Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

6 hours ago, Koala said:

Am I the only one that doesnt think that this is that crazy a move from Trump?  Im not saying I would advise this, Im generally not a pro-assassination type of person, but all in all, my only really worry about this move is that itll succeed in helping Trump's reelection chances by shoring up his support from establishment republicans (i.e. military/industrial complex), and giving his base their scheduled dose of dead muslims.  It also throws a bone to his favorite but somewhat ailing ally -- MBS.

Honestly, I don't think this helps Trump at all. Hell, in our 24 hour news cycle, even wars is fleeting news. The only thing that will really make any push on the airwaves will be the causalities on both sides. Also, you combine the never ending comparisons to Iraq (another, made up, republican war) being pounding by the media...I don't see this overtly helping Trump.

I just realized something and I don't think I've heard this mentioned anywhere else yet: Iran basically chose our president (Ronnie) in 1980, I think they might choose the next one if the whole situation escalates. I don't care how well people think the economy is doing or how much they love Trump. Once they start feeling the price of oil go up, their allegiance will falter. In 1980, the Ayatollah hated Carter so much, that he held the American hostages until Reagan was elected to spite Carter. The deal to release the hostages was over beforehand, but the Ayatollah didn't want to give Carter the satisfaction of claiming that win.

16 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I just realized something and I don't think I've heard this mentioned anywhere else yet: Iran basically chose our president (Ronnie) in 1980, I think they might choose the next one if the whole situation escalates. I don't care how well people think the economy is doing or how much they love Trump. Once they start feeling the price of oil go up, their allegiance will falter. In 1980, the Ayatollah hated Carter so much, that he held the American hostages until Reagan was elected to spite Carter. The deal to release the hostages was over beforehand, but the Ayatollah didn't want to give Carter the satisfaction of claiming that win.

Iran can disrupt the oil market, but not nearly to the extent that they could in 1979-1980, their share of world’s oil production is much smaller now than it was then. Plus, the effect on the US would be secondary since they export most of their production to Asian countries. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Iran can disrupt the oil market, but not nearly to the extent that they could in 1979-1980, their share of world’s oil production is much smaller now than it was then. Plus, the effect on the US would be secondary since they export most of their production to Asian countries. 

It wouldn't take much, people freak out at the slightest rise in gas prices. God forbid if it were to get anywhere close to three dollars.

And I'm not saying the prices would be less under anyone else, what I'm saying is if the prices go up...well, Trump takes the blame for that one.

Edited by Simmsy

@visionary i didn’t mean it shouldn’t be debated, what i meant was in reference to the question of what would would you do in response to iranian retaliation, don’t debate something that already happened. 

If you don’t think we a should respond, how many soldiers are you willing to sacrifice before your mind is changed?

24 minutes ago, twa said:

the notion the price of oil would be less with a Dem at the helm is amusing.

The ease with which some people dismiss reality if it conflicts with their partisanship is depressing.  

21 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Observing that Iran can affect the price of oil through other means than simply adjusting their own output.  

(Although I'll agree that their power still might be less than it was in '80.  Lots of oil customers, all over the world, now have alternative sources.  I wouldn't instantly dismiss an assertion that the Middle East, as a whole, might have less influence than they used to.)

Edited by Larry

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

The ease with which some people dismiss reality if it conflicts with their partisanship is depressing.  

Observing that Iran can affect the price of oil through other means than simply adjusting their own output.  

(Although I'll agree that their power still might be less than it was in '80.  Lots of oil customers, all over the world, now have alternative sources.  I wouldn't instantly dismiss an assertion that the Middle East, as a whole, might have less influence than they used to.)

Do you think Iraq might jump on board if Iran starts playing the oil game?

3 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

neither one can easily afford to cut supply, Iran is already selling at a discount to a limited market due to sanctions

10 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

My observation of Iran's ability to affect oil prices involved their ability to do things like sink a few tankers in the persian gulf.  They can disrupt the flow of other people's oil than their own.  

12 minutes ago, twa said:

neither one can easily afford to cut supply, Iran is already selling at a discount to a limited market due to sanctions

That could be considered, but if Iran is willing to go to war with us, it doesn't make sense why they would sell us or our allies (boots on the ground allies) oil. I don't know, I don't care anymore for today.

Lets see if Iraq lets UK troops stay, i think that would give us a better image on what they plan to do. They might just want to fart on the US for now or only the US in the near future.

22 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

That could be considered, but if Iran is willing to go to war with us, it doesn't make sense why they would sell us or our allies (boots on the ground allies) oil. I don't know, I don't care anymore for today.

Lets see if Iraq lets UK troops stay, i think that would give us a better image on what they plan to do. They might just want to fart on the US for now or only the US in the near future.

We and our allies don't really need their oil, they could of course try to close the strait and knock out the expensive pipeline (installed because they are asses) bypassing it.

of course that mainly hurts Iraq and their neighbors rather than us

Iraq's moves will be interesting, they begged for us to come back last time ISIS was kicking their ass and knocking on Baghdad's door.

on the other hand we could easily stop all import ,export and refining of Iranian oil