Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

No surprise the least injured OL in the league last year was the Rams’. Goff would have looked like a completely different QB last year (closer to what he looked like against the Bears, Lions, and Patriots) if he had to deal with the OL carousel that we did last year, and likely will again this year. We don’t need all-pros on the line, we just need guys who can stay healthy. 

This surely won't go unnoticed by the fan bases if one of the quarterbacks is great and the other flops. If both are good, the arguments will undoubtedly go back and forth for years about who is better. It's what rivalries and sports are built upon. The same as Giants and Cowboys fans will debate Saquon Barkleyversus Ezekiel Elliott, there will be Giants and Redskins fans doing the same for Jones and Haskins.

Both rookie quarterbacks met through the pre-draft process. Jones called Haskins a "good guy" and wished him the best with the Redskins before slugging a home run during Saturday's softball game. But he doesn't really see it as a rivalry that will elevate the Giants-Redskins matchup.

"I think the Giants-Redskins rivalry has been kind of a classic," Jones said. "So I don't really see it that way."

Haskins might feel a little differently. He wasn't at Collins' softball game even though he was listed as a potential participant who would have been teammates with Jones. Haskins was in Maryland tending to a family matter.

But Haskins' comments during the draft indicated he was going to use the Giants passing on him and selecting Jones as fuel. Haskins was shown on television chuckling as the selection of Jones was announced.

"To be honest, I'm more motivated now than ever," Haskins told ESPN immediately after he was drafted by the Redskins. "There is a bigger chip on my shoulder. The league done messed up."

The Giants are likely one of many NFL teams Haskins was referring to with his post-draft comments. The Cardinals also drafted a quarterback ahead of Haskins.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/59079/giants-redskins-rivalry-about-to-get-heated-its-going-to-be-crazy

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I heard that Haskins is taking a couple weeks off in Paris before training camp. Can you say BUST? It’s clear he doesn’t care enough about football.

:P 

I know this was a joke, haha.  But just to clear things up:

I'm really interested to see what kind of leap his command of the offense takes from OTA's to training camp. Progress isn't linear, it's more based on thresholds and hopefully he will use these weeks in between to internalize the playbook and reach that next major mental threshold.

19 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Dwayne may very well spend his first year watching/learning Jay's playbook and have it burned at the end of year.  Our shiny new OCKOC may become our head coach in the spirit of Sean McVay, or he may well be gone, too. 

Is that likely coaching and playbook carousel what is best for his development?  

I need stats on bust rates of QBs that were forced to learn a new playbook X years in a row.

Whats often tough, that is never discussed, is the pace at which different WRs get to a spot - having a Beasely is underrated, but becoming less so. Even Rodgers can hit a perfectly covered Nelson with more regularity than he could hit an open WR who hits his windows with greater variance. After protecting DH, I’d be serious about getting him the guy who is a legit threat & will run a million routes with him in the offseason. 

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Any indication if Keenum and Haskins were still running for their lives today?

The troubling thing is, these QBs have made about half of their completions after they’d have been hit in a real game. There, obviously, isn’t real pressure in this setting. Running for your life when you can’t be hit is one thing, running for your life v the Bears is quite another. 

How many QBs must suffer before we take this problem seriously. #QBstrong 

34 minutes ago, volsmet said:

After protecting DH, I’d be serious about getting him the guy who is a legit threat & will run a million routes with him in the offseason. 

Next offseason is going to be all about putting some more weapons around Haskins and adding to the O'Line (whatever happens with Trent). 

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I heard that Haskins is taking a couple weeks off in Paris before training camp. Can you say BUST? It’s clear he doesn’t care enough about football.

:P 

Ya I'd rather have gone ol than Haskins at 15 too.

OK so Jay gave Haskins a lot of new concepts.  I endorse this, just to see what he figured out and how quickly, in case he is an ace. That is the only thing I want to know coming out of OTAs.   I presumed he struggled to digest everything fully of course. I feel like a lurking reporter should be able to get some more info from chatty Jay. Did DH get the full playbook, 10%, 2 completely foreign concepts, ALL new terminology, what is it?  Find out.

I wonder if learning a full playbook feet to fire is SOP and considered the best way to develop a QB.  Certainly, playing them feet to the fire is frowned upon and gets a lot of folks Norvous that it increases bust probability.  So, what about that mega playbook jammed into a 22 year old mind?  My theory of course is that the playbook is a much bigger factor than we know.

Something obvious in the traditional QB development plan is failing teams, and I remain steadfast that the biggest concern isn't playing too soon as often as people blame that.  There aren't helluva lot of other things it can be. Every single OC "knows" their system will work, but many will be wrong. These are the people developing QBs.

If camp reconvenes and Dwayne still struggles with concepts whatevs, then what.  Hold firm that he learns, or ?

51 minutes ago, volsmet said:

These guys do good work, they rank the Skins line 24th in the nfl, with Trent. Fortunately we get to play Miami & Buffalo ... Miami may put a few of our DL in the pro bowl

Having hit on the injury bug that clearly had a large part in Washington’s below average 2018,

I believe looking forward that the pure talent they have from their big men can translate into a top-15 or top-10 unit. 

You pretty conveniently seemed to leave this part of the article out of your summation.

This ranking is based off of last years unit that was decimated by injuries.

19 minutes ago, redskinss said:

You pretty conveniently seemed to leave this part of the article out of your summation.

jck.gif

Posting on a site with people who would insinuate that I’ve, somehow, intentionally misrepresented an article - that I shared - in June - about offensive lines - to this audience - in an effort to smear the Skins - is nauseating. I suspect you’re not a profiler, naive odalisque. 

6 hours ago, MartinC said:

Next offseason is going to be all about putting some more weapons around Haskins and adding to the O'Line (whatever happens with Trent). 

Thats how I see it too, based on how the draft could shape up we could be looking at a legit WR prospect and new tackle. 

7 hours ago, volsmet said:

Posting on a site with people who would insinuate that I’ve, somehow, intentionally misrepresented an article - that I shared - in June - about offensive lines - to this audience - in an effort to smear the Skins - is nauseating. I suspect you’re not a profiler, naive odalisque

It sure came off that way in your post. 

By only mentioning that they ranked us 24th and adding that it also included trent which wasn't specifically brought up in the article it sounded like you were referencing that their opinion of our line was worse than it is.

But whatever I'm not gonna get into an argument with you, your post certainly came off that way to me.

Archived