Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2019 nfl cuts and who we should be interested

PartyPosse

Su'a Cravens = bum!

The 2016 second-round pick of the Redskins came out of his brief retirement last year and was dealt to the Broncos.  He played just 117 defensive snaps for last year's club and seemed to be on the outside looking in at a spot all this summer.  New coach Vic Fangio said Cravens had to make the team as a safety, not as a hybrid linebacker.  Cravens is still just 24 years old.

https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/1167470384297521152

50 minutes ago, carex said:

more and more of GMSM's moves seem like total boneheaded ideas

First 2 rounds of Scot's first 2 drafts:

Scherff, Preston Smith, Doctson, Cravens, and a 6th round pick the next year.

First 2 rounds of the first 2 drafts after Scot was fired:

Jonathan Allen, Ryan Anderson, DaRon Payne, Derrius Guice, and a 3rd round pick in that same draft.

I'm officially ready to declare Scot's time in Washington a failure lol...

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Kind of odd how Scott come here and fails. Similarly Callahan comes here and isn't really all that great either. It's almost like the team sucks the talent out of you.

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Jonathan Allen, Ryan Anderson, DaRon Payne, Derrius Guice, and a 3rd round pick in that same draft.

I completely trusted that he was going to build a beast of a team here... Looking back, it's almost impressive how terrible his personnel decisions were. And even more impressive is that I was on board with every one because it was Scott at the helm. what a dumb **** I am. 

1 minute ago, dyst said:

Kind of odd how Scott come here and fails. Similarly Callahan comes here and isn't really all that great either. It's almost like the team sucks the talent out of you.

Callahan has had to build lines with street free agents signed in the mddle of the year

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

Disagree about Callahan...he's done well while here. Helped develop Moses (who sucked eggs before his arrival), made Roullier into a starter, and somehow got guys we were literally pulling off the street Wednesday and starting on the O-Line Sunday to perform better than they had any right to.

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Well let’s see how Guice performs before we declare that draft a complete success. Also, Ryan Anderson hasn’t exactly shown a ton and considering there were still guys like Juju, Thomlinson, Ogunjobi and Cunningham, that pick is starting to look bleh.

Who would you rather have, Anderson or Cravens? Payne or Doctson? Allen or Smith?...

25 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Disagree about Callahan...he's done well while here. Helped develop Moses (who sucked eggs before his arrival), made Roullier into a starter, and somehow got guys we were literally pulling off the street Wednesday and starting on the O-Line Sunday to perform better than they had any right to.

And then there's Nesekhe

46 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

That would be a big sore spot on Bruce's resume if so since from what I read this was single handily his hire.  So I'll defend Bruce for a change. ;)

As for the draft.  Once you get past the first round, the odds that the player you draft is a success is less than 50% in each round and the percentage gets smaller and smaller,  If you pull 2-3 starters out of a draft its considered a success.  If you do that plus a role player or two then its typically considered a massive success.

2015 draft:  Scherff, Preston Smith, J. Crowder = 3 starters and good ones.  Spaight (role player for years) Jarrett was playing CB-nickel and FS until a career ending injury.  Reiter played for years.  Ari K ditto.  That draft was a massive success.  

2016 draft.  Doctson to me is a role player.  Yes bad pick but join the club with the ton of other misses around the league at WR in the first.    Cravens -- bust.  Fuller -- good pick.  Ionnaidis -- great pick.  Sudfeld -- backup QB -- decent pick.  And they traded down to pick up 3 picks for 2017.  That's not exactly a disaster.   If Ionnaidis was their first round pick as opposed to the 5th I think perception wise would be different about that draft.    I'd generalize it as so so.  2 starters, 2 role players, and 3 picks acquired for the following draft is no disaster. 

Drafts in the moment tend to feel better than over time so it needs to play out.  For example, we were (me too) aglow about the 2017 draft.  But at the moment I can see that one go either way.  I am more optimistic than not about it.  But there are a lot of players that can turn one way or another.    The 2011 draft had a feel like that -- we thought for a couple of seasons that Helu, Hankerson among others showed enough flashes that they'd emerge.  Ultimately they didn't.   That's the tricky thing about the draft -- you can't compare one from 3 years ago to a more current one because its takes awhile for the current ones to really be judged.  They almost always feel really good in the throes of the honeymoon so to speak.   

And that's not me knocking any of the recent drafts that's me saying that eventually if the draft turns into 2-3 starters and 1-2 role players, that's a good haul.  Maybe for example Perine ends up a bust and Moreau and Anderson ends up just a guy.  But if Allen and lets say Nicholson remains starters, then its still a good draft IMO.  Lets say if G. Christian ends up a bust and Apke -- and players picked after them are successful -- great -- I am not judging any pick in a vacuum.  Teams blow 1st round picks and 2nd, etc.  It's not that rare.  It's also not rare for a team to bomb on let's say their 2nd rounder but nail the 5th rounder or whatever permutation.  That's the beauty of the draft and why it means so much to accrue picks.     I seem like the only guy that hypes the three picks that were added to the 2017 draft via 2016 but to me that was huge -- and a big part of why that 2017 draft felt so good. 

The key is to get enough players right in the mix of the soup, it means nothing if a higher round pick is a failure and a lower round one is a success.  It's about how it adds up together IMO. 

Archived