Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Honestly though...would fassel have been any better than Zorn? 

For real man?

One guy took a team to a SB, the other was a QB coach before failing miserably here.

No doubt Fassel would have bombed but maybe it would have taken 3 years lol.

It’s interesting that we still hear the “if snyder gets out of the way” stuff about future potential. 

No owner is going to do that. Not a billion dollar business. 

And we got fed that line or bs when shanahan came here, that “football people are making the decisions now”, and look how that ended up. 

The best thing for us is that no respectable coach or GM will take the job, and people continue to not watch and not go  

awful losing records, an empty stadium, and low TV ratings are the only way this eventually gets fixed. 

37 minutes ago, tshile said:

awful losing records, an empty stadium, and low TV ratings are the only way this eventually gets fixed. 

So you really think Doofus Dan is going to sell his free money machine just because nobody else likes the smell of the turd it produces?

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

So you really think Doofus Dan is going to sell his free money machine just because nobody else likes the smell of the turd it produces?

I don’t think he will do so willingly. 

But the nfl has an interest in tv ratings and attendance in one of the biggest markets in the country. 

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm not sure that's going to stay true.  Especially with the amount of "borrowing" from college is being done now.  This might be one of the trends that turns around in the next 4-6 years.  

Though I do think if you have a college HC, you need to have at least 1, if not both coordinators with significant NFL experience.  

Much like the rise of the Browns, I feel like that gets said every year.  Right now there are 16 teams with 2 wins or more, and every single one of them has a head coach who is an experienced NFL coach.  Not a single college guy among them.  Until just 1 or 2 start to break the mold, then it certainly would be beyond foolish to jump on a college guy and bank him to "be the first exception".

I have a serious point - whomever they get has to be able to work with Snyder. It's such an important piece. The only respectable coach was Gibbs. Shanahan is the example of someone who is also a strong personality that will lead to inevitable power struggle. 

I'm not saying Gruden is good, but we do have to give him some credit for getting the most out of a team he has very little control over. I do think he's had the players rally, but I also know he will never get us to the promised land. 

I got to say it each time I post, that the next coach isn't even close to top of my agenda.  I think its changing the drapes on a house that's falling apart.  But if I played along, one guy I want to say no to is Todd Bowles.  Only reason why I am chiming in on it is this morning is the 2nd time I've heard that Gibbs has pushed Bowles on Dan.  I presume Gibbs pushed him in the off season and not recently.  I don't know if it's purely as a defensive coordinator or head coach.   I am fine if its D coordinator but a loud no if its head coach.  

I read the NY papers a lot and by the time Bowles got to his last year he was a punch line over there.  And yeah you can have no personality and be a good coach see Belichick but I think Bowles being both boring and showing no emotion coupled with losing -- I think will wear thin fast.   Can Dan resist nostalgia though?  

If I am going with a D coordinator type, I'd want someone known to be innovate and also with personality to motivate the troops like a Kris Richards type. 

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/jets-bruce-arians-todd-bowles-has-always-been-boring-media/

Todd Bowles is one of the most boring head coaches in the NFL, 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ain’t-no-voice-like-the-one-todd-bowles-got-jets-head-coach-sure-can-sing/ar-BBOszqy

Todd Bowles doesn't usually show much personality 

https://nypost.com/2017/09/11/the-two-predictable-and-sad-failures-of-todd-bowles/

The Jets stink. In order for this team to win games, they must take chances. Chances like going for it on fourth-and-8 in the fourth quarter. Pull out that play in the playbook that says, “Gotta have it” next to it. Take a chance. Roll the dice. That has to be the Jets’ approach this season. They are not going to out-talent teams. So it is going to take creative, gutsy coaching to do it. Is Bowles capable of that?

The conservative approach also showed with the offensive play-calling

...Bowles came to the Jets with this reputation as a great defensive coach who could make things happen with his game plans no matter whom he had on the field. This is his third season. I can’t think of one game in which I was blown away by his defensive game plan. That is unlike his predecessor, Rex Ryan — who I thought had his own issues as a head coach — but you could consistently count on a strong defensive plan from him.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Article/Jeff-Heath-explains-Kris-Richards-appeal-as-a-head-coach-127601888/

Kris Richard is a wanted man. Eight NFL teams changed head coaches after the 2018 season, and three of them reached out to Richard for interviews despite the overwhelming league preference for offensive-minded candidates. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers settled on Bruce Arians as their new head coach, but the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins are still searching, and Jeff Heath just explained to them via Kate Hairopoulous of The Dallas Morning News why Richard should be the choice.

"As far as motivation and leadership, getting the mentality of a room right, that's probably his best quality, to go along with how football smart he is," Heath said. "Just the way he gets guys to play for him, just the presence he has, is really good."

Richard doesn't just get players to play hard for them. He figures out the best ways to use them. Byron Jones spent the first few years of his career playing safety before Richard wisely moved him to cornerback, where he became an All-Pro in his first year at the position. That is Richard's greatest selling point. In an era of offensive explosion, his defenses have consistently been able to stop even the best passers in football. He held Drew Brees to only 127 yards passing, after all.

If you can't have Sean McVay as your head coach, the next best thing is the coach capable of beating him. The Cowboys desperately want to hold onto that kind of coach, but Heath wished him nothing but the best as he interviews for top jobs.

"If that's what he wants, then I want that for him," Heath said. "He's going to be a great coach and whatever role he has on whatever team, he's going to do a great job."

In all honesty, Todd Bowles is the exact perfect coach that perfectly matches this team and FO.

He has the Tampa Connection. Redskins connection, Doug Williams SB 22 connection. He also has a career sub 40% winning which almost perfectly matches Bruce and Dan's.

Championship!!!

giphy.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

In all honesty, Todd Bowles is the exact perfect coach that perfectly matches this team and FO.

He has the Tampa Connection. Redskins connection, Doug Williams SB 22 connection. He also has a career sub 40% winning which almost perfectly matches Bruce and Dan's.

Championship!!!

Bowles would be a great fit 

He sent his brother in to scout out our defensive talent (which he called elite in the offseason) and will bank on a defensive lead team. 

He'll keep O'Connell as OC to work with Haskins. 

He's a big name with a big personality to get the fanbase excited and can keep them entertained even when we're losing.

I'm not saying it will work, but I can absolutely see Dan pulling the trigger.

6.gif

2 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Championship!!!

Yep, that's why I spent some time trashing it.  To me I think it's in play.  :(   When it creates little to no buzz with fans, Dan will then be shocked that fans aren't as enamored with 80s Redskins nostalgia as he is. 

I used to think Dan for his many faults had a good eye for marketing.  I don't think so anymore.  But if I were Dan I'd throw crazy money at Lincoln Riley.  Again he's likely going to fail here like anyone else.  But leaving that aside, if I am talking pure marketing, Riley would be the biggest get.

If I am Riley I'd give a big no to Dan.  I think Dan's only shot would be beating the Jon Gruden contract. 

I was curious so looked up Riley's contract.  So he's getting 6 million a year for 5 years and basically has a 4.6 million buy out.  I'd gather you'd have to pay him at least 7.5 million a year, buy out the 4.6 million, and give him at least 5 years.  I think for him to come here to have any chance to land him albeit slim, you'd have to go much bigger, 10 million a year, 10 years like Gruden?

I can imagine Bruce flubbing the negotiation, hey Riley how about 4 million a year for 3 years?  Oops sorry Dan I tried, Riley hung up on me, I gave him a generous offer so you got me what's wrong?  I just went through my Tampa rolodex and found the perfect coach!  Lets call Raheem Morris, I bet we can get the dude for 2 million a year and he'd have no issue with you or me running the show.  

https://247sports.com/Article/Lincoln-Riley-Oklahoma-Sooners-football-contract-details-extension-132965724/

Details on Lincoln Riley's new 5-year contract

ByBRAD CRAWFORD Jun 18, 12:49 PM
  •  
  •  

Lincoln Riley's new contract at the University of Oklahoma is worth $32 million over the next five years and is filled with perks and performance-based bonus opportunities, according to The Tulsa World.

Running Feb. 1, 2019 through Jan. 31, 2024, Riley's new deal features the highest raise in program history, various off-the-field luxuries and nearly $1 million extra annually depending on Oklahoma's level of success.

Riley's $6 million salary in 2019 is a $1.2 million bump from his 2018 pay. By comparison, Bob Stoops' highest salary in Norman was $5.5 million in 2016.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/ou/lincoln-riley-contract-ou-football-coach-would-owe-school-about/article_9ff944fe-5b4b-5239-93ea-4c5e532c65b0.html

What happens if Riley chooses to leave the Sooners following the 2019 season for another football job?

The contract specifies the coach would be responsible to pay OU 22.5% (about $4.6 million) of the remaining guaranteed compensation. The amount drops about $1 million each year. On March 16, 2022, the amount will be waived by OU.

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

He sent his brother in to scout out our defensive talent (which he called elite in the offseason) and will bank on a defensive lead team. 

He'll keep O'Connell as OC to work with Haskins. 

He's a big name with a big personality to get the fanbase excited and can keep them entertained even when we're losing.

I'm not saying it will work, but I can absolutely see Dan pulling the trigger.

6.gif

This one is a total Redskins move, I could see Snyder going for Rex Ryan

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I am Riley I'd give a big no to Dan.  I think Dan's only shot would be beating the Jon Gruden contract. 

If Snyder (Not Allen) went to Riley and basically gave him complete control and a huge contract, if I’m Riley, I’d listen.

If he didn’t get complete control here, I wouldn’t take the job under any circumstance. 

Generally I’m absolutely against this.  But I also don’t think Dan has it in him to make 2 good hires.  So make 1, and let them do the rest.  Again, ideally you get the FO exec first.  But I’m not sure that’s going to happen.  So if Dan tries for Riley, and Riley demands control, that might be the only way Dan can justify to himself to to push Bruce aside.  It’s ass backwards, but it might be the only way it actually happens.  

Then hopefully Riley is smart enough to give Kyle Smith a large role or hire somebody else to run personnel. 

40 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

This one is a total Redskins move, I could see Snyder going for Rex Ryan

Dan has a history of going big name after a complete debacle. 

I consider Norv a debacle.  He went to Marty.

Spurrier was a debacle.  He got Gibbs.

Zorn was a debacle.  He got Shanahan.

Gruden is trending towards a debacle.  

Big name typically follows.  But the 3 big name coaches Snyder has hired have been elite, HOF level coaches.  Marty is 6th in most coaching wins of all time.  Behind Shula, Halas, Landry, Lambeau and Paul Brown.  THAT is some rare company.  He’s ahead of Noll, Reeves, Knox and Parcells.  He might not have had post season success, but Marty won everywhere he went. 

Gibbs is a legend and Shanahan has 2 SBs.

Heres the issue: there are no candidates that have close to any of those types of credentials.  Unless I’m missing somebody, the closest is McCarthy. If Tomlin gets fired, he would have the resume.  

Who else would fit that pattern?  Rex Ryan does not. 

Even if Bruce is still here, I get the feeling Dan is going to do the HC picking this time.  He’s got to stop the bleeding, and inject some type of energy back into the team.  Both for the team and also for marketing purposes.  

I am not sure if it’s better or worse with Dan picking the coach.  Or really if it even matters that much.  But one thing Dan might realize if a bunch of candidates say no because of Bruce, that he’s got s FO problem he might not even think he has.  it might help shed light on the actual problem. 

Archived