Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

2 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Just a thought, but I’m wondering if the DoD sent this memo to the Iraqi government to formally honor the parliament’s and PM’s decision to expel the US military (a decision in which all non-Shia members abstained from voting), and behind closed doors, the Iraqi government asked the US to stay. Something the Iraqi government doesn’t have the courage to do outright with the current Shia outrage.....

That would be normal operating procedure by the Iraqis (Which is why the Presidents threats against Iraq were so stupid and highly counter productive).

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1

The letter, penned by Marine two-star general William H. Seely III on Monday and addressed to the Iraqi defense ministry, said that the U.S. military command would be “repositioning forces” in the near future as preparation “for onward movement,” seemingly out of Iraq. 

“We respect your sovereign decision to order our departure.” Seeley added.

Seely and multiple defense officials in Iraq and the Pentagon did not respond to The Daily Beast’s repeated requests for clarification.  

In the aftermath of the Soleimani strike, Iraqi officials told The Daily Beast that U.S. relations with Baghdad were in “real jeopardy.” (“You are strengthening the guys”—the Iranians—“you want to weaken,” one said.) Those concerns became more concrete after Sunday’s vote in the Iraqi parliament, Trump threatened Iraq with its first economic sanctions since the Saddam Hussein era – something that appears to have spooked Iraqi leaders who had already been dealing with large-scale popular protests against corruption, joblessness, lack of services and economic precarity. Prime Minister Adbul-Mahdi, who had championed the ejection of U.S. troops over the weekend, struck a more conciliatory tone in a meeting with U.S. Ambassador Matthew Tueller. Abdul-Mahdi indicated that Iraq would prefer to continue U.S. mentorship of its military while ejecting anti-ISIS combat forces. 

Iraqi sources said their officials fear the economic consequences of an acrimonious U.S. objection, fearing the decimation of their already precarious economy. That would come on top of a potential U.S.-Iran war that would likely see Iraq remain as a battlefield – to say nothing of a  resurgence of ISIS, as jihadis in Iraq have proven themselves resilient. 

Those fears are, for now, the only certainties about the future of the U.S. military in Iraq. 

Edited by visionary

9 hours ago, Llevron said:

I say this alot but I dont understand whats happening. Not in a snarky way but now this is tied into Iraq? ehh?

For years, our policy was to use Iraq as a counterbalance to Iran. In fact, during the Iran/Iraq war, we armed Saddam and the Israelis armed Iran based on the idea that if they were killing each other, they wouldn’t be killing Israelis. Iraq has a sizable Shia majority which was repressed by the Sunni Bathists for years under Saddam. Now, with Iraq as essentially a client state of Iran, or at least a close ally, they are close to being a regional super power. The sanctions and economic incompetence holds them back, but the reach and influence they have across Iraq, Syria and Lebanon is substantial.

9 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Does it really matter? One swarthy guy in a turban looks just like any other. “Kenyan Moozelum!”.

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'm between Stone Mountain and the CDC. 

That was not funny. 

I’d gladly take the risk. I just hope I’m alive long enough to see it dynamited, or whatever it takes to remove that filth from one of our state parks.

• Thanks 1

As hard as it might be to accept, there is and has been a consistent underlying rationale behind the majority of US intervention in the MidEast for the last twenty years. The problem is it isn't a sane one.......

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/1/5/1909619/-Pompeo-Awaiting-the-Rapture-Pushed-Trump-to-Strike-Iranian-General-Soleimani?fbclid=IwAR2L39DlllkAeWGB7an7jjTggflqSyjHtOQqDaxMKpJNwplPgNP9JuNYaNI

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

20 years from now our country (collectively) will have forgotten all about this and when something goes really bad, people will be asking "OMG why do they hate us!?!" all over again.

bro, let’s not pretend Iran was upstanding and we attacked them unprovoked. 

Was it worth it and why now are fair questions, but did he and Iran get what they deserve, no doubt. 

it’s just a shame the guy who made the decision to do it gave zero thought to what happens next.

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

bro, let’s not pretend Iran was upstanding and we attacked them unprovoked. 

Was it worth it and why now are fair questions, but did he and Iran get what they deserve, no doubt. 

it’s just a shame the guy who made the decision to do it gave zero thought to what happens next.

Well, yeah.  This isn't about Iran being awesome.  It is about idiotic foreign policy pushed by an empty suit who doesn't know what he is doing.  Hopefully he is being told about the gravity of the situation behind close doors and can be reigned in now, but I have serious doubts.