Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Case Keenum Named Week 1 Starter

desertbeagle85

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's the sacrificial lamb for at least the first 3-5 games. Haskins will be starting by sometime late October I think.

Depends on if they are winning.  I think they are going to move towards a run heavy, ball control offense as long as we have Guice and AP healthy.  Case doesn't have to be amazing to win behind that strategy.

If they are losing in late October and the offense is sputtering I agree that we will see a change.

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He recorded career highs in some stats though.

And I'm curious if his negative aspects can be attributed to the team around him, or if it was his own doing ?

People say his big year in Minnesota was a fluke. But is it possible that his fluke year, was last year ?

I'm not saying he's going to be great. I'm just looking for possible reasons to be optimistic.

He struck me as the type of player who is made better by other players but not the other way around. I'm worried that our weapons on offense look a lot like Denver's last year, and if so, he isn't going to make them better he will play down to the level of those around him.  He's also the anti Alex Smith in the sense that he can make head scratching decisions with the ball. Smith won games with a pedestrian roster by being smart with the ball, like taking a sack when appropriate, throwing it out of bounds, taking what the defense gives him and not turning it over. I think we'll see Case make bad plays where Alex would not have. 

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Could we have a defense that's as good as the '17 Vikings defense?

Possibly 

And I truly believe we have enough on offense to make some plays.

We have much better running backs than minny did in '17

Sorry keenum I'm not gonna request your jersey from mom for Christmas this year like I did with a smith, but ya got my support and I'll be there front n center cheering ya on each sunday!!!..HTTR!!!

I've been comparing skins 19 to vikings 17 since we got keenum. Case represents our best chance to have a similar season, though that chance is admittedly small.

The vikings 17' running backs were underrated. They lacked big names or flashy plays but had a multi back system and everyone did their part. 

We certainly have more potential in that regard though. 

What we really lack in comparison is wide receivers. Until shown otherwise we might have the worst unit in the league. 

Keenum can play, I'm looking forward to see him operate with these running back. He can flip the ball around and most games he's played in his teams have kept it close. He's not scared to throw a pick either as risking sometimes would payoff better than punting(his stats mean less than the team winning.)

21 minutes ago, Cougarrick said:

Keenum can play, I'm looking forward to see him operate with these running back. He can flip the ball around and most games he's played in his teams have kept it close. He's not scared to throw a pick either as risking sometimes would payoff better than punting(his stats mean less than the team winning.)

I agree man.  He will take shots to receivers where Smith would not last year.  All he has to do is get rid of the ball quick and dont turn it over and we should be pretty successful. 

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Depends on if they are winning.  I think they are going to move towards a run heavy, ball control offense as long as we have Guice and AP healthy.  Case doesn't have to be amazing to win behind that strategy.

If they are losing in late October and the offense is sputtering I agree that we will see a change.

This!! But I do think we will take big shots with Play Action.  

23 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

I agree man.  He will take shots to receivers where Smith would not last year.  All he has to do is get rid of the ball quick and dont turn it over and we should be pretty successful. 

Keenum definitely took some downfield shots in preseason.

The Denver folks coming into the season last year didn't recognize that Bolles was terrible along with the rest of the o line. At least we know that's the case with the Redskins at the beginning of this season. I hope Flowers doesn't kill too many drives as there's not going to be many chances in the nfl.

And I have put my money where my mouth is as I'm flying up for the Cowboy game.😃

9 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Yea we really opened the playbook up this preseason.  🙄

Thats not what I said.  

I recall at least three deep shots from Keenum in about 4 quarters of work.  Haskins got a few too...and it felt more aggressive than Smith.

And I like that to continue in the regular season.

1 hour ago, NeverSurrender said:

I think play action is going to be a big part of what we do.  I honestly don't know how big of an arm Case has.  I'm not so concerned about deep home run bombs but I would like to see more intermediate 20 yard pass attempts or so.

On 8/25/2019 at 5:34 PM, Burgold said:

I've actually a contrarian position on that. If Jay inserted Haskins and the team and the fans see Haskins have tremendous growth that would provide more "proof" than going wiht Case. The only way Gruden proves it with Case is to at least make the playoffs and, probably, win a game or two. Proving it with Haskins is a much easier road.

In other words, I could be convinced a 7-9 or 6-10 season with Haskins was a big accomplishment and feel positive about the team's trajectory. A 9-7 season with Case would leave me nonplussed, especially since Case is a one year rental and the team has to start over again no matter what next year. In fact, if Case does well then the Redskins can't afford him and if he does lousy then the Redskins haven't proved anything.

I still wouldn't Haskins. I don't think he's ready and I don't think the o-line is settled. That said, it's a lot easier to prove a team with a rookie QB is on the upswing than a vet team.

I 100% agree. We aren't winning the superbowl this year. Let's get our young guys gelling. The only concern I have is protection for haskins. I would like to think a good staff could do that by scheming. 

24 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Guy has thrown 33 picks and fumbled 17 times in the last 3 seasons. There is no way he magically loses that trait behind this O line 

33 picks in 3 seasons is not a lot, at all.

In fact, that's an average of 11 per season, which is actually excellent.

Just one more pick than Tom Brady's average of 10 per season.

33 minutes ago, mexaskin said:

I 100% agree. We aren't winning the superbowl this year. Let's get our young guys gelling. The only concern I have is protection for haskins. I would like to think a good staff could do that by scheming. 

young guys gelling doesn't work for qbs imo, especially ones as green as Haskins. Dude is the golden child of prospects you want holding a clipboard for a year or two. There is no reason to rush this

Can't lie, this is exactly what I was hoping for. My dream scenario (much as I want to vomit saying it) is the Giants in '04 with Eli. They had a veteran starter in Kurt Warner, let him play for about half a season, then brought in Eli about midway. If I'm remembering right, it was criticized at the time because 1-People wanted Eli to start right away and 2-when Eli went in the Giant were just barely above .500 and hanging around in the playoff race. Eli came in, the team tanked, but he got his lumps and some experience.

With a week 10 bye, I've been hoping for the same thing. Case/Colt (before we knew Colt's recovery was botched and he's still a no-go) would be the starter, would play at LEAST half the season, hopefully to the bye, and then Haskins gets a chance. I'll admit up front in the odd event it happens, I'll even be ok with giving up on a decent (.500ish) season at the bye if it means the rookie can get some real experience for next year. They wouldn't make this mistake of throwing Haksins to the wolves week 1 and hoping for the best just because.

Now sure, it would be nice if Case played pretty well on what is essentially a 1 year deal and some QB desperate team overpays him and we parlay that Denver pick into a higher comp pick as a result, but that's just a nice fantasy for me at this point.

15 minutes ago, GhostofSparta said:

Can't lie, this is exactly what I was hoping for. My dream scenario (much as I want to vomit saying it) is the Giants in '04 with Eli. They had a veteran starter in Kurt Warner, let him play for about half a season, then brought in Eli about midway. If I'm remembering right, it was criticized at the time because 1-People wanted Eli to start right away and 2-when Eli went in the Giant were just barely above .500 and hanging around in the playoff race. Eli came in, the team tanked, but he got his lumps and some experience.

With a week 10 bye, I've been hoping for the same thing. Case/Colt (before we knew Colt's recovery was botched and he's still a no-go) would be the starter, would play at LEAST half the season, hopefully to the bye, and then Haskins gets a chance. I'll admit up front in the odd event it happens, I'll even be ok with giving up on a decent (.500ish) season at the bye if it means the rookie can get some real experience for next year. They wouldn't make this mistake of throwing Haksins to the wolves week 1 and hoping for the best just because.

Now sure, it would be nice if Case played pretty well on what is essentially a 1 year deal and some QB desperate team overpays him and we parlay that Denver pick into a higher comp pick as a result, but that's just a nice fantasy for me at this point.

Eli was sort of born ready to start in an nfl offense though

Not that everyone doesn't already understand this, but let's break it down...

2 journeyman QBs and a rookie. No WRs that strike fear in defenses. Concussed tight end (best receiving option) who never plays a full season anyway.

We are looking pretty one-dimensional, friends. 😐

Archived