Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

Given the fact that we are switching to the 4-3 defense and likely drafting Chase Young, we are stacked on the defensive line. We have at least 4 very solid to above average interior linemen which makes me wonder how we can't entertain dealing at least one of them, specifically Payne, Allen or Settle? Are we gonna let Allen get to a contract year and demand a ton of money then let him test free agency without getting compensation or is it worth looking at what his value is around the league? I guess my thinking is, why not move one of these guys now and pick up a pick to fill a need? How much would we really miss one of them if the drop off isn't that great from one to the next? 

Yeah this was brought up in another thread. While I voiced my opinion on how I believe fans overrate J Allen a bit I don't want them to deal him or any of the others.  With better coaching, the addition of Chase and the development of Sweat he could really blow up this year, we'll worry about the contract if we have such a good problem.

Settle could have been our best interior lineman if he came around 5-10 years earlier, now he can't even find time.  That's a good thing and I don't want to see any of these players excelling for another team.

All of our interior linemen have a good chance at career years.  Next season is when I think the FO should decide who should be extended*, traded, or just allowed to play to the end of their contract.

Ioannidis is going to be the interesting one, IMO.  I could see him being worth as high as a 1st after this year.  

* Personally, I’d consider extending Allen this year, before his value (potentially) goes up significantly, but RR had already made his statement about extensions due to the Dunbar situation.  

On 4/20/2020 at 8:22 PM, skinny21 said:

* Personally, I’d consider extending Allen this year, before his value (potentially) goes up significantly, but RR had already made his statement about extensions due to the Dunbar situation.  

I brought this up as well, but I can understand why a 1st year coach like Rivera is in a "wait and see" mode. He has no incentive to commit to guys he didn't pick himself.

I know Khaleke is a bit undersized and thought of as a tweener, but maybe he can snag that weakside spot?  I think with someone as imposing as Landon at SS makes the undersized, but really tough Hudson, a viable option.  My predicted starting base lineup would be as follows:

S. Davis

Darby                                              Landon                                    Fuller

SDH

Hudson                                                     T. Davis

Young             Allen        Payne            Sweat

Front 7 rotation something like:

DT: Ion, Settle, Brantley

DE: Kerrigan, Orchard, Ion?

SAM: Cole, Anderson, Foster?

MLB: Bostic, Foster?

WLB: Cole, JHC

Is Cole definitely not going to be considered for the MIKE?

3 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

We don't need the cap space. Just let the contract expire.

Yep.

Since the Redskins have the cap space, they might as well just get it off the books this year instead of stretching it out over 2 or 3 more years.

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Our rotation on the line is absurd. 3rd and long is going to be vicious. 

I wasn't high on Kerrigan in recent years, but this is going to extend his career i think.

He also will no longer be lost in space.  I expect one of his best years, even in a more limited role.

Does anyone know the status of Foster?  Can he be penciled in as the MIKE or is that super wishful thinking?

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wasn't high on Kerrigan in recent years, but this is going to extend his career i think.

The thing that I question about him extending his career here though...is the numbers game...both roster numbers at a crowded position, as well as salary/cap numbers.

It's possible that neither of those becomes an issue, but it's hard not to think about it.

4 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Does anyone know the status of Foster?  Can he be penciled in as the MIKE or is that super wishful thinking?

Foster's rehab is coming along excellent.

It's taking a long time, but that's understandable, considering the complexity of the injury.

But he's on pace to be ready and healthy for TC, barring a new setback

honestly, the best thing about the defense besides the players that the skins currently have, is the fact that we finally have the right defensive coach for them!  i hope to god that they utilize the players to their strengths and with both del rio and rivera onboard, i have no doubt that they will for sure get the most out of these guys!  For Foster, i would activate him later on as the season goes, whatever the last day of the season to activate him, pending rehab.  I feel like it's going to be a great camp for the veterans and rookies this summer, if it really happens!  looking forward to what they can do this year!  

2 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Im not going through all 11 pages but someone has already mentioned at times our front 4 on the field will all be 1st round picks ?  Young, Payne, Allen & Sweat 🤔

Kerrigan, Davis and Foster are 1rst rounders too. Same with Collins.

I agree with the sentiment that we should sign Allen to an extension early to try and get a discount on the deal.  He could easily rack up ten+ sacks because of all of the single blocks and shifted protections he's going to see.  He's a leader and tone setter for the group, we should be using our cap space to lock our few high level talents up.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I agree with the sentiment that we should sign Allen to an extension early to try and get a discount on the deal.  He could easily rack up ten+ sacks because of all of the single blocks and shifted protections he's going to see.  He's a leader and tone setter for the group, we should be using our cap space to lock our few high level talents up.

I'm assuming priority #1 is to lock in Scherff for a longterm contract.  After that, you're right, we need to extend our young d-line.  With a lack of highly paid skill players, we can afford to lock that d-line up.

12 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'm assuming priority #1 is to lock in Scherff for a longterm contract.  After that, you're right, we need to extend our young d-line.  With a lack of highly paid skill players, we can afford to lock that d-line up.

know this is off theme but thinking tag price   for Brandon … increased with Tonsil's new deal

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yep I'm the one that brought this up. I think the reason we haven't yet is because Rivera wants to see everyone on this D and how they play in his system. Scherff's a different animal because he's a proven high level G. Allen has been good but hasn't really stood out the same way.

Also if you're Allen, who by all counts is a real smart guy, he's probably betting on himself to have a big year going into year 4 with a better staff and playing next to someone like Young.

50 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Schreff is on the franchise tag. While I’m sure we are still working on a long term deal signing one would actually increase cap space this year.

I think we're going to miss the boat on signing Allen early because of his injury history and uncertainty about his fit at three technique.  Plus we always miss the boat on things like this.  In fact, not missing the boat on this would be a sign of major growth from the organization to me.

Archived