Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

19 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Sweat seems to be coming on a bit recently, but I can't understate just how much of a blow it is that we're not seeing any true returns on both our 1st rounders. 

Reminds me of the three 2nd rounders year, with Sleepy Davis being the lone survivor, but taking 3-4 years before he became a consistent target.

Dwayne Haskins has no clue what it takes to be successful in the NFL. I have a bad feeling that we have a kid who just became a millionaire and that that's all she wrote; he's done working. The Skins missed on this pick and it was all Dan Snyder.....another example of Dan screwing up this team and why we will forever suck.

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

And Keenum has already been benched once, Colt blew his shot and is inactive on gameday now, and Haskins is still allegedly not preparing properly?  Man, that's rough.  It's one thing if it's gonna take a catastrophe for you to get in the game, but that ain't his situation.

He takes zero accountability for his own performance and development. He’s a typical coddled participation trophy millennial. He assumes he has arrived and doesn’t need to do any work. He compared himself to Brees, Brady and Rodgers and says he will be a hall of famer. He pouts when he gets passed over by the Giants but makes them seem like geniuses when he throws 3 picks to them in a half of play.

The dude is all talk. All delusion. Zero hard work. Zero accountability. He wants to look like a quarterback but doesn’t want to do any of the work to be an NFL quarterback. Trade him before Tuesday for a 4th and we made out like bandits at this point...

5 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He takes zero accountability for his own performance and development. He’s a typical coddled participation trophy millennial. He assumes he has arrived and doesn’t need to do any work. He compared himself to Brees, Brady and Rodgers and says he will be a hall of famer. He pouts when he gets passed over by the Giants but makes them seem like geniuses when he throws 3 picks to them in a half of play.

The dude is all talk. All delusion. Zero hard work. Zero accountability. He wants to look like a quarterback but doesn’t want to do any of the work to be an NFL quarterback. Trade him before Tuesday for a 4th and we made out like bandits at this point...

So many funny things in this post 😂

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

Guys, our owner picked Haskins over the advice of the football people. With his track record, how could we expect Haskins not to be a disaster?

Have to agree. Snyder doesn't know squat when it comes to other positions, but for some reason he thinks he's good at picking a QB. I'm not going to get on his case in this one though because Murray and Jones were already picked, and would we have chosen Lock instead? Don't like at all what I've seen so far, but maybe starting in more games could change that (I don't know). 

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If you say so.  I mean, you obviously know everything about him, lol. 

I have been more spot on than most so far.

In 2019 when you draft a kid out of a powerhouse like Ohio State playing a skill position and he’s that pudgy/baby fat on him, it’s a huge red flag alone on his commitment. With all the sports nutritionists, trainers and conditioning coaches and he looks like that as a junior, there is something off.

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

I get that you think Haskins is a bust. I think the only people who haven't heard your opinion on it are aliens who are literally too far away from us for the information traveling at the speed of light to have reached them yet. 

But you don't make your case all that much better when you keep repeating something like this, which is at best misleading or out of context, and at worst a flat out lie. 

Haskins didn't compare himself to Brady and Brees by saying "Yeah I think I'm like them now" or something of that nature, implying that's it a direct comparison to him. What he said was:

“It’s easy to look at the rookie class and be like, ‘Rookies are playing, why am I not playing?’ I want to be like Tom Brady and Drew Brees and that’s something that doesn’t happen overnight,” he told reporters. Tom didn’t play at first; Aaron Rodgers didn’t play at first.”

He wants to be like them. He wasn't saying he should be directly compared with them right now. He noted that those are guys he looks up to and that they didn't play immediately either, so that gives him some solace about not starting right away.

As far as the HOF stuff he said his "goal" was to win SBs and be in the HOF:

“Hall of Fame,” Haskins told Springs on his overall goal as an NFL player. “Win a couple of Super Bowls and I’m going to get in the Hall of Fame. One percent better, whatever it is, every day and try and figure it out.”

His goal is to be that good. Is it confident? Yeah. Maybe a bit much to be saying as a rookie? Maybe. But do you really think if you asked some great QBs what their ultimate goal would be in the NFL when they were rookies that most would say "Well, I dunno. I mean I don't think I'll ever be good enough to be in the Hall Of Fame, but I just want to be a pretty good player"? 

I've been tough on Haskins. I didn't want him before the draft, but after we drafted him i said we need to give him time as he has tons of talent but is raw and needs to fix some pretty big mechanical issues. So far he has underwhelmed and that is exactly what I expected. But you're going full apocalyptic and yelling that he's a bust already. Using quotes out of context doesn't make your case look any better. 

2 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Have to agree. Snyder doesn't know squat when it comes to other positions, but for some reason he thinks he's good at picking a QB. I'm not going to get on his case in this one though because Murray and Jones were already picked, and would we have chosen Lock instead? Don't like at all what I've seen so far, but maybe starting in more games could change that (I don't know). 

I wasn't alone in saying that 2019 would not be a good year to draft a QB. None of the candidates had that "can't miss" aura about them.  The 2020 draft has been seen to be more impressive.  But, when you have a telemarketer picking in the 1st round you end up reaching.  

56 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I wasn't alone in saying that 2019 would not be a good year to draft a QB. None of the candidates had that "can't miss" aura about them.  The 2020 draft has been seen to be more impressive.  But, when you have a telemarketer picking in the 1st round you end up reaching.  

Forget Haskins... if Chase Young is on the board and we take a QB I’ll be upset :ols:

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Forget Haskins... if Chase Young is on the board and we take a QB I’ll be upset :ols:

Would you take Chase Young over both Tua and Burrow? No matter how poorly Haskins played for the rest of the season (if they even let him play)? I might be on board with that either way too; Young is just THAT good. But it would be a tough call if Tua or Burrow were sitting in our laps and Haskins hadn't improved at all. IMO Tua is a better prospect than Murray but his injury concerns are legit. I really like what I've seen from Burrow but while he has plenty of playing time, he's still a bit of a one year wonder from a production standpoint. 

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Would you take Chase Young over both Tua and Burrow? No matter how poorly Haskins played for the rest of the season (if they even let him play)? I might be on board with that either way too; Young is just THAT good. But it would be a tough call if Tua or Burrow were sitting in our laps and Haskins hadn't improved at all. IMO Tua is a better prospect than Murray but his injury concerns are legit. I really like what I've seen from Burrow but while he has plenty of playing time, he's still a bit of a one year wonder from a production standpoint. 

I’d take Young over anyone.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:44 AM, ThomasRoane said:

Having coached Tyrod 

No wonder he had so much to work on when he got to VT.

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

I wasn't alone in saying that 2019 would not be a good year to draft a QB. None of the candidates had that "can't miss" aura about them.  

Can you share with us your pre draft evaluation of Haskins? Preferably, sans aura’s. 

If there is any semblance of truth to Dwayne being a Dan/Bruce pick (and there is billowing smoke on that), there is not a chance in this world, no matter how much action he does or doesn’t see, how horribly he might play, etc, that we draft a QB in the first round.  Dan has a tendency to be patient when he’s in love with a guy, see Vinny, Bruce, Griffin for examples.     Make no mistake about it, we are riding with Haskins for the foreseeable future.  The next coach will be selected with the primary objective being to develop Haskins.  Basically, we are stuck with this dude for a while.  So if you are convinced that there’s no chance in the world that he’ll ever be good, you might as well check back in around 2022.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

I've been tough on Haskins. I didn't want him before the draft, but after we drafted him i said we need to give him time as he has tons of talent but is raw and needs to fix some pretty big mechanical issues. So far he has underwhelmed and that is exactly what I expected. But you're going full apocalyptic and yelling that he's a bust already. Using quotes out of context doesn't make your case look any better. 

You were a Jason Campbell apologist for years. Your opinion is irrelevant based on that history. You repeated your nonsense into the ground for years. So thanks for playing. Your evaluation skills are a search  away....

17 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

You were a Jason Campbell apologist for years. Your opinion is irrelevant based on that history. You repeated your nonsense into the ground for years. So thanks for playing. Your evaluation skills are a search  away....

:ols:

Yes I did think/hope Campbell could be successful but it didn't end up being the case and I was wrong. That was right around when I joined the board and I've learned much more about QB play since then, mostly thanks to people on here who know much more about it than I. And I still make plenty of mistakes. Just ask @volsmet about Will Grier.

What, specifically, does that have to do with what I said about Haskins pre-draft and what I'm saying about him now? They line up. Or were you just looking for some reason to discount everything else I said as "irrelevant"? Search to your heart's content. I wasn't big on Haskins pre-draft and explained why I felt that way. And those are many of the same things that are keeping him back now. I'm hardly the only one who noted those issues.

Also what does any of this have to do with you taking multiple quotes from Haskins out of context in order to bolster your case that he's an absolute bust and we should trade him immediately for a ham sandwich or a macrame toaster oven? I'm not the first person to call you out on taking those quotes out of context either, and you know it. 

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

:ols:

Yes I did think/hope Campbell could be successful but it didn't end up being the case and I was wrong. That was right around when I joined the board and I've learned much more about QB play since then, mostly thanks to people on here who know much more about it than I. And I still make plenty of mistakes. Just ask @volsmet about Will Grier.

Will Grier may end up being nice. You’ll hit 99.9% if you bet on QBs to stink, that’s why I signed back on to reply in this thread, it’s nauseating seeing people pound their chest because someone struggled... particularly when none of those people pointed out the flaws in ..where he was.. before the season. How many analysts said he dropped his elbow/arm? How many said he’d turn the ball over? How many said he’d take sacks? How many said he’d struggle with the zone defense he threw his int into? I did. That’s the list. He needs time, nobody here knows who he may become, but he needs reps ..to figure out how to make throws...  into nfl windows ... with his mechanics. 

In this thread I asked the ESperts to watch the Nebraska game & share what they saw... nobody saw anything real, but I shared that I was trying to point how his struggle to process the different zones Neb was falling into; by the time DH played Michigan & Washington, he was moving through things much more quickly. He improved as he played. No one was harder on him than I was, no one pointed out the precise things he’d struggle with other than myself... and it’s beyond sickening to see him get ripped by pompous charlatans before he’s had a chance to see & attempt to adjust to the speed of the game at this level. He got better in college; if the Haskins that played Neb, had played Washington, OSU would have lost by 50. He’s raw — we won’t know if he can play until he’s .... 🤔 ... played. You can’t count a guy out when he’s seen 50 snaps at this speed... on the worst team in the league. 

DH has 1/9th of his cap on the IR & 15 starts ago he was playing Georgetown Prep. He needs to play. The end.

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

I agree 100%.  I think there are reasonable concerns about the guy, possibly including his dedication to improving himself as a QB.  But, Haskins did not say anything that could reasonably be construed as claiming to be a HOF type player.  He basically just said that he aspires to have that type of career, and he will have to work at it constantly to try to achieve those things.  I think it is disingenuous to spin that into him being arrogant or entitled.  

Oh no, here comes @Thinking Skins with that "optimism" thing again. 

I'll first say that I was in the pro drafting Haskins camp, as well as the pro let him sit camp. Not that I'd have done the later personally, just that I understand where the coaches are coming from. We've seen it recently with other positions on this very team and its been beneficial (Moses, Long, Thompson, Apke, Dunbar, come to mind). It may be different with Haskins because he's a first round QB but like a lot of these guys (particularly Dunbar and Apke) the scouts and coaches see things in him that could develop into a really good if not elite player if developed. So the question becomes do we have the environment in place to develop him? That remains to be seen, but Dunbar is looking like a really good job of development. I mean before 2018 we re-signed him as a FA to a low ball offer that most starting CBs would probably laugh at. Then he balled out as our starting CB. Can we do it with a QB? who knows. History says no, but what teams have developed a QB? 

Now, back to the game. I'll first start with the Giants game. And that game really has to be broken down into two segments - before the 4th quarter and the 4th quarter. Lets remember that he was put in there to try to give life to an offense that looked dead upon arrival when it got to NY. He came into the game and led us on an 11 play drive that led us to our only points of the game. That drive included two completed passes (one to Harmon, one to Quinn) and one rush before the drive stalled at the three. 

Next drive was a 3 and out but he had a pass to Richardson on second down that set up a 3rd and 3 that we didn't convert. 

The next drive was the pic 6, then a drive that starts at our own 10. We get some breathing room with a second down completion to Davis for the first before the drive stalls on a third down sack. 

Then the next two drives we get the other two ints. 

Ok, on to the Vikings game. 

Now this time, unlike the Giants game the offense was actually moving the ball and Keenum was probably on the way to a 200+ yard passing day. 

So on his first drive of the third, he completes a pass to Sprinkle on second down, but the drive is a 3 and out. 

On his third drive he has a pass to AP that the announcers said should have been picked, and I see him getting criticized for but I thought he did just what his abilities allow him to do - he go the ball into a tight window, and the fact that the defender couldn't make the play he thought he had allowed AP to pick up more yards. At the time of the play you heard Aikman say it was the longest play of the day for us. Then the next play was AP's big run for 29 yards. So what happens this drive? We get 3 points. SO it was one of our three scoring drives this game. 

The next drive is when they tried to punk our D, we stop them on 4th down and get good field position and I'll admit that I didn't like this play, and I don't even think it was something like him trusting his skills too much, I just think he got too excited about TMac being WIDE OPEN and rushed the throw. We see it all the time in the NFL, both from QBs and other positions, like when a DB drops a pic or a WR drops a pass or a RB fumbles a handoff. I hear people talking on and on about his mechanics and that was Aikman's initial comment and I agree that they were off, but that's not the fundamental part of the story. If the ball is like 1 inch lower thats a big play, mechanics or not, so I'm not nearly as down on this play as others. 

I'm still 50/50 on whether I want him in there or not. I think Cal said it best in that we're trying to win games still so this is not a study session for Dwayne. But I don't see his mistakes as things he can't learn from or things that can't be undone. I mean I go back to a lot of other sites where people are paid to do these things for a living and they talked about his skillset. 538.com had him as one of the highest predicted probabilities of success in this draft.  (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nfl-is-drafting-quarterbacks-all-wrong/). 

But my main thing is that this is kinda exactly what we should have expected. Its why Gruden wasn't so hype about playing him, why he was the third QB on the chart (and why most Redskins analysts were saying he should have been). It shows he has things to learn, but can do things to move the ball in the NFL. We haven't seen his arm really make plays in the regular season yet, but I think it just takes some time. I think the fact that Cal has established the running game allows Haskins to have less pressure on him than he had in that Giants game where we got nothing from the RBs. On Haskins's scoring drive against the Vikings we were able to move teh ball through the run so Haskins didn't feel like he had to do everything. I posted in an earlier post how important the running game and TEs are to rookie/young QBs and I think the fact that our starting TE is Sprinkle is hurting Haskins. If we had Davis or Reed I think he'd be putting up much better numbers as they're harder to cover. I think if we had Thompson it'd be different because he's much better than dude from Philly (or if we would just cut him and sign Bibbs). I could go on and on, but this is about Haskins so I'm just saying that I think he's right on schedule with what I'd expect for this year. I expect us to see him again because neither other guy on the roster has any experience staying healthy for long periods of time and our OL isn't great.

So I want to see growth, but more I want him to have the film so that he can study his own mistakes and hopefully learn from this this offseason, if not sooner. 

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He doesn’t watch film. He doesn’t believe he makes mistakes. He’s a bust. All the optimism, rainbows and puppies won’t change that undeniable fact...

You don’t watch film. You don’t believe you make mistakes. You don’t date busty women (I can’t call you a bust, in parody, because I’ll get in trouble in this wild football world of tough guy geniuses). “”

EB609A07-8738-442E-9A4C-6580C045C766.gif

On 1/29/2019 at 7:52 PM, volsmet said:

I began my Haskins journey with Michigan State.

Haskins vs psu

People who call Lock erratic, or question his foot work, or anything else - really ought to take a close look at Haskins v MSU & PSU, he was an udfa in each game, if not for screens & an atrocious pass that 6ft 13in Victor brought in (and scored on) Osu scores nothing.

Haskins has more of an arm than I thought, but he was abysmal in the two road games I’ve watched so far. He better be gone when we pick. He’s quickly becoming my Daniel Jones. 😬

On 1/29/2019 at 8:53 PM, volsmet said:

Avert your eyes, please get any children under the age of 16 out of the room before scrolling down; This could scar a child for life. 

15 passes from a win, two big completions, one a 2 yard dump that only a 5 star recruit grabs with 1 hand, the other probably an int if playing Bama/Clemson/ExtremeSkins all stars. 

This is a game Haskins was the hero of, he’s not the answer to any teams problems, I hope he goes to NY if Jones doesn’t. This isn’t just bad, this is ridiculous.

91E5F599-1912-429C-B6F3-FAC72101BD08.gif

E6908ED8-8F6A-4550-A2D8-DBC410ACD8BB.gif

66314172-4317-4BCB-BEAB-545489D8D26E.gif

2C4FBBBB-795A-4D3F-BB93-9BE6F5C2F79E.gif

00AB66E6-2507-4328-9DE4-4DC8BE8BE56F.gif

A4E7788E-0A79-4F81-8608-839006DEB5E1.gif

8D087DFF-BB89-4539-B584-D56E4C216013.gif

C2D5EFDD-A424-4950-A1EE-ABC9A370D58E.gif

B35C90E8-DB60-475B-8C74-7B11E93CB3E2.gif

4BDE5893-7B80-4162-A55A-6EAFC53CE527.gif

E24D42DA-B1E9-4FA8-93BE-E555324B03DB.gif

58D5C306-3038-4D43-AEBC-37AC2EEBEE3C.gif

2A06D51D-BF85-46A4-88DA-945994F1AC61.gif

3DBDA183-24B8-4132-9BAC-D3D6F856893E.gif

E8DDB379-544F-43D7-964C-CAA5077DAAF9.gif

On 4/24/2019 at 10:13 PM, volsmet said:

You told me I have a narrow perspective despite being alone in my criticisms of him. None of the passes above were catchable by humans, they were plays schemed up to be simple & he failed time after time but Ohio states superior talent gives Haskins more opportunities than anyone else can imagine getting. His footwork is atrocious, he drops his arm, he drops a ball trying to get it out, he misses an easy read, he misses a wide open TE... it’s grotesque. 

The stats are lovely, he’s an overrated prospect with a great arm & great stats...

On 5/6/2019 at 12:51 PM, volsmet said:

More seriously, Haskins needs to work on composure with pressure, arm speed, arm elevation, & the feet. 

That’s reality, Rapaport approved or not.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:59 PM, volsmet said:

I wonder where Haskins would have been with another year to work on some things ... he makes some unbelievable throws ... then throws where his arm looks like it gained 16 lbs mid throw. 

On 5/8/2019 at 8:38 AM, volsmet said:

The issues for Haskins are all things you can work on, but they’re not insignificant. He has little composure with pressure up the middle, he drops his arm without much feel for any sort of improvisation & the arm will lag on some deep/touch/outside throws because of it, & then he rushes his arm through entirely too quickly on short stuff when things require him to move. These things aren’t particularly easy to work on in the nfl because they require seeing/processing the game more slowly & he’s about to see a game that’s infinitely faster. 

On 5/8/2019 at 11:21 PM, volsmet said:

When you see a guys arm so unnatural when he’s moving, there is often a disconnect in fluidity that will never be resolved by anything but elite pass protection & tireless preparation.

On 5/22/2019 at 12:03 PM, volsmet said:

Washington went bend but don’t break early, with little success, then began blitzing the middle during their comeback & Haskins struggled fairly significantly with it. He just isn’t used to pressure yet, he throws drifting back & his arm falls a bit out of sync with his body. He’s not the natural athlete some guys are, so footwork becomes far more important for him than a guy like Murray, and footwork around a real threat is nearly impossible to replicate. Haskins does a great job getting his backs where they need to be.

Occasionally you see Haskins fooled, but the players are so good that he still gets a positive result in college that he wouldn’t elsewhere, but that’s the case with nearly every QB. I’ve seen draft experts on twitter positively highlight plays that were actually misreads, but they look good in a highlight because he moves protection... which people get excited about .. even if it’s moved the wrong direction. 

On 8/15/2019 at 11:07 PM, volsmet said:

Haskins mechanics & accuracy are still raw, but the reads, poise, & arm are exceptional. In the draft thread people struggled with those of us who brought up issues with mechanics & accuracy because of his numbers at OSU ...but in a more advanced setting, with lesser advantages around him, those things show up more clearly. 

DH simply needs a million reps. He has never needed to succeed from anything less than ideal circumstances & you can’t learn how to deal with pressure ... perceived or otherwise ... without a legitimate, constant, threat. I was very encouraged by tonight’s outing, he has bad habits to break, but work ethic will never be an issue, so I’m pretty excited about his chances to make the necessary adjustments in the next year+. His feet, hips, shoulders ... uhg, it can get ugly and lead to atrocious passes... but he’s processing the game pretty cleanly for a young kid... and he is responding very well after being hit or making a bad pass ... I love the guy as a person & see more to believe in as a player.

On 8/8/2019 at 9:27 PM, volsmet said:

2nd one was just getting locked in and deciding he was going there no matter what, he’s done that a couple times... as expected. His feet get lazy, his elbow drops, the ball sails. Youth.

The protection has been surprisingly strong. 

On 10/2/2019 at 7:53 PM, volsmet said:

DH can be casual on his touch passes, even sinking his hips to sync his upper half, which leads to throws that are less precise & either off the back foot, with a dropped elbow, or each. 

Haskins is less fluid/athletic than Rodgers, so his unorthodox throws look more awkward, but the arm is similar; He can make unbelievable throws while looking like he tore his acl while his appendix ruptured — but he needs to keep working on the boring stuff, as all QBs do until they retire.

On 10/7/2019 at 9:49 PM, volsmet said:

The mechanics are only a big deal because they cause his issues with accuracy. He may adjust to the speed of the game and be able to complete a high % when his mechanics aren’t sound, but right now he’s missing throws, in games, that he makes routinely in 7 v 7, because he’s not repeating his steps which creates a wider variance in the results of his throws. These are things we talked about extensively in the draft thread, he may be able to play just fine as he is, but he needs the reps to see and feel the throws over and over and over. 

With his athleticism the issue is how quickly he resets himself, he can move decently, but moving to throw can give him problems... he tends to need to reload because he’ll collapse his feet on top of one another and, even if he pulls the trigger from that base, it’s unlikely to be accurate. He struggles getting his hips wide left, he completed a pass to Quinn that wasn’t particularly accurate, another pass that caused a wide open wr to go to the ground, and missed Vernon for an easy td. He could rep his way through those things, it would just be a lot easier with another 5,000 yards in college than it is in the nfl. He can make a beautiful touch pass where his body sinks and he creates momentum for the throw from his hips up & he may not follow throw...he may leave his elbow low & still make the most beautiful pass you’ve ever seen ... and the next time he may leave a wheel short because he does something slightly different and the momentum doesn’t quite get through his throw ... these things are what coaches preach mechanics for, less margin for error through the throw, less to sort out on a miss. It’s a matter, for coaches, of eliminating variables from snap to pass - complementing his mind & talent. He just doesn’t have the reps. He has more spectacular throws than just about anyone, but then he’ll miss an easy one by more than anyone. 

He doesn’t need to get it perfect, he does need to play football though. Playing & then studying himself has been the path I’ve wanted since we drafted him, patience and thorough film study ... a week of working on what happened in the previous game, and then prep for the next start.

On 5/25/2019 at 11:26 PM, volsmet said:

Haskins v Nebraska thoughts needed. No idea is a bad idea.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:19 PM, volsmet said:

On Haskins v Nebraska - I suspect we will see a lot of zone & pressure v DH. If he starts, we need a guard to be ready to play at a high level or - with the 2nd pick in the 2020 draft, the Washington Redskins select:

(*Jeudy gif)

On 6/23/2019 at 9:05 PM, volsmet said:

There isn’t any chance Haskins is struggling to pick up the playbook in meetings, but there was always going to be struggles translating that to the field. DH is a bright kid, but one of his struggles is processing at game speed, which he hasn’t seen yet. Haskins struggled v Nebraska with infinitely superior talent, he’s going to struggle mightily here early. This is inevitable, what we do to help him grow is the question. As of now, no Trent, no #1 WR, and a weak interior line is not a great start.

Cooley is the man. He is the only football yapper in DC worthy of a listen. 

On 5/10/2019 at 1:54 PM, volsmet said:

The stuff I’ve pointed out rationally that get pushed back on emotionally. Haskins is atrocious with pressure, he’s very awkward, he’s not a natural passer when he’s off platform - though he’s always got the arm that gives him a chance to get a ball in the area. He misses more passes by 4+ yards than most, everything breaks down from his feet, hips, arm & shoulders when pressure is introduced. I don’t care one way or another, but observing reality bothers some here. 

Haskins will get what’s protected & schemed up — and you can scheme up an enormous chunk of the field because of his arm - he won’t be able to improvise in a league that is relying on more of it & he’s got to get his body in sync when he’s forced off his natural shuffle. That’s ok, it’s doable, it’s nothing against Haskins, it’s just what’s indisputably in his tape. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:20 PM, volsmet said:

He can help avoid pressure with his cerebral game, but his movements are awkward when pressure gets there & the tempo of his upper half struggles to stay aligned with his lower half which causes passes to sail. I don’t know the analytics on his pressure %, but watching the games I don’t recall seeing many QB’s who were under less duress throughout a season. 

Haskins is special when protected, he has advantages that you get at Ohio State, but to play with those advantages he had to beat out other incredible players & keep them off. You can’t face much more mental pressure than taking over at OSU, as a pure pocket passer, with limited experience, a suspended coach, & Tate Martell waiting to take over. 

Guys like Lock & Murray, who played other sports at an extraordinarily high level, are typically better with the more athletic looking throws, it gives them an advantage that Haskins is unlikely to ever recover, but he’s special in a clean pocket, he’s patient, he can move defenders, he can fit the ball into tight windows, he can get the ball out quickly enough for guys to do something with it. His gifts are profound, his weaknesses are why he fell, but you can protect a QB, if we make sure he’s protected, we may very well have something incredibly special. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:25 PM, volsmet said:

What you can see on the film is awkward, out of sync, movement that causes passes to fly. The frequency of the pressure was limited, but games like PSU showed immense issues with any pressure.... that game also showed what many skeptics point to — even in an abysmal game, he can dump the ball off & OSU still gets road wins v elite teams. 

Like everyone here, I hope he’s the best QB in the nfl for the next 15 years, I just wish we upgraded C & LG for him. 

Haskins completion % was boosted by some shorter passes, but he made some top tier throws that his guys dropped .... even when they scored 185 v Michigan, he had 4 drops of brilliantly placed footballs. His arm talent is just filthy. 

That same human is saying, relax, we don’t have nearly enough data to call him a bust or a star yet. 

2BD9528A-E8B1-4E13-8CC2-8B6F90AE84D5.gif

*Apologies to those who don’t enjoy reading. 

Archived