Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

This is pretty typical.  A lot of countries kill Americans and we don't do ****.  Where have you been?

Well I certainly wouldn't call it crossing the line when we kill them back (especially if it is the leadership we target - I always advocate for going after the order givers instead of the peons).

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Maybe this was his plan to fill his campaign promise of getting our troops out.

For the third or fourth time at least.

3 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Well I certainly wouldn't call it crossing the line when we kill them back (especially if it is the leadership we target - I always advocate for going after the order givers instead of the peons).

I'm sure they view it as not following the unspoken rules of the way things have been done and thus will respond accordingly.  But we will see. 

It's good that he's dead, but I hope we have some long term plan here that's actually coherent.  Kind of doubt it though.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nonniey said:

On principle, it's certainly justifiable.  We just better be prepared to fight a lot of wars....

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

are the reports about new strikes false or?? i didn’t read anything about them on cnn...

The strike on the Iraqi militia convoy has been confirmed, but it's unclear who we killed or if anyone important was in it.  Nothing else has been confirmed right now.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, visionary said:

For the third or fourth time at least.

I'm sure they view it as not following the unspoken rules of the way things have been done and thus will respond accordingly.  But we will see. 

It's good that he's dead, but I hope we have some long term plan here that's actually coherent.  Kind of doubt it though.

Never have seen this administration have a plan for much of anything. They seem to spend much of their time in coverup mode.

Edited by Skintime

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Can anyone with knowledge of the region shed some light as to what extent the Shia in Iraq are pro-Iran?  Is there a possibility of full fledged civil war in Iraq between Shia, Sunni and Kurds ? 

Unlikely there will be more civil war than already exists there.

the shia(who are the majority) there tend towards Iran, but it is not as simple as that.

it might get interesting if evidence of the alleged coup plot is forthcoming.

49 minutes ago, visionary said:

This is pretty typical.  A lot of countries kill Americans and we don't do ****.  Where have you been?

It’s typical for the US to ignore a known individual that has repeatedly organized strikes against Americans?  I’m not sold on that.  Especially not when that person leaves their own country and enters an area with a US military presence. I’m pretty sure drones have been dropping bombs for a whole lot less than that for years now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Can anyone with knowledge of the region shed some light as to what extent the Shia in Iraq are pro-Iran?  Is there a possibility of full fledged civil war in Iraq between Shia, Sunni and Kurds ? 

They are pro-Iran due to the religious connection.  At the same time, Iraqis are Arabs, whereas Iranians are not.  On the other hand, Kurds and Persians are ethnically connected (this is the Indo-Iranian connection).  

If Kurds were forced to choose between Arabs and Iranians, they would chose Iranians.

The odd one out here appear to be the Sunnis.

Iran has a big Kurdish population, approximately 6 million.  I don't see them asking to separate as much as we see in Turkey.

My previous boss was an Assyrian Christian from Iran.  He told me that people of all ethnicities got along well in Iran.  Of course this was in the early 90's.  You could find Jews, Christians, Muslims, all in the same village.  The benefit of living in the DC region is you meet people from all over the world.  Even rare kinds.  Never thought I would meet an Assyrian from Iran.

It is an absolute truth that the Shiahs are more tolerant than Sunnis.  The Iranians still celebrate their pre-Muslim Zoroastrian holiday (Nowruz)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowruz

Eh let's not assume that Shia in Iraq all support Iran.  A lot of young people of various sects have been dying in protests against Iranian influence and corruption the past few months.  There have been protests in Iran against the government as well.  And we've seen in other countries where most people are the same sect that there are political issues causing revolutions as well.  But we also shouldn't assume that those who hate Iran are comfortable with us acting like we can do whatever we want in Iraq with no repercussions.  The next day should be very telling in how people in Iraq and those in charge there and in Iran respond.  There likely won't be any coordinated attacks yet though.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Destino said:

It’s typical for the US to ignore a known individual that has repeatedly organized strikes against Americans?  I’m not sold on that.  Especially not when that person leaves their own country and enters an area with a US military presence. I’m pretty sure drones have been dropping bombs for a whole lot less than that for years now.

This isn't a terrorist leader.  He's the military leader of a recognized country.  It's an obvious act of war.  Which is fine if that's what you intend.  But let's not kid ourselves about what the act means.

FWIW, Trump and his admin isn't trying to justify this as retribution for past acts (because to have leaders of individual countries act as judge, jury, and executioner of a military leader of another UN country opens up a whole new can of worms.  Unless, you know, it's war).  They are hinging it on claims of imminent threat of future harm about to be perpetrated by Soliemani.

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

This isn't a terrorist leader.  He's the military leader of a recognized country.  It's an obvious act of war.  Which is fine if that's what you intend.  But let's not kid ourselves about what the act means.

I mean, I'd argue he's sort of both.  Something akin to the CIA, Blackwater, AQ, and the Defense Department rolled into one.

Edited by visionary

13 minutes ago, visionary said:

I mean, I'd argue he's sort of both.  Something akin to the CIA, Blackwater, AQ, and the Defense Department rolled into one.

Yeah, that's true.  It's state sponsored terrorism.  I can see the argument for going after Iran for their sponsoring of terror activities, but it would be naive to think that we can kill Soliemani without such act being considered an act of war against Iran.  You can declare war against Iran.  You just better be damn sure that's what you mean to do.

15 minutes ago, bearrock said:

So THIS is an obvious act of war?  What then do we call it when a military leader from a recognized country organizes attacks on US civilians and military?  

I’m struggling to see how that asshole killing Americans is somehow acceptable but Americans killing him is unreasonable.

• Like 3