Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

25 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

If he officially retires, we lose a ton of leverage,

I don’t think he’s going to retire. If he does that we lose leverage but I don’t think that’s on the cards.

On the flip side, what advantage do you see by sitting and doing nothing?  Do you feel there is a possibility Trent has a change of heart and he comes back and we are better off with an aging Trent instead of the generous trade package that he is rumored to command?  Do you believe we need to wait for a team to suffer an injury along their oline, or maybe have their young guys not meet expectations early on in the season, or a coach/gm on the hot seat overreacting and making a panic trade?

A lot of moving parts in this. Part of what drives the price is the question of will the Redskins really just sit on Williams into the regular season (and will Williams). Teams might be waiting for the Redskins to blink and take a lower offer just to be done. If we get into the regular season it becomes clear we will not blink and they will have to part with someone or something of value to get him. I still think next week is the most likely time this gets resolved some way - but I certainly don’t think his value goes down if he’s still sat out week 1.

if he sits out the whole year - that might be different. I just can’t see that happening one way or another.

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Valid point, I'm glad the skins didn't trade him!!  

I'm not saying it's impossible for a scenario to unfold where it would work out to not pull the trigger now, I just think the odds of us getting a better trade package are better making a move now vs waiting.  We shall see.  In Bruce we trust!!  (I just threw up typing that)

I think that's really the problem. Does anyone outside a few stragglers really think Bruce will handled this correctly? Sorry, but if I were a betting man my money would be all in on Bruce to **** this up. 

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Excellent post all around.  I hadn't heard the p rich to Pitt rumor.  I agree with you, I don't even think he would fetch a 4th, but as someone who has been advocating to cut p rich and start shedding the contract to give the roster spot to one of the young guys, I hope they consider a late pick for him, due to the other benefits from moving on from an overpaid, oft injured player with limited production.

Richardson is still only 27. He's the same age as OBJ and Doctson. I don't think he's as injury prone as people make him out to be. He missed 2015 season but for the most part has played in every game. I doubt he would have gone on IR last year if the team was still in contention. 

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I think that's really the problem. Does anyone outside a few stragglers really think Bruce will handled this correctly? Sorry, but if I were a betting man my money would be all in on Bruce to **** this up. 

Exactly.  That's what bothers me.  But we have no idea to what discussions have taken place, and if any real offers were extended, and what they were.  But Bruce being the captain of this ship makes it easy to envision the possibility that he royally screws this up.

26 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

considering that no one has said anything I say there's no way for that opinion to be formed

3 hours ago, carex said:

considering that no one has said anything I say there's no way for that opinion to be formed

These are two topics that are completely different. What is actually going and anyone with confidence in Bruce.

As for what is actually going on between the two, you are right, n one know what is or has been going on exactly. All we have heard is leaks and a few very cryptic messages. I have said that myself both to people who want to trash Trent and who want to trash the team for how they "are handling this". We do not know what we do not know. 

A completely different topic is in general, mine - and other peoples I believe - confidence that Bruce is/will handle this well. I have virtually no confidence that he is or will handle this correctly. I have virtually every confidence that he will screw this up just like he has for most major - and I stress most an major - decision that has been made since he joined the team. I stress both those because I do not think he has screwed up every major decision - just most of them. 

I said before that I believe Trent is gone either thru trade or what have you. After reading this article, I'm not so sure now. Especially these points... "So are we expected to believe that Williams bailed on his team because the medical staff minimized a benign growth? That’s like saying he’s upset because the medical staff got it right. They told him he was going to be fine and it appears that is the case. A medical misdiagnosis is a big deal. If it had really happened we would know about it. Williams wouldn’t be hush-hush about it and people would have been fired. This seemed like a bogus story when it came out and it still does... Is it possible that Williams and the Redskins agreed that it would benefit him to skip the rigors of OTAs, minicamp, training camp and preseason so that he could come in fresh and rejuvenated to begin the grueling 16 game schedule?"

Or after the first 5 grueling games. Hard to say. If a big trade, or one worth taking were to happen, that would have probably happened by now. Who knows.
https://nflmocks.com/2019/08/23/washington-redskins-trent-williams-report-duty/

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Not picking on you here SIP - but this threw me since it's in the Trent thread. Or maybe I have it wrong and am the only one not getting the connection with Trent - but they are talking about Paul Richardson going to Pittsburgh. The $8M in dead CAP is what caught my attention. Trading TW would be about $5.4M dead cap. It's irrelevant in terms of Trent since they are getting hit with that dead cap anyway unless he plays.

My bad, I had the first, 2nd desire that Finlay said they wanted for Trent in my mind when reading this.  but you are right looks like they are talking Richardson not Trent.  

8 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

I said before that I believe Trent is gone either thru trade or what have you. After reading this article, I'm not so sure now. Especially these points... 

<edit article>

I speculated a while back that Trent might be sitting out because he just didn't want to go through the rigors of a hot, dry, dusty training camp/preseason.

When the last preseason game is over, I guess we'll see what happens.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

The only way Bruce can F this up is to let Trent go for a pick higher in number than 40. You would get a 2nd rd pick in March , that should be the ceiling

1 hour ago, Dirt said:

We've seen plenty of holdouts , but have we ever seen one play out in this "he refuses to play , we refuse to release him" thing and the player just sits in football purgatory?  Someone eventually budges.  Based on the Cousins franchise tag forever thing, im thinking we're the most stubborn team in the league when it comes to things like this.  I want to like it, the idea that we stay strong and won't be pushed around or whatever , but it doesn't seem to be working in our favor.  They should have done something with Cousins sooner than they did, and they need to do something with Trent sooner than later.

I remember Deion doing the same thing to us, he retired because he didn't want any part of this team.

And he came back and played a little bit with the Ravens.

6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I remember Deion doing the same thing to us, he retired because he didn't want any part of this team.

And he came back and played a little bit with the Ravens.

Getting Sanders off this team was a positive however it happened.

15 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

The only way Bruce can F this up is to let Trent go for a pick higher in number than 40. You would get a 2nd rd pick in March , that should be the ceiling

I think you underestimate Bruce's ability to screw up. 

All kidding aside I truly hope you are right. We need to get out of this with minimal damage. Let's see if Bruce is up to it. In fairness, he could be handling this perfectly right now and we just do not know it. But I just do not have a lot of confidence in him. 

Unless the FO gets an offer that is way too good to pass up they should just wait it out. A ****-ton of Players are getting ready to hit the street and my guess is T needy teams will try to pick up leftovers. Wait until the trade deadline to see if teams in contention have injuries and if not then wait until next offseason. I think TW blinks first. 

So if or when Trent is traded, will there be a new thread announcing it, or will they put it in here an change it from OLD to NEW development, or will they put it in here, and forget to change the title and leave it at OLD Development 😄

I just want to know, so I can frequently but quickly scan the front page to see if anything hew has happened.

It's much smarter to try to deal Trent for a 1st now than in March. It's dumb to say that he'll be worth the same then, because by then the team dealing for him will know where their pick is, and it will impact his value--if they even still want him by then. Part of his value being a 1st to a contender (if it even is) like the Texans is that they are in a window with Watson's rookie contract. Wasting a year of Trent does not make him more appealing to a team like that. 

If we move him now, that 1st is also liable to end up anywhere. If Watson busts a leg and that pick is in the top-8, I guarantee they aren't moving it for an old OT in March...but if we get it now, who knows where it could end up. 

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It's much smarter to try to deal Trent for a 1st now than in March. It's dumb to say that he'll be worth the same then, because by then the team dealing for him will know where their pick is, and it will impact his value--if they even still want him by then. Part of his value being a 1st to a contender (if it even is) like the Texans is that they are in a window with Watson's rookie contract. Wasting a year of Trent does not make him more appealing to a team like that. 

If we move him now, that 1st is also liable to end up anywhere. If Watson busts a leg and that pick is in the top-8, I guarantee they aren't moving it for an old OT in March...but if we get it now, who knows where it could end up. 

I don't remember anyone saying if we get a 1st rounder, don't pull the trigger (except the Patriots..theirs is more like a 2, add another 2 and I'm good)

6 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Any idea why we aren't fining him? If they expect him back and are talking I have no issue with no fines. Or maybe they don't want to cause strife which, again, I understand. But if he just won't come back they should start fining him.

How we would even know if they are?  They don't have to announce stuff like that

41 minutes ago, carex said:

How we would even know if they are?  They don't have to announce stuff like that

Whenever there have been hold outs in the past across the NFL fines have been mentioned. Don't recall ever seeing an incident where it wasn't reported. Now this isn't a hold out per se, but same type of situation.

Just now, MisterPinstripe said:

Whenever there have been hold outs in the past across the NFL fines have been mentioned. Don't recall ever seeing an incident where it wasn't reported. Now this isn't a hold out per say, but same type of situation.

they did say they would fine him, they just hadn't officially announced it

Archived