Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

--My thoughts on Dwayne Haskins after two full-team practices: He's not ready yet, but he's got a lot of potential. One thing that stands out is how much time it takes Haskins to fully read his receiving options as he scans the field. It's not the fluid moment you expect to see from an NFL quarterback.

But when he makes his decision, and when he lets it rip, he's had some really, really good throws. Making him the Week 1 starter would be a mistake, but he's going to be fun to keep an eye on in the preseason.

• For the third straight session open to the media, Case Keenum put together the more complete performance of the passers. He's very vocal with his snap counts and in getting guys organized, perhaps growing more confident each day he's in this offense. In fact, at one point in a 7-on-7, he called out to Vernon Davis, had him shift to the other side of the ball, then rifled a pass to him. He wasn't perfect, and Dwayne Haskins had his usual few WHOA moments, but Keenum has been more consistent and, as of now, looks like the better option at starter. Yet here's a necessary reminder: It's still just June.

• Cam Sims has been sticking out among the pass catchers so far this offseason, but Wednesday was Davis' day. The tight end had no problem finding open spaces when he was on the field.

• As stated, Keenum had the more even effort, but as he tends to do, Haskins delivered the top highlight. No. 7 is working to adjust to the pressure he's facing and overthrew more than a few targets on Wednesday, but he was money in the two-minute drill that wrapped up the proceedings. First, he picked out Kelvin Harmon near the sideline and barely fit a 20-ish yard pass in to the rookie. Then, he finished the drive off with a wild touchdown to Terry McLaurin that looked like a Madden glitch. McLaurin was totally covered by a defensive back, but he reached around the cornerback and somehow got two hands on the ball for the score. It's almost like Haskins and McLaurin have some sort of special level of understanding with one another...........
  • https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/veteran-minicamp-notes-day-2-case-keenum-steadily-improving-dwayne-haskins-finishes-strong

I am not discouraged about Haskins taking a long time to scan the field. I fully expect that. I am curious, how many guys were running patterns, did Jay ask him to take his time, and take it all in, etc.  Has anyone found out the play calls he is learning, are they all foreign concepts to him, or are we running the same route trees as OSU.... what about terminology..... these are the FIRST hurdles a young QBs can face....  if anyone has seen anything about what he is learning WRT what he already knew, please share!

Thinking out loud / spitballing thoughts...... Trent one foot out the door is really making tanking looking more enticing to me. At first thought, Trent out made me hesitant to play Haskins early as I had preferred. But getting him into lots of games affords us to grade his progress, proper. If he is not good enough to play at all in a virtual tank year sans Trent, maybe we would be wise to consider taking another QB exactly like Arizona did.  Wildcard, Trent gone coupled with poor Jay yesterday not in the know at the presser, saying its financial/wants him back... I think we are looking at a new coach next year.  Things won't necessarily be a cakewalk for Dwayne next year, unless KOC becomes our next coach.   Arizona got a new coach, and QB. It's not unheard of.

I saw Rosen is struggling early on in Miami. I would be willing to bet he is learning an entirely new playbook.  Struggles for a young QB is not always about playing too soon. It is also what they are forced to digest in that short time.  The carousel of playbooks starts for yet another top rated QB... I think Dwayne may not be far behind.

Listened to Sheehan's podcast.  He had three different reporters on.  All three didn't think Haskins starts game 1.  They think Dan is wary of repeating past mistakes and will be hands off on his development -- though Keim wondered if that would hold if they get off to a poor start to the season with Keenum at the helm.

Phillips said that their plays in practice seem more inventive than in previous camps.  And they have Keenum more so than Haskins running the more inventive stuff.  He refused to elaborate as to what he means by that because he said the team would be upset if he gives away details like that.

Very happy to hear that Keenum is standing out as the clear cut #1. I've been fully on board with redshirting Haskins and now, given the recent TW news, I definitely don't want to throw this kid to the wolves. Weak WR corp + average-at-best OL (assuming TW sits or is shipped) = less than ideal rookie QB situation. I never liked the thought of trading for Rosen, but he was dealt this exact situation last year and it was ****ing ugly. Let Haskins sponge up his rookie year then next offseason we'll sure up some of our offensive weaknesses and give him an honest look. 

None of this is really surprising and sort of confirms what many people guessed would be issues for Haskins before and after we drafted him. He hasn't had to face much pressure before and has reportedly been struggling with it quite a bit. He was also a 1 year starter so with moving straight to the NFL level after that limited experience it also isn't surprising that he's reportedly sometimes slow going through his reads after his first. He's also had plenty of "wow" moments apparently, which goes along with the kind of arm talent he has.

At this point I'd be very surprised if Haskins won the starting job. I think it will be Keenum this year. What would be interesting is if Keenum really stinks the joint up, what will Gruden do? Say "**** it" and throw Haskins out there, or give McCoy a shot if he's healthy? I suppose it will depend on how Haskins has improved at that point. 

22 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Love to hear that their implementing pick plays and rub routes or whatever. Colts killed us with that last year.

Glory halla...breadlouyah... its long overdue we started doing all the dirty effective things other teams have been doing for a decade.  The key to a good pick play, let your smaller players set the pick, as they look like innocent victims. I won't hold my breath for hurry up again this year.

Skipping passes.... someones been studying Donovan McNubb too much.

It will be interesting to see if Rosen is damaged goods. Even if he is, we won't know the cause - likely a multitude of reasons. He wasn't good enough, playbook was horrible for him, no supporting cast, too many playbooks at age X... it seems the default answer is always... he played too soon.

21 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Haskins requires more creative drills, like volunteering to spend the summer in a Venezuelan prison, that may prepare him for life behind Catalina. 

Who would you start today at LT, Catalina, Christian, Flowers, Wallace, Parris, the Ghost of Trent, or.... ok lets throw in Scherff, oh and Hance to the face.

I think I go Catalina every day till Sunday, or whatever that stoopid non football expression is.

https://www.redskins.com/team/players-roster/

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Who would you start today at LT, Catalina, Christian, Flowers, Wallace, Parris, the Ghost of Trent, or.... ok lets throw in Scherff.

I think I go Catalina every day till Sunday, or whatever that stoopid non football expression is.

Chip Em

I wouldn’t be in this position because Trent would have been gone a year ago & I’d have Ty, but as we sit deeply entrenched in incompetence, I’d start ... Case Keenum & send letters of apology to his family for what they’re about to witness. 

More seriously, I suppose, I’d certainly pick up Desmond Harrison & see if we can get anything out of that raw talent, but I haven’t seen enough of the others to make a determination... I’d probably just ask our DEs who they’d start. Typically the best scout is the opposition, I’d not make it particularly complicated. 

Archived