Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESEASON GAMEDAY THREAD- REDSKINS @BROWNS

SkinsGuy

8 hours ago, dyst said:

What did you think last year after preseason game 1? How about 2017? 2016?

Were you all like “it’s only game one”, then watched them struggle to a 7 win season?

Why would you give THIS team the benefit of doubt?

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt until all the starters are in there and playing and not just one or two.

Should I lose sleep because the Browns starting offense, led by Mayfield and Chubb, whipped up on a bunch of second and third stringers and guys who won't make the team on the first drive?

I won't.

You can overreact if you want. Me? I am going to wait and see.

8 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I didn't see the game, but the box score is ugly. Doesn't appear that anyone played well. Hoping Haskins learns from this. Thankfully he has plenty of time to develop. 

Moreland played very well. He will be a steal in the 7th round.

Holcomb also looked good.

Keenum looked good too, I thought, considering he had no OL protection.

Preseason or not this team looked as awful as the team that took the field week 14 last season against the Giants. 

There is zero chemistry here. Discipline is severely lacking with all the penalties, something that has killed this team in big games and situations for a long time. Again it is easy to blame this on it being pre-season and only the first game at that but we have all seen this before during the regular season for many years unfortunately. 

I have never taken any interest in a pre-season game; check that.

Back in the early 80's, I think it was 83' { I'm still half asleep }, a pre-season game against the 49ers. THAT game I wanted the Redskins to win.

I don't take any stock into a pre-season game because everything is toned down, simplified, and just trying to get the players familiarized with contact.

But, I can't help of thinking of a perfect gif for the Redskins this game; in the movie Red 2, the chase scene where this little car going down a narrow path, eventually getting wedged between 2 buildings.

We're all in the Hindenburg, no point in fighting over a window seat...

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Something I'll never quite grasp is equating penalties to a lack of discipline.  As if the players commit penalties, because the head coach doesn't care about them.  Most penalties are committed because a player is beat.  Simple as that.  

The discipline aspect is more for pre-snap penalties.  

29 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Something I'll never quite grasp is equating penalties to a lack of discipline.  As if the players commit penalties, because the head coach doesn't care about them.  Most penalties are committed because a player is beat.  Simple as that.  

If our offensive line is getting beat before the snap on false starts, I think we should be very, very scared.

34 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As said above, discipline speaks to the pre-snap penalties, but it also does speak to in-game ones at times.  A player who is slow off the ball, doesn't really understand the play, does the wrong thing (takes a wrong step) can lead to them getting beat and force the desperation penalty. How many missed blocks happen because the player isn't where they are supposed to be or someone chooses the wrong man to take on? In those cases, you're more likely to see a bad play or a penalty because bad discipline put the players out of position.

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

Should I lose sleep because the Browns starting offense, led by Mayfield and Chubb, whipped up on a bunch of second and third stringers and guys who won't make the team on the first drive?

I’m with you. That first drive, I saw our entire secondary and LBs back peddle at the snap and was thinking this was Manusky wanting to keep the plays in front. No press. No blitzes. No first string. 

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

Moreland played very well. He will be a steal in the 7th round.

I’m going to throw a little cold water on this statement. No doubt he played heroic on the goal line and had that strip on Hyman in the 2nd half, But he gave up 5-6 catches for 15-20 yards a piece. He was clearly picked on. The first TD was on Moreland, too. I’ll have to go back and watch the game again and compile the number of catches and yards Moreland yielded as it looked like a lot. 

29 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If our offensive line is getting beat before the snap on false starts, I think we should be very, very scared.

Well, I am very, very scared about that.  Because in way they are beat before the snap, mentally.  After the snap, they are beat physically.

But that said, I was more talking about discipline from the coaches standpoint.  A lot of times when it gets talked about here and on the radio by fans, it's directed at the coach like he should be making players drop and give him 20, and the false starts will go away.  I get it from the standpoint of self discipline on the player, but it's not like the coaches are high-fiving their lack of self discipline.  

FWIW I missed the first few mins and the whole second half, my takes:

-OL is worse than my already low expectations. Sure, a few starters didn't suit up, but the Browns DL >>>> our OL. TW couldn't have played his cards more perfectly. Bruce needs to either pay the man (if that's what it is) or trade him. TW sitting on the bench all year is worst case scenario. It oddly brings back memories of Kirk playing his second year under the franchise tag where we all knew it wasn't going to be a Redskins-friendly ending. 

-Tim Settle, where you at? I heard he was having a great camp, but saw nothing out of him. He couldn't beat their 2s and 3s. 

-Perine bad

-Holcomb is very promising. I can see him panning out to be a Zac Brown with a high football IQ... which would be a very solid player. Kid just needs to pack on a couple more lbs.

-Moreland looked solid, but size will always be an issue. He seems perfectly built to cover the slot.

-Ryan Anderson dominated 2s and 3s, but he did the same thing last pre-season... Expectations are tempered.

-I saw the Haskins picks, but before that he was looking really good. Fit a couple in tight windows, threw the ball downfield effortlessly, moved in the pocket. One pick was a touch pass that he just missed and the other pick was a poor decision. He's a rookie, his playbook familiarity and decision making will improve with his acclimation to this level/team, so I'm not down on him at all. 

My NFL gamepass sneakily auto-renewed, so I plan on rewatching and hopefully can find some other glimmers of hope. 

On Finlay’s Redskins Talk Pod, Cooley gave his goat of the game (Goat in this context is bad) to Jay for not “playing his guys,” especially on offense and especially at receiver.  Said if you’ve got new QBs, use the time to get them work in game situations.

Cooley might be in the pocket of the team, but when he is critical about the program as a whole he’s typically spot on. 

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

On Finlay’s Redskins Talk Pod, Cooley gave his goat of the game (Goat in this context is bad) to Jay for not “playing his guys,” especially on offense and especially at receiver.  Said if you’ve got new QBs, use the time to get them work in game situations.

Cooley might be in the pocket of the team, but when he is critical about the program as a whole he’s typically spot on. 

That's been an extremely valid criticism of Norval Gruden's entire tenure in Ashburn. He is awful at getting these teams prepared and it all starts in the preseason. Then they come out flat Week 1 and everyone wonders why... I mean, they should be fresh, right? LOL! Gruden doesn't get them anywhere near enough preseason reps to even get in a groove.

4 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

That's been an extremely valid criticism of Norval Gruden's entire tenure in Ashburn. He is awful at getting these teams prepared and it all starts in the preseason. Then they come out flat Week 1 and everyone wonders why... I mean, they should be fresh, right? LOL! Gruden doesn't get them anywhere near enough preseason reps to even get in a groove.

In fairness they did have a good week 1 last year.  Week 2 was when they sucked.  

... But they were playing the worst team in the league in week 1....

EDIT: I’m not even entirely sure it’s all Jay’s decision on who to play and when.  Some of this could be dictated from el presidete...

41 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He did the same **** last year with Smith.  No development of chemistry in real game situations.  You know you do what the Browns did. You stick a couple of your number 1's in their with your starting QB, in our case, potential starting QB, for possession or two and then remove them.  But you got to get the timing down. 

44 minutes ago, carex said:

I think, when you have as many injuries as we do, extra game time is not something to be appreciated or hoped for.

If our starters are going to go on IR after only 2 drives, I'd rather weed them out now than during the regular season lol

3 hours ago, carex said:

I think, when you have as many injuries as we do, extra game time is not something to be appreciated or hoped for.

Cooley actually said it was more important to get chemistry rather than keeping a guy healthy, because if there is no chemistry, then him being out there is useless anyway.  

I think clearly if a player has an injury or is coming back from an injury, you sit them.  However if the player is healthy, then play.  

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Isnt that what Trents upset about? Our crappy medical staff?

We have no idea what Trent’s actual beef is.  And if you’re to believe what Kevin Sheehan has said, the medical staff told him to get the head checked out 2 years ago.  

Archived