Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should The Redskins Draft A QB?

Veryoldschool

Draft A QB With #1 Pick?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Redskins Use Their Top Pick To Draft A QB?

• Yes, absolutely if they get a chance to draft the best 1 or 2 QBs they should.
    • No, absolutely not they should trade down for multiple picks because they have lots of needs and Haskins may work out.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/29/2019 at 04:36 AM

If Chase is a no brainer generational type player I think it's naive to assume there's no chance that Cincy takes him.  Why not take Chase, they will probably win another 2 or 3 games next year which sets them up to get the kid from Clemson.

Or they could pick up Tua after drafting Chase, we better be ready for anything on draft day.

No. This decision was made last year when they took Haskins. My issue with the pick then was that it was very stupid to draft a qb of the future when it was obvious Gruden wasn’t going to survive the year.

haskins has not shown me enough to guarantee his place at qb but I think the better value is using draft picks elsewhere and seeing if Haskins makes improvements.

get some new coaching in here that can form an actual offense and defense relevant to today’s play style and get to work.

25 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If Chase is a no brainer generational type player I think it's naive to assume there's no chance that Cincy takes him.  Why not take Chase, they will probably win another 2 or 3 games next year which sets them up to get the kid from Clemson.

Or they could pick up Tua after drafting Chase, we better be ready for anything on draft day.

Yeah, somehow it wouldn't surprise me much if that ever happens. Andy Dalton is serviceable for a year or two, and they could even bring Gruden back to team him up with Red Andy (not Reid, the other one!)

Everyone thinks Chase Young will be available at #2, but that's not a given. And even if the Bengals want QB they could still trade the barn to the Giant at #3/4 for Chase Young knowing that we're not gonna go QB and get their at #3. That's a scenario I would fear.

Yeah we should draft a QB. 5th or 6th round to develop as a potential backup. 

This is Haskins team next season. And the draft and free agency will be about building around him. Then let’s see how the landscape looks this time next year.

30 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If the Bengals take Young we can hang the ‘for sale sign’ on the 2nd pick and take bids for a team who want to trade up to draft Burrow. And the price will be high.

7 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Yeah, somehow it wouldn't surprise me much if that ever happens. Andy Dalton is serviceable for a year or two, and they could even bring Gruden back to team him up with Red Andy (not Reid, the other one!)

Everyone thinks Chase Young will be available at #2, but that's not a given. And even if the Bengals want QB they could still trade the barn to the Giant at #3/4 for Chase Young knowing that we're not gonna go QB and get their at #3. That's a scenario I would fear.

Except we would then trade that 2nd pick to Miami, the lions, or a bevy of other teams that need a qb. We hold pretty much all the cards and win either way.

Bruce Allen is the only problem. If we take a tackle at 2 I’m rooting for a different team.

3 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Except we would then trade that 2nd pick to Miami, the lions, or a bevy of other teams that need a qb. We hold pretty much all the cards.

Bruce Allen is the only problem. If we take a tackle at 2 I’m rooting for a different team.

If we don't get Chase Young, we're holding not much.

So you're fine if we go Long Snapper at #2? That would be EPIC!

5 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

If we don't get Chase Young, we're holding not much.

So you're fine if we go Long Snapper at #2? That would be EPIC!

We are holding the rights to draft Burrow. Anyone who wants to be sure of drafting him has to deal with us. 

Academic really has I think it’s long odds the Bengals don’t take Burrow. And in that likely scenario we draft Chase Young.

Maybe Young is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor and a difference-maker for a decade so worth the opportunity cost or maybe he's going to just be good.  I'd rather spread the risk and get help in 4 spots over the next couple of years instead of risking so much on Young.  I hate to be so negative but I'm sure if the Skins pass up the chance to get 3 first-round picks and a second-round pick for Young they will end up with another LaVar Arrington not a Lawrence Taylor.  When does Dan Snyder win?

The Skins traded 3 first-round picks and a second-round pick for the #2 pick in the 2012 draft.  I don't know if that is the standard value for the #2 spot or if the Skins grossly overpaid for the #2 spot, irrespective of who they drafted with it.  If the Skins could trade the #2 pick in 2020 for 3 first-round picks and a second-round pick I would prefer them to make that trade. 

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If the Bengals take Young we can hang the ‘for sale sign’ on the 2nd pick and take bids for a team who want to trade up to draft Burrow. And the price will be high.

If the teams below us know Haskins is our guy they can call our bluff, all I'm saying is be prepared because you only have 10 minutes if they shock everyone by taking Chase.

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If the teams below us know Haskins is our guy they can call our bluff, all I'm saying is be prepared because you only have 10 minutes if they shock everyone by taking Chase.

Sure - but then Jones is the Giants guy and the Lions are not moving on from Stafford. I think it’s going to be moot but if the Bengals don’t take Burrow and a team want to be sure to get him, it’s us they have to call.

If Burrow is available { maybe the Bengals crew falls asleep and loses their pick } { maybe they go after Young } you take him no matter what.

He has far more upside than Young IMO and keep Haskins as back-up.

I'm not sold on young; I know, a lot of people are branding this guy a generational player, but there's something in the back of my head saying he will be having problems in the future.  I agree with others saying there are so many needs for this team, and hopefully the right personnel are in place come draft day, and maybe they put on their Monty Hall hat and play lets make a deal mother****er.

Either way, Young or Burrow { if available } will get top dollar, I'd much rather see the organization make the right choice for once and secure a solid QB.

BTW: I'm not sold on Haskins progressing to the point he can play at Burrow's level, and these WRs we have now are a good enough group to get the job done. Give them a QB who will find them. { not Tua }

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

Maybe Young is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor and a difference-maker for a decade so worth the opportunity cost or maybe he's going to just be good.  I'd rather spread the risk and get help in 4 spots over the next couple of years instead of risking so much on Young.  I hate to be so negative but I'm sure if the Skins pass up the chance to get 3 first-round picks and a second-round pick for Young they will end up with another LaVar Arrington not a Lawrence Taylor.  When does Dan Snyder win?

The Skins traded 3 first-round picks and a second-round pick for the #2 pick in the 2012 draft.  I don't know if that is the standard value for the #2 spot or if the Skins grossly overpaid for the #2 spot, irrespective of who they drafted with it.  If the Skins could trade the #2 pick in 2020 for 3 first-round picks and a second-round pick I would prefer them to make that trade. 

This post brings up a forgotten part of trading back: What do we actually get traded in return? Three 1st round draft picks for a non-QB rookie? We were the only team dumb enough to trade three 1sts for Griffin. The Bears traded two 1sts for Khalil Mack, a known quantity. Three is asking for the moon.

30 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

BTW: I'm not sold on Haskins progressing to the point he can play at Burrow's level, and these WRs we have now are a good enough group to get the job done. Give them a QB who will find them. { not Tua }

You know Haskins beat Burrow out at Ohio State and Burrow had to transfer to play? And then put up very pedestrian numbers in his first year starting?

Hes been great this year. Very similar numbers to Haskins year starting at Ohio State. But there is no more guarantee that Burrow translates that College production to the NFL than Haskins does.

This is Haskins team next year. We are not drafting a QB with a first round pick.

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Remember that this kid (Burrow) is also from Ohio so this would be a homecoming. Don't discount the marketing messaging. Taking Burrow now will help them to sell more tickets than taking Chase

6 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I do not like either of those choices, I want the top generational talent at #2 ie Chase Young. 

Haskins at 21 years old has proven to me that he has what it takes to play QB at a very high level, now its just a matter of does he put it all together before he is 25 I  think yes

Lol..doesnt take too much to prove something to you

38 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

This post brings up a forgotten part of trading back: What do we actually get traded in return? Three 1st round draft picks for a non-QB rookie? We were the only team dumb enough to trade three 1sts for Griffin. The Bears traded two 1sts for Khalil Mack, a known quantity. Three is asking for the moon.

It was 3 1st round draft picks plus 1-second pick, yeah you're right I don't expect any other team to be this stupid.

I'd really love for Burrow or Tua to put on the B&G honestly. I think they are far superior talents to Haskins.

I'd also love for Young to be strip sacking Prescott, Wentz, and Jones for the next 10 years. I'd also enjoy trading the #2 to Miami for a gaggle of picks so they can pick Tua.

We have a lot of options. Hard to say which one is the "best".

Archived