Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

14 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Thats still a **** ton of first round picks on D. Is it unfair to expect our defense to be in the Top 10 this season ?

There's still big ? marks at CB and LB. I'd expect it to be improved and theres a possibility but a lot of things would need to go right.

Our offense scares me though, especially our OLine. If our D is on the field all game, every game, we will be in big trouble. Dallas and Philly loaded up.

Now is the time to give Logan Ryan what he wants. 

We have more then enough cap space with Trent gone, if offense is going to be as bad as I think it is, might as well try to fix defense much as we can to try to cover for it. 

AP will be useless if we down by 20 every game. Do it now before the Jets do.

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Now is the time to give Logan Ryan what he wants. 

We have more then enough cap space with Trent gone, if offense is going to be as bad as I think it is, might as well try to fix defense much as we can to try to cover for it. 

AP will be useless if we down by 20 every game. Do it now before the Jets do.

I'll do you one better, and I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but with our cap space why not go out and sign Clowney? Think about that defensive line?

Release Kerrigan now and give him a chance to hook up with a contender.....sign Clowney to go with the others and continue to see if there's any interest in Payne, Allen, Settle....Once Clowney is in the barn you give JDR an unreal defensive line that will be the equivalent of the Steel freakin Curtain. It's a crazy thought given the youth we have on the line but Clowney is only 27 years old and is one of the premier defenders in the league. He is a legit game wrecker and pairing him with Chase Young, Sweat, Allen and Ion would be insane. Give Clowney  a 3 year 50 mil deal and watch this defense terrify the entire league. Talk about putting people back in the seats???? Clowney can do that more so than the guys we have now on the interior line.

We can afford to do it and it would bring an even bigger edge to this defense. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think we're going to miss the boat on signing Allen early because of his injury history and uncertainty about his fit at three technique.  Plus we always miss the boat on things like this.  In fact, not missing the boat on this would be a sign of major growth from the organization to me.

don’t we have to/or not pick up his 5th yr option soon? That would give us an inkling on what we are thinking I think.

Also, in regards to more signings I think sometime in May it stops counting against your compensatory equation. That may be when we sign who we want to fill out the roster. Pretty sure we are waiting till then, for these purposes..

7 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

don’t we have to/or not pick up his 5th yr option soon? That would give us an inkling on what we are thinking I think.

Also, in regards to more signings I think sometime in May it stops counting against your compensatory equation. That may be when we sign who we want to fill out the roster. Pretty sure we are waiting till then, for these purposes..

The compensatory deadline is actually in 3 hours. Deadline date moved up with new CBA. Its now first Monday after the draft at 4pm.

Just now, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@NYSkins21 Nice! Ok so we may see some movement soon. I would definitely consider Logan Ryan to help solidify our D. Tackle help too!

Yeah man. Should be interesting. Still some pretty decent options out there. Logan Ryan for sure. Dont think Peters is going to want to sign here but who knows?

Signing Clowney on a one year deal is certainly an interesting idea.

20 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Signing Clowney would be insane.  He could probably play the Strongside backer position in base packages.  Just send 5 every down, LOL.

I would love it, but doubt he would sign here. That nascar package would be insane.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I'll do you one better, and I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but with our cap space why not go out and sign Clowney? Think about that defensive line?

Release Kerrigan now and give him a chance to hook up with a contender.....sign Clowney.

Ok might as well throw another one out there.

Yan Ngakoue. Even fits the criteria of being local. No trade offers at all for him. None. He wants out. He’s done with the Jags.

Trade for him to pair with Chase. Carnage. 

Ask Kerrigan to take a 50% pay cut to stay as rotational depth.

Sweat would need to sharpen up and fight for reps. Not sure on this, but don’t recall Rivera ever mentioning his name. May or may not rate him for all we know.

Either way, Chase Young, Ngakoue, Sweat, Kerrigan.

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Release Kerrigan now and give him a chance to hook up with a contender.....sign Clowney to go with the others and continue to see if there's any interest in Payne, Allen, Settle....Once Clowney is in the barn you give JDR an unreal defensive line that will be the equivalent of the Steel freakin Curtain. It's a crazy thought given the youth we have on the line but Clowney is only 27 years old and is one of the premier defenders in the league. He is a legit game wrecker and pairing him with Chase Young, Sweat, Allen and Ion would be insane. Give Clowney  a 3 year 50 mil deal and watch this defense terrify the entire league. Talk about putting people back in the seats???? Clowney can do that more so than the guys we have now on the interior line.

We can afford to do it and it would bring an even bigger edge to this defense. 

I see your "either or" on Kerrigan/Clowney and raise you "both" :evil:

200 (3).gif

2 hours ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Signing Clowney would be insane.  He could probably play the Strongside backer position in base packages.  Just send 5 every down, LOL.

Why would we even want Clowney for all the money he's apparently trying to demand ($17m-$18m per year)? The dude is good but has never even had a double digit sack season. Yes he gets hurries and pressures (and those are important, obviously) but he isn't a "closer"...IMO he's too stiff in the hips to bend like a Garrett or Mack (or Chase Young). He's also injury prone; IIRC he's missed over 20 games over his 6 year career. Pass.

30 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Why would we even want Clowney for all the money he's apparently trying to demand ($17m-$18m per year)? The dude is good but has never even had a double digit sack season. Yes he gets hurries and pressures (and those are important, obviously) but he isn't a "closer"...IMO he's too stiff in the hips to bend like a Garrett or Mack (or Chase Young). He's also injury prone; IIRC he's missed over 20 games over his 6 year career. Pass.

First of all, I doubt Clowney would sign with us for the same price range that Seattle would likely pay him. However, in my opinion we need star power to get this team fully moving forward and to give the new staff a solid start on getting some wins. We need playoffs sooner than later. We have the cap space to make a big splash signing and Clowney playing with our defense would be insanely exciting, especially with the addition of Thomas Davis and hopefully a healthy Reuben Foster. 

There are tons of reasons not to sign Clowney, I get it, but there are some good reasons to sign him as well. He takes this defense to an even higher level than adding Chase Young does. Clowney was a one man wrecking ball in the Philly playoff game. They had no answer for him. IF we signed him, he makes our defense an absolute nightmare to game plan against, much more so than what Allen and Payne bring to the table thus far.

One more thing, if we've decided we're moving on from Allen after this year then it makes even more sense to sign a Clowney.

15 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

One more thing, if we've decided we're moving on from Allen after this year then it makes even more sense to sign a Clowney.

Wait, what does Clowney have to do with Allen? They're completely different players with completely different skill sets and who play completely different positions. Allen is a pure 3 tech 1 gapping DT and Clowney is a pure edge DE/OLB who plays best in a wide 9 alignment. If we lose Allen and wanted to replace him we'd need to sign or draft another DT in that mold, not suddenly decide to move a 6'5 255lb EDGE guy to DT.

36 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Wait, what does Clowney have to do with Allen? They're completely different players with completely different skill sets and who play completely different positions. Allen is a pure 3 tech 1 gapping DT and Clowney is a pure edge DE/OLB who plays best in a wide 9 alignment. If we lose Allen and wanted to replace him we'd need to sign or draft another DT in that mold, not suddenly decide to move a 6'5 255lb EDGE guy to DT.

I've seen Clowney moved all over the place...plus I'm looking at the money aspect of not paying too many lineman big bucks. Wasn't Clowney's most famous play in college where he lined up over the nose and blew up the ball carrier deep in the backfield right off of the snap? You could be right, but I thought Clowney could play anywhere on the d-line like a Reggie White type?

5 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

42 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The Skins picked up Allen's 5th year option (agree with DT expectations).

For DE, the  Skins have Young and Sweat as the high talent rookie/near-rookie players.  Kerrigan as the veteran with the "right stuff" who is going to love the return to the 4-3.  Another two or three depth guys from last season - all of whom showed promise.  AND, the Skins just drafted another developmental DE in the 7th round.  I think the Skins have enough starting talent at DE - there's no need for Clowney or anyone else for that matter.  The front office should always be on the look out for cheap upgrades for depth but I think the Skins are set at that already.  

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I've seen Clowney moved all over the place...plus I'm looking at the money aspect of not paying too many lineman big bucks. Wasn't Clowney's most famous play in college where he lined up over the nose and blew up the ball carrier deep in the backfield right off of the snap? You could be right, but I thought Clowney could play anywhere on the d-line like a Reggie White type?

I saw them stunt him sometimes in college and I've seen it happen at times with him in the NFL as well. But by and large from what I've seen he lines up as a 7 or wide 9 (on either side). Most top notch pass rushing prospects will get moved around as well as stunted occasionally. But IMO that isn't the same as sticking a long, rangy speed guy who excels at edge rushing as a 1 tech DT often. 

As far as Reggie White, remember that he was about 40-45 lbs heavier than Clowney at the same height so he had that size to where he could be moved inside somewhat frequently. . 

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I saw them stunt him sometimes in college and I've seen it happen at times with him in the NFL as well. But by and large from what I've seen he lines up as a 7 or wide 9 (on either side). Most top notch pass rushing prospects will get moved around as well as stunted occasionally. But IMO that isn't the same as sticking a long, rangy speed guy who excels at edge rushing as a 1 tech DT often. 

As far as Reggie White, remember that he was about 40-45 lbs heavier than Clowney at the same height so he had that size to where he could be moved inside somewhat frequently. . 

It's a pipe dream of an idea but if the Skins were gonna throw a boat load of money at Amari Cooper then I don't see why we couldn't make a run at Clowney to really make this defense nasty if JDR thought he could find a place for him. 

2 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Wow some crazy proposals. Lets just trade everyone who isn't a DE and sign or trade for every top DE in the league.

When you're coming off of a 3-13 season with a dwindling fan base and no real superstars besides potentially your 1st round draft pick and tons of cap space there are worse ideas than bringing in proven players who are still in their prime. Lets hear some of your genius ideas. 

4 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@NYSkins21 Nice! Ok so we may see some movement soon. I would definitely consider Logan Ryan to help solidify our D. Tackle help too!

The compensatory pick cutoff date isn't going to help us, if anything it will hurt us.  We aren't in line to get any comp picks anyway, so our approach won't change.  However, there are teams that are in line to get some comp picks that will now stop sitting on their hands and pursue guys.  

9 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Ok might as well throw another one out there.

Yan Ngakoue. Even fits the criteria of being local. No trade offers at all for him. None. He wants out. He’s done with the Jags.

Trade for him to pair with Chase. Carnage. 

Ask Kerrigan to take a 50% pay cut to stay as rotational depth.

Sweat would need to sharpen up and fight for reps. Not sure on this, but don’t recall Rivera ever mentioning his name. May or may not rate him for all we know.

Either way, Chase Young, Ngakoue, Sweat, Kerrigan.

been linked with him since I posted this. Get it done.

Archived