Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

19 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I've seen the IDL flush the QB from the pocket quite a bit, especially against Buffalo.

I would be interested to see that % broken down between IDL and the outside rushers.

Payne is a top 10 IDL pass rusher right now and Settle has more sacks (1) than Chase, but our interior is killing it against run and pass. Sweat is playing well too.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I meant to quote @Darrell Green Fan and I don't disagree with you. That should be a top flight unit, but there are other factors and right now, the line is doing it's job. The back half isn't.

First off I have always kind of questioned the rankings, I swear they rank players OK that  we know damned well aren't performing.  But as mentioned even if the 11th ranking is accurate that was never the expectation going into the season.

Whenever the WFT was evaluated the DL always came up first. It was not only the key to the defense it was the key to the team to a large extent.  They were always considered one of the top DLs in the league, they were always mentioned first when reasons were given by those picking them to win the division.  11th is not what was expected or what is needed so I can't buy your argument that they are doing their job.

Few pressures, few sacks or forced turnovers.  This was what their job was.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

Richard Dent had 17.5 sacks in 1984, then 17 in 1985, and had 8 out of 10 double digit sacks and was no slouch against the run...back when having that many sacks meant something from a 4-3 DE position.

So you don't need to be Reggie White. But you could try to match the production of the 203rd pick from the 8th round of the draft.

"he's a HOFer, that's not fair"

Um, you pick guys at #2 to go to the HoF, numbnuts. He's not even some mid-round guy who flashed for a few years. He's not Mann, he's not Kerrigan, he's not even Fred Stokes for those of you who remember Fred.

Edited by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Richard Dent had 17.5 sacks in 1984, then 17 in 1985, and had 8 out of 10 double digit sacks and was no slouch against the run...back when having that many sacks meant something from a 4-3 DE position.

So you don't need to be Reggie White. But you could try to match the production of the 203rd pick from the 8th round of the draft.

"he's a HOFer, that's not fair"

Um, you pick guys at #2 to go to the HoF, numbnuts. He's not even some mid-round guy who flashed for a few years. He's not Mann, he's not Kerrigan, he's not even Fred Stokes for those of you who remember Fred.

I don’t necessarily think this is completely fair criticism. Passing games have evolved and offensive pass pro has gotten so much better since those days.

Having said that, I don’t think it’s totally out of the realm of fair, either. 0 sacks is a tough look to this point. Yes, Chandler Jones has yet to register a sack outside of the first game. However he still has 5 more than Young. 

I also think the generational label is damaging to prospects and it makes people think they are more than what they actually are at the point they are drafted. I harped on this with Young. Repeatedly. I said he is ultra talented but lacks the counter moves and elite hand work and many of you are going to be disappointed. 

I also said I’d still take him at 2.

Point is, he wasn’t nearly as NFL slam dunk elite ready as many thought he was as he entered the league. 

Last year he wasn’t a total stud as a pass rusher. He was a high motor, high effort, football savvy young player that took advantage of most of his opportunities to impact the game. Which is a big reason he was drafted #2. 

This year he’s pressing and didn’t evolve his game over the offseason. He’s a bit bigger it seems, too, so there’s a big adjustment period if I’m right there and he did add weight. An adjustment period that could have been aided by coming to OTAs and maximizing his reps.

He has work to do. But he’s going to be more than okay in the long run as long as he perseveres through this.

• Like 3

I mean. I dont want to suggest I know more about what's going on than guys who coach 20 hours a day.  But the what Im seeing suggests that O coordinators watched film from last year and said. "ok, I can beat that DL pressure by throwing quick shorter routes."  Which is largely true because even if there was no D tackle on the field it would STILL take 1.5 seconds to run from DE line up spot to a 5 yard drop.

Sooo.  if you just had the Corners play press and stay near their guys for 2 seconds rather than worry about what happens on a 25 yard post or cross, that seems like the appropriate counter play and that if we dont make the appropriate counter move, then that's a coaching issue. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I completely forgot about last season, to be honest.  I guess we're so far removed that I feel like I'm looking at 99 for the first time.  It's bittersweet, reminding me that he can do it, and then pissing me off because it reminds me that he can do it and just isn't.

Ugh.  This year sucks.  But thank you for the reminder on this.

He's playing better but we still haven't seen dominant performances yet where he just completely overwhelms his opponent to collapse the pocket and really wreck havoc.

Even his sack on Mahomes was a team/coverage sack and there were like three other dudes there. Effort is good but you don't draft high motor try hards with the #2 overall pick, you draft game changing pass rushers.

Look at TJ Watt and how he basically won that game for the Steelers this past SNF. THAT'S what we need out of Young.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Anyone else believe that all the hype Chase and Montez got in the offseason got to their head and is the reason for their lack of performance? I haven’t seen either one of them evolve as a pass rusher too and I’m for trading either one of them. Time to shake things up. That extra pick will help us move up to draft a qb. 

That offside by Sweat was so obvious. He’s done it last year several times. How can he not see down the line to the ball and realize he’s lined up offside? As for Chase or the Goldilocks wanna be, he needs to learn how to contain and bull rush rather than just going 10 yards upfield trying to get around the tackle and losing containment. 

5 sacks from your starting DEs in 6 games is not gonna do it! 

1 hour ago, skinsfan93 said:

Anyone else believe that all the hype Chase and Montez got in the offseason got to their head and is the reason for their lack of performance? I haven’t seen either one of them evolve as a pass rusher too and I’m for trading either one of them. Time to shake things up. That extra pick will help us move up to draft a qb. 

That offside by Sweat was so obvious. He’s done it last year several times. How can he not see down the line to the ball and realize he’s lined up offside? As for Chase or the Goldilocks wanna be, he needs to learn how to contain and bull rush rather than just going 10 yards upfield trying to get around the tackle and losing containment. 

5 sacks from your starting DEs in 6 games is not gonna do it! 

You ever play Darkest Dungeon on PC?

"Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

He's looked better the last two games. But he seems to have lost his high motor from last year. I swear he stands around and just watches more than any other player. If his speed rush doesn't work or the qb scrambles to where he's at, he's just done with the play. 

That is a very strange thing. Last year so many of his highlights were chasing a guy down and laying a strong hit on them. Like did he just stop doing that or coaching telling him to continue containment.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dyst said:

That is a very strange thing. Last year so many of his highlights were chasing a guy down and laying a strong hit on them. Like did he just stop doing that or coaching telling him to continue containment.

Well your latter theory doesn't work because he hasn't;t been containing.  Most of Mahomes' runs went his direction as he circled 5 feet behind Mahomes and left him plenty of space. He's just not a #2 caliber player, time for people to call it what it is.  He's got great straight away speed but he's not particularly quick nor does he have a great turning radius.  Add the lack of sophistication/moves to his pass rush and you get an OK player. You don't draft a guy with this many holes in his game at #2. Poor job of scouting by WFT.

Maxx Crosby level is where he should be right now. 

He's getting the music and sounds like the coaches are helping him and some glimpses of improved technique. We'll see...but right now, very clearly the wrong pick for the franchise. 

1) Herbert + pass rusher

2) Young + QB at the top of the draft

The cost of getting to the top QBs of the draft - where you have to be to get a QB - has already been witnessed by this fanbase. 

It may cost three 1sts to get the next QB. Hindsight makes it a strategic miss, salvaged only by a dominant career.