Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

I’m not sure that clip is remotely relevant especially when you consider that the entire thing is about doing EVERYTHING necessary to win as a team because numbers don’t matter and two of the Haskins narratives are that he’s NOT doing everything necessary for his teammates and he did prioritize his stats over those letters W and L.

It’s almost like that video is an exact mockery of the guy Haskins is accused of being. (note: I’m not saying you need to buy these reports as fact. I get it if you don’t. But posting this video in defense of Haskins specifically is really lacking awareness of the vibes around him right now lol)

52 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Bro you can't be serious....

Yeah I rather have Rivera's fingerprints all over this team, then the nasty ones that have been on this team over the last 25 years. You are acting like we were the patriots and Rivera is dismantling the team

Rivera came to take charge of a team that just had the 2nd pick in the draft. With a very bad QB. He inherited a really ****ty team, and organization as a whole.

I don't get why people can't face reality sometimes.

He’s literally complaining about ending of all vestiges of Dan’s meddling as if that’s a bad thing! 😂 

Oh no the coach given full control picked his own OC and moved on from the previous QB who helped secure the second overall pick in the draft. The horror! Let’s clutch our pearls in shock. 

Say what you will about Ron and the gameplan, X and O, time management etc, but the man is UNIVERSALLY praised by everyone he has ever come into contact with for his work ethic, culture, and integrity.  He is simply trying to build HIS culture here (in the middle of a pandemic, scandals, and with cancer) and "Simba" simply doesnt fit what he is looking for.  Simba was garbage on the field, and garbage off the field.  HIs "career" here is DOA;  barring injury I would bet big that he never sees the field as a WFT player again,  maybe gets taken on by a team as a flyer for a year before he lands ultimately in the XFL or a car dealership.  "Simba' doenst really want to be a NFL QB, he wants to be a Social Influencer - thats why you will always see him chiming in on "hot button" topics on social media, playing catch with other head cases like Antonio Brown (and then having the audacity to play GM and suggest we should sign the maniac), smiling and joking with other teams stars after blowout losses, and taking selfies during games.  The problem for "simba" is, to be a social influencer you have to be good, or likable, or funny - he is none of that - just boring and bad. 

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

That's only one 3 and out. He was moving the ball this game. He played a conservative style of offense. But unlike Ron said, the TEAM made mistakes. Haskins didn't fumble. Haskins didn't miss a FG. Haskins isn't the one who didn't go out of bounds before the FG. It may be a completely different game if not for these things but Haskins gets the blame, particularly with the 52 vs 1 comment and now with the leaks. 

Haskins didn't fumble.... but he had all day, not a defender near him and decided to throw a check-down to a flat-footed McKissic who was immediately held up by a defender while the other defender blasted him. Bad decision = bad results. 

Haskins didn't miss the FG... but on 3rd down prior the play is really sloppy. Haskins get's maybe too excited when he see's man coverage and doesn't execute the play correctly. Something isn't right with McKissic's motion and Dwayne's timing snapping the ball. Terry doesn't run through McKissic's defender setting up a pick and the play is a bust. (batted down by D-Line) 

Haskins didn't get out of bounds wasting a TO.... but on the next play he throws a weird screen thing when he should've tossed the football. Way too slow. By the time the RB catches the ball there are 3 defenders on him. (they were playing for the FG anyway with limited time left)  

Stop giving him a pass. He played poorly against Baltimore, just like the rest of the offense. We go blown out. 

19 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

We weren’t a player away.  We were/are bad bad.  Losing culture is a beast to undertake.  I’m betting on Rivera.  People really need to realize, myself included, truly how bad this organization is.  A stud QB could change errrrthang.  

It's time for us to have something nice.

I can't believe all the fans who keep referencing the Ravens game.  Do you realize they were kicking our *** so bad that they pulled their starters?  Their backup qb throws a god awful pick and makes the game seem closer than it was.  Haskins was terrible, he didn't complete a single difficult throw until after the Ravens let off the gas.  Haskins could have never thrown those 2 tds that Allen did last week.  That's a fact. 

Again, this thread is steering the wrong way (of course this is just my opinion). We have people diagnosing QBRs against a left handed defensive end who previously had a 97.6 pass rush grade from PFF and a SPARQ score of 175 with a standard deviation of 81.65.

But the conversation shouldn’t BE about play. It should be about maturity issues. Issues we can see with our eyes. **** the reports. I have eyes and they certainly work. So do my ears. The conversation with Thomas Davis was egregious in my opinion. But even if you don’t think so, the picture that’s posted here while acting as a backup to Keenum is huge, too. 

People shrug these things off. If you’re drafted by a regime a lot of that kind of thing can be overlooked (but I haven’t seen photos of any of the other young QBs doing that that I recall... literally any). But when you aren’t drafted by the regime it becomes a headache that they didn’t want to deal with to begin with.

Why is this shocking?

If you look at it strictly through an “on field lens” it doesn’t really make sense in a down year, even though his play was marginal at best. But it’s not just about play. 

So analyzing his play vs. other guys play is futile. 

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is relevant to this thread especially with all the bashing of the one qb who got is the one letter that matters. 

no sir. This is material for a  Twilight Zone episode. 🍿

What does it mean when someone says they are in the twilight zone?
noun. 9. 0. Twilight zone is the mental state between reality and fantasy, or the lowest level of the ocean that light can penetrate. 

@KDawgwe were in similar point of view after the Cleveland and Baltimore games, saying that he should get a full season. Our reasons differed, but we were both saying it, in spite of his play and without any maturity leaks. The stuff from last year was still there. The scouting report stuff was still there. Kyle not liking him was still there.

Then that Wednesday happened when Ron benched him and the rumors started. And really I've only seen one report, the WaPo story by Les Carpenter. I've seen others reference it, including national reporters. Many used the same wording. I take the whole situation as highly suspect. Many others here don't. 

But all along I've been saying that Haskins should be starting and was playing well enough to start. In fact the morning he was benched, i was taking about an Alex Smith style that he should be playing. He's a guy who's known for having historically bad QBRs, in the low 40s and 50s. But he's the guy that many teams want as their starter, because he minimizes turnovers. He has a career 193 to 100 td int ratio.

I've also said that this is a young team and they're all making mistakes, Haskins included, so they need to learn to win together. I haven't changed this point of view with Allen. In fact, i don't like Allen being given this great performance treatment because it was similar to some of Haskins performances. And i won't be calling for Allen to be benched when he posts similar stats but we lose for reasons not his own. 

But if he's going to be turning the ball over more than Haskins then I'm not going to back him because it's against my philosophy of minimizing turnovers. 

As far as the of the field stuff, even if it's true, there are a lot of assumptions being made, like Allen's habits, what Haskins was doing, was there an argument after the Ravens game, who the leaks came from. I have more questions but don't want to go down that path because it only gives more credibility to the rumors. 

I was thinking earlier today, that beyond me seeing no reason for Rivera to be a vindictive prick, that it’s also easier for me to believe the reports because ever since he was drafted there have just been little things that give me pause.  The draft party, “the league done messed up”, the Bentley, liking the post about Jay getting fired, the selfie, cameras rarely catching him six inches from a tablet between series, poor body language, appearing too happy after losses, regularly missing pedestrian throws that kill drives, and I’m probably missing some things.

Most of these things by themselves are nothing and easily chalked up to being a young kid.  But all together, it’s just not appealing to me.  To each their own, if you really just think he’s this uber talented kid that works his ass off and everything else is just noise, more power to you.  But there’s just too much to unpack with him for me. Sure, if he was lighting it up, some of this stuff might even be endearing.  But when you stink up the field, it’s nauseating.

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is relevant to this thread especially with all the bashing of the one qb who got is the one letter that matters. 

Why are coaches always fat

aside from linemen alumni shouldn't they be fit so players respect them?

guess it's a requirement of the AR coaching tree

Also, why bench him for an UDFA unless they’re protecting him

Just let him ride his contract out

9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Idk man. I get that you disagree because you really liked Haskins as a prospect—but I think if you start from a mental space that allows for the idea that Haskins might actually be bad and work and act poorly, and Rivera just doesn’t know how to move forward without saying that to the media, it all starts to make a lot of logical sense. It just requires believing it’s POSSIBLE that Haskins was not actually a great prospect at all and Snyder ****ed it up.

All it takes to see how bad Rivera has been is to not invest blind faith in him because you're hoping he's the franchise savior.  Rivera has been a trainwreck from the moment he got here and it's painfully obvious if you're not investing hope in him.  But specifically in regard to the quarterbacks: abandoning the development of a QB prospect after four games is absolutely horse**** coaching.  That should be obvious.  Hinging a QB's job on not making mistakes to the media is horse**** coaching.  Also obvious.  Pinning the losses of a terrible team on the QB and saying the other guys played well enough to win is horse**** coaching.  Saying the rest of the roster was coming to him and complaining about the QB and potentially dividing your locker room by making guys wonder whose a snake is horse**** coaching.  Playing games with your QB and running little tests where you set him up to fail to see what he does both in games and in the media later on is horse**** coaching.  Abandoning long term building because "your gut told you to" is horse**** coaching.

Rivera is turning out to be a disastrous hire.  He wanted this job because no one else would have given him this level of power and he played the games he needed to play in order to get it.  I roll my eyes at the people who think he is this honest straight shooter.  He plays games just like Shanny did, but Shanny could never hide that he was a son of a ****.

I get it.  People don't want to hear our brand new coaching staff is incompetent.  They need to believe in the regime change to preserve their fandom and so they need to believe the players are the problem and that there is some big secret and logical plan guiding the actions of the FO and coaching staff.  But Rivera is just ****ing winging it.  He has no real team building plan, he's done a horrible job coaching the team this year, the FO has done a horrible job rebuilding, and Rivera threw away Haskins in order to protect his offensive coordinator.  And he's probably alienating the ownership in the process, greatly shortening his rope.  He better hope Kyle Allen turns the ship around like Kirk did for Jay Gruden.  He's not going to make it past another season like this one.

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Another fan setting themselves up for some major disappointment. 

Not really. I was one of the first on this board t accept the futility of all of this, years ago. More of you used to fight it back then, yet it was a laughably predictable Merry go round of stupidity... Year after year.

Every year I have low expectations,  and every year, I'm correct. Every year I expect us to be a dysfunctional mess, and every year I'm correct. It's not that I want it to happen, but there is always so much evidence to the contrary.

want things to change. My expectation is that it wont... not yet.

@Thinking Skins The tweet happened from his agent. And if his agent tweeted without his knowledge he’d be fired already. We knew about his maturity issues, sure, but many of us hadn’t seen them in the media in awhile. That solidified it and made all of his maturity stuff pop back in the forefront. At that point he was no longer showing growth, but a complete lack of it.

Also, as an aside not pertinent to the convo with you TS....

I’m convinced now that steve is simply trying to do to Rivera what he feels people are doing to Haskins and conducting social experiment with it.

4 hours ago, steven11 said:

Why are coaches always fat

aside from linemen alumni shouldn't they be fit so players respect them?

guess it's a requirement of the AR coaching tree

Also, why bench him for an UDFA unless they’re protecting him

Just let him ride his contract out

I think the weight thing is more of an American thing. Especially with the amount of coaching that's watching videos and sitting in meetings and just studying. I know from a desk job and the amount of time I spent in school, it was easy to put on weight. I had to get really disciplined about eating and then start a workout routine to merely stop gaining weight, and the weight loss thing is another step. I'd imagine its similar for coaches. 

What's interesting is watching coaches as they come into the league and go through their transition from a young skinny kid to an older bigger guy. Its especially true when you see somebody come in like at like 20 or who was a player at a skill position and then they're a coach not running or working out as much. 

40 minutes ago, KDawg said:

@Thinking Skins The tweet happened from his agent. And if his agent tweeted without his knowledge he’d be fired already.

Agree.  Also the tweet would be deleted which it never was.

This isn't Rivera against his players.  Haskins is one dude, not the whole team.  A dude that the lead personnel guy working under Ron according to most didn't want either.  Same dude that supposedly most of the scouts in that building didn't want either.  Same dude that the previous coaching staff didn't want either.  Same dude whose work ethic was questioned by multiple people who have nothing to do with the WTF.   At some point maybe Haskins is the issue?  Not everyone else including others outside of the WTF?

Rivera not shrugging off a supposedly poor ethic and immaturity is on brand for him.  He's trying to change a culture not double down on the old one. 

The dude below isn't a martyr.  If his maturity evolves and he wants another shot, I can see that.  But the idea of rewarding it now and Rivera is dumb for not doing so, seems nuts to me. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 7.18.26 AM.png

Some of you guys should be declared legally blind.

Putting aside that one great defensive effort against PHI in the opener that produced a W,

Haskins was absolutely terrible in every other game he started (including Week 1).

That one W was all D, but Haskins' mediocrity was hidden behind the win.

His stats were somewhat padded in garbage time (emphasis added) because we were out of contention

in all the games we lost, teams loosened up a bit and some even pulled their starters.

Rivera demoted him because of the on-field performance which everyone was able to see. 

No spark, no gumption. Third-down plays seemed like an impossible task (and they were).

Long throws being off the mark by 10 yards. Short throws hitting the ground like homey trying to kill praerie dogs 😅

At least that changed with Allen.

The team is bad, but we're not unwatchable now.

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I get it.  People don't want to hear our brand new coaching staff is incompetent.  They need to believe in the regime change to preserve their fandom and so they need to believe the players are the problem and that there is some big secret and logical plan guiding the actions of the FO and coaching staff.

This is what we call painting with a very broad brush.

I see many familiar faces in this thread that have been beating the drum for years about the ineptitude of this franchise.  I don't think many of us are under any illusion that the ills of this franchise are cured nor do we see Ron Rivera as some sort of savior.  I would have much preferred to hire a legitimate GM, let him choose the coach and go from there.  I can easily see this scenario not working out and Rivera leaving here worse off than when he came, as most typically do.

That said, I'm not about to pin the ills of Dwayne Haskins at his feet nor am I willing to subscribe to conspiracy theories about Dwayne's demise.  That has nothing to do with not wanting to believe that the coaching staff is incompetent.  I have no loyalty to any of these guys.  But I most certainly trust that he knows more about Dwayne Haskins than you or anyone else on this forum.  At some point, you have to give up on the college game tape and acknowledge what is staring you right in the face.

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's not going to make it past another season like this one.

So again you responded to a post pleading you to just admit that it’s POSSIBLE your eval on Haskins was off, that maybe he wasn’t as good a prospect as you thought, with stuff about Rivera. If you can’t admit it’s POSSIBLE you were wrong about Haskins coming out of college, that maybe he’s not very good on top of the reported other off-field concerns, I’m not sure why anyone should give weight to your argument that Rivera ruined him (and on purpose at that). You need to be able to admit your eval on Haskins isn’t a stone cold lock for anyone to take you seriously, or the bias just shines through too strongly. 

Lamont Jordan, ex-player, just on 106.7.  He echoed @KDawg's point about the Davis clip. 

He said he thought the Thomas Davis clip that he watched he thought was a big deal-telling.  He said knowing locker rooms, you don't respond to veterans the way Haskins did there.   He said you got to respond to a veteran with humility and respect.

He said if it were him he'd start Kyle Allen.  He talked about playing with other big time Qbs like Brady who were the first in the building and last to leave. 

Archived