Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure where to put this but hope the new deal stuff is wrong.  Trent misses give or take 25% of the season every year and is one violation away from a year suspension.  And he's not getting younger. 

Whole thread on Trent here

Lets keep this thread on Haskins.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah thanks I switched it to there once the thread was formed. 

1st tweet:  Oh thank you O'Connell!  Our play action has been infrequent and awkward ever since McVay left.

2nd tweet:  This sounds like narrowing the playbook to concepts Haskins is already comfortable with right?  That sounds good.

SHBURN - The good news for Redskins fans: Tuesday's minicamp, the first of the week's mandatory sessions, featured lots of deep passing, something fans have been clamoring for.

The better news: New offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell said he's committed to stretching the field this season.

The bad news: It wasn't very effective, at least on Tuesday.

A big portion of that was a patchwork offensive line going against the team's elite defensive starters, which resulted in rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins getting a day-long lesson in how to take a sack.

When the quarterbacks did get their long passes off, Case Keenum had more success on the day, though Haskins, as he has for the past month, turned heads with the zip he puts on the ball.

Haskins' accuracy wasn't as good as the coaches would have hoped for, but there's clearly high upside there, and the potential for the kind of big plays the Redskins have been lacking.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:06 PM, RandyHolt said:

Do QBs have to be taught to pump fake, or look off safeties? It seems so obviously a thing that all QBs should do, but as a Skins fans, i feel like I can count the number of pump fakes we have seen in any recent season, on one hand.

I love see Haskins doing that stuff.

It comes down to how fast a QB is processing what he is seeing. If they are slow at it their entire concentration is on watching their target. The good ones are processing info in their brain so fast that a subtle head fake or pump fake is easy to them. And they also understand what is happening all over the field which gives them the ability to look off a safety. Haskins has all of that. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

It comes down to how fast a QB is processing what he is seeing. If they are slow at it their entire concentration is on watching their target. The good ones are processing info in their brain so fast that a subtle head fake or pump fake is easy to them. And they also understand what is happening all over the field which gives them the ability to look off a safety. Haskins has all of that. 

Good stuff. One of my favorites that we don't see work as much (nor tried) is the pump fake by the scrambling QB well over the LOS, getting LBs to jump in the air.

Aggressive young ball hawk safeties seem ripe for the pump on the decoy cross over the top fly or go.

Also, the pump fake can slow down the rush, by at least getting a DL to consider jumping. Or at worst, throw off their plan to go to bat once engaged and progress slowed.

• OK, enough attendance. Let's talk BALL. The most common sight on Tuesday, sadly, was guys in yellow jerseys (otherwise known as quarterbacks) running away from guys in red jerseys (otherwise known as defenders) because the large guys in white jerseys (otherwise known as offensive linemen) were overmatched constantly. The Dwayne Haskins vs. Case Keenum battle will be hard to evaluate if this keeps up. Related to that: It's pretty obvious why Ereck
  • Flowers will, when everyone's back in the fold, be lining up at guard. He's a disaster at left tackle.
  •  
  • Keenum did seem like he was better able to handle the pressure, though, which you'd expect out of a longtime signal caller. They both would've been sacked numerous times if this was a Sunday, but Keenum was superior Tuesday when it came to snapping his head and finding his outlet. When Haskins' first read is there, he outshines Keenum. But the past few times the media has been able to watch the 'Skins get after it, Keenum has looked calmer when things get messy, which has been happening often.
  •  
  • The throw of the day belonged to... Josh Woodrum. Just kidding, it belonged to Case Keenum. Late in 11-on-11s, No. 8 connected on a bomb to Cam Sims, who was sprinting down the right-center of the field and made the grab a step ahead of a helping Landon Collins. Sims scored on the play and it was encouraging to see Keenum hit on a really deep attempt like that one.
  •  
  • ...The grass on the field was green, there were goalposts on both sides and Sims caught a ton of passes. The first two things are locks and the third thing has been a lock so far this offseason. He's not the most polished route runner but the second-year pro has shown a knack for making himself available no matter who's looking his way. "He's got a great skill set for that Z position, which we're always looking for," Kevin O'Connell said of Sims afterward.
  • Sims didn't win every matchup, though. Keenum went to him on one in-breaking route and put it up high, but Norman went up higher for the contested interception. It was an impressive pick, and after, Norman got a fist bump from Gruden and put Sims in a quick headlock as well.
  • Jimmy Moreland, the hero of last week's OTAs, didn't record an INT in this two-hour get-together. He'll probably rack up four on Wednesday.
  •  
  • "Outstanding" is a word that both Gruden and O'Connell used to describe Terry McLaurin while each coach was at the podium. The rookie's explosiveness, competitiveness and versatility have all been quite evident since his arrival.
  •  
  • The offensive assistants all chatted with the media and Ike Hilliard had a lot to say about his receivers. The most interesting quote was about Trey Quinn: "Who cares about where he was drafted, when he was drafted, where he came from? Trey Quinn is a good football player, and I think with Crowder not being here now, he's going to walk up to the front of the class and let everybody know he belongs in the National Football League."
  •  
  • Lastly, Haskins had a chance to run a two-minute drill at the end of the session and he experienced a little bit of everything. As far as getting guys to the line with the clock running, the operation was smooth. But at one point, he took off on a run when the offense was out of imaginary timeouts, which obviously isn't ideal. O'Connell mentioned how those are the types of details he'll be sure to circle back to with the young QB, but he's pleased with how Haskins has "been pretty good about not making the same mistake twice."
  •  
  • https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/veteran-minicamp-notes-qbs-face-constant-pressure-and-most-key-players-return-redskins

Few seem to  beat the drums to play a young QB as often as I do.  But a big part of me doing that, is under the assumption that his team has a bookend tackle.  You secure your tackle, and then get your QB. Trent getting older is another reason I want  Haskins in there now. And early in the year when presumed Trent (and the OL) is healthiest.

If Trent sits all year.... yikes. Its going to be ugly no matter who is in there. What we are hearing in practice will be what happens in games.... or worst with hitting involved. Maybe the best thing is to tank and take an LT next year when everyone else is chasing QB tail. 

Tank... Flowers at LT.  Case/Colt/Josh at QB. Perine is our hands back. Quinn is our goal line back. Sims in the slot, Stonehands Floyd out wide. Sprinkle is our hands TE, Reed is our blocking TE. That out to do it.

8 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Awesome to see the skins could go deep more on 1st and 2nd downs!

The best stretch our offense had, was when Jay went opposite, and passed when the NFL says you run, and ran when the NFL said we should have passed.   Cousins and Reed went on a tear to get us into the playoffs....

Only to see Jay go back to his old run run short pass predictable playbook. DJax didn't score, we predictably ran it up the gut into the heart of the GB D and got stuffed like a thanksgiving turkey, Rodgers and GB went hurry up on Knighton, and the rest was history on that cold windy January day at Raljon.

Jay never did it before that 2 months, and not since.  Hopefully the newb changes it up this year but he will need pass pro, oh and WRs. Reed had 11 TDs that year, including 5 in 3 games during that monster run.

Just got around to reading this article. Dilfer’s comparison for Haskins definitely stands out. He worked with Dwayne, Tua, Fromm, Trevor Lawrence, etc. in his annual Elite 11 competition. 

None of us can tell now which team will be right.

“Trevor checks every box, Tua checks every box, Jake checks most,” Dilfer says. “Kyler, I thought he’d go to baseball, but he checks all the boxes. I thought Dwayne should’ve waited, but he’s the most like Tom Brady of anyone we’ve had. He sees it like Tom, he works at it, he plays that way. He plays on time, with his intellectual process. I don’t want to compare anyone to Brady, but he’s Tom Brady-ish.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/08/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-2020-tua-tagovailoa-demarcus-lawrence-josh-rosen

Brady???.... winner winner chicken dinner!!!!  Let's just pretend he is in that class intellectually - would that mean sitting or playing is best.  I wonder what Tom Brady thinks about it - was sitting his first year clearly without a doubt best for him. A truly great mind doesn't need the same amount of time to digest life in the NFL, vs lets say a rather dim witted slack jawed yokel. A great mind is best pushed to the limits, but the mind and body have to work in concert to get the ball in the spot on time.  I feel like the timing with receivers, the precision, is where he will have struggles in year 1... call it accuracy. Alex looked like he had accuracy issues a lot last year, but suspect he was throwing balls away avoiding tight windows.

I have to admit I am burned out on Jay's play calling. I just don't see curve balls being thrown at defenses nearly often enough.  Based on a consistent lack of creativity and unpredictability, I'd wager he is one of easier play callers for DC to game plan against. The fact he gets things done, however is a credit to his consistent ability to get guys open, but his offenses just don't have that top gear to hang in modern uber offensive games we see now.  He would rather slow the game down, and take a more methodical approach.

I am excited to see what #KOC will do. While saying he wants to throw on first down in June is promising, we heard throughout decades of bend don't break that our shiny new DC was going to be aggressive attack QBs and force turnovers.  It never happened. Instead we gave up 9 yards on first down, and 99 yard drives over and over. We must have set some sort of futility record for a while there.

Make it happen

b735qtrltkesndtmilqe.jpg

8 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Just got around to reading this article. Dilfer’s comparison for Haskins definitely stands out. He worked with Dwayne, Tua, Fromm, Trevor Lawrence, etc. in his annual Elite 11 competition. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/08/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-2020-tua-tagovailoa-demarcus-lawrence-josh-rosen

I recall reading that back then. Nice praise on multiple QBs including Haskins.  Dilfer saying Tua is the best QB prospect he's ever evaluated -- wow.  I love Tua but not sure I'd go that far.

So Tom Brady sat his first year behind Bledsoe (of course), but when he came in for a hurt Bledsoe in 2001, the starting o-line seems to have been just average.  Some solid journeyman at Guard, a RT who was out of the league once his rookie contract was up, and two above average players in rookie LT Matt Light and C Damien Woody.

That doesn't seem wildly different from us if Trent disappears.

One OT, Moses who is above average.  A really good RG. A solid Center.  Rookie LG who, for the sake of this, we'll say is solid.  Then we have the weakness, LT with Geron Christian?  That mirrors the 2001 weakness, their RT.

The supposed difference in RT and LT doesn't matter when every elite Edge player is lined up over the RT.

Archived