Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

16 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

He definitely learned it the same day and made sure he found a way to use his new found word. Now that i have this new found word...i must use it today in some fashion

I just called one of my coworkers a odalisque at lunch. He gave me a blank look, then googled it and wound up even more confused.

Any time you say something to another person, they google it, and end up more bewildered than before then that to me is a win.

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I just called one of my coworkers a odalisque at lunch. He gave me a blank look, then googled it and wound up even more confused.

Any time you say something to another person, they google it, and end up more bewildered than before then that to me is a win.

But what was the context lmbo

It's behind a pay-wall, but I thought this excerpt was promising. It speaks to one of the things I was most hopeful to see in Haskins, which is an exceptional learning/growth curve. Some of this could be off-season fluff, with the way she characterizes his command given what we know about the state of the line right now and the fact he can't be touched by the rush, but the point is that he is working his ass off even after hitting a wall and improving.

Looking forward to seeing the next moderate jump in growth when training camp comes along.

The confidence and big arm that had been on display in the weeks leading up to the majority of the roster’s return to Ashburn had dissipated, and Haskins, the 15th-overall pick, learned several hard lessons over the course of those three days. As I wrote last week, that was not a bad thing. It’s the kind of thing that needs to happen in order for Haskins to truly excel when the throws matter, and determine wins and losses, making the playoffs or not and beyond.

So every day after practice, there was Haskins, an assistant coach and one or a couple of the team’s receivers going over drills. On the final practice, it took Haskins anywhere from 40-50 minutes to come off the field after practice was done. On Tuesday, the team’s final open session before starting training camp July 25, Haskins couldn’t miss. His passes looked crisp. The windows he wasn’t fitting balls into last week, he was delivering with precision. The big arm that seemed to fade with each day of minicamp returned in rare form. Haskins was wheeling and dealing touchdowns like a blackjack dealer distributes cards at their table.

There were still some misses, here and there, but Haskins stepped up and battled back from a tough showing at minicamp. This is no surprise for anyone who has followed his journey to this point. In fact, it’s par for the course for how he’s been since he rose up the ranks at Bullis School in Potomac, Md., but with this being the final day we could watch Haskins, it was a great way for the signal caller to round out things.

https://theathletic.com/1022346/2019/06/12/late-work-after-practice-pays-dividends-for-dwayne-haskins-in-teams-final-week-of-otas/

16 hours ago, redskinss said:

It sure came off that way in your post. 

By only mentioning that they ranked us 24th and adding that it also included trent which wasn't specifically brought up in the article it sounded like you were referencing that their opinion of our line was worse than it is.

But whatever I'm not gonna get into an argument with you, your post certainly came off that way to me.

You read words, they come off a certain way because of you. The article was not about last year, everything you said was ridiculous. You have no argument, just misplaced pantaloons.

11 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

He definitely learned it the same day and made sure he found a way to use his new found word. Now that i have this new found word...i must use it today in some fashion

Another profiler, fascinating. 757 is the kind of guy who thinks reading is a punishment. 

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

giphy.gif

I love the Haskins pick and I'm hoping he's going to be the franchise QB the Skins have been looking for. 

With that being said I think Keenum is the better option for the start of the year. I also think Gruden will end up thinking he is the guy unless Colt comes back and looks good. 

At the end of the day I think Haskins starts week 1. I think the pressure from above will force Haskins in week 1. I hope if it is Haskins it's because he actually beat the other guys out. Not just because of Snyder. 

7 hours ago, volsmet said:

You read words, they come off a certain way because of you. The article was not about last year, everything you said was ridiculous. You have no argument, just misplaced pantaloons.

There, there now, get it all out.

You feel better?

Good, now move on.

As for the O line talk, I think if healthy they will be fine.  But what's the chance of that?

Ty Nsekhe IMO has been the unsung hero for years.  He's made the idea that Trent will miss give or take 25% of the season palatable.  Ditto Moses getting banged up.  In the last 2 years he's arguably also become their top reserve at guard.

If you judge him by PFF metrics (PFF says their O line metrics tend to be the least questioned of all positions they grade), he's the best run blocker on the team and their third best pass blocker.

Who do we have now to bail out Trent or Moses?  Christian is a project and looked awful last season -- not saying I rule him out but if he hasn't improved from last season then he's somewhere between bad and a disaster right now.  Eric Flowers from those who watched camp said he was beat like a rag doll, one beat guy said he's the worst player he's ever seen in camp.   Christian's pass blocking grade was in the 40s.  So is Bergstrom.  That's not good. 

Judging by PFF metrics our starting RBs are bad pass blockers with the exception of Thompson being so so.  And Jordan Reed PFF metric wise is the worst pass blocking TE in the NFL.

8 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

At the end of the day I think Haskins starts week 1. I think the pressure from above will force Haskins in week 1. I hope if it is Haskins it's because he actually beat the other guys out. Not just because of Snyder. 

I agree with you.  We'll definitely see come preseason as to who looks better.  If it's Keenum by a decent margin and Haskins is still named the starter you'll know it was a Snyder move.  

Someone mentioned it above, and it's a bit of a worry for me. I'm still concerned that Dan will try to pressure Jay into starting Haskins. 

Pretty much every reporter at the minicamps has said that while he has some moments where his talent really shines through, on the whole he's definitely not been better than Keenum. Which of course is fine and not surprising in the least at this stage.

I don't want the coaches to be forced into a situation that could be very detrimental to the young QB's development. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Someone mentioned it above, and it's a bit of a worry for me. I'm still concerned that Dan will try to pressure Jay into starting Haskins. 

Pretty much every reporter at the minicamps has said that while he has some moments where his talent really shines through, on the whole he's definitely not been better than Keenum. Which of course is fine and not surprising in the least at this stage.

I don't want the coaches to be forced into a situation that could be very detrimental to the young QB's development. 

Dan wants to win and this is the last stand for the coach and potentially GM. I believe he’ll continue to operate as he has been with Jay and Bruce; remember these are the two guys who assisted in benching Griffin.

Gruden must have some pull with Dan as well. Not a relationship that gets much PR. 

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I get it.  If it makes you feel any better, supposedly Haskins looked significantly better than Keenum in the last day of open OTA's.  Although the same writer said all-in-all for OTA's, Keenum has been better.  It's just that it's OTA's for two new QB's.  Both (I believe) look meh to bad.  Which from what I've read, is to be expected.  Neither are confident and sure of what the reads/progressions/etc are yet for each play.  Both have shown growth in that area, with Keenum's coming a little faster.  That's also not surprising, NFL veteran whose started full seasons for two franchises vs a Rookie.

The vibe I've gotten is that both Keenum and Haskins have been grasping more of the playbook throughout OTA's to the point that everybody is expecting them to continue that development to and through Training Camp.  I think it's a little early to worry about coaches being pressured into having Haskins start.

Here is a good article about Haskins by John Keim at ESPN (courtesy of Wildbunny's Breaking News Board):

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38595/jay-gruden-dwayne-haskins-talent-obvious-deserves-a-shot-to-start

I like this part:

"I want to be really, really good, and right now, I'm good sometimes. And that's frustrating, because I want to play like Tom Brady, I want to play like Drew Brees," Haskins said. "This is only my fourth week in camp and that's not going to be possible."

Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. That talent alone won't make him elite. It will take hard work and time.

I like this too:

But what Haskins must do is develop and learn. In meetings, he asks offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell about his former teammate Brady. Haskins picked the brain of veteran corner Dominique Rodgers-Cromartieafter plays, asking why he jumped certain routes.

"I'd tell him when he sets his feet or when he looks a certain way, he's staring down a little bit," Rodgers-Cromartie said. "Everything I tell him, he comes back the next day and he beats me with it."

47 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Here is a good article about Haskins by John Keim at ESPN (courtesy of Wildbunny's Breaking News Board):

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38595/jay-gruden-dwayne-haskins-talent-obvious-deserves-a-shot-to-start

"You see the 'wow' plays and you're like, 'Jesus,'" Gruden said. "When he's on, there's nobody you'd rather have than Dwayne. Really. It's pretty. He stands tall; he has a cannon, and he can quicken up his release. He's got great touch. Strong, powerful arm; strong, powerful body. But sometimes when he's off, he's abnormally off. It's kind of weird."

But that reflects Haskins' rookie stature, too. Gruden said there are times when Haskins is focused on remembering the play, repeating it properly, then reading a defense and throwing to new teammates. It's hard to play freely or to remember the situation.

Archived