Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2019 nfl cuts and who we should be interested

PartyPosse

23 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I can't help but think a competent GM working the phones could at least garner a late pick swap for a guy like Doctson. 

"Hello, yeah, I have a player here that I'm going to cut. Could you please send us a draft pick for him instead of not spending anything to get him in free agency?"

8 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Anyone else disgusted that we might keep Samaje I can't even get past 3rd string scrubs?  Can someone explain this to me?  I don't get it guys/gals.

Like someone said earlier about keeping Apke......"coaches gotta have their pets"........

EDIT:  Pets die all the time.................Samaje Perine CUT........

Just now, NickyJ said:

"Hello, yeah, I have a player here that I'm going to cut. Could you please send us a draft pick for him instead of not spending anything to get him in free agency?"

There’s danger in letting other teams have a shot at him when he hits FA though. So you give up a late pick to ensure you get him. Happens all the time. 

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

It’s not free agency & we can actually still trade him.

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

There’s danger in letting other teams have a shot at him when he hits FA though. So you give up a late pick to ensure you get him. Happens all the time. 

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

It’s not free agency & we can actually still trade him.

Our entire offseason has been spent by the team's front office and coaching staff dumping on him, outright saying he's so bad that the most they can do for him is try to showcase him and hope some sucker is dumb enough to think that he's worth trading for. The chance we had at making him look like he was any draft pick was before the preseason even began.

For the record, the Vikings are doing the exact same thing with Treadwell. So the stupidity in that thought isn't limited just to our team.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Our entire offseason has been spent by the team's front office and coaching staff dumping on him, outright saying he's so bad that the most they can do for him is try to showcase him and hope some sucker is dumb enough to think that he's worth trading for. The chance we had at making him look like he was any draft pick was before the preseason even began.

For the record, the Vikings are doing the exact same thing with Treadwell. So the stupidity in that thought isn't limited just to our team.

On the other hand, look how much they hyped up Perine all offseason. How did that work out?

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

On the other hand, look how much they hyped up Perine all offseason. How did that work out?

To be fair, Doctson actually had moments that managed to get him a legit highlight reel, even if it is only 2 minutes long. Perine has done absolutely nothing, even when put against 3rd stringers. 1st round picks can usually get a second chance on a team willing to try to turn someone else's busted 1st into a serviceable depth player. Perine will probably get picked up by someone, but not for a draft pick. Even then, Doctson probably won't either. If we had actually tried to do positive marketing with him, I'd say maybe. With what we did, I say no chance.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Honestly, I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I saw an improvement in Perine this offseason. Specifically in his quickness and decisiveness.  The O-Line he ran behind in the preseason games were trash. None of the RBs that ran behind those back up lines looked good/great..... 

16 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Happens constantly in the NFL around cut time. Just never really for us. Teams want to circumvent the waiver process for guys they want to take a swing on, but you have to sell it. 

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

To be fair, Doctson actually had moments that managed to get him a legit highlight reel, even if it is only 2 minutes long. Perine has done absolutely nothing, even when put against 3rd stringers. 1st round picks can usually get a second chance on a team willing to try to turn someone else's busted 1st into a serviceable depth player. Perine will probably get picked up by someone, but not for a draft pick. Even then, Doctson probably won't either. If we had actually tried to do positive marketing with him, I'd say maybe. With what we did, I say no chance.

Maybe. But people get paid to watch film on other players in the league. I’m pretty sure any “marketing” spin would have been given next to no consideration in comparison. 

It would be such a poor use of precious roster space to keep Marshall at RB. You can cut him and get him or a guy even better of the scrap heap in the event of injury. You don't need to blow the roster spot on JAG RB's. Get with the times. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Happens constantly in the NFL around cut time. Just never really for us. Teams want to circumvent the waiver process for guys they want to take a swing on, but you have to sell it. 

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Maybe. But people get paid to watch film on other players in the league. I’m pretty sure any “marketing” spin would have been given next to no consideration in comparison. 

Agreed on both counts. But what we did was negative marketing. When the entire offseason is about broadcasting "this guy is so bad that he probably won't make the team", it's going to drive their values down no matter what. Ideally, Doctson just does his thing without the staff needing to be big mouths about it, and then we get a surprise tweet saying "Redskins trade Doctson to X" with all the comments being total surprise and never seeing it coming.

really hope we can stash Cam on the PS. really like his potential. really unfortunate timing of having the worst game of his professional career at the most important time.

and im all on board with the Doctson cut. just didnt live up to his college rep and draft position.

now that means McClaurin is a starter who will be seeing major playing time. cool. but Im a little concerned Jay kept him in bubble-wrap all preseason and hardly got any real-game reps or lather with the starting QB. hope that doesnt bite us in the ass during the regular season with timing and chemistry. still mystified at Jay's reasoning for that.

Archived