Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This is true for every team in the NFL.

Rare exceptions exist for veterans at the later stages of career wanting to go into a winning situation— when their motivation is tied to legacy. 

Young players are attempting to maximize earnings on their second contract and now attempting to create a third big money contracts at the tail end of their primes. 

Other factors exist, but often have little to do with the franchise itself:

Taxes

Family

I never said it wasn't, but some of our fan base  thinks the man signed here, because he was a Skins fan that's ridiculous. He signed here, because we offered him the most money.  If the Saint, Pats, Pitt offered what the Skins offered. Do you really think he signs here? Those are winning organisations and don't compare to what the Skin have been for almost 30 years now.  Collins wanted to get paid and that's what happened. Same thing happened with Josh Norman and every other FA we've ever got. 

10 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This is true for every team in the NFL.

Rare exceptions exist for veterans at the later stages of career wanting to go into a winning situation— when their motivation is tied to legacy. 

Young players are attempting to maximize earnings on their second contract and now attempting to create a third big money contracts at the tail end of their primes. 

Other factors exist, but often have little to do with the franchise itself:

Taxes

Family

There's also the same pressure of not stifling contract values. The same pressure home owners feel not to sell their house for less than market value...you impact your neighbors. 

18 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Perhaps but i doubt Minny was offering that. that's a dramatic difference from 30 million guaranteed and I wouldn't have blamed him for taking it. But I do think there were similar offers out there, maybe slightly more (Earl Thomas got 31 mil guaranteed), but Landon chose Washington. 

Similar maybe, but not what we offered. Guaranteed is normally the only thing that matters in the NFL and he got 44 million guaranteed. That's a lot for a Safety period. My guess is no one else offered him more than 35 million other than the Skins. He's I believe the highest paid safety in NFL history as far as guaranteed money goes. Also lets point out that Josh Norman contract is still the highest given to any CB. What was that 4 years ago. 

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Yes. He didn't even give any other team a chance to match.

LOL yeah because he knew no other team would come close to that offer. Do you really think anyone else was going to offer him what the Skins did? His agent probably got the offer and said. Hurry up and go sign that baby. 

4 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

LOL yeah because he knew no other team would come close to that offer. Do you really think anyone else was going to offer him what the Skins did? His agent probably got the offer and said. Hurry up and go sign that baby. 

Earl Thomas at 30 and coming off a broken leg got 32 million guaranteed for a 4 year deal. Yes I do think teams would have come close. Hell, Kevin Byard signed a contract that pays him more AAV a couple months later. 

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Earl Thomas at 30 and coming off a broken leg got 32 million guaranteed for a 4 year deal. Yes I do think teams would have come close. Hell, Kevin Byard signed a contract that pays him more AAV a couple months later. 

Kevin got 31 guaranteed and like you said Earl got 32 million guaranteed. That's 12 to 13 million more. That's huge and he'll have all of that guaranteed money over 3 years. So that means if he balls out for the Skins for 3 years. He could hold out for more money. So he basically signed a 3 year deal for 44 million. 

One random thought on Trent, is that he may have other income streams.  I think he has a gym or some business venture with AP? Regardless, if he was a smart investor like Gronk was, he does NOT need money from the Redskins to live a normal life.

I really think our leverage is less than Trents.I stand firm in my belief that we need him (or assets in a trade) more than he needs us.

10 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Kevin got 31 guaranteed and like you said Earl got 32 million guaranteed. That's 12 to 13 million more. That's huge and he'll have all of that guaranteed money over 3 years. So that means if he balls out for the Skins for 3 years. He could hold out for more money. So he basically signed a 3 year deal for 44 million. 

And if he does that then i'll be the first to jump ship from his bandwagon. However, you're currently creating a narrative that simply doesn't exist. 

Landon Collins will finish the season at 25 years old— He’s just entering his prime. Tough to compare other guys in middle or at end of their primes. But yes, to the larger point, the Skins had to come through on the pay day. Only concessions I can see a player providing team wanting to sign with is structure of contract and how many will be paid out. 

Whatever Collins’ motives were him signing a 6 year deal that has minimal guarantees in years 4, 5, and 6 (age of each season are 28, 29, and 30) is a major steal for Skins. Who signs a 6 year deal anymore!?

37 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

One random thought on Trent, is that he may have other income streams.  I think he has a gym or some business venture with AP? Regardless, if he was a smart investor like Gronk was, he does NOT need money from the Redskins to live a normal life.

I really think our leverage is less than Trents.I stand firm in my belief that we need him (or assets in a trade) more than he needs us.

My guess is nothing he’s doing on his own is making 5% ($550k = 5% of 11mil) of what he’s set to earn with Skins this year. And that’s being generous. 

Supreme leverage for Skins when considering potential earning opportunity.

32 minutes ago, wit33 said:

My guess is nothing he’s doing on his own is making 5% ($550k = 5% of 11mil) of what he’s set to earn with Skins this year. And that’s being generous. 

Supreme leverage for Skins when considering potential earning opportunity.

Luck didn't care about the money. Why should Trent? He has battled his fair share of injuries, just like Luck.

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Luck didn't care about the money. Why should Trent? He has battled his fair share of injuries, just like Luck.

Reaching. Luck no longer wanted to play, Trent does. 

But the echo of a man is real, so who knows. 

Absent a good trade;

With the new CBA expiring next year and a possible lockout/strike facing 2021..Trent either needs to come back to the skins or see the end of his career (Trent trying a come back in 2022 is a reach)  If Trent is OK with his career ending..he has the leverage..otherwise it's the Skins hand that plays better. Trent will not play for greater than 2 years if the Skins stay put.

156 pages of BS and nothing has changed..who blinks first

Trent stil has an allocation of both his most recent signing bonus and option bonus going through the salary cap in 2019. In the region of 3.5mil combined. I wonder if that is cash we can look to recover if he doesn't show again and we don't trade him. 

Perhaps a way for him to avoid that is to prove malpractice on our part. 

Pure speculation, but there is an ugly undertone (not Bruce :806:) to this involving money in my opinion.

33 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Reaching. Luck no longer wanted to play, Trent does. 

But the echo of a man is real, so who knows. 

If Trent wanted to play THAT badly there is really nothing stopping him.  Only and somewhat speculatively, fear of greater injury as a result of not trusting our med staff. Which isn't all that far off from issues that has Luck walking away while he still can.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this drags on for the full 2 years, Trent just retires.

33 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If Trent wanted to play THAT badly there is really nothing stopping him.  Only and somewhat speculatively, fear of greater injury as a result of not trusting our med staff. Which isn't all that far off from issues that has Luck walking away while he still can.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this drags on for the full 2 years, Trent just retires.

The is no two full years to the current situation. The contract doesn't advance unless he plays. I imagine if he weren't trade by the end of next training camp he'd retire

4 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

LOL the Skins have never had a problem getting any free agent they wanted. Why, because they pay the most when they want that free agent.

I think you’re looking at this in a severely biased way. The entire premise of free agency is getting as much money as you can from whichever team will pay it.  Therefore, any team that signs a free agent offered that player the most money. It’s not just a Redskins thing. You think Suh signed with Miami even though he was offered more by another team?

Do you have any examples of a player signing with a team in free agency for less than they were offered by another team?  

Archived