Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

29 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That certainly would be nice, but it hasn't really been feeling like a new improved culture.

It hasent and thats what upsets me most about this. The losing obviously doesnt help. But the Haskins thing, for me, is just a drop in the pool of suck this franchise has been since I was basically born. 

Its also why I understand people want so hard for this to work. Its the same thing I had with Griffin. Its almost like if we can just stop being the Washintons and get this one thing right....we can get going in the right direction. But realistically, thats not whats going to happen here. For many reasons. And really, giving up on Haskins without investing too much time in him may actually be the right move that gets us going in the correct direction. I dont have alot of faith in that. But at this point I have more faith in that than him turning the corner. 

I know - stupid tangent. 

37 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Culture has changed, its Haskins that hasn't.

We used to let Griffin do stuff like that.

I definitely think this is a sign of a culture change. You're not performing, you're not putting in the work, acting immature, it doesn't matter if you are Danny boys 1st round pick, you are going to sit the bench and not even dress for the games. Love it. 

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Culture has changed, its Haskins that hasn't.

We used to let Griffin do stuff like that.

Agree.  The Haskins mess is a symptom of the previous adminstration's dysfunction along with Dan.  Rivera is trying to clean that up.  It's a mess he's inherited as opposed to created. 

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Great post that I want to highlight. 

These Haskins apologists are going to look really stupid in a few years, at some point in time they will run out of excuses and others to blame for Dwayne's failures.  

Agree - Its almost beyond that, its a sickness almost - a Simba Derangement Syndrome (SDS).  There were people clamoring on here for a "second, maybe third round pick" in exchange for Simba, are you kidding me?  This toxic stinkbag is worth nothing, zero - he is a depreciating negative asset.  I dont know if we have a bunch of Ohio State fans here or people who had sons who went to HS with Simba like DannyJr,  but there is no reason to get behind this debacle at this point.

Even beyond that, when a few of us select S-tier posters called out this trashy behavior (and play, frankly) early we were attacked with vicious and vile personal accusations and character assaults by SDS posters who had never even met us before.  Some were so upset they demanded the "mods" come and censor our speech.  In their minds,  it had to be something personal - we had to be Michigan fans, or something.  Sometimes people just show you who they are, and if you need to run the labyrinth in your mind to justify their behaviors (draft night, terrible body language, social media debacles, losing on and off the field, lack of interest) maybe your missing the mark for some reason or another.  Most of them have sulked away at this point, which ironically, they said we would do when we were proven wrong by the great Simba - I hope they learned a hard lesson by their embarrassing behavior.  

47 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Agree - Its almost beyond that, its a sickness almost - a Simba Derangement Syndrome (SDS).  There were people clamoring on here for a "second, maybe third round pick" in exchange for Simba, are you kidding me?  This toxic stinkbag is worth nothing, zero - he is a depreciating negative asset.  I dont know if we have a bunch of Ohio State fans here or people who had sons who went to HS with Simba like DannyJr,  but there is no reason to get behind this debacle at this point.

Even beyond that, when a few of us select S-tier posters called out this trashy behavior (and play, frankly) early we were attacked with vicious and vile personal accusations and character assaults by SDS posters who had never even met us before.  Some were so upset they demanded the "mods" come and censor our speech.  In their minds,  it had to be something personal - we had to be Michigan fans, or something.  Sometimes people just show you who they are, and if you need to run the labyrinth in your mind to justify their behaviors (draft night, terrible body language, social media debacles, losing on and off the field, lack of interest) maybe your missing the mark for some reason or another.  Most of them have sulked away at this point, which ironically, they said we would do when we were proven wrong by the great Simba - I hope they learned a hard lesson by their embarrassing behavior.  

This post is in poor taste. 

13 hours ago, IrepDC said:

It's evaluation and expectation. There is no middle ground here. You are either elite or we will act like you are the worst QB in the league. 

The only time we accept middle of the pack QB play is from an old vet who we already have set expectations for.

I mean, Cousins was basically that (middle of the pack). The problem is that you can either lock that particular talent down early, on your terms, or let them put up empty stats year after year and let them hold all the cards, which now dictate that they be paid like a top QB, which is something he was/is not. And that was the crux of that particular issue.

If you're saying that fans only accept elite QB play, I agree. But that's true of every fanbase. You're either great or you are a gump. Thats the reality of the NFL Quarterback position these days. Organizationally, though? I think he was treated fine.

22 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

This post is in poor taste. 

Yeah, his takes are oddly and consistently personal.  But we know why, which makes it all the more easier to consistently disregard

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know a vocal small number of people here think this is just a crazy WFT conspiracy and Haskins' talent is through the roof that just needs to be coaxed from a patient and competent coaching staff.  But the reality is everything points to them being wrong.

How much hyperbole can paragraph take lol? 

I know at @stevemcqueen1 has totally jumped off the ship in regards to the current regime, but for myself and it seems for some others in this thread, it’s questioning some of the rationale of Ron in his entirety and the Haskins benching falls in that soup.

It’s not just a Haskins was benched and now I dislike Ron, more about concerns of the overall direction and approach. This is speaking directly for myself and what I’ve perceived from others willing to provide resistance (questions and concerns) as we begin the journey with Ron. I also get the rationale of not questioning anything until year 2 or 3 some seem to be subscribing to. 

My percentage of support will waver throughout his time and I will support, question, and share concerns throughout with the goal to remain conscious with my takes on things. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim's latest podcast.  Someone posted here that its only been the Les Carpenter story that challenged Dwayne Haskins work ethic this year.  I found that weird considering we posted here Standig, Russell, Keim, Paulsen alll saying they have heard the same thing.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it was @Thinking Skins if I recall?  If so, listen to Keim's last podcast if you want further proof.   Keim says in it he's heard from both coaching staffs, the one last year and this year about their issues with Haskins preperation/work ethic.

Logan Paulsen was on that podcast and said if those rumors are true the benching makes sense.  He talked about when he played with Matt Ryan, he was an animal as to how hard he worked, he knew the playbook like a coach and players on offense like to look up to the QB on the field for that reason.  He implied if Haskins isn't working hard that won't go over well in the locker room. 

This is where I get lost on how we choose to connect ideas and rationale as a fan base at times: you’ve chosen to attach Logan Paulsens experience of playing with Matt Ryan and sharing how knowledgeable he was about the playbook when at the time Ryan was 33 and in his 11th season to Haskins as a second year pro. Of course he won’t meet those expectations or have the same impact on other players as a second year guy that Ryan had on Paulsen. 

Im not arguing the truth of Haskins having work ethic issues maybe that’s the case (I lean this direction), but I will not discount the fact that FOs, coaches, and players assign the “hard worker” labels frivolously at times to guys who produce and same the other way if a guy struggles or plays poorly, especially at times with the black QB. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim talked about work ethic being key and players knowing if another isn't working hard and it doesn't go over well in the locker room.  If you listen to the whole podcast he gets into it at different times.   He goes Haskins needs to show them the off the field stuff.  It's not purely about play. 

This is the reporting I dislike and will not ever let sway me come to any conclusion on a player or situation. I accept that I will always be the last to the party on this kind of stuff though.

Get names to your reports! Coaches or FO don’t share stuff like this without putting your name on it.  

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

My percentage of support will waver throughout his time and I will support, question, and share concerns throughout with the goal to remain conscious with my takes on things. 

I wasn't referring to you but if you want to lump yourself with the Haskins is not at fault crowd and you assume you are in that mix, I am surprised and a bit confused but OK? 

If I was thinking of your position my point would be hyperbole.   You've said on this thread that you think Haskins is more likely a bust than a success.  So not sure why you'd think I'd lump you with the Haskins is not at fault crowd. 

14 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Get names to your reports! Coaches or FO don’t share stuff like this without putting your name on it.  

You referring there to reporters should not quote people anoynmously.  Guys like Keim explain why they do it -- its because those people don't want to be lightening rods and want to feel comfortable sharing things without making themselves the center of attention.  So yeah if its someone in the FO blasting Haskins that dude would be automatically at odds from then on in that building with Haskins.  So they aren't going to put their names on it.

For me, this isn't Watergate.  This isn't investigative reporting.   All I care about is it true as opposed to who specifically in that building feels that way about Haskins.  And if I hear things from a ton of different sources of all types, the odds are its probably true. 

When Keim says he heard the same thing from the last coaching staff and this coaching staff its probably true.   This isn't politics.  This is about whether we got a franchise Qb or not.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wasn't referring to you but if you want to lump yourself with the Haskins is not at fault crowd and you assume you are in that mix, I am surprised and a bit confused but OK? 

No, I don’t think you were lumping me in. I was just jumping in and sharing some of my thoughts.

If I was thinking of your position my point would be hyperbole.   

Explain yourself lol 

You've said on this thread that you think Haskins is more likely a bust than a success.  So not sure why you'd think I'd lump you in?

I was 60-40 in Haskins corner to conclude last year and that became 40-60, but with understanding my fears of him being overly coached and pigeoned holed to an OCs way of doing things versus maximizing his talents coming to fruition, IMO.

With that said, I won’t ignore my concerns about his inaccuracy, decline in mobility and pocket manipulation from last year, or smiles on the sidelines when losing or laughing with the opponent after a loss. The smiling and stuff is completely a “me thing” and don’t conclude it being a right or wrong as many guys do it, but it’s more difficult for whatever reason to see it from the starting QB. It’s tough on the QB because Terry was right there smiling with him one time and he didn’t catch much flak about it.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

- its because those people don't want to be lightening rods and want to feel comfortable sharing things without making themselves the center of attention.

So now we have to be sympathetic and understanding to those who aren't interested in keeping the locker room private? They need to go run their mouth to create not only dissension among the townfolk but also inside the room? 

I thought we were done with this type of Paul Reverism. 

Some things never change I guess.

2 hours ago, ggarriso said:

We have covered the reason a certain segment of our fanbase is taking this approach with Dwayne and attacking those who dare to point out his obvious flaws. It's a topic I'm uncomfortable addressing and perhaps a violation of the board rules but it has been discussed. 

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You referring there to reporters should not quote people anoynmously.  Guys like Keim explain why they do it -- its because those people don't want to be lightening rods and want to feel comfortable sharing things without making themselves the center of attention.  So yeah if its someone in the FO blasting Haskins that dude would be automatically at odds from then on in that building with Haskins.  So they aren't going to put their names on it.

How is this accepted within an organization? It’s weak and in no way represents a culture shift I was hoping would take place. 

I literally thought Ron would be the type of dude to ask John during a presser, who’s your source? Who’s putting this nonsense out about Haskins? Or ask him privately with same intent lol

For me, this isn't Watergate.  This isn't investigative reporting.   All I care about is it true as opposed to who specifically in that building feels that way about Haskins.  And if I hear things from a ton of different sources of all types, the odds are its probably true. 

This where we differ, I want it to be about action and limit the noise. Ron could’ve shielded Haskins from some of this scrutiny while making a QB change, but he chose to engage and add to it. Players seem to be okay with it, because Haskins isn’t a good football player and young, but if he handles other guys in this way it could lead to cultural problems in the future. 

As I continue to mention in previous postings, these were my expectations of Ron and I’m working to remove these expectations (subconscious conclusions). It’s difficult, because this kind of stuff was what I thought he be elite at, but we have a long ways to go and I still lean towards him establishing a solid culture. 

He’s carrying a different level of power. My complete guess is he was a coach that leaned on being a players coach to point of being us against everyone (including the FO in some cases), but this play no longer exists. 

When Keim says he heard the same thing from the last coaching staff and this coaching staff its probably true.   This isn't politics.  This is about whether we got a franchise Qb or not.  

This isn’t just about Haskins for me, but an overall philosophy of how to manage players and situations presenting resistance, friction, and/or chaos.

29 minutes ago, wit33 said:

No, I don’t think you were lumping me in. I was just jumping in and sharing some of my thoughts.

Explain yourself lol 

You seem to be saying i am using hyperbole with some of the pro Haskins position here and referred to yourself in that mix.  My response was no hyperbole at all on my end as for certain opinions on this thread.    There are few people here that give just about zero give on any criticism of Haskins.    And that's cool to each there own but i was referring my point in that specific context.  I wasn't thinking of you at all when i made that point so i was surprised you jumped in on that. 

Edit: my part where i was saying my point would be indeed hyperbole if I was referring to you was simply because you aren't among the Haskins isn't at fault crowd.  

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

How is this accepted within an organization? It’s weak and in no way represents a culture shift I was hoping would take place. 

I literally thought Ron would be the type of dude to ask John during a presser, who’s your source? Who’s putting this nonsense out about Haskins? Or ask him privately with same intent lol

This where we differ, I want it to be about action and limit the noise. Ron could’ve shielded Haskins from some of this scrutiny while making a QB change, but he chose to engage and add to it. Players seem to be okay with it, because Haskins isn’t a good football player and young, but if he handles other guys in this way it could lead to cultural problems in the future. 

As I continue to mention in previous postings, these were my expectations of Ron and I’m working to remove these expectations (subconscious conclusions). It’s difficult, because this kind of stuff was what I thought he be elite at, but we have a long ways to go and I still lean towards him establishing a solid culture. 

He’s carrying a different level of power. My complete guess is he was a coach that leaned on being a players coach to point of being us against everyone (including the FO in some cases), but this play no longer exists. 

This isn’t just about Haskins for me, but an overall philosophy of how to manage players and situations presenting resistance, friction, and/or chaos.

I'm not sure what you are expecting.  If we did not get this inside information the fans would only see his on the field problems and think this benching was totally unfair. I think it's good to know the truth.  Again people do not put their names to quotes for obvious reasons, Deep Throat was an unnamed source and nobody questioned his motive or content.  "Protect Your Source" is drilled into every journalist while still in school. That saying is there for a reason, it gives people the freedom to speak without fear of retribution. 

Best way for me to explain it to you is I don't even feel like debating it.  to me its boring. I can care less.  And you know i've debated you on plenty so am not afraid to discuss.

But how Haskins has been treated with leaks.  Rivera's abilitiy or lack thereof to publicly deal with the politics on it.  To me its yawn, yawn yawn.  

Lets get a real franchise Qb, put on the Ohio State game right now and salivate.    

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lets get a real franchise Qb, put on the Ohio State game right now and salivate.   

We do very much agree that finding an elite QB and one that runs a 4.4 supersedes all lol. Enjoy your day of college football. I look forward to learning from you guys about the upcoming players. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  The Haskins mess is a symptom of the previous adminstration's dysfunction along with Dan.  Rivera is trying to clean that up.  It's a mess he's inherited as opposed to created. 

I agree with you 100% (Except that you know it's all Jay's fault.  Including the Kennedy assassination. :P

I think Ron has made one massive communication mistake publicly, but I don't think he's made the same mistake privately.

Here's what I think happened as it relates to Haskins:

1. He had absolutely no idea if Haskins could be his guy or not when he took the job.  He and Dan probably discussed it, and Ron probably said, "I don't know, but we need to find out. There is some promise, but there are a lot of questions."  The reason I think he said that is because that's basically what he said on Day 1.  

2. They went into the season with job #1 being "figure out what you have in Haskins."  And to that end, signing Cam or another vet stands in the way of that.  So, Ron challenged him early, and by all accounts, the early results were actually fairly positive.  

3.  I think if Tua hadn't been injured, the team would have drafted him or Burrow.  Because an un-inured Tua might have gone #1 overall, and would have definitely gone #2.  His hip injury changed everything, and made taking Chase a no-brainer.  And Ron knew this in December BEFORE he took the job.  So, Ron's choices at QB were Cam/other Vet who would have to be penciled in as starter, Tua at 2 which was a huge risk due to injury, or trade back and pass up on Young.  He wasn't going to pass on Young to trade back and look at another QB in the draft, given he hadn't even seen Haskins run 1 play in practice with his coaching staff.

4. So, given 2 and 3, I think they were kindof stuck with Haskins and to give him every opportunity to make it work.  And again, I think the early returns were positive. You could see he was putting in the work in the weight room, at the very least.  

5. Then training camp started.  And Ron/coaching staff actually got a chance to work with Dwayne.  And things started to change.  How quickly, I don't know.

6. Here's where I think Ron made started to make a massive communications mistake: Ron continued to blow sunshine up our asses about Haskins through week 4.  Clearly, he was trying to be supportive of Haskins, and didn't want to even entertain a QB debate.  However, in doing this, he put a whole lot of stuff on the record which made him changing his tune and benching Haskins rather abruptly look like a really big, knee jerk flip-flop.  I'm not sure exactly how he could have messaged it much differently, because you don't want your QB looking over his shoulder, so you can't say he's on a short leash.  So it's a bit of a pickle.  But the effusive nature of his praise of Haskins got him in trouble.

7. Something happened in the ~20 hours between the end of Ron's post game presser after the Browns game to his Monday presser.  I don't know what it was, but there was an event.  Either it was Haskins talking about his fantasy stats, or not showing up to work early on Monday morning, or something.  We might never know.  But SOMETHING happened, because "we're sticking by him, he can't learn unless he's playing" turned into "there is a breaking point" (or whatever Ron called it) in less than 20 hours. 

8. And then we got the REAL HUGE communication bungle by bringing in the fact it's a weak division and we're trying to win now.  See, the problem is in defending Haskins so vociferously, and the actions he was taking on the field to protect Haskins from himself, he kept referring to this season as a growth season.  I'm convinced he didn't call the time-outs at the end of a couple of games because he really didn't want to put Haskins back out there and have him throw up all over himself, either with bad play or interceptions, or whatever.  And going from that story to the "win-now weak division" story was absolutely jarring.  

8. From there, it's kindof easy to see what happened.  Haskins performed "ok" against Baltimore, but clearly Ron had had it with whatever was lingering, work ethic, maturity, whatever.  And he went to Kyle Allen.  

I have no problem with what Ron did in benching Haskins.  It's his right to do it, and honestly, if this was still the Bruce show with Jay as HC, a phone call is made and even if Jay wanted to flip QBs, Dan/Bruce would have overridden him. (That's a knock on Dan/Bruce, not Jay)  So, I take some solace in the fact Ron wanted to make a change and he was able to do so.  Here's for small victories.

My perception since his benching is Haskins has behaved like a petulant teenager.  And that's not really that surprising given he's only 3 years removed from being a teenager.  But you can't have that behavior from a starting NFL QB.    

I think I get what Ron was trying to do, and why he has been trying to do it.  I don't know, should have called uncle earlier? He had a built in excuse of "no off-season, Kyle knows the system!" and maybe he just goes that route in August if he doesn't like what he sees?  He could have said he supported Haskins, but everybody is being evaluated all the time, him included, and maybe left it at that?  I'm not sure what he could have used as the TO excuses.  He didn't care about injuries, I'm convinced he had no confidence in Haskins, so he just wanted the game over.  He tried the injury excuse and that went over like a lead balloon.  Personally, I think he should have just used the damn TOs and let Haskins throw up all over himself.  But he really didn't want to do that, so I don't know how you can spin it.  It's like Shanahan saying Rex Grossman was in better cardiovascular shape than Donovan McNabb when he stuck Sexy Rexy in during a 2 minute drive.  Nothing you say is going to make sense unless you tell the truth (Donovan sucks, I thought Rex could do better/Haskins was going to blow up because he doesn't know the plays, I'd prefer to lose by 15 than 30), and you don't want to really do that either.  

Now, behind the scenes, I think he's probably been 100% truthful, because he can be, and everybody knows the truth anyway, so I think none of this really matters in the grand scheme of things to the functioning of the football team.  And I think Ron doesn't give 5 minutes of extra thought as to how the DC media is going to react, because he knows that the players in the room know what the deal is, and to him, I think that's all that matters.  

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm not sure what you are expecting.  If we did not get this inside information the fans would only see his on the field problems and think this benching was totally unfair. I think it's good to know the truth.  Again people do not put their names to quotes for obvious reasons, Deep Throat was an unnamed source and nobody questioned his motive or content.  "Protect Your Source" is drilled into every journalist while still in school. That saying is there for a reason, it gives people the freedom to speak without fear of retribution. 

I don’t put all the blame on either party, the coaches/FO or reporters, but believe the more noise a franchise can eliminate the stronger the culture.

The goal being to provide a safe environment for players, coaches, and FO to work in and theoretically have the freedom to produce at a high level respective to their role within the franchise. Noise/drama gets in the way and distracts people from operating at peak levels. 

I don’t put all the blame on either party, the coaches/FO or reporters, but believe the more noise a franchise can eliminate the stronger the culture.

The goal being to provide a safe environment for players, coaches, and FO to work in and theoretically have the freedom to produce at a high level respective to their role within the franchise. Noise/drama gets in the way and distracts people from operating at peak levels. 

Know what would improve the culture? Get rid of the lazy diva QB.  Without this situation there would be no talk today about the culture here.  His behavior forced the coach to do this tap dance, the leaks were in response to all the questions about off the field issues of the starting QB.  All this latest drama is squarely on Dwayne Haskins, with a different QB we have little drama.  

25 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Then the inmates still run the asylum and there is still no professionalism in the organization. If this is what you perceive as acceptable, the idea of players and coaches running to journalists with dirt, then nothing is ever going to change. 

As someone wisely mentioned in an earlier post the first round pick used to acquire Haskins is a sunk cost and should have no bearing on his evaluation.

All draft picks, even the first overall pick, are nothing more than educated guesses. Projections of how a player’s skills, talents, and other qualities, as displayed in college, will correlate in the NFL.

It is not an exact science. Sometimes you hit it big in the third round on a talent that should have gone much earlier (McLaurin) and sometimes you draft a complete bust in the first (Doctson).

Uncertainty is the way of things-  not only with respect to the draft, but in the evaluation of human potential in general.

If our organization is to move forward and not flounder for years in the wake of a drafting error it needs the will to act unsympathetically and ruthlessly when faced with a fatally flawed draft pick.

Haskins may well beat the odds and become a fine quarterback for some team but he will never do it here. Time to cut our losses and move on.

Archived