Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Yes, you’ve figured us out. We don’t care if Iran nukes Miami. 

I’m just gonna assume the fact that ignored my question like three times you have no plan for the Middle East and are instead wasting my time and yours calling me racist because you don’t like me pointing out what could inevitably happen to the ME if they don’t stabilize soon.  Awesome. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Just now, bearrock said:

So what are the two choices?

Use your imagination.

Just now, bearrock said:

Considering how fast Europe changed from the locus of perpetual bloodbath (spanning more than a millennia) to long period of peace, are you ready to pull the plug on ME ever progressing?  (And while some are stuck in the dark ages, that's obviously not true for everyone.)

I'm ready for a plan that is something other than dedicating lives and money to a helpless situation.

I'd be A-OK with us just leaving the area and letting it become whatever it becomes.

I'm A-OK with quite a few ideas.  I just don't like continuing down the path that's proven to be pointless and has high costs of lives and money. Like immigration, it's easier for our leaders to give meaningless speeches and throw band-aids around every now and then, than it is to actually tackle the problem.

And we, as population, seem content with band-aids and meaningless speeches (even though we say we're not)

7 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I’m just gonna assume the fact that ignored my question like three times you have no plan for the Middle East and are instead wasting my time and yourself calling me racist because you don’t like me pointing out what could inevitably happen to the ME if they don’t stabilize soon.  Awesome. 

The military Industrial complex along with major oil and gas companies would never let the ME get totally wiped out. Not to mention wiping out that size region would require nuclear weapons which would have a bit of a side effect on the rest of the world. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 2

also, to focus on something different, it's hard to imagine the trump admin a) did this because it was the best move, and b) took all the necessary precautions (including fully understanding the ramifications of an action like this) before proceeding

100% chance this was a fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants move.

• Like 3

I am not going to blame, criticize or congratulate Trump because this is 50+ years of failed policy continuing what seems to be a never-ending downward spiral. 

Everyone is a loser in the ME cluster****. The American public that will bear the burden of insane levels of defense spending for generations. The people of the ME who are the #1 victims of radical Islamists. The Europeans who face migration crises every time a new ME country gets sucked into the endless wars. 

This is a losing battle for all parties involved until someone finally gives a middle finger to what is now a generational foreign policy failure and gets us out of this mess for good.

I am no longer buying the narrative that things will get worse if we aren’t there. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

One of the first things we should do is get completely off oil from that region. Something we could do but won’t.

Aren't we mostly off of it? I thought the vast majority comes from outside the region

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

That’s what happens when you go there with a rough plan of dealing with a unstable region and then start winging it for decades.  9/11 forced us to deal with a situation we had no plan for nor was it on our immediate radar.  But someone had to pay for the event and that couldn’t wait in the eyes of the public.

What did 9/11 have to do with the Iraq war? You realize it's been almost 20 years since that talking point fizzled and left the earth?

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I am not going to blame, criticize or congratulate Trump because this is 50+ years of failed policy continuing what seems to be a never-ending downward spiral. 

Everyone is a loser in the ME cluster****. The American public that will bear the burden of insane levels of defense spending for generations. The people of the ME who are the #1 victims of radical Islamists. The Europeans who face migration crises every time a new ME country gets sucked into the endless wars. 

This is a losing battle for all parties involved until someone finally gives a middle finger to what is now a generational foreign policy failure and gets us out of this mess for good.

I am no longer buying the narrative that things will get worse if we aren’t there. 

Yup.

When you start to realize it all, the current set of 'solutions' become pointless and just a way to drag out the inevitable.

Eventually everyone will figure it out. The question is when is eventually... we're clearly not there yet.

5 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I tend to agree.  There may be a solution, there may not be solution, who knows.  But I don't think we are part of the solution if there is one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The military Industrial complex along with major oil and gas companies would never let the ME get totally wiped out. Not to mention wiping out that size region would require nuclear weapons which would have a bit of a side effect on the rest of the world. 

One of the first things we should do is get completely off oil from that region. Something we could do but won’t.

So honest question.  Don’t you think if we get off their oil that could make the region more dangerous? For me the oil seems almost like a truce.  If the world completely ducks and thus isolates the ME it seems like that could be taken as a sign we don’t need them and cause them do something drastic to get attention.

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

What did 9/11 have to do with the Iraq war? You realize it's been almost 20 years since that talking point fizzled and left the earth?

Point of entry.  We never had a plan going in except we’re gonna get who ever is responsible because someone needed to pay for what happened.  Once we got into the region we were like who is it we are going after?  Oh we need to rebuild this country? Anything else we want to do while we’re here?  We never had a plan and still don’t. 

As with many major issue, we are caught in a cycle and no one is willing to change. Will the Middle East ever change? I don’t know. Will we ever stop gun violence or obesity or global warming? 

Now I’m depressed.

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

As with many major issue, we are caught in a cycle and no one is willing to change. Will the Middle East ever change? 

Now I’m depressed.

The answer is: When the Middle East wants to change.  That is really all there is too it.  They aren't going to change because "America is flying in with a plane full of freedom to drop on you!"

12 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Point of entry.  We never had a plan going in except we’re gonna get who ever is responsible because someone needed to pay for what happened.  Once we got into the region we were like who is it we are going after?  Oh we need to rebuild this country? Anything else we want to do while we’re here?  We never had a plan and still don’t. 

Maybe the plan should switch to: Get the hell out?

Just now, Springfield said:

So Trump is bombing the ME cause he got impeached.

it should not be underestimated that he’s doing this simply because there’s a longstanding understanding that incumbents with good economies and in the midst of war almost always win re-election

This admin is not beyond using ”because it’ll bump up the polls” to justify attacking a sovereign nation

• Thanks 1