Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time machine talk - What would you say to yourself?

Unbias

Remember back when you first became a Redskins fan. What emotions typically filled you? Was it pride, hope or just how happy you are.

Many of us joined at different times and had different experiences. Personally it was some time after the 87 Superbowl. It was definitely cherry picking a winner, but I was young and that's often the way things go. 

Anyway, to my question - If you had a chance to go back and time and talk to that version of yourself what would you say? Feel free to write a lot, maybe just a line or two or maybe a gif. I leave it entirely in your hands. 

First..i love this thread..thank you.

34 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I was a child so...

"Stop following all NFL football after 1991-1992 and you'll be juuuuuuust fine."

That's a bit of a stretch.

All NFL football?..even just this season a few games have had me saying thank God for football...especially last night's game.

Second..i was brought up a Redskins fan..my father has been one scince 63...I lived in.. Southern California and any time the Redskins played Monday night we went to the sports bar where you could throw your peanut shells on the floor, it was awesome I loved it, we were still in Southern California when they won the Superbowl in 87.. my father won a lot of money from a large Mason company he worked for.. we moved back to Idaho and they won the Superbowl in 92.. I won a lot of money in junior high...the wheels started falling off for the redskins and hello packers in 94..I mean I swapped out everything burgundy and gold for green and yellow..posters hats shirts everything...I'd go back and say dont go back to being a Redskins fan lol..not realy but I mean maybe I should have..I guees I'm more of a homer than I thought.. now don't confuse me as a band wagoneer because the one time I swapped to being a Packers fan and actually a Titans fan too I had an Eddie George Jersey lol..when they went from Oilers to titans in Nashville I fell in love with the titans lol other than those two teams I didnt sport any other teams gear..so from 94 to 2003..when my buddy introduced me to being able to watch your favorite team at a sports bar I told yall about, I was neutral in my fandom...maybe go back and say hey man just be a fan of the game..no favorite team just a fan of the game..but I wanted to and still continue to embarrass my self admiting to being a Redskins fan because..at one point they were a good team..and just maybe..MAAYYYBE they'll be relevant again and I've always been one with my roots..the Redskins have been in my roots scince a very young age...Hail!

Nothing.  At best I'd say what I already knew when I started, that it would take a while and treat it like a distraction from what you are going through in life.

Saying it will take longer then expected wont be true, the first full game I sat down and watched with my dad as part of me finally taking this fan thing seriously Chargers scrapped us 30-3.  2001 was such a weird year because we started 0-5 then won 5 straight.  I still dont know what's going to happen, I never did.

It's been bigger then wins and loses for me for a long time, I wouldnt want to change that.

When Gibbs came back, appreciate every second of it.

and maybe don't buy so much memorabilia, it's worthless now and I dont even want to hang most of it up. Like who the F Cares about an autographed Brian Orakpo Poster now??? Unless something is for a championship, dont buy it people! 

Also, I just look like a moron driving around with a Go SKNS Plate on my truck. 

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

That's a bit of a stretch.

All NFL football?..even just this season a few games have had me saying thank God for football...especially last night's game

It hasn't for me. This season has made me not want to watch any NFL at all. It's the straw that has finally broken the camel's back. It becomes even more depressing watching actual NFL teams rather than the Annandale Boys Club Raiders, which is what the 'Skins look like.

Probably nothing. Team was bad when I started watching them, even worse now so it’s not like high expectations were ever set. I think I became emotionally numb to the crappyness right after Taylor’s death. A certain joy in watching this team just vanished and it’s been all downhill since. The final death blow came with the rise and fall of RG3s rookie season. 

My feelings towards this team can now be summarized by Dyatlov’s reaction to the nuclear reactor meltdown from HBO’s Chernobyl.

469E408C-8DF0-4FB9-8771-C5650ACC2716.jpeg

4 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

It hasn't for me. This season has made me not want to watch any NFL at all. It's the straw that has finally broken the camel's back. It becomes even more depressing watching actual NFL teams rather than the Annandale Boys Club Raiders, which is what the 'Skins look like.

How has this season made ya not wanna be a football fan at all?..is it because the redskins are terrible like they have been scince 99?..if your not a football fan and haven't been one your whole life it's just not for you I guees... yes there has been some really ugly games with the officiating that has everybody  not wanting to watch football..but last night's game was one example of why I thank god for football

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

How has this season made ya not wanna be a football fan at all?..is it because the redskins are terrible like they have been scince 99?..if your not a football fan and haven't been one your whole life it's just not for you I guees... yes there has been some really ugly games with the officiating that has everybody  not wanting to watch football..but last night's game was one example of why I thank god for football

I just don't find the joy in it any longer. Like I said, this season is just the final straw. There is way too much that has ruined my enjoyment of it and how lousy the officiating has been would be a factor to me if the 'Skins were anything other than a little league football team LOL!

24 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I just don't find the joy in it any longer. Like I said, this season is just the final straw. There is way too much that has ruined my enjoyment of it and how lousy the officiating has been would be a factor to me if the 'Skins were anything other than a little league football team LOL!

To each there own

1 hour ago, Unbias said:

Remember back when you first became a Redskins fan. What emotions typically filled you? Was it pride, hope or just how happy you are.

Many of us joined at different times and had different experiences. Personally it was some time after the 87 Superbowl. It was definitely cherry picking a winner, but I was young and that's often the way things go. 

Anyway, to my question - If you had a chance to go back and time and talk to that version of yourself what would you say? Feel free to write a lot, maybe just a line or two or maybe a gif. I leave it entirely in your hands. 

I had casually followed the team for about 5 years. Really wasn't into sports that much.  Superbowl 17 is the first Superbowl I remember watching. Loved Superbowl 22 and realized I was  Skins fan after all. I was 19 then.

I wouldn't have said anything different to myself.

Some time in 1983, I was channel hopping and stumbled upon this strange American game that I had never seen before. It was like people were playing rugby while wearing motorcycle helmets. At first I thought it was some kind of joke or comedic parody, but soon realised that it was an actual, real sport.

I had no idea what was going on, but was quickly drawn to the team playing in red (my local soccer team also plays in red) and was cheering them on to win at the end. I never would have believed that it would turn into quite the obsession that it has and relegate my soccer team into a distant second.

If I could go back in time to that fateful day, and tell my younger self to cheer for the team that was playing in blue with the star on their helmets, then things would have been all so different. I'm happy with my choice though and would rather tell my younger self to invest in Microsoft.

I would never want to take back the memories I had after whipping the Bills in the Super Bowl, of my mom (rip) letting me skip school, go to work with her downtown and go to the parade.  She didn't have much money, but I would have never known it, given all the Zubaz gear she got me.

Or the memories of watching the 87 Super Bowl with my grandfather (rip) and him jumping out of his seat as Doug Williams entered the game, screaming "Here we go!" or him joining the sound of gunfire outside in PG County after they won.

However, my late grandfather saw this coming after the departure of Joe Gibbs and told me it was okay to move on and choose another franchise.  It's as if he knew Dan was coming and wanted to let me break free from what was about to come.  Unfortunately, I never took him up on that.

So I think I actually started following the Redskins shortly after Tecmo football came out in 1987. Just loved the team. The Clark/Sanders combo was awesome and they were great in real life. Loved Charles Mann. He was a beast and also liked being Darrell Green, who was like that game's Walter Payton on defense. Anyway, that's where I started following some of the players, then started following games. It was obviously pre-internet and I wasn't in the area, so unless the game was on TV I'd catch up on NFL Countdown or the paper. Super Tecmo Bowl only added to the fandom along with most video games after that. Such a nostalgic time and thinking back actually brings a smile to my face. 

Anyway, what would I say to myself? Maybe I'd just say something like "buckle up, it's going to be a rocky ride". Thinking back on the question if I could go back and talk to a pre-teen version of myself the advice probably wouldn't have been football related. Maybe I'd ask myself to care a bit less? Along with some genuinely great moments, there have also been a good share of let down.

I completely know my chances on selling a pre-teen version of my self to try out the Steve Grogan lead Pats would have come across just about as crazy as Doc Brown from Back to the Future:

giphy.gif

Came across the pond with my wife to be in 1981.  Didn't pay any attention to the game for a couple of years but started to take notice in '83.  As a transplanted Brit, I thought briefly about New "England" as a team to follow but I didn't like the uniform at all!  It was kinda decided for me when my wife (a Raiders Fan) got way too ****y about them going into Superbowl 18.  Now, I hadn't come here for an argument, but I had to take a contrary position, right?   Shoulda been a clue right there, but we're still married and I don' regret anything.

Archived