Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2019 nfl cuts and who we should be interested

PartyPosse

9 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

And yet, his time here produced the only two winning seasons the team has had since 2012. 

People get too caught up in the black and white when talking about SM. It's assumed you either have to be fully in the "He was god" camp or "He was a drunk failure" camp. There's plenty of room in between. 

In retrospect, SM was the wrong hire, mainly because of his personal problems, but his hiring was the right idea. What he did bring to the team was something Allen and the previous FO structure never had: a sense of what it takes to build a team, to make guys want to play for you, to make them feel like you actually care about them. That does wonders for a team, even with some bad decisions in the draft.

I think the team has actually learned some good lessons from the success they had under SM. He may not have ultimately been the right man for the job, but, despite the stench of BA still permeating the team, they've upgraded some good people like Williams to have more influence and interaction with the players; Most importantly, there's been the rise of Kyle Smith (promoted by Williams in 2017) and the parting of ways with Scott Campbell, etc. Smith's influence has been highly credited for both of the last two draft classes. 

So yeah, some of SM's top picks haven't worked out. But to call his time here a "failure", given the record during his tenure and the apparently positive changes that came from the experience, is incredibly short-sighted. 

To me, it's more that Scot's time here coincided with the only 2 winning seasons the team has had since 2012...not that his presence produced those winning seasons.

I do agree that hiring a GM was the right idea even though Scot was not the right hire, although I don't go as far as to say he infused the team with anything that showed the Skins were now building a team the right way. While reports did show that players felt Scot cared for them and sincerely liked the guy, it was also noted that Scot may have overstepped his boundaries in terms of interacting with players.

We know that he pulled both Cravens and Breeland into his office for private talks concerning issues the coaches and some teammates were having with them...and we also know that Bruce gave him a rather strong directive about not interacting with the players so directly (Scot himself said this more than once).  Is it possible the coaches felt Scot was interfering in issues that they felt were not his arena and let Bruce know about it? Very possible (Sheehan brought up this possibility as well). You mentioned personal problems getting in the way of his time here--gonna assume you mean drinking here, at the very least. If so, it's also very possible that Bruce worried about players detecting the smell of alcohol when interacting with him one-on-one and that was the reasoning for strongly letting Scot know to stop interacting with players in that manner.

I also don't tend to give Scot much credit for some type of changing of the climate or culture in his short stint with the Skins, like the team just got better through osmosis, absorbing all the positives Scot was emitting lol...I say this because of the timeline. If Scot's personal problems were indeed affecting his ability to do his job, then it may have been doing so almost from the beginning, because it was reported that Snyder wanted him gone during the first 6 months of his tenure with the Redskins, and Bruce had to basically talk him out of it and try to salvage things. So, is it possible that Scot's personal demons were making themselves known almost immediately, then? Definitely possible. And if so, I would tend to downplay how much positive changed he brought to the team (outside of talent acquisition).

But the main thing is: if you believe Scot was not the right man for the job due to his personal problems playing a negative role in things, it would seem to me that his very short time with the team was by definition, a failure. It would mean that he didn't build anything here because he let his personal demons put a stop to it right after he started. It would mean he didn't bring in nearly enough top-end talent to form a lasting core for the Redskins to offset the ways his personal problems affected things.

We have 2 open spots with Wilson and brailford to ir.  If I were gm, I would:

-Sign s Josh Jones, apke to PS

-sign wisnewski, release flowers

-sign OT Matt kalil, carry 10 OL

-Sign LB Brandon Marshall

Jones is a signing looking towards the future.  Collins seems to have a strong work ethic, he can mentor Jones who I am assuming may need help in that area, considering his weaknesses definitely aren't ability related.   

Wisnewski and kalil are depth signings to prevent our QB from getting killed this year, especially if DH takes over at some point.  Would help to allow our QBs to feel comfortable and develop in a new system.  I like how wisnewski can play guard and center, along with Ross p and Bergstrom, meaning a lot of depth for when the injury bug hits.  I would release flowers, I just don't think he is going to work out.  Too many lapses.

Brandon Marshall is a depth signing, a veteran presence who could push for significant playing time, considering we have some green guys at ilb outside of bostic.  (I admit, I don't know how bostic and Marshall would complement each other, are they too similar, could they work side by side?)

I think these guys provide upgrades for a variety of reasons, and would feel better about the team now and long term with these moves.

7 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Could it be that we're pulling him in for Intel purposes?

Possibly, though both Smallwood and Webster seem like legit NFL players. So it's not likely they're just signing Eagles players for a week. As one of the deeper teams in the league, getting Eagles' cuts isn't bad. 

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

We have 2 open spots with Wilson and brailford to ir.  If I were gm, I would:

-Sign s Josh Jones, apke to PS

-sign wisnewski, release flowers

-sign OT Matt kalil, carry 10 OL

-Sign LB Brandon Marshall

Jones is a signing looking towards the future.  Collins seems to have a strong work ethic, he can mentor Jones who I am assuming may need help in that area, considering his weaknesses definitely aren't ability related.   

Wisnewski and kalil are depth signings to prevent our QB from getting killed this year, especially if DH takes over at some point.  Would help to allow our QBs to feel comfortable and develop in a new system.  I like how wisnewski can play guard and center, along with Ross p and Bergstrom, meaning a lot of depth for when the injury bug hits.  I would release flowers, I just don't think he is going to work out.  Too many lapses.

Brandon Marshall is a depth signing, a veteran presence who could push for significant playing time, considering we have some green guys at ilb outside of bostic.  (I admit, I don't know how bostic and Marshall would complement each other, are they too similar, could they work side by side?)

I think these guys provide upgrades for a variety of reasons, and would feel better about the team now and long term with these moves.

3 of the those players are in the declining stages of their careers.  As a GM why would want them on the bottom of your roster?  Marshall was cut because he's not on the field in nickel packages (which is close to 75% of the time these days) and he doesn't play special teams.  Depth has to play teams.  Wisnewski as been in decline the last two seasons and Kalil never was all that good and is constantly injured.  Skins need to fill in the bottom with ascending players like a Caleb Brantley.

Not sure what happened with Josh Jones but he might be worth a shot.  I'm surprised the Skins only kept 4 safeties when the tread in the NFL is having 3 safeties on the field.  And I'd rather not see Apke on the field with the defense.   

Archived