Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should The Redskins Draft A QB?

Veryoldschool

Draft A QB With #1 Pick?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Redskins Use Their Top Pick To Draft A QB?

• Yes, absolutely if they get a chance to draft the best 1 or 2 QBs they should.
    • No, absolutely not they should trade down for multiple picks because they have lots of needs and Haskins may work out.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/29/2019 at 04:36 AM

7 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

The Skins will draft very high this year should they draft a QB or trade down and address other needs?

Depends on the hopefully new GM and coach. I don't want them to be saddled with a QB they don't think has it. Which is what I fear Dan will demand and the problem continues. If the new GM picks a coach and they both believe in Haskins, fine. If not, I want them free to draft a QB with the second pick.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

This post brings up a forgotten part of trading back: What do we actually get traded in return? Three 1st round draft picks for a non-QB rookie? We were the only team dumb enough to trade three 1sts for Griffin. The Bears traded two 1sts for Khalil Mack, a known quantity. Three is asking for the moon.

Yep. Traded down to pass on JJ Watt so in essence we can get Jervis Jenkins with Kerrigan.  We traded down with Dallas so they could get pro bowler D. Lawrence. We got Murphy and Spencer Long.  Probably the best one albeit still not great is trading down with Seattle for them to get Tyler Lockett, we get Crowder who wasn’t as good.

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

You know Haskins beat Burrow out at Ohio State and Burrow had to transfer to play? And then put up very pedestrian numbers in his first year starting?

Hes been great this year. Very similar numbers to Haskins year starting at Ohio State. But there is no more guarantee that Burrow translates that College production to the NFL than Haskins does.

This is Haskins team next year. We are not drafting a QB with a first round pick.

This is what concerns me with Haskins. He played 1 year as starter; 1 year.  He didn't get the chance to 'build himself' at QB, he smelled money and bolted to the NFL, and we've seen the issues he has on-field, and some of them are not simple fixes.

If they draft a QB in the 6th round, then I'd say yes it is most likely Haskins team, unless said QB outplays Haskins; but then we have Snyder to deal with, and he will want his rambling scrambling toy Haskins starting no matter what, and that would be the end all be all for a lot of fans.

Regardless, unless you're on the Redskins drafting squad, never say never; this IS the Redskins we're talking about.

28 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

If they draft a QB in the 6th round, then I'd say yes it is most likely Haskins team, unless said QB outplays Haskins; but then we have Snyder to deal with, and he will want his rambling scrambling toy Haskins starting no matter what

Rambling scrambling? Have you watched Haskins play? 

This is Haskins team next year. He’s shown enough progress in his starts and played at a very high level the last two starts. It’s a small sample and there will be bumps in the road ahead - but he will be the #1 QB going into next offseason and the season. He’s going to get all the first team reps and hopefully some more pieces around him. And then we will see.

Ive been high on him from the start. I’m even higher after the last couple of games. It could all still end badly but if you can’t see the big strides he’s taken and be excited about that I don’t know what to tell you.

7 hours ago, MartinC said:

Yeah we should draft a QB. 5th or 6th round to develop as a potential backup. 

This is Haskins team next season. And the draft and free agency will be about building around him. Then let’s see how the landscape looks this time next year.

If the Bengals take Young we can hang the ‘for sale sign’ on the 2nd pick and take bids for a team who want to trade up to draft Burrow. And the price will be high.

As soon as the season ends, if they have the #2 pick, they should call every team in the top 15 in need of a QB to find out what they would be willing to trade for the pick in case Chase Young is drafted first.  Anything less would be a dereliction of duty.  Work those phones up to draft day.  Who knows what assets a team may be willing to trade to get a player they desperately want.

Seems like many are not really understanding the question - or don't want to. This is not a what do we do with the #2 pick question. It is specifically about Haskins and the QB position. 

To that end, Haskins, while still very much a work in progress has easily shown enough to be given the keys for next year and see what he does. I was not a huge fan of drafting him at 15. He was so raw and had so little experience. I really did not want a long term project and I felt we had bigger needs, at least going into the season (full disclosure I was a big Case fan - seems that was a bit misplaced although he looked really good too. Is it a system thing? I digress...) 

But what I did notice - and wrote in here more than once - he showed a tremendous amount of improvement from the start of the season last year to the end. Very much like what he has done this year. 

First few games this year he looked like a fish out of water outside a few plays. But the last few games he has looked like a legitimate NFL starter. Not ready to call him a franchise QB just yet. He still has plenty of room to grow. But with his athletic skills I see a very high ceiling. Certainly has earned next year to see how far he can go. In the meantime you build the team around him. 

Again, I was not the biggest fan of the pick when it happened - although in my defense I have said since day one that we drafted him so let him play. But he has been growing on me and of course these last two weeks he has done well. 

Side note - while selfishly I would like to see him play Sunday, I am glad they are shutting him down. 

19 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I'd prefer to cut the cord with Smith now to shed the contract.  I'm sure Smith would be a great mentor to Haskins, but you can get good mentors for alot cheaper than that.  And I was pushing hard for Haskins to take a redshirt this year, but in year 2, he needs to be on the field.  I don't see a scenario where it makes sense to bring back Smith, unless Haskins has a long term injury and we know he will miss 2020.  Even then, I'm not sure Smith and his contract are the best option.

Smith's contract is fully guaranteed next season so he may as well mentor Haskins and do something for the money even if he can't play.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Trade the pick.

No pick is a sure thing.

Even if he is a sure thing, that still will leave us with numerous glaring needs, and another 3-13 season.

Myles Garrett didn't single-handedly turn the Browns around.

Not turning a franchise around single handed is not a reason to look past a prospect. Do you honestly think the Browns regret taking Myles Garret? Conversely they did absolutely nothing with the picks they obtained via a series of trade backs a few years ago. Taking Chase Young at 2 is a no brainer. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep. Traded down to pass on JJ Watt so in essence we can get Jervis Jenkins with Kerrigan.  We traded down with Dallas so they could get pro bowler D. Lawrence. We got Murphy and Spencer Long.  Probably the best one albeit still not great is trading down with Seattle for them to get Tyler Lockett, we get Crowder who wasn’t as good.

I was about to post the same thing. Most fans always want to trade back while forgetting that it does not always work. When you get the chance to draft an impact player like Chase Young you just do it, then worry later about the other positions.  

2 hours ago, UK_HOG said:

Smith's contract is fully guaranteed next season so he may as well mentor Haskins and do something for the money even if he can't play.

I know what you are saying, but I would prefer to cut him now, and have all dead money accelerate into 2020 cap.  We aren't going to be contenders next year, and I hope we aren't active in free agency and get some comp picks for any of our guys that walk.  Then the Smith contract is off the books for 2021, we have Haskins in year 3, Chase young in tow along with some good young talent on the dline, tmac etc, then we can be players in free agency again.  

I tried to pull up spotrac to get the exact numbers but I can't access the site for some reason.  But I think cutting him now would shave 10 mil or so from 2021 cap.  As far as a mentor for Haskins goes, we can get one for a lot cheaper than smith.

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

Rambling scrambling? Have you watched Haskins play? 

This is Haskins team next year. He’s shown enough progress in his starts and played at a very high level the last two starts. It’s a small sample and there will be bumps in the road ahead - but he will be the #1 QB going into next offseason and the season. He’s going to get all the first team reps and hopefully some more pieces around him. And then we will see.

Ive been high on him from the start. I’m even higher after the last couple of games. It could all still end badly but if you can’t see the big strides he’s taken and be excited about that I don’t know what to tell you.

OK, maybe the part in bold was not accurate; he still hasn't picked up on how to escape the pocket.

Yes, he's played better in the last 2 games, but against the Giants and Eagles? They're not exactly opening any eyes defensively. All I'm saying is there are issues with him that are fundamental things that a QB who has played at least a few years in college would know by now. I would be thrilled if he DID overcome them next year, but he's got 2 things working against him;

1. pocket presence.  This guy needs a good QB coach and he really needs to put in the offseason effort into bettering himself. If he doesn't, well, it'll be more of the same next year.

2. sophomore slump. Not that he's been lighting up the league, but kinda referencing #1 a little, he cannot be branded the starting position next year before training camp starts, he has to work for it, earn it, not have it given to him on a platter like Snyder with Griffin. He will spiral down in a hurry.

4 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Yes, he's played better in the last 2 games, but against the Giants and Eagles? They're not exactly opening any eyes defensively. 

This would be the Eagles defense that just held the Cowboys to 9 points and zero touchdowns?

And here he is escaping the pocket.

I don't get all the negativity towards Haskins. I think he has a bright future. He has an above average arm, keeps his eyes down field when under pressure and has shown to be very competitive. The one thing he's lacking is experience.  I think Haskins as our QB and drafting Chase Young is the way to go. One thing that does need to be changed is to bring in a top notch defensive coordinator.

Yeah I've been down on Haskins throughout the year but his last few games are certainly encouraging.  The TD to Sims was an off script play that is so vital, all the good QBs can do off script plays and ours throughout recent history really struggled in this area. He is much more accurate now than he has been and that was always my biggest concern.  I'm feeling much better about him today than at any point since draft day when I was OK with the pick but still skeptical.  

16 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Depends on the hopefully new GM and coach. I don't want them to be saddled with a QB they don't think has it. Which is what I fear Dan will demand and the problem continues. If the new GM picks a coach and they both believe in Haskins, fine. If not, I want them free to draft a QB with the second pick.

That would be then really fun to watch the new GM and HC fell in love with Alex Smith!

Archived