Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2019 nfl cuts and who we should be interested

PartyPosse

25 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Well let’s see how Guice performs before we declare that draft a complete success. Also, Ryan Anderson hasn’t exactly shown a ton and considering there were still guys like Juju, Thomlinson, Ogunjobi and Cunningham, that pick is starting to look bleh.

Haha that pick has always looked bleh. We naturally would like to see the upside in all of our picks, but Cooley threw the ice water on that pick real quick and has been correct ever since. Still, strong enough against the run to be serviceable.

You can't go back in drafts and play the hindsight is 20/20 game like that. There are far more busts than superstars found after the 1st round. If it was so obvious that Juju, for example was going to be a superstar, then he wouldn't have been taken 40+ picks after guys like Zay Jones and John Ross. There were serious questions about Juju (see article "Reception Perception").

36 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I really hope we hold on to JP Holtz... the dude can block and can make plays.  Sprinkle can't really do either as far as I remember. Holtz could even be a situational fullback.

I’m actually with you. I had high hopes for Sprinkle but at a certain point you have to cut your loses. Sprinkle is what he is and with Vernon and reed here i would rather take a risk on a higher upside prospect.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That would be a big sore spot on Bruce's resume if so since from what I read this was single handily his hire.  So I'll defend Bruce for a change. ;)

As for the draft.  Once you get past the first round, the odds that the player you draft is a success is less than 50% in each round and the percentage gets smaller and smaller,  If you pull 2-3 starters out of a draft its considered a success.  If you do that plus a role player or two then its typically considered a massive success.

2015 draft:  Scherff, Preston Smith, J. Crowder = 3 starters and good ones.  Spaight (role player for years) Jarrett was playing CB-nickel and FS until a career ending injury.  Reiter played for years.  Ari K ditto.  That draft was a massive success.  

2016 draft.  Doctson to me is a role player.  Yes bad pick but join the club with the ton of other misses around the league at WR in the first.    Cravens -- bust.  Fuller -- good pick.  Ionnaidis -- great pick.  Sudfeld -- backup QB -- decent pick.  And they traded down to pick up 3 picks for 2017.  That's not exactly a disaster.   If Ionnaidis was their first round pick as opposed to the 5th I think perception wise would be different about that draft.    I'd generalize it as so so.  2 starters, 2 role players, and 3 picks acquired for the following draft is no disaster. 

Drafts in the moment tend to feel better than over time so it needs to play out.  For example, we were (me too) aglow about the 2017 draft.  But at the moment I can see that one go either way.  I am more optimistic than not about it.  But there are a lot of players that can turn one way or another.    The 2011 draft had a feel like that -- we thought for a couple of seasons that Helu, Hankerson among others showed enough flashes that they'd emerge.  Ultimately they didn't.   That's the tricky thing about the draft -- you can't compare one from 3 years ago to a more current one because its takes awhile for the current ones to really be judged.  They almost always feel really good in the throes of the honeymoon so to speak.   

And that's not me knocking any of the recent drafts that's me saying that eventually if the draft turns into 2-3 starters and 1-2 role players, that's a good haul.  Maybe for example Perine ends up a bust and Moreau and Anderson ends up just a guy.  But if Allen and lets say Nicholson remains starters, then its still a good draft IMO.  Lets say if G. Christian ends up a bust and Apke -- and players picked after them are successful -- great -- I am not judging any pick in a vacuum.  Teams blow 1st round picks and 2nd, etc.  It's not that rare.  It's also not rare for a team to bomb on let's say their 2nd rounder but nail the 5th rounder or whatever permutation.  That's the beauty of the draft and why it means so much to accrue picks.     I seem like the only guy that hypes the three picks that were added to the 2017 draft via 2016 but to me that was huge -- and a big part of why that 2017 draft felt so good. 

The key is to get enough players right in the mix of the soup, it means nothing if a higher round pick is a failure and a lower round one is a success.  It's about how it adds up together IMO. 

Welllll...

giphy.gif

You're right, of course lol...I just don't like seeing that much draft capital wasted. And in all honesty, I can't tell you who I'd rather have, Ryan Anderson or Preston Smith...but I'd rather have Payne over Doctson and even with no regular season carries, Guice over Cravens. Keep in mind, I've criticized Bethard for his lack of success in the first two rounds toward the end of his time as Skins' GM--should have been building up the team's young core with some quality starters in those rounds. 

28 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You're right, of course lol...I just don't like seeing that much draft capital wasted. And in all honesty, I can't tell you who I'd rather have, Ryan Anderson or Preston Smith...but I'd rather have Payne over Doctson and even with no regular season carries, Guice over Cravens. Keep in mind, I've criticized Bethard for his lack of success in the first two rounds toward the end of his time as Skins' GM--should have been building up the team's young core with some quality starters in those rounds. 

This isn't really directed at you but about criticism of drafts.  I think anyone can destroy any GM's drafts if you twist context and judge drafts as if most picks should be hits.  Most picks statistically speaking are more likely to be misses.  I hated to hear my hero, Joe Gibbs one time talk about it during his 2nd stint here.  I forgot how he said it but he justified his love of veterans over picks by saying many picks don't pan out.  He's right that most draft picks don't pan out.   But as Kiper likes to say the most important thing to do is accrue picks to increase your odds so the misses don't sting as much.  

I'd rather have Payne over Doctson.  I'd take Preston Smith over Anderson -- there was a reason I think why Anderson didn't dislodge Preston in the last 2 years.  Maybe Anderson emerges this season but I think he's been slower to develop than Preston albeit neither one looks to be anything special.  I'd also take Fuller over Moreau.  I'd take Ionnaidis over Sprinkle.  I'd take Crowder over Apke.   Still I don't think I can compare drafts that way.  My point is the round is sort of meaningless in the end.  If you told me in the 2020 draft, we'd nail 2 studs in the 4th and 5th rounds and we'd get 2 duds in the 1st and 2nd -- it would make no difference to me.  I don't care about the permutation.  

I don't know if Scot's drafts were better than Kyle's but that's a different point.  But Kyle's are likely going to seem inflated good right now because there hasn't been enough time to rule guys out who tease.  Players can tease some for 2-3 seasons and then fade.  My favorite example of that is the 2011 draft.  There was a phase where we thought Jenkins would be a stud.  Hankerson showed good flashes his rookie year.  Helu, too.  Even Royster.  Some thought Neild might be a decent NT.  The Christmas presents tend to feel the best soon after you unwrap them.  Years later you might think man I never used that gift, not as cool as i thought it was at the time. 

I am not saying you are saying otherwise.  Just saying I think the drafts have been pretty good for awhile but they are bound to be disappointments especially in relation to draft status.  I think the key is to keep swinging and getting younger.  

I wonder about Beathard in today's NFL.  Back then he could stash players on the roster with no worry about the cap.  He was shrewd with trades, USFL signings, etc.  I think it's funny that Casserly is lionized by the local media for the Redskins glory years considering he was mostly an assistant during that time.  And when he took over, he arguably was the architect for the Redskins demise.  Vinny is given the harder time but i think Casserly is neck and neck with him.   Vinny at least would get most of his first round picks right.   But we got Casserly on all these shows as some sort of voice of wisdom.  🙄

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Any word on Skins cuts?

Nah.

The Redskins didn't cut anyone last year on Friday after the preseason ended, I believe.

All their cuts will probably come on Saturday.

EDIT: All cuts have to be made by 4pm Saturday afternoon.

4 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Any word on Skins cuts?

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

Nah.

The Redskins didn't cut anyone last year on Friday after the preseason ended, I believe.

I hope they don't cut anyone early. And just wait until the last minute to announce them all.

It almost seems insulting to cut some players that early.

It's like saying "You were soo bad, we only had to think about it for 5 minutes before cutting you after the last preseason game"

25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I hope they don't cut anyone early. And just wait until the last minute to announce them all.

It almost seems insulting to cut some players that early.

It's like saying "You were soo bad, we only had to think about it for 5 minutes before cutting you after the last preseason game"

The advantage to being cut early, though, is that it gives the player more time to land on another team or their practice squad (if eligible).

5 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Well let’s see how Guice performs before we declare that draft a complete success. Also, Ryan Anderson hasn’t exactly shown a ton and considering there were still guys like Juju, Thomlinson, Ogunjobi and Cunningham, that pick is starting to look bleh.

Alvin Kamara would have been nice.

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m actually with you. I had high hopes for Sprinkle but at a certain point you have to cut your loses. 

463feb32-6242-4b23-b51c-6295d0beffea_tex

5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Disagree about Callahan...he's done well while here. Helped develop Moses (who sucked eggs before his arrival), made Roullier into a starter, and somehow got guys we were literally pulling off the street Wednesday and starting on the O-Line Sunday to perform better than they had any right to.

Sometimes I sit alone at night & wish Cali posted more often.

tenor.gif?itemid=5385706

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Sometimes you post stuff just because of the name.

Anyone up for some Aged Corn ?

Carolina Panthers Cuts :

CB Corn Elder

Kid from Tennessee, he was a big recruit, top 250 player in the country.

1 hour ago, redskindan07 said:

Eli Harold was just let go by the Eagles. If I remember correctly many on here wanted the skins to draft him back in the 2015 draft.

Eli & Lynch are two former 49ers I’d like to see unleashed in the wild Manusky.

18 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Alvin Kamara would have been nice.

He was one of my guys that draft.  I took him with one of my picks in the board's draft.  I recall saying when I went to the Saints game during Kamara's rookie year in NO -- it was sad for me to see all those Kamara jerseys in the stands.   Anderson is all right but I'd love it if they took Kamara with that pick.   And I am not even a Volunteer fan like you, so I'd presume it was more painful for you. :mellow:

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He was one of my guys that draft.  I took him with one of my picks in the board's draft.  I recall saying when I went to the Saints game during Kamara's rookie year in NO -- it was sad for me to see all those Kamara jerseys in the stands.   Anderson is all right but I'd love it if they took Kamara with that pick.   And I am not even a Volunteer fan like you, so I'd presume it was more painful for you. :mellow:

I wish I had foreseen what he’s become, I was liking Carl Lawson or Melifonwu.

988C78C5-3CB6-4D78-BD81-F4ACC0FC3308.gif

8 hours ago, CTskin said:

I completely trusted that he was going to build a beast of a team here... Looking back, it's almost impressive how terrible his personnel decisions were. And even more impressive is that I was on board with every one because it was Scott at the helm. what a dumb **** I am. 

It's almost like the guy was hammer drunk every day. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Anderson has been very disappointing to me.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Carolina Panthers Cuts :

CB Corn Elder

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

Kid from Tennessee,

So...Elder is a kid...that could be confusing.

Any  particular reason we're keeping track of all the ex-Redskins who got cut ?

So we can revive their career, or just boredom ? lol

Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on amything.

Trade rumors about Taywan Taylor coming out of Tennessee are apparently growing in volume...I know WR is already a tight spot for us, but I'd trade a late round pick for him right now and bump the last guy, whoever that is, onto the PS. 

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So...Elder is a kid...that could be confusing.

Any  particular reason we're keeping track of all the ex-Redskins who got cut ?

So we can revive their career, or just boredom ? lol

Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on amything.

65FE32DD-0E5B-4F22-A488-92A1DE2AC3F5.gif

Archived