Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports.com: In his first post-injury interview, Alex Smith says 'the plan' is to return to football

TK

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/in-his-first-postinjury-interview-alex-smith-says-the-plan-is-to-return-to-football-144340708.html

In his first post-injury interview, Alex Smith says 'the plan' is to return to football

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/in-his-first-postinjury-interview-alex-smith-says-the-plan-is-to-return-to-football-144340708.html

In the seven months since his devastating leg injury against the Houston Texans, Washington quarterback Alex Smithhas been largely silent.

On November 18, Smith broke the tibia and fibula in his right leg, and the situation was complicated further after he reportedly fought a post-surgery infection.

Smith has done his first interview since the injury, but it’s not exactly the traditional sit-down: he met with Fox 5 DC’s Angie Goff in a shopping mall, where the pair got massages, and they talked with their faces pushed through the padded rests.

Not quite the soft focus, perfect lighting setup we’re used to, but it may have been better - Smith has never been big on interviews, and seemed more relaxed. He and Goff even played a bit of dodgeball in the middle of the mall.

The 35-year-old offered some details into his recovery and said “the plan” is for him to play football again.

‘The first four months were really, really hard’

Washington quarterback Alex Smith, center right, did his first interview since his devastating leg injury last November 18. (AP)

Washington quarterback Alex Smith, center right, did his first interview since his devastating leg injury last November 18. (AP)

Smith told Goff that on the day they met, he had played golf in the morning, done his physical therapy and gotten a workout.

“This might be my most active day since the injury,” he said.

The progress he’s made in the last few months has been great.

“The last three months have definitely been life-changing - in a sense of, I’ve been able to start driving, I can work out, I’m off crutches. The first four months were really, really hard,” Smith said, adding it was both a physical and mental struggle. “Just to be in a wheelchair for as long as I was. When you have independence and then lose it... That was the hardest part.”

When Goff noted that Smith seems to always be smiling, he downplayed the idea that he’s preternaturally positive.

“I think like most people I’m trying to get through each day, you know? Try not to get caught up...how far down the line. It’s crazy looking and it sucks what happened, but at the same time, there’s people out there that have it way worse,” he said. “Stuff happens to everybody, life happens, and this is just a time for me to obviously be tested and have this challenge in front of me and how can I handle it?”

‘It comes from Siberia’

Smith’s lower right leg is encased in an external fixator, a metal frame that is affixed to his bones to keep them in place. He said it’s saving his leg.

“I’ve got this crazy contraption that nobody’s ever seen before on my leg that comes from like Siberia,” Smith said.

(Though it’s unclear if Smith’s device is from Siberia, it was apparently created by a physician from there.)

“But, believe it or not, this thing’s going to save leg, save my bone, and so allow me to heal and walk again and hopefully play football again,” he said.

The fixator will be in place for 4-to-6 more weeks.

‘That’s the plan’

Once it is removed, Smith can start the process of potentially getting back into playing condition.

“I start jogging, jumping, running,” he said.

Playing football again?, Goff asked.

“That’s the plan,” Smith said. “Steps. I’ve got to conquer some more steps before I get there, but, yeah - learn to run again, that’s a big one. I’m already throwing, I feel like throwing’s not a problem, I feel like I can throw.

“Dropping, moving around, change of direction...the steps I’m at right now are lifestyle steps. I’m still working on playing basketball with my kids, running around after my daughter. There’s all those things I have to conquer anyway [before] I get there that I’m walking on a field.

“I’m looking forward to it, I’m excited about that challenge. The stronger I get every week, the more I do, the more hopeful I am that that’s a real possibility.”

Though there is still a way to go, Smith has been progressing well, overcoming numerous hurdles.

“I swear I do stuff every week or two weeks with my physical therapist that definitely surprise me, that I didn’t think I could do. Sometimes they’re physical obstacles but a lot of times - I’d be lying if I didn’t say they were mental obstacles, things with my leg that I just don’t trust it yet but I realize I’ve healed quite a bit, I’m further along than I think,” Smith said.

“Those are always nice, like when those big ones happen, I feel good. That trust in my leg coming back, sometimes you have to do those things to get that trust back.”

You can watch the full interview here:

Good for Alex.

Even if he never plays again in the NFL, I hope he recovers fully and enjoys a good life.

He could be a good mentor to Haskins this season, though I don't know how much he will be around practice or games on Sundays.

I posted some time after his injury that no one should count this guy out because of the seriousness of his injury because Smith like others that have gotten the far in an athletic career are very driven, focused, goal oriented men that are capable of overcoming immense obstacles.  I don't know if it will be in 2019 or 2020 but I think he will suit up and play again. 

still, at that age, with that injury I'm not sure if anyone would want him

I suppose if 2020 really is an uncapped year it'd be good for him.  The Skins could either cut him and allow someone else to pick him up cheap, or afford to keep him as a backup since I think Keenum is only on a one year deal

Alex Smith is a true warrior.  I have to admit I was  doubtful about Alex returning to play professional  football. The man has the will and the desire to suit up and play.

Alex Smith still has a long road in front of him. As a Redskin fan , if and I  say IF , Alex can make a push to be a starter. this situation would put the Skins in a interesting situation.

If Alex can re establish his presence on the field, would the Skins coaching staff open the field of competition between the quarterback group?.

I know Alex is a little long in tooth,  but I would prefer for Smith to mentor Haskins..I know Snyder would prefer to start Haskins and show off the future QB .

But the Skins still owe Smith a ton of money and if Smith can still lead the offense down the field and mentor Haskins at the same time this would pay large dividens

I Know my statement refers to a lot of IF,s, and unknown scenarios, but if Smith is healthy and a viable option why not let Haskins sit and learn. Hail

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Or a QB coach. 

Yeah I think he's going to make a fantastic coach once he's retired from playing. 

Very happy for him that he's progressing well. I still really doubt that he'll ever step on an NFL field again though, but you never know. The very earliest he'll be remotely ready to play is 2020 and he'll be 36 when the season starts, coming off of a devastating injury, and not having played in a year and a half. And that's if his rehab doesn't hit any other snags. 

I'm also assuming Haskins will be the starter in 2020 anyway. But I don't think we can realistically release Smith until 2021. So if he can play in 2020 he'll be a $21 million backup unless he's somehow willing to renegotiate his contract, but seems unlikely. 

I'm obviously pleased to see that Alex is on the road to recovery and I wish him all the best, but I doubt that he ever plays again. That was a horrific injury, and even if he was 15 years younger I would still question the possibility of a return.  He's still got some big hurdles to overcome, both physical and mental.

Whatever he truly believes, he's not going to openly say that he doesn't think he will play again. I would imagine from a purely financial standpoint, it wouldn't be beneficial to him saying it either.

If he can use the thought of a return as extra motivation to recovery then great, I just don't see it happening.

I hope this man recovers 100%. Smith is a great guy, but at the end of the day. He's better to call it a career. It's not worth the risk of his health. Not to mention he would probably be released and a FA again. 

I would love to see him worked into our coaching staff. I think he would be a great coach. I just think his days of throwing the ball in the NFL are over.

I genuinely believe that Smith wants to play again, though wanting to play and being physically able to are different things. Plus there's the legal/practical aspect to the whole situation. If Smith is not trying to come back, then he retires and likely doesn't get a lot of the money on that contract he signed. So he needs to at least make a good faith effort to come back to collect that paycheck. I doubt he starts again for the Redskins, but I guess you can never say never.

24 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I'm glad the guy's spirits are up, but he's lucky just to be able to retain his leg and walk at this point. 0% chance football is in his practical future.

With the money he's raking in, I'm no medical expert, but I gotta think he can afford the best possible medical care, to give him the best possible chance of recovery.

Although, if we learned anything from TW situation, he may be confined to seeing the Redskins' doctors.

2 hours ago, Acworth skins fan said:

Would like to know how TW was only allowed to see the Redskin medical staff. Link?

He was not. All players can get a second, third or more opinions, and often do. Any report that says he was limited to Redskins doctors is false. 

Now he may have trusted them and decided not to seek outside opinions and now wished he had. But players cannot be stopped from seeing their own doctors. 

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

He was not. All players can get a second, third or more opinions, and often do. Any report that says he was limited to Redskins doctors is false. 

Now he may have trusted them and decided not to seek outside opinions and now wished he had. But players cannot be stopped from seeing their own doctors. 

Thanks, but I knew that. Was replying to a previous post. 😀

Archived