Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

I wish there was a way to measure the boon in international influence Russia and China have gotten over the years. 

I hope this side of the current narrative gets a lot of coverage now that China has swooped right in. Trump is a terrible ****ing POTUS and for a GOP intent on power, they sure manage to lose a lot of it to others.

Edited by Hersh

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

well **** dude :P

what subject in all of human history are you not a knowledgeable authority on? :evil:

fwiw, most auto mechanics who also own the shop i've known are the same way :ols:

i'm busting on twa, but he really does know a lot about a lot of stuff (glass half full)

at least that what he tells me

Wait does he say it like, "I know more about __________ (topic) than anyone else. I'm an expert. Believe me."

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, visionary said:

Israel doesn't want to get dragged into the American assassination of a Hezbollah leader.  Now there's some Grade A irony, there.  (And something that might make a wise man reconsider his actions.)  

Edited by Larry

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I say this alot but I dont understand whats happening. Not in a snarky way but now this is tied into Iraq? ehh?

Soleimani was killed in Iraq, on an access road near the international airport in Baghdad.   The Iraqs view the attack in their homeland as a violation of their sovereignty.  Not to mention that several iraqis were killed as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Saddam maintained control for many years in spite of a 60+% Shiite majority. They seized their chance when we overthrew Saddam but they also had/have a big powerful Shiite neighbor next door. Not so much for the minorities in Iran. In any event, your boy should go for it. Just like with healthcare, it’ll be easy. After all, it’s not like the Iranians have any experience with militia groups and asymmetric warfare or anything. I predict a similar quagmire as Iraq, just with more dead on both sides and probably a recession to boot.

Occupying Iran would be utterly impossible. It has twice the population of Iraq and like 3 and a half times the land mass. Not to mention that its leadership has probably been planning for an occupation/insurgency since 2003. The idea what we would be trying to subdue Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan simultaneously at this late date is insanity of the highest order.

The fear I have with Trump is he doesn't want this and honestly can't run for re-election with this looming over him....but he's also backed himself into a corner.

Watching him negotiate against himself in a military escalation is remarkable.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Per CNN, the CJCOS has said the letter is a mistake and should not have been released and that forces are NOT leaving Iraq.

I was an adviser to the Iraqi officer the letter was addressed to, LTG Amir. (I looked up his picture to be sure).  He was a LTG 9 years ago as well (Deputy IGFC Commander) surprised he hadn't been promoted since then. 

Edited by nonniey

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Per CNN, the CJCOS has said the letter is a mistake and should not have been released and that forces are NOT leaving Iraq.

Just a thought, but I’m wondering if the DoD sent this memo to the Iraqi government to formally honor the parliament’s and PM’s decision to expel the US military (a decision in which all non-Shia members abstained from voting), and behind closed doors, the Iraqi government asked the US to stay. Something the Iraqi government doesn’t have the courage to do outright with the current Shia outrage.

According to Reuter’s, the authenticity of the memo was confirmed by the Iraqis, so an Iraqi official may have leaked the memo to the press.