonathan Allen that thinks Ryan Anderson can play WILL but...

He said that?

Having Anderson in a position where he'd potentially have to cover slot WRs is pure insanity. Usually your WILL is your most athletic and agile LB...Anderson is one of our least athletic. He's a big, hard nosed run stopper who can set the edge and is an "ok" pass rusher. I see him more as a 2 down SAM with occasional blitz/situation pass rush snaps in an Under or Over front in a 4-3. 

That being said, Foster did look fantastic his rookie year but he just hasn't been able to stay healthy. If he can stay healthy I could see him as more of a WILL than a MIKE, though it may be a toss-up because I'd rather have SDH covering slot guys than Foster...but SDH is more experienced with MIKE duties like calling plays and alignments. It would probably all just come down to the down and distance. 

Archived