Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I definitely agree once you put him in, leave him in. Let him get his lumps and learn. 

A lot of QB’s have been crushed doing this, were they all guys every “expert” missed on, or is there a better way to bring kids from college to the NFL at the position. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

A lot of QB’s have been crushed doing this, were they all guys every “expert” missed on, or is there a better way to bring kids from college to the NFL at the position. 

You may have skipped the first part where I said don't put him unless he is ready. I agree, putting him just because he is the first rd pick can be the worst thing for him.

But I do believe that in general once you determine he is ready, let him stay. Of course there are always situations. If he is getting completely destroyed and it's destroying his confidence then you sit him a game or a half or a few plays. 

My major point in the first response - even if I did not make it very well - is there is no single right path. Each guy is different. It's up to coaching staff to bring him along in the way it's best for him. Sit him, play him, play him then sit him - what ever is best for him and the team long term. 

We have all seen good QBs subbed out for wildcat. Sure wildcat has kind of come and gone, but switching QBs doesn't have to be THE plan for every game. In fact, don't even game plan for it. If your QB is sucking up the joint, try the backup for a series. 

It's basically a foreign concept, though.  Just like a coach stubbornly sticks to his game plan in the face of it being blown up for all to see, he sticks with his QB.

I think every single fan here has wanted to see the backup QB get a series / some reps at one point or another, without it being a permanent switch.

To me, the "flavor of the drive" approach is the worst suggestion yet. If it worked, someone would have made it stick in the past 50 years. Instead, it completely destroys any progress the offense as a whole gains when they get into a rhythm, and it teaches the QBs to play scared. Scared to make any dangerous plays whatsoever that could end in them getting benched.

IXTIeql.jpg

23 hours ago, NickyJ said:

To me, the "flavor of the drive" approach is the worst suggestion yet. If it worked, someone would have made it stick in the past 50 years. Instead, it completely destroys any progress the offense as a whole gains when they get into a rhythm, and it teaches the QBs to play scared. Scared to make any dangerous plays whatsoever that could end in them getting benched.

Thats exactly right... football and especially QB play is hugely dependent on rhythm. Switching QBs will kill any level of rhythm on Offense as a whole. I dont think anyone is arguing that if Haskins is not ready dont start him, but once you start him (because O coaches believe he has full ability to lead the O and knows the playbook) leave him in and let him get his lumps. 

42 minutes ago, volsmet said:

You dont really know the reason a guy fizzled out as a qb of the NFL. Its not like every highly drafted college QB has what it takes to be a good NFL QB. It obviously doesn't help to start for a team that has terrible oline and coaching, but  NFL is designed to mostly have talent parity between teams.

1. some guys have the physical tools, but not the mental

2. some have mental but lack physical tools

3. some have both - and these players should be able to succeed no matter what. If they haven't, then they probably fall in to 1 or 2 above.

Are any of the major college programs actively switching out QBs?   It just seems like a waste to only play 1 guy for 4 straight years, solely because he is 1% better than the backup.   I no longer hold what happens in the pros as the sacred bible of how things should be done. Concepts from college are infiltrating the pros more and more each year. QBs getting wrecked by dumbass stubborn OCs for decades has opened my eyes, by (all of us) witnessing first hand the era of young QBs now being allowed to run plays to their strengths.

Is a consistent offensive lineup, what wins games offensively?  We sure see lots of subs on offense, which slows down the game and kills rhythm.  A consistent 11 makes no provision for the inevitable injuries. I think an OC using his QB to his strengths > the same 11 personnel for every snap.

I feel like deception, and doing the unexpected, deserve a seat at the table somewhere in the 'how offenses win' discussion. Being unorthodox, and unpredictable. A TE throwing a pass to a QB.... doesn't have to be reserved for 1 play a year. Yet if you said Burton was going to be a QB, and Foles a WR, old school NFLers head would explode.

I'll say it again, if the plan is to shelve Haskins all year, I still want him to be on the field for the occasional curve ball at the D, and to include him in the game plan.

I hate the discussion on his mobility. Tom Brady, Ben  Roethlishberger, Eli Manning and Payton Manning. These are the current QBs who gone to and won multiple SuperBowls. 

Don’t need Vick, Russel Wilson or Aaron Rodgers. Just need him to have spatial awareness and move in the pocket.

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

Same way Mhomes threw a bunch of pics his first year and looked like the best player in the game the 2nd year.

Ummm.....? LOL might want to go back and look at the stats 😂😂😂 “a bunch of picks his first year” well, his first year, he only started the final game of the season, and threw only 1 interception in that game. 1 interception isn’t “a bunch of picks”. 

I mean seriously? It’s not that difficult to look up this information 😂 

8 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ummm.....? LOL might want to go back and look at the stats 😂😂😂 “a bunch of picks his first year” well, his first year, he only started the final game of the season, and threw only 1 interception in that game. 1 interception isn’t “a bunch of picks”. 

I mean seriously? It’s not that difficult to look up this information 😂 

my bad.. i must have been thinking of someone else. how about Payton Manning

1 hour ago, dyst said:

I hate the discussion on his mobility. Tom Brady, Ben  Roethlishberger, Eli Manning and Payton Manning. These are the current QBs who gone to and won multiple SuperBowls.

Those QB's you mentioned were/are elite in the passing skills though.

Do we have to count on him to be that elite of an arm, to be a contender ?

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

You may have skipped the first part where I said don't put him unless he is ready. I agree, putting him just because he is the first rd pick can be the worst thing for him.

You have missed the point of the quote feature, I quoted the portion I was responding to. 

hC6BCCCB9

51 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Too much over thinking going on here. 

Haskins starts day one. Simple as that.

I agree on the over-thinking, but not on the answer/proposal.

Nobody knows when he will be ready. Jay may not have even decided in his mind.

I think the true answer is "Wait".

But this is a message board, and we don't wait. We demand to proclaim the answer far ahead of time ! ;)

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

To me, the "flavor of the drive" approach is the worst suggestion yet. If it worked, someone would have made it stick in the past 50 years.

InconsequentialHelplessEquestrian-max-1m

2 hours ago, oraphus said:

Same way Mhomes threw a bunch of pics his first year and looked like the best player in the game the 2nd year.

InconsequentialHelplessEquestrian-max-1m

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I agree on the over-thinking, but not on the answer/proposal.

Nobody knows when he will be ready. Jay may not have even decided in his mind.

I think the true answer is "Wait".

But this is a message board, and we don't wait. We demand to proclaim the answer far ahead of time ! ;)

Jays only chance of survival is to start Haskins. That's a no lose bet. He'll be great or Jay can use the rookie get out of jail free card. Dan and Bruce agree.

Haskins starts. 

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Are any of the major college programs actively switching out QBs?   It just seems like a waste to only play 1 guy for 4 straight years, solely because he is 1% better than the backup.   I no longer hold what happens in the pros as the sacred bible of how things should be done. Concepts from college are infiltrating the pros more and more each year. QBs getting wrecked by dumbass stubborn OCs for decades has opened my eyes, by (all of us) witnessing first hand the era of young QBs now being allowed to run plays to their strengths.

Jonestown wasn’t an accident, nor a one off. 

58 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Too much over thinking going on here. 

Haskins starts day one. Simple as that.

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Jays only chance of survival is to start Haskins. That's a no lose bet. He'll be great or Jay can use the rookie get out of jail free card. Dan and Bruce agree.

Haskins starts. 

According to Jay, there's no 'get out of jail free' card. It's playoffs or bust. ;)

Yes, I know he was joking an laughing about it. But doesn't it make you at least wonder if there's any truth to it ?

Because the way he answered, it was so quick, like he was ready for it, and had pondered about the scenario thoughtfully ahead of time.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

According to Jay, there's no 'get out of jail free' card. It's playoffs or bust. ;)

Yes, I know he was joking an laughing about it. But doesn't it make you at least wonder if there's any truth to it ?

Because the way he answered, it was so quick, like he was ready for it, and had pondered about the scenario thoughtfully ahead of time.

Jays loving life. He's happy.

33 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Those QB's you mentioned were/are elite in the passing skills though.

Do we have to count on him to be that elite of an arm, to be a contender ?

That’s not at all the point. The point is that the best QBs in the league in recent memory are not mobile. You don’t NEED to be mobile to be a good QB. 

22 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Jays loving life. He's happy.

He is.

I just don't believe that Jay or any coach views this as a "lost season", or would make any decision that would jeopardize our won-loss record.

I think the idea of a "lost season" is a mindset that for the most part is created by fans, as opposed to coaches.

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

You have missed the point of the quote feature, I quoted the portion I was responding to. 

You quoted me out of context by not including the rest.  Or you could have started with This is not directed at you.  

But it no worries.  Moving on. In the end we are both pretty much saying the same thing. 

Archived