Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

6 hours ago, DoneMessedUp said:

As pathetic as it is, I think the ongoing civil war at Fox News ultimately decides Trump's fate. If the news side wins out over the opinion side, the GOP is going to have some cover to do the right thing. 

See, i think this is just their way of squirming out from under the slimy rock they lay on themselves. i don't think for a second that their supposed rift is not part of their script.  Propagandists do not allow rogue members without a reason for them being rogue.
Just a pivot to the next one.
And i have zero faith that anyone still tuned in to Fox news will do anything but parrot whatever they are told to say, and vote for whoever they are told to vote for. IMO, Fox news is complicit in this entire filthy mess, and they should pay for it dearly.

~Bang

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-other-ukraine-scandal-trumps-threats-to-our-ambassador-who-wouldnt-bend/2019/09/27/03ac9a00-e13e-11e9-8dc8-498eabc129a0_story.html#click=https://t.co/Qq9HPupNMT

The other Ukraine scandal: Trump’s threats to our ambassador who wouldn’t bend

By Philip Gordon and Daniel Fried

September 27, 2019 at 4:40 p.m. EDT

Philip Gordon is the Mary and David Boies senior fellow in U.S. foreign policy at the Council on Foreign Relations. He served as assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian Affairs from 2009-2013. Daniel Fried, a foreign service officer for 40 years, was assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian Affairs from 2005-2009. He is now with the Atlantic Council.

The recent revelations about President Trump’s treatment of Ukraine catalogue a number of potentially serious misdeeds, including abuse of powerextortion of a foreign leaderviolation of campaign finance laws and a conspiracy to cover up all of the above by storing records of phone conversations on a top-secret server in the White House.

But as investigations proceed and Americans consider these revelations, they should hold in mind another transgression: the president’s egregious mistreatment of one of the country’s most distinguished ambassadors. Even before the rough transcript of the call between Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was released, we knew that the administration had prematurely curtailed the appointment of U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch following public attacks on her by the president’s eldest son and by his personal lawyer, Rudolph W. Giuliani. Administration officials then falsely claimed that she was leaving her post “as planned.” Now, we also know that Trump went on to denigrate the ambassador in a phone call to a foreign leader, telling Zelensky that “the woman” was “bad news” and vaguely but ominously notingthat “she’s going to go through some things.”

Presidents are entitled to have their own ambassadors in place and to expect those ambassadors to implement their policies. But the consequences of Trump’s apparent willingness to punish a top U.S. representative, and to disparage her in a conversation with a foreign government, should not be underestimated. Allowing this to stand would not only have a chilling effect on the entire diplomatic corps but also could undermine U.S. foreign policy more broadly.

Both of us served as assistant secretaries of state for European and Eurasian Affairs, as well as on the staff of the National Security Council, under Republican and Democratic presidents. We know the importance of having representatives abroad who serve the country regardless of which party happens to be in power at any given time. It was our honor to work for many years with many of them, and none was more professional, capable or nonpartisan than Yovanovitch, who loyally and diligently served administrations from both parties for several decades — including as ambassador in demanding posts such as Kyrgyzstan, Armenia and Ukraine. We know her as professional, disciplined and dedicated.

It is impossible to know what “things” Trump was suggesting to Zelensky that the ambassador was going to go through, but it is impossible to conjure up any benign interpretation of those disturbing words. Yovanovitch, and all Foreign Service officers whose oath is to the country and the Constitution, deserve better.

What Yovanovitch was doing in Ukraine — along with her colleagues from the European Union, International Monetary Fund and other multilateral institutions — was the tireless, difficult work of pressing the Ukrainian government to fight corruption, push ahead with reforms and continue to resist Russia’s aggression. It was not her job to press the Ukrainians to focus on what Trump apparently wanted them to focus on, namely digging up information to further his political interests.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-other-ukraine-scandal-trumps-threats-to-our-ambassador-who-wouldnt-bend/2019/09/27/03ac9a00-e13e-11e9-8dc8-498eabc129a0_story.html#click=https://t.co/Qq9HPupNMT

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Kfrankie’s soliloquy is TL:DR, but the fact that he so freely and openly uses the term “witch hunt” would make Joseph Goebbels proud.

Yeah, how can it be a "witch hunt" when it was conclusively determined that Russia did interefere with our elections and there were so many indictments and convictions and we know there were conversations regarding election manipulation between Don Jr. and the Russians, and...

It boggles the mind how successfully brainwashed some people choose to be.

40 minutes ago, Bang said:

Trump is so patriotic.

I hope we hang him with a red, white and blue rope.

~Bang

I'd be fine with a red bullet, a white bullet, and a blue bullet fired in automatic mode from an AK-47.

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I always knew he was a traitor but the fact that he may go down as the biggest one in the history of the United States really makes me feel giggly 

I don’t know about that. There’s really some stiff competition for that title. Bonus points for being POTUS though so I guess he’s part of the conversation.

Interesting trivia, that answers something troubling me

Intel Community Secretly Gutted Requirement Of First-Hand Whistleblower Knowledge

Federal records show that the intelligence community secretly revised the formal whistleblower complaint form in August 2019 to eliminate the requirement of direct, first-hand knowledge of wrongdoing.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, how can it be a "witch hunt" when it was conclusively determined that Russia did interefere with our elections and there were so many indictments and convictions and we know there were conversations regarding election manipulation between Don Jr. and the Russians, and...

I'd be fine with a red bullet, a white bullet, and a blue bullet fired in automatic mode from an AK-47.

The ignorance of those in the trump cult is deliberate. They take pride in willingly being obtuse, and at his Nazi party gatherings, they wear it on their shirts with great pride. 

trump-t-shirt.thumb.jpg.0972559e9a08a5623b72116fd57ea065.jpg

20 minutes ago, twa said:

LOL @ your news sources.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Until the fat lady sings... I don't believe McConnell will allow the right thing or do the right thing. He's more corrupt even than Trump.

Agreed. But then that (fingers crossed) greases the skids for a turnover of both the WH and the Senate. OTOH, half the voting public are willfully ignorant, fascist leaning morons so maybe not.😒

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Shouldn’t that be an AR-15? Oh wait. I see what you did there.😃😃

28 minutes ago, twa said:

What color ushanka to buy for this coming winter?

4 hours ago, twa said:

skinstime do you object to news/information?

Are any of your approved sources mentioning it?

You show me right-wing news sources that give the truth and I'll buy it. I am aware of no winger news that does not blatantly lie, therefore I will give none of them any credence. They and the fools that give them credence are why we have this traitor as our president. What they have done should be criminal. I am very aware that there is a preception to those in the TOP (trump's old party), think that because the mainstream media does not report the news the way they want, they are too left-wing, just maybe though the problem lies with wingers and being unable to accept that the world is moving forward.

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Administration officials then falsely claimed that she was leaving her post “as planned.” Now, we also know that Trump went on to denigrate the ambassador in a phone call to a foreign leader, telling Zelensky that “the woman” was “bad news” and vaguely but ominously noting that “she’s going to go through some things.”

Presidents are entitled to have their own ambassadors in place and to expect those ambassadors to implement their policies. But the consequences of Trump’s apparent willingness to punish a top U.S. representative, and to disparage her in a conversation with a foreign government, should not be underestimated. Allowing this to stand would not only have a chilling effect on the entire diplomatic corps but also could undermine U.S. foreign policy more broadly.

The way Trump spoke about a US ambassador to a foreign leader was simply unacceptable.  I understand that a President should have people he trusts, but even those he's in the process of replacing are still his people.  Failing to understand that just makes Trump look like he doesn't get the whole loyalty and patriotism thing.  Like maybe he doesn't see things in terms of nations, and himself as part of that, and instead sees it as team Trump versus everyone else. 

I expect to see that attitude from business leaders.  They have no national loyalties and would gladly screw over their country and countrymen if the deal earns them a few extra pieces of silver. 

I'm one that still expects our leaders to behave, at all times, as enthusiastic representatives and advocates of the US.  Trump ran on America First right?  Someone should remind him of that when he's trashing his own people in front of foreign leaders.

4 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I'm wondering how Democrats will persuade enough Republicans to win a two-thirds vote ?

I doubt it's possible. They (elected Republicans) know he's guilty as hell of this and so much more. I think what Flake said is probably the most telling. He said, if it was a silent vote then 35 Republicans would vote for impeachment. With their names recorded, do any have enough love for the country or integrity to do so?

I think the funniest twitter line I read today was "Could you imagine if they did this to Obama?" I answered simply, "No, because Obama would never do this."

It shut them all up.

18 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Its like some of these people could be....President of the United States, for random example, and not actually use real information. Its crazy. 

I think it’s perfectly hilarious that what will eventually derail Trump’s presidency is an actually credible “some people are saying” complaint. 

The people who elected a doofus who got started with “some people are saying Obama is Kenyan” are now concerned about second hand information. Pound rocks and get ****ed. 

41 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I doubt it's possible. They (elected Republicans) know he's guilty as hell of this and so much more. I think what Flake said is probably the most telling. He said, if it was a silent vote then 35 Republicans would vote for impeachment. With their names recorded, do any have enough love for the country or integrity to do so?

I think the funniest twitter line I read today was "Could you imagine if they did this to Obama?" I answered simply, "No, because Obama would never do this."

It shut them all up.

Nevermind Obama. As much as I disliked Slick Willie, Reagan, W. and others, I can’t imagine any other POTUS in history being an actual traitor. It’s a charge the fascist right has made about pretty much every Dem POTUS in recent memory, but Tя☭mp is a bonafide, straight up, real deal, Benedict Arnold, traitor. I honestly never thought I’d be able to credibly say that about the other side at any time in my political life, whether I was Dem, GOP, or Independent at the time.  It’s a sad indictment on the state of our system and the people who set it up.

Archived