Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

26 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Can anyone elaborate on why Rivera was let go by Carolina. I understand Cam been injured, team under performing etc. but was it more of a "time to try something different" on the part of Carolina or perhaps not seeing eye to eye with the front office and personnel decisions. Anyone have any insight?

His record. 7-9 last year and 5-7 this year. You have a second year owner; only natural he would want his own guy.

24 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Can anyone elaborate on why Rivera was let go by Carolina. I understand Cam been injured, team under performing etc. but was it more of a "time to try something different" on the part of Carolina or perhaps not seeing eye to eye with the front office and personnel decisions. Anyone have any insight?

Their new owner Tepper basically lost his patience and had stated in an interview a while back that he was sick of the inconsistency as far as winning goes.  They were up and down from season to season, and this year, started out good and then dropped a bunch of games.  

Here is an article/interview with him as to why he fired Ron during the season:

https://www.panthers.com/news/david-tepper-interview-transcript-ron-rivera-head-coach

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't know who these lunchboxes are who are calling into 980 all day thinking that Josh Norman is going to be good again if Rivera brings Wilks along.  

Yeah. Lets save a bunch of money and use our young guys even IF he would play better. I would rather ride with Dunbar and Moreau and draft picks.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Could totally be battered fan syndrome kicking in, but my gut says this Rivera news was premature and that a lot can happen to where he doesn't end up coaching here.  Of course of all the names brought up, I like him the best.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Doc was spearheading that conversation, but he's not alone in believing that Josh has been misused since he got here.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It might be true but that doesn't change the fact that the dude is just slow.  

Yeah, he wasn't used here correctly. But you can see even when he has great coverage, he can’t make the play. He’s always just a step behind. The time to use Norman correctly has passed. You can’t go back into the time machine and do it right. If people are really saying he will be all world again, they are crazy.

Knowing he has all the leverage, Ron better maximize all he can from Dan .

Highest salary in NFL.

Be able to pick his gm.

Contractual guarantee if Dan interferes, he walks.

While consider Haskins as his QB but if He feels the Skins need to move on; have the freedom to do it.

If he can’t get that; he should walk.

My guess, Gibbs sold him on this job.

39 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It certainly helps.

They also lead the league with more than 70 20+ yard offensive plays this season...and not a single one of them came on a broken play. All schemed. 

So I'd say they can thank Shanahan's offense as well. 

Kittle is a beast, so that certainly helps on those big plays.   

3 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Yeah, he wasn't used here correctly. But you can see even when he has great coverage, he can’t make the play. He’s always just a step behind. The time to use Norman correctly has passed. You can’t go back into the time machine and do it right. If people are really saying he will be all world again, they are crazy.

I don't disagree.  Seems foolish to me barring a pay cut to even venture down that path with him.

21 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

In 2018 David Tepper bought the Panthers. At the time he was a 61 year old billionaire hedge fund manager, so let's just say the firing of Rivera is actually him just bringing in his own management team after giving the current group time to win him over. 

When the move happened so many felt Rivera wasn't given a chance. Truthfully you gotta look at it from the new owners side. He paid a record high $2.2 billion for the Panthers. He has 100% the right to do whatever he wants with the company he bought. Afterwards people said the firing of Rivera was a good meeting. They said they wanted the rest of the season to evaluate the remaining coaches and not having Ron there would allow others to show what they can/cannot do. Overall it seems very amicable. 

Anyway, Ron is a class guy. After hearing about the details of the firing I actually think highly of Tepper. We'll see how it goes here. I do wish Dan Snyder had a history of good breakups, but that's not the case. 

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't know who these lunchboxes are who are calling into 980 all day thinking that Josh Norman is going to be good again if Rivera brings Wilks along.  

Wilks was his defensive backs coach his entire tenure in Carolina.  So he knows how to best utilize Josh's talent, which is running a cover 3 zone with 4 under (the majority of plays) and letting Josh play one side of the field like he did in Carolina.  And not playing him in a lot of man to man coverage, like we did, which limits his abilities.  

But...........I'm going to say that Josh is done in DC and it won't come to that anyhow.  

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’d use Norman as a fs before a cb 

What? So as opposed to him being the 2nd most expensive corner at $15M/season he's not the most expensive safety? We'd effectively have ~$29M a year locked up in him and Collins. 

Anyway, Norman just has to go. Don't care what he does next as long as it isn't here. 

2 minutes ago, Unbias said:

What? So as opposed to him being the 2nd most expensive corner at $15M/season he's not the most expensive safety? We'd effectively have ~$29M a year locked up in him and Collins. 

Anyway, Norman just has to go. Don't care what he does next as long as it isn't here. 

I think this is unfair.   I do not think Norman played to his contract value, but for a couple years he was a pretty good player.   This year he seriously tailed off.  But here is why we should appreciate him.   When this year went under and he was basically thrown under the bus by Manusky, he didn't come back at it hard.   He didn't become a problem child.   Manusky has people rumbling against him on that side of the ball all the time, especially in private.   But Normal gracefully handled his situation and never made it blow.   He deserves some respect for that.   I do not see him returning, but, if Rivera wants him to, and he wants to, you have to be ok with it because he never was an ass while here.

2 minutes ago, Unbias said:

No. Not at his current salary obviously. Dude is done here but he could have a Woodson-like transition for his career. He’s still very physical and could still be a valuable player if he’s not playing against guys faster or bigger than him. Dude is still smart and can still ball. It won’t be here but I wouldn’t be surprised if his career gets resurrected the way Sherman’s did in SF

Archived