Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: STATEMENT BY SONNY JURGENSEN ON RETIREMENT #REDSKINS

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

August 8, 2019

STATEMENT BY SONNY JURGENSEN ON RETIREMENT:

"I've decided to hang up my headphones and my clipboard. It's been a great 55 years in Washington. I want to thank our Redskin fans for being so generous to me and our teams, we owe it all to you. I've had so many wonderful memories of thousands of teammates I've played with and talked about during my years in radio and television in Washington D.C. The relationships with coaches and executives over the 50 years like Bill McPeak, Otto Graham, Edward Bennett Williams, Vince Lombardi, Jack Kent Cooke, Joe Gibbs, Bobby Beathard, Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder have been special. My special broadcast partners such as Sam Huff and Frank Herzog and later with Larry Michael, Chris Cooley and Doc Walker on radio and the great TV talents such as Glenn Brenner and George Michael. We lived through the glory years together -- the NFC East championships and five Super Bowls, all great memories. And I would be remiss if I failed to mention my good friend Andy Ockershausen who was responsible for bringing together the original broadcast team of Sonny, Sam and Frank. After 62 years in professional football, I still have my health and wonderful family with a special thanks to my beautiful wife Margo for letting me work the weekends for all those years. I'll always be a fan of professional football and appreciative of all that it has done for me, my family and our city. I'll leave you with these word, Hail to the Redskins!"

One of the very few class moves by the organization- letting Sonny retire when he was ready.  Clearly, with the cluttered broadcast booth and his advancing age, Sonny was becming marginalized.  We all knew it was time, but the organization allowed  the HOFamer to gracefully step aside  when it would have been understandable if they let him go a few years ago.

Hail to #9!

6 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

HoF qb, but possibly an even better announcer.  I was one of the large group that would mute the TV and and put on the radio so that I could hear the Sonny, Sam and Frank broadcast.

Always did that. The tv announcers were garbage.  Much rather listen to sonny Sam and frank  

Sonny IS the reason I am a Redskins fan. In my youth , living in Maine, I peeled the label off a Hi C can and to my delight, on the back was a small Sonny poster. I then started watching Sonny whenever I could. In good times and bad, I still remain a fan. Thanks Sonny !!

Total legend. Thank you, sir! 

As a DC native living away from the area for a long time, tuning in to the radio was always a delight.

In honor of the great one, let me just say, "Now'd be a good time to throw it deep." :)

One of my favorite memories of Sonny - not as a player or even a broadcaster - occurred in the early to mid 2000's during pregame at FedEx Field.  It was a cold, drizzly day and the Skins were on the field going through warm ups.  Sonny, who must have been in his late 60s or early 70s at the time, was down on the field in a trench coat, smoking a  cigar and wandering among the players doing their drills.  He strolled over to the quarterbacks throwing routes to wideouts, and - cigar in mouth - started taking shotgun snaps and firing the ball down field to receivers.  Perfect passes.  As fans started noticing, a buzz in the stands grew to loud cheering.  When that caught his attention, he gave  a sheepish wave and moved on.  It was only four or five passes, and I swear he was nailing receivers in stride.

I remember the first time Sonny picked against the Redskins on Channel 4. Everyone was stunned. Sonny was a homer in the best of ways: Hopeful, idealistic, enthusiastic, and yet realistic.

When I think of him, I like to remember the glory days. He was a part of that ride. I'm a bit too young to remember him as QB, but he carried himself always with dignity, class, and fun.

• TK unpinned this topic

Archived