Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I wouldn’t be in this position because Trent would have been gone a year ago & I’d have Ty, but as we sit deeply entrenched in incompetence, I’d start ... Case Keenum & send letters of apology to his family for what they’re about to witness. 

More seriously, I suppose, I’d certainly pick up Desmond Harrison & see if we can get anything out of that raw talent, but I haven’t seen enough of the others to make a determination... I’d probably just ask our DEs who they’d start. Typically the best scout is the opposition, I’d not make it particularly complicated. 

I do think Catalina stands out on the lame duck list, for at least he knows the playbook. 

I do like your idea of asking the OLB/DEs for their input.  I think a trade / swap of LTs sacrificing mobility and athleticism, for durability and power, and run the damn ball - seems a wise move about now, especially since Trent is still injured.  KOCs new wrinkles aside, running the ball and controlling the clock seems like early keys to victory to me.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Just a PSA that Gruden would probably get crucified for doing this, complaining about how "soft" he is:

Not if he won a SB first. (And for your information Jay has actually cancelled the last minicamp practice every single year he's been here until this season. And I think they went bowling one of those years)

33 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not if he won a SB first. (And for your information Jay has actually cancelled the last minicamp practice every single year he's been here until this season. And I think they went bowling one of those years)

I’m aware. I’m also aware of people complaining when it happens. 

Man... I'm pretty happy with what I've seen of Haskins so far. It's obviously still super early, but he's working hard, coming early and staying late, keeping his head down, quizzing the veteran db's about his mistakes and how to improve, just one of the guys already, and he's really learning and making progress.

I expect him to be slow and choppy with his reads and progressions right now. I expect him to have trouble with pressure. I always knew that was going to be the case and instead it was a question of how does he respond and adapt to that adversity? And so far so good.

27 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Man... I'm pretty happy with what I've seen of Haskins so far. It's obviously still super early, but he's working hard, coming early and staying late, keeping his head down, quizzing the veteran db's about his mistakes and how to improve, just one of the guys already, and he's really learning and making progress.

I expect him to be slow and choppy with his reads and progressions right now. I expect him to have trouble with pressure. I always knew that was going to be the case and instead it was a question of how does he respond and adapt to that adversity? And so far so good.

Bingo! It's not what does he do, it's what does he do with it. 

I don't think anyone wants to see Haskins get trounced, including his fellow players, and it is in Keenum's best interests to get a chance to show what he can do for his next team. The O line is looking seriously iffy at this point, just load up and run it down their throats, take those castoff tackles and give 'em TE numbers, let them get a running start and hit somebody to open a hole for AP. 

I really hate to even hear people talk about tankin though....................

I've heard now a couple of beat guys say that they expect both Haskins and Keenum to be more aggressive than the QBs last year.  One of the reporters on Sheehan's podcast said they were told by Landon Collins that they would crowd the line of  scrimmage last year against the Redskins because they knew the QBs were reluctant to go deep. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/06/06/with-josh-norman-practice-redskins-minicamp-turns-up-intensity/?utm_term=.fc1a85a79919

By then he had heard plenty about the team’s new quarterback of the future, Dwayne Haskins, and he thought it was time to challenge the Redskins’ top draft pick. So Thursday, not long before the final minicamp practice ended, he asked to be placed on the field on a goal-line drill when Haskins was quarterbacking.

The result was a pass play on which Norman jumped in front of a receiver to attempt an interception. And while he might have slipped out of bounds, a message was delivered.

“He didn’t say nothing to me, but a couple plays later, as we went back to the next team, he was like, ‘Yeah you got me, [but] that’s okay because I’m gong to come back with you next time,’” Norman later said.

Norman seemed to like this. He always has looked around for a fight on the field. Haskins’ offering one made him happy.

“He has no fear,” Norman said.

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

We don't have a general offseason tweet thread anymore, so I'll post this here lol...

Chad Dukes who loves goofing on Russell, has gone to town on that Jay skit on and off all afternoon. 

• It's a rule that if you write about a Redskins practice, you can't go past the fourth bullet point without giving an update on the quarterbacks. Thursday was more of the same, with Case Keenum continuing to run a more polished offense while Dwayne Haskins struggled with inaccuracy and, for the first time with the media around, interceptions. Keenum has shown really sweet touch on some 10- and 20-yard throws, including one to Brian Quick for six.

• Haskins had back-to-back turnovers down near the goal line during team work, with one resulting more because of a standout defensive effort and the other falling mostly on him. First, he connected with Cam Sims on a quick out route, who made the catch and turned to try and get into the end zone. But Jimmy Moreland, who had been a bit quieter this week than he was during OTAs, just ripped the ball from No. 89, turning a TD into an INT. It was a terrific job by the seventh-round rookie, and after, Gruden noted that it was the fifth pass that Moreland has pilfered since arriving. It was probably the top highlight of the afternoon.   

• Haskins' next giveaway, however, was fully his mistake. Josh Norman — who explained after practice how he's been yearning for the chance to square off with the popular passer — was lined up on the right side and the 15th overall pick decided to challenge him. It didn't end well for the youngster. Norman jumped the route and pulled in an aggressive interception. There was some debate as to whether Norman was in bounds when he got his hands on the pass, but the DB let the refs handle that while he sprinted allllllllllll the way the other way for a touchdown. Gruden came over and slyly convinced one official to drop a flag, making a confusing situation even more muddled. But regardless of the final ruling, Norman absolutely won the matchup. 

• At one point, an incomplete pass bounced through the end zone and into some high grass behind it. So, who ended up retrieving it? Rob Ryan, who announced, "I'll get it!" and then hustled over to recover the lost ball. Hopefully Ryan coaches here for eternity, and then another eternity after that.

Listening to Russell who has been to camp.  Granted the dude is no expert.  His take is the receivers look much better than advertised.  The D line is even better than advertised.  He thinks Haskins looks raw and he doubts he's the guy to start the season.   He says he looks like he moves better than people think he can.  But when he throws on the move he's inaccurate.   For me personally, I'd take that if it's so.  As for Haskins, I don't care if he's ready to start the season.  I think it would serve him to wait.  I am not in love with our receiving corp but McLaurin and Harmon were two of my favorite receivers in the draft among the 2nd tier group. 

And I am intrigued by Sims.  The only negative thing I've heard from beat guys about Sims is that he's not really a polished route runner and can run the wrong routes. They said when they asked Sims about what routes he likes to run he more or less shrugged and said he just likes to get past the receiver and get the ball.  McLaurin is described as somewhat polished for a rookie and a cerebral receiver early on.  He seemed to be the dude that Jay gushed the most about in his press conference.   But I think the Sims, McLaurin, Harmon corp is at least intriguing.  Not sure any of them are #1 type material but one or more of them might emerge as a legitimate #2 type receiver. 

Wentz just got a huge extension worth $32 million per. Dak’s up next.  We need to capitalize on the window we have once Smith’s contract is off the books. Does anyone have detail on the insurance we took out on Smith that may allow us to move on next year?

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Wentz just got a huge extension worth $32 million per. Dak’s up next.  We need to capitalize on the window we have once Smith’s contract is off the books. Does anyone have detail on the insurance we took out on Smith that may allow us to move on next year?

On 3/27/2018 at 3:42 PM, volsmet said:

We'd have a far better chance to win a SB in the next 10 years. Making one asinine move isnt reason not to make the moves I suggest. Its nice to play 16 close games, but we aren't contenders and every move we make that isnt made with a SB title in mind is asinine. We may be delusional, but we are certainly not SB contenders.

I understand your point & Im sure it will feel nice to be pretty good for the next couple years. A feeling we cant seem to get enough of. We are never uncomfortable to play & thats not going to change unless we go in another direction. 

Its really not close, moving Trent is the smart move. We wont win anything with him. We have a competent replacement. We are wasting opportunities to take a significant step towards building something that can win something meaningful. Imo.

When we win nothing, everyone will agree that we missed a huge opportunity by chasing mediocrity. Wentz/Dak getting paid while we are setting ourselves up with young elite talent is precisely what we should be doing. The desperation for tackles is unbelievable.

I thought Jones would run better, he and Ballage are guys I like, but Ballage is my preference when it comes to pac-12 RBs.

Agree with Httr.

There is zero need for him or the organization to establish a QB depth chart right now in early June. The Redskins will have about six weeks off before the team reconvenes in Richmond for training camp, and that's when the competition goes from collegial to fierce. 

Still, during three days of mandatory minicamp, a few things became apparent. 

Rookie Dwayne Haskins has the highest ceiling of the Redskins current quarterbacks. He's flashed a rocket arm and a delicate touch on seemingly consecutive throws, but as things progressed in the sessions, he wasn't the best passer at practice. Case Keenum showed a greater command of the huddle and line of scrimmage, and an ability to handle the speed of the NFL pass rush better than the rookie.

It's also premature to determine too much from three days of performances in June, as the team has been working with a patchwork offensive line and little positional clarity.  

"We're not even thinking about that right now, to be honest with you. We're giving them equal reps," Gruden said of Haskins and Keenum.

"We don’t really have a one's or a two's right now. We're switching in the receivers, subbing them in. Doesn't matter who's out there for tight ends. You know, I think we'll start to get some true first-team reps when we have a first-team on offense. Right now we really don't. We'll start to do that once training camp hits."

When training camp hits, that's when things will get interesting. Haskins is crazy smart and seems like the type to use the next six weeks to learn more of the playbook and protection schemes. Keenum is still learning Gruden's system too. And don't forget Colt McCoy, the only incumbent QB on the roster that missed minicamp with a leg injury. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/depth-chart-emerging-quarterback-even-if-jay-gruden-wont-say-it

8 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Whose our competent replacement im highly curious?

On 3/27/2018

giphy.gif

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

and a delicate touch on seemingly consecutive throws

Well said. 

1 minute ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Yeah, but you agreed 10 hrs ago lol but im being facetious...don't mind me

I highlighted the portion of the quote that was in agreement with a statement made by the human I quoted. I don’t mind anything, it’s entertaining interacting with the kind & gentle folks of the ES community.

Obviously we had a competent tackle named Ty & should have traded Trent last year. 

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If we traded Trent, I am sure Dan and Bruce would have feared a fan revolt. Of course, we basically revolted anyways.

Eh, some of the fanbase has been revolting for years, this isn't news........

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

If we traded Trent, I am sure Dan and Bruce would have feared a fan revolt. Of course, we basically revolted anyways.

I don’t think enough people care any longer for there to be a revolt. We used to be considered the best fan base in the game, now we are considered the most apathetic.

*As others have noted, up the biggest take away is Haskins playing poorly and still having the confidence to run his mouth and challenge Josh Norman... he’s got the mindset, he believes in himself, that’s something that is often lost in this transition & requires a process of redevelopment. Hopefully DH keeps his and fights through struggles he is unaccustomed to. It gets more difficult to trust your gifts when you’re getting ripped for poor performances, DH going right at Norman is a good sign, Josh’s mouth would intimidate a lot of young prospects who were struggling & in a new setting. 

Archived