Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4-3 Starting Lineup

sabbath1981

Man, I've got coaches film playing in the background and Cole Holcomb can improve so much if he gets that initial hesitation out of his game. It shows up everywhere and I mean, it's understandable as a rookie, but this is his chance to step up this year. He modeled his game after Luke Kuechly he's said and played in North Carolina, so playing for Ron and beside TD should be like a dream come true for him. Let's hope he's motivated and can overcome this COVID **** to take that big next step.

I’m not too excited about any of our linebackers outside of Reuben, and he’s coming off an injury.  Is it wrong that I want to see Ioannidis start?  He gets more production than Allen and sometimes Payne as a rotational tackle.  I’m making a big assumption, but shouldn’t his production go up with more snaps? His stats have gone up every year.

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Man, I've got coaches film playing in the background and Cole Holcomb can improve so much if he gets that initial hesitation out of his game. It shows up everywhere and I mean, it's understandable as a rookie, but this is his chance to step up this year. He modeled his game after Luke Kuechly he's said and played in North Carolina, so playing for Ron and beside TD should be like a dream come true for him. Let's hope he's motivated and can overcome this COVID **** to take that big next step.

Agree. That hesitation was crushing for him. He’s wind up getting in on a tackle 6 yards downfield instead of coming downhill and shooting the window.

Its been my criticism of him since during the season. Dude has everything you want except the trigger.

This is also why I think MIKE is a great spot for him. Less coverage responsibility... can come downhill right now and then bail and not miss much of a beat. It would make him an aggressive downhill attacking backer.

My hope, if we don’t draft a MIKE, is that they change their tune on him playing MIKE because I think he could be a nasty son of a **** there.

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

I’m not too excited about any of our linebackers outside of Reuben, and he’s coming off an injury.  Is it wrong that I want to see Ioannidis start?  He gets more production than Allen and sometimes Payne as a rotational tackle.  I’m making a big assumption, but shouldn’t his production go up with more snaps? His stats have gone up every year.

He gets more snaps. He spells both guys. 

The Skins are STACKED with young talent, let's hope RR and JDR can get the most out of them. I hope young players like Brantley, Settle, Brailford, Danny Johnson, Apke etc. get a chance to show their stuff. Could be an elite defense.

https://www.redskins.com/news/nfl-top-25-rookies-redskins-terry-mclaurin-montez-sweat-cole-holcomb

His best performance came in the regular season finale in Dallas, when Sweat brought down quarterback Dak Prescott twice, forced a fumble and amassed five solo tackles (two for a loss).

"Sweat is a blur off the edge and he improved his hands throughout the season," Jeremiah wrote. "He will be a Pro Bowl player very soon."

Among rookies, Holcomb finished first in solo tackles (74), second in total tackles (105) and tied for second in forced fumbles (three). He landed at No. 20 on Jeremiah's list.

"Holcomb was a tackling machine for Washington," Jeremiah wrote, "consistently showing he has the ability to sift and sort through traffic to find ball carriers."

https://www.redskins.com/news/rob-ryan-discusses-cole-holcomb-standout-rookie-year-redskins-q-and-a

But the physical traits that he has, those are things that are going to work for him for a long time. He's physical into blockers, he's physical getting off of blockers, he can run down backs because of his speed. He's going to be a special player.

But that's just one case. He does it every week. He's a real smart player. Each week, for the good ones, the game slows down for them. He's young, he'll get better and better.

And right now people don't realize that he leads all rookies in tackles and forced fumbles. And that's every position. So all of these kids that were drafted five rounds in front of him, he's outplaying all of them.

But Cole is unique, and you don't get a kid like this every year in the draft. We really got an excellent choice.

Ryan: I think he's going to be an elite linebacker. I do. Being with this guy and knowing him, next year is a big year for him. I think this offseason will be big for him regardless of the situation. ...He'll stay focused on getting better.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-redskins/nfl/redskins/gm-report/rob-ryan-hammers-haskins

Ryan also mentioned that Montez Sweat is "going to be a real good player" and also was high on Ryan Anderson, calling him a "terrific player." 

Jimmy
Quote Tweet

TgbXVuly_normal.jpg

James Miller

@J_Miller18
· Mar 31
Replying to @Redskins and @TheHumble_21
Who on our defense is gonna take a huge step up next year? #AskLandon

https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-troy-apke-first-career-interception

Apke, a fourth-round selection in 2018, was solely a special teams contributor during his rookie campaign, and even then he only played in seven games and recorded 22 snaps before going on Injured Reserve with a lingering hamstring injury. But this offseason, defensive quality control coach Kyshoen Jarrett saw Apke make a concerted effort to mold himself into an NFL safety. There were days when Jarrett came to Redskins Park without much company. Then he'd see Apke, who would pepper him with questions about how to expedite his development.

"He's grinding and wanting to learn like, 'Hey KJ, what can I learn? How can I process this coverage and that coverage?'" Jarrett said on "The Rundown" podcast before training camp in July. "He's another young guy that has a lot of potential."

https://www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2019/5/24/18622518/a-closer-look-at-jordan-brailford-with-cowboys-ride-for-free

Gabe Ward: Could you give us a few words to describe the player the Redskins are getting in Brailford?

Micah Allen: They’re getting a steal of a player — someone who is going to grow into an elite football player, I think.

They’re also getting a great guy in Brailford that will bring a lot to their locker room.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/jeremy-reaves-went-undrafted-has-chance-make-eagles

South Alabama was also the perfect place for Reaves’ star to shine. After beginning his college career as a cornerback, he moved to the “rover” safety position halfway through his junior season and became the focal point of the defense.

Reaves racked up 104 total tackles, 7.0 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, eight pass breakups and three interceptions as a senior on his way to Defensive Player of the Year honors. He developed a reputation as a ferocious hitter along the way as well.

https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-eagles-danny-johnson-breakout-game-coming-back-from-injury

"For me, I just felt great," said Johnson, who finished with a game-high 10 tackles (nine solo) while playing 71% of the defensive snaps.

Interim head coach Bill Callahan said Monday that it was no surprise that Johnson played well. During his first week back, Johnson impressed Callahan with the way he tightly guarded rookie and No. 1 wide receiver Terry McLaurin throughout practice.

Callahan remembers thinking, "Man, if we can get this kind of look at practice, it's going to make the game a little bit easier for Terry." And sure enough, McLaurin had his best-career game against the Eagles, hauling in five catches for a season-high 130 yards and a 75-yard touchdown.

But it wasn't just Johnson's performance against McLaurin that caught Callahan's attention. Johnson was excelling with several coverage techniques, both when pressing and playing off the ball. He showed the ability to come up and stop the run, too. On Sunday, he translated those habits into the NFC East showdown.

"The production as you mentioned, the nine solo [tackles] that he had, just speaks volumes to his play," Callahan said of Johnson. "Really glad to see him have such a big day yesterday."

6 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

About time he step up. I'm not saying he sucks or anything but for all the hype when we drafted him he's pretty quiet. I expect a breakout year similar to a lot of the 9ers DL last year after they took Bosa.

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

About time he step up. I'm not saying he sucks or anything but for all the hype when we drafted him he's pretty quiet. I expect a breakout year similar to a lot of the 9ers DL last year after they took Bosa.

He has been a pretty good player so far in his career, but has unfortunately been injured to start his career. He had a foot injury which caused him to miss most of his first season and then suffered an MCL sprain in his knee the very first game of last season which most likely affected him throughout the season. But hopefully he and everyone else can remain healthy and show their true potential this year. I think he can make an impact similar to Fletcher Cox if healthy. Man it will be awesome if we can add Chase Young to the young defense the Redskins are building.

22 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

A top speed of 12.3 mph is not impressive. I'm an out of shape 43yo and I can probably do that. I hope that he gets back. For him and us. I love a redemption story. 

What would be a typical top speed for a 4.5 or 4.55 LB?

I openly am not a math wiz...

But...

12.3 mph is 21648 yards an hour.

Thats 360.8 yards/minute.

Thats 6.01 yards a second.

Equates to a 6.65 40 yard dash.

Take a guy with a 4.5 40.

Thats 13.3 yards a second. 

800 yards a minute. 

48000 yards an hour.

27.7 mph

Now someone smart should come in and correct me.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

27.7 mph

I haven't done the math, but that's not correct. Henry Ruggs ran a 4.27 and his top speed this year was 24mph. Top speed can't really be calculated based on 40, but there is probably an average. Some people get to max speed faster than others. For instance, a guy with less top end speed might just be really good at getting out of the blocks quickly and run the same speed as a long strider with a slower jump, but a better top speed.

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I haven't done the math, but that's not correct. Henry Ruggs ran a 4.27 and his top speed this year was 24mph. Top speed can't really be calculated based on 40, but there is probably an average. Some people get to max speed faster than others. For instance, a guy with less top end speed might just be really good at getting out of the blocks quickly and run the same speed as a long strider with a slower jump, but a better top speed.

His top speed this year? Meaning during the season or when running his 40?

33AFD079-D094-4DFC-AD59-22463007D885.jpeg.529674e9d8f795959f67bb78d7ab143c.jpeg

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

His top speed this year? Meaning during the season or when running his 40?

33AFD079-D094-4DFC-AD59-22463007D885.jpeg.529674e9d8f795959f67bb78d7ab143c.jpeg

The fastest time in the NFL last year was 23 and change. Tyreek Hill. There is no way that Reuben Foster should be running 3 mph faster than that to run a 4.5. 

Forty yards is 120 feet. If you assumed someone was going the same speed the whole time, then 4.5 seconds would be 26.667 feet per second. So, if a player ran the same speed the whole time, they would be running 18.18mph. The math to figure out the acceleration is beyond me. 

In any case, I hope Foster gets back, but it looks like he wasn't that close in December. Could be he's a lot closer now. He'd be  Great WILL, if healthy. 

On 4/4/2020 at 7:07 PM, Anselmheifer said:

The fastest time in the NFL last year was 23 and change. Tyreek Hill. There is no way that Reuben Foster should be running 3 mph faster than that to run a 4.5. 

Forty yards is 120 feet. If you assumed someone was going the same speed the whole time, then 4.5 seconds would be 26.667 feet per second. So, if a player ran the same speed the whole time, they would be running 18.18mph. The math to figure out the acceleration is beyond me. 

In any case, I hope Foster gets back, but it looks like he wasn't that close in December. Could be he's a lot closer now. He'd be  Great WILL, if healthy. 

I don't know man, I just googled it :ols:

I preference my extreme love for playing football and knowing what that dream of actually playing in the NFL feels like when I say, I'm praying for Reuben's recovery. I hope that he's able to run and play like every guy in here that ever wanted to play this game. Some of us were probably able to play at this level. But a moment in time derailed that opportunity. Even for the ones that weren't the fastest or the most talented and just had a deep desire to play football for as long as they could, the love of the game is the love of the game. All the rest of life's ****ty moments (like the one we're all experiencing now) is forgotten when you're on the field playing. So keep working Reuben. Hope to see you out there.

23 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I’ve re-watched most of last year’s games over the past couple of weeks. 

SDH is our best linebacker - by far. 

Last year? I’m probably in agreement. Him or Holcomb. Holcomb hesitates way too much and makes too many tackles 6-7 yards downfield. 

But honestly that’s not saying a lot. But I think you and aligned are aligned on this one.

Just now, KDawg said:

Last year? I’m probably in agreement. Him or Holcomb. Holcomb hesitates way too much and makes too many tackles 6-7 yards downfield. 

But honestly that’s not saying a lot. But I think you and aligned are aligned on this one.

Yes, last year.  I haven’t watched enough of the new guys from other teams. 

SDH’s instincts are exponentially better than Holcomb’s.  He’s also a better tackler, is much better at blowing up screens, and is obviously better in coverage. He can definitely get washed a bit in the run game - but hey, so can Corey Littleton, and that guy just got a huge payday. 

I’ve honestly soured on Holcomb more

than I thought I would after my re-watch. But hopefully having a DC and HC who were former LBs significantly helps in his development. 

Bostic is very clearly a JAG. 

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I’ve re-watched most of last year’s games over the past couple of weeks. 

SDH is our best linebacker - by far. 

I've been on his train for a while. I agree - he is certainly our best LB in coverage by a distance. 

Archived