Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

Am I the only one that doesnt think that this is that crazy a move from Trump?  Im not saying I would advise this, Im generally not a pro-assassination type of person, but all in all, my only really worry about this move is that itll succeed in helping Trump's reelection chances by shoring up his support from establishment republicans (i.e. military/industrial complex), and giving his base their scheduled dose of dead muslims.  It also throws a bone to his favorite but somewhat ailing ally -- MBS.

Iran's options are pretty limited here, really what can they do?   It has to respond in some way to save face, but the response has to be limited to ensure that the U.S. is left with the option of not going to all out war.  All out war is not an option, because they will lose, and they know it.  This immediately precludes any action that likely leads to all out war, such as shutting down the straight of Hormuz, or a massive attack that shuts down oil installations for a prolonged period of time.   I doubt that any high level Americans are within Iran's reach.  They could go for a Saudi prince, but thats a confused response unlikely to satisfy the "revenge' calls. 

Iran cant enlist the support of its allies to join them in a direct conflict with the U.S.  We all know that this assassination never happens without the implicit approval of the most powerful man in the world -- Vladmir Putin -- so that take's Russia off the table.  The Iranians are left with China.  And China is not going to war with U.S. on behalf of anyone, period.   

I also think that the Iranian regime -- which is only concerned about its own survival -- is unlikely to risk that by putting themselves in the crosshairs, so again, no all out war.  I also believe that whenever the number two most powerful man in a country is assassinated, the number one and formerly-number-three most powerful men are pretty happy, though they can never admit it.  I know Khamenei supposedly liked or trusted this guy, but then again maybe he was getting too powerful and Khamenei took heed of what happened with Sissi and Morsi in Egypt.  So with the now-two-most-powerful men in Iran secretly smiling, Irans not doing anything bat**** crazy.        

Edited by Koala

They've had 40 years to plan, and technology has advanced in that time. They're already hacking websites, doing the things that don't kill, just cripple. (For metaphors' sake, the 9/11 attacks didn't "kill" the US, but they crippled us terribly.) 

Edited by skinsmarydu
syntax error

7 hours ago, twa said:

A Nobel peace prize nominee sound better?

if you can't get past your idea the Shia and Sunni can't work together we are wasting our time.

I looked up his nomination for nobel prize.  First, the Nobel Prize does not confirm nomination for 50 years.  Second, the guy claiming to have nominated the author above also claimed to have nominated John Bolton.

Reading about him, he has an agenda.

Anyway, how does this guy know more than everybody else when it comes to Benghazi? Trying to link Iran to Benghazi is just conspiracy theory similar to Pence linking Iran to 9/11.

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

They've had 40 years to plan, and technology has advanced in that time. They're already hacking websites, doing the things that don't kill, just cripple. (For metaphors' sake, the 9/11 attacks didn't "kill" the US, but they crippled us terribly.) 

They can cripple us that way, but keep in mind that they have tested some of their missiles against Isis. So those missiles may work against the United States.

We can already see that war against Iran will end up being a war against Iraq as well due to the militia backed by Iran.  Then we have groups like Hezbollah as well.

• Like 1

As to various discussions of, let's call it "conventional war"?  

1)  Does Iran have the ability to defeat the US military, in the sense of conquering the US?  That's not even a funny joke.  

2)  Does Iran have the ability to make the US conquering Iran cost more than the US is willing to pay?  Absolutely.  While the US military has awesome capabilities, the amount which the American populace are willing to expend is vastly smaller, in terms of lives, expense, and time.  

3)  And let's face it.  If there's conflict between the US and Iran?  It isn't going to involve lines of troops marching in straight lines and conquering territory.  It's not going to be "conventional war".  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Does Iran have the ability to make the US conquering Iran cost more than the US is willing to pay?  Absolutely.  While the US military has awesome capabilities, the amount which the American populace are willing to expend is vastly smaller, in terms of lives, expense, and time.

This right here is the problem.  We will no doubt win the war, but what about casualty?  How long will it go?  

The United States is struggling in Iraq and Afghanistan.  What will it mean if another country is added to the mix?

Furthermore, what will the cost be?  The deficit is high as it is due to Trump's tax cuts. The economy may be affected.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

This right here is the problem.  We will no doubt win the war, but what about casualty?  How long will it go?  

The United States is struggling in Iraq and Afghanistan.  What will it mean if another country is added to the mix?

Furthermore, what will the cost be?  The deficit is high as it is due to Trump's tax cuts. The economy may be affected.  

I saw the Selective Service government website crashed yesterday. I'm guessing young men turning 20-25 years old this year are starting to look at the draft rules & their own options. 

If I'm the media, I'm asking Republican congress-peeps when the US needs to start adding bodies to the military to support all of these battles. **** will get real when the gen pop realizes little Joey is going to war for the White House Inhabitant. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Larry said:

As to various discussions of, let's call it "conventional war"?  

1)  Does Iran have the ability to defeat the US military, in the sense of conquering the US?  That's not even a funny joke.  

2)  Does Iran have the ability to make the US conquering Iran cost more than the US is willing to pay?  Absolutely.  While the US military has awesome capabilities, the amount which the American populace are willing to expend is vastly smaller, in terms of lives, expense, and time.  

3)  And let's face it.  If there's conflict between the US and Iran?  It isn't going to involve lines of troops marching in straight lines and conquering territory.  It's not going to be "conventional war".  

We'd have to conquer and stay there forever. What's the cost of that? Afghanistan and Iraq didn't ready shown us that? If we left the Middle East today, they'd turn on each other. They'd go after Saudi Arabia an then Israel. Anything Nuclear would turn that region radioactive within years. 

Spoiler

I keep wondering about how hardened Mar a Lago really is? How hard would it be to set up a sniper who could get a shot at a golfing President? I'm not sure if Iran would do it or attempt it because the aftermath would be devastating regardless of success or failure, but I can't help but think that a golf course is a really hard place to harden.

Probably the greatest immediate danger though is cyber warfare. We know our banks, utilities, and industries are vulnerable. Iran could do tremendous damage and cause havoc to our system without firing a shot.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

We'd have to conquer and stay there forever. What's the cost of that? Afghanistan and Iraq didn't ready shown us that? If we left the Middle East today, they'd turn on each other. They'd go after Saudi Arabia an then Israel. Anything Nuclear would turn that region radioactive within years. 

I am no expert on radiation, but let's say we nuke Iran.  Will some of that radiation travel to Europe? Europe isn't too far. India and Pakistan are pretty close by. Russia is right there. China not too far.  Iran seems to be in the middle of everywhere.

So, we can assume some sort of military action from Iran at this point.  A lot of people here were not a fan of the strike, but, we are here now so wanting the strike is irrelevant to what we do next.

What is the amount of American soldiers you are willing to accept as “fair” for the Generals life. Eg, what is a number you would accept that would not demand a US response? 

I understand the question is complicated because a US responsible will ultimately end up costing more US soldiers their lives, but, i’m just wondering if you were Trump at this point and Iran fires missiles at your bases and killed a number of your soldiers, how would you respond?

At this point the initial decision to strike is irrelevant, so there’s no point in debating it, it already happened.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Skintime said:

All of them are such buffoons, and they are the ones that are supposed to protect us.

i always laughed at the "adults in the room will stop Trump from doing anything reckless and stupid"

and now they will go out to pretend this was some well thought decision, while simultaneously telling us to trust of the words of the man who has lies more than any human being on this planet.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

I am no expert on radiation, but let's say we nuke Iran.  Will some of that radiation travel to Europe? Europe isn't too far. India and Pakistan are pretty close by. Russia is right there. China not too far.  Iran seems to be in the middle of everywhere.

I assume radiation from the Middle East would find its way to Europe and Africa. I'm no expert either.

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

If we have to be kicked out of Iraq by their government, so be it. The only response to this escalating madness is for the public to demand that we cut the BS and get out of there once and for all. But it seems like the “anti-globalist” GOP voter, who routinely votes for globalist war mongers, is quietly falling back in line to support increasing military activity AGAIN.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1