Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Case Keenum Named Week 1 Starter

desertbeagle85

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It really wouldn't be fair. Jay is in a "prove it" year where his job is on the line, so it wouldn't be fair for someone else to dictate to him who starts at QB

I've actually a contrarian position on that. If Jay inserted Haskins and the team and the fans see Haskins have tremendous growth that would provide more "proof" than going wiht Case. The only way Gruden proves it with Case is to at least make the playoffs and, probably, win a game or two. Proving it with Haskins is a much easier road.

In other words, I could be convinced a 7-9 or 6-10 season with Haskins was a big accomplishment and feel positive about the team's trajectory. A 9-7 season with Case would leave me nonplussed, especially since Case is a one year rental and the team has to start over again no matter what next year. In fact, if Case does well then the Redskins can't afford him and if he does lousy then the Redskins haven't proved anything.

I still wouldn't Haskins. I don't think he's ready and I don't think the o-line is settled. That said, it's a lot easier to prove a team with a rookie QB is on the upswing than a vet team.

20 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Good luck.

Case hasn’t really looked inspiring this preseason, but we will see what he can do.

He also hasn't had any of his actual starting receivers to work with, in preseason.

Then you have an OL that is still growing and getting to know each other, in Penn, Flowers, Christian, Martin...

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He also hasn't had any of his actual starting receivers to work with, in preseason.

Then you have an OL that is still growing and getting to know each other, in Penn, Flowers, Christian, Martin...

Well, honestly I don’t see it improving much over the regular season.  He has who, Doctson, Richardson and Sims to throw to? This will be a case (pardon the pun) of the QB improving the WR’s rather than the other way around.  Same with the OL too, to a lesser extent, now that Trent Williams is as good as gone.

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

He has who, Doctson, Richardson and Sims to throw to?

I am expecting the starting receivers to be McLaurin, Quinn, and Richardson...if not Game 1, then soon thereafter.

I would not be surprised if Doctson is cut or traded. Most likely demoted.

Quinn has far exceeded the expectations of a 7th rounder. He is a Route-Running Mozart and workhorse, who has impressed everyone who has laid eyes on him.

The same could be said for McLaurin. Just without the year under his belt like Quinn has, but more physical talent than Quinn.

Richardson, if he can stay healthy, is supposedly a poor-man's DJax.

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I am expecting the starting receivers to be McLaurin, Quinn, and Richardson...if not Game 1, then soon thereafter.

I would not be surprised if Doctson is cut or traded. Most likely demoted.

Quinn has far exceeded the expectations of a 7th rounder. He is a Route-Running Mozart and workhorse, who has impressed everyone who has laid eyes on him.

The same could be said for McLaurin. Just without the year under his belt like Quinn has, but more physical talent than Quinn.

Richardson, if he can stay healthy, is supposedly a poor-man's DJax.

Is Quinn the whiteboy?  I think I remember him.  Never heard of McLaurin.  Richardson is ok, but nothing special.  None of these guys are getting drafted in a 10 team fantasy football league.

Whoever the QB is, has their work cut out for them.  That’s all.

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Is Quinn the whiteboy?  I think I remember him.  Never heard of McLaurin.  Richardson is ok, but nothing special.  None of these guys are getting drafted in a 10 team fantasy football league.

Whoever the QB is, has their work cut out for them.  That’s all.

You’ve probably never heard of McLaurin because he’s a rookie 🤷🏻‍♂️ Justttt sayin :P although to be fair, I knew who he was on draft day when we drafted him on day 2. He played college football with Haskins in Ohio State 

I’ll be really discouraged if smash mouth 35 rushing attempts a game football isn’t the game plan with the stable of RBs we have combined with the other issues we have on offense. We went 6-2 last year with Alex Smith playing C- football and even that grade might be generous. Case just needs to protect the ball because I can’t see him playing much worse than Smith was playing. The plan and focus has to be run the football, play great defense and turnovers at a bare minimum. Oh and also run the football.

1 hour ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Living in Denver, I watched a ton of 2018 Case and it wasn't pretty. Buckle up.

He recorded career highs in some stats though.

And I'm curious if his negative aspects can be attributed to the team around him, or if it was his own doing ?

People say his big year in Minnesota was a fluke. But is it possible that his fluke year, was last year ?

I'm not saying he's going to be great. I'm just looking for possible reasons to be optimistic.

And there's this...

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Are the starters really all that much better than the guys he has been throwing to?  Possibly Quinn but that's about it.  Case Keenum is who he is, 2017 was obviously his Brady Anderson season. We have a large enough sample size now to understand that he just isn't any good.  This offense will be pathetic and at times unwatchable.  Literally the only reason for hope is Haskins' development.

Penn is done and will show his age, Flowers flat out sucks regardless of how many teams try to make it work, Christian has shown nothing to lead us to believe that he is anything more than a draft miss, it happens in the 3rd round, and Martin is a ways away if he even gets there.  

Could we have a defense that's as good as the '17 Vikings defense?

Possibly 

And I truly believe we have enough on offense to make some plays.

We have much better running backs than minny did in '17

Sorry keenum I'm not gonna request your jersey from mom for Christmas this year like I did with a smith, but ya got my support and I'll be there front n center cheering ya on each sunday!!!..HTTR!!!

13 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Could we have a defense that's as good as the '17 Vikings defense?

Possibly 

And I truly believe we have enough on offense to make some plays.

Case Keenum has always been Case Keenum except for that outlier season in 2017.  He's never thrown for over 4,000 yards and averages double digit interceptions with lowly (by today's standards) touchdown numbers.  He's Alex Smith with more turnovers.  

With Keenum, we really could do alright this year if we can replicate the blue print from the first 10 games last year. I don't think he can much more pedestrian than Smith was in this offense. 

If we can be a plodding offense who at least gets a couple first downs and burns some clock, I think our defense can do enough to help us win some 17-14 or 16-10 type games. In that model, there really isn't the margin for error to have a couple rookie mistakes or turnovers, so it makes sense. 

I guess it's a good thing that I have little/no knowledge of Case Keenum's prior career.. If they don't play in the NFCE, I pay little attention until playoff time. So, not gonna judge on the past, just hope for a positive future! Hopefully the fellas can look competent. That's really all I ask.. Well, stay healthy, be patient, don't embarrass yourself AND look competent.. Is that too much to ask?? 😆 Let's go!! 

I am so unfamiliar with this sort of behavior from the Redskins but it appears to be a rare species of competence.  They decide to draft a QB but don't reach in the draft and pick him when their turn comes as a real NFL franchise would.  Then they conduct a low key summer camp absolutely devoid of messiah talk and the coach announces that the healthy veteran journeyman will start over their first-round pick.  All of this without we found the messiah marketing campaign to pump up Redskin fans to return to the stadium and buy jerseys.   Hopefully, Haskins continues to impress during the fourth preseason game and then Keenum leads the Redskins to victory over the Eagles.  It would be so unexpected and fun to enjoy a victory and savor some fresh hope for the franchise.

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Case Keenum has always been Case Keenum except for that outlier season in 2017.  He's never thrown for over 4,000 yards and averages double digit interceptions with lowly (by today's standards) touchdown numbers.  He's Alex Smith with more turnovers.  

Outlier 2019?

Archived