Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

On 1/16/2020 at 9:14 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, the issue is Anderson.  He’s a complete mess in coverage. At least he has been.  He’s not going to be a DE.   It ge can be solid against the run and can rush the passer a bit. 

Whatever they do with Anderson, they need to limit the amount of time he is in coverage.  Or maybe they can coach him up better and he approves 

And the wildcard is Foster’s health.  

I think we should take heed to Nick Saban’s prediction at the time Anderson  was drafted that he should play inside at the pro level. At least give it a shot. Otherwise, I could see JDR looking to bring in a MLB free agent - especially one he’s had past experience with.

Foster is truly the wild card here - injury wise. I see him as a good fit for SAM. Look, we might see one or two teams a season where the TE is the primary receiver who catches 10 passes a game so I agree RF may not be a good fit. But, usually, a typical TE may pull in 3-4 receptions a game and RF can handle that. For the most part, they are run blockers or release from the line to block. I think Rueben Foster would be an over-match for 80% of the snaps when lined up over a typical TE. He would crush a TE on running plays. 

The Weakside linebacker is like a wait-and-see reactionary position. No doubt he is typically the speediest most athletic LB. his roles are keeping the runner inside or picking up a TE in motion. Or he has to cover slot receiver within the first 5-7 yards if there isn’t a nickel corner. I can see SDH and Holcomb battle for that position. 

Theoretically, I think we have the personnel here to fill each LB role but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a free agent signing for at least the Mike. On paper, Foster could handle all three roles, but the guy hasnt played a snap in, what?, two years and had injury issues prior to that. Sheesh. SDH is a tweener and Holcomb has but one year of experience and we are completely changing the defense!  So, I can also see the pessimism as well. 

3 hours ago, CTskins said:

I've always been of mind that after QB, football teams are best built from the lines out on both sides of the ball.

I’ll take this a step further. Football teams are just flat built from the lines out. 

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He'll be the IR bench Captain next year along with our star TEs and RBs.

maybe the RBs but our injury prone TEs should not be around next year

frankly, at this point I'm not willing to joke on him, I had no idea his injury was that bad

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We aren't passing up Chase Young for Simmons. That'd be absurd.

Exactly.

What it means is they’ll likely assume Foster is not on the team and plan for life without him.  This means they’ll have to figure out where the current guys fit (see the 4-3 personnel thread) and probably will make a move in FA, at least for competition and depth if not an outright starter.

But there’s no way we give up on a generational pass rushing prospect. Assuming that’s what chase young is.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

We aren't passing up Chase Young for Simmons. That'd be absurd.

In your eyes. I'd listen to the trade offers before making that statement.

There are many roster holes to fill and moving back a couple slots could fill a few of them. One being where it was assumed Foster would fill.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What it means is they’ll likely assume Foster is not on the team and plan for life without him.  This means they’ll have to figure out where the current guys fit (see the 4-3 personnel thread) and probably will make a move in FA, at least for competition and depth if not an outright starter.

The team will have to plan on Foster not contributing. Anything he gives us is a bonus. They ought to just try to build Foster up to come back in 2021 behind a 2nd year Chase Young and a 3rd year Montez Sweat. 

I hadn't realized that Foster had a foot drop. That is a huge injury. 

Foster tore everything and got nerve damage by basically running. I don't ever expect him to get a single tackle for the B&G, his body is broken. 

Our starting LBs in the 4-3 will be Bostic, Holcomb, and SDH until we upgrade. I think that's an okay unit but by no means are we set there. 

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Foster tore everything and got nerve damage by basically running. I don't ever expect him to get a single tackle for the B&G, his body is broken. 

Our starting LBs in the 4-3 will be Bostic, Holcomb, and SDH until we upgrade. I think that's an okay unit but by no means are we set there. 

Bostic is not under contract. And that is not an okay unit.

Holcomb would do okay at MIKE. He struggled big time in coverage, and was slow to get downhill. So he made a lot of tackles but yards downfield instead of for minimal gains because he was slow to read run/pass at times. At MIKE he can react. I’m semi comfortable with him.

SDH showed good coverage ability, but struggled to even get on the field competing with Bostic. I do believe that he could fit fairly decently at OLB, but I have some questions. We need more of a sample size. He definitely was slow to get down hill, but like Holcomb, when he did he looked okay.

We don’t have any other OLBs on our roster. Is there a guy named Foster even on the roster?

• 2 weeks later...

Payne is the most important element of the whole defensive line, in my opinion. Not Sweat, not Allen, not Ioan, not Young. Daron Payne. If he can thrive at the 1-tech spot the rest of those guys are going to get chances to do incredible things. Him at the 1 with a true MIKE in base sets is going to make things so different.

Hoping we see progress from Holcomb, along him with getting help via scheme/fit/dline play.   

I could see drafting Troy Dye at 3.2 - a guy with the versatility to play MIKE or SAM.  I would love to land Davis-Gaither as our weak side backer - though I think he’s gone by the mid 2nd.  He’d add a playmaking ability we lack at linebacker (though Foster has the talent to be that guy).  Still leaves a big ? at SAM though...

Archived