Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

Just now, tshile said:

I don’t believe she testified I believe it was Paula Jones (friend of hers) that recorded phone calls with her where she discussed it all. And the dress. 

Linda Tripp was the person who betrayed her trust in the pursuit of the perjury trap.

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Of course I do, I just dont remember all the details,  I didn't follow it that closely then.

Didn't she testify?

I assume your response was sarcasm. 

No, why would someone so critical to a case ever bother testify.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/stories/lewinexcerpts092198.htm

Excerpts from Monica Lewinsky's grand jury testimony on Aug. 6 and Aug. 20:

Q. What I have placed in front of you is ... a chart that you have ... earlier testified about of contacts between yourself and the president. 

As I indicated to you informally beforehand, this grand jury session today is for you to answer questions from the grand jurors.

And so without any further ado, I will ask the grand jurors if they have any questions of Ms. Lewinsky. 

A. JUROR I think I'm going to start out. 

Q. Okay. 

Q. JUROR Ms. Lewinsky, in your testimony when you were with us on the sixth, you mentioned some of the steps that you took to maintain secrecy regarding your relationship: that you would bring papers or ... you would accidentally bump into each other in the hallway. You always used Betty as the excuse for you to be waved in and on many occasions you would go in one door and out of the other door. 

A. Yes. ... 

... Q. JUROR: ... Were these ways to maintain your secrecy your idea or were they recommended to you by anyone? 

... A. Some of them were my idea. Some of them were things that I had discussed with the President. I think it was a mutual understanding between us that obviously we'd both try to be careful. 

Q. JUROR: Do you recall at all specifically which ones he may have recommended to you as an idea on maintaining the secrecy? 

A. Yes and no. The issue of Betty being the cover story for when I came to the White House, it became my understanding I think most clearly from the fact that I couldn't come to see him after the election until unless Betty was there to clear me in and that one time when I asked him why, he said because if someone comes to see him, there's a list circulated among the staff members and then everyone would be questioning why I was there to see him. ... 

Q. MR. EMICK: ... Were there ever any discussions between you and the President about what should be done with letters that you -- letters or notes that you had sent to him? ... 

A. It was my understanding that obviously he would throw them away or, if he decided to keep them, which I didn't think he did, he would put them somewhere safe. ... 

Q. What about whether on your caller ID on your telephone the word POTUS would appear and whether anything was done in order to make sure that POTUS did not appear on your telephone? 

A. My caller ID at work; it would -- when the President called from the Oval Office, it would say POTUS and when he'd call from the residence, it was an asterisk. And I told him that. ... 

Then one time he called me from the residence ... on a line that had a phone number attached to it and so when he called, he said, "Oh, did it ring up, you know, phone number? It didn't say my name, did it?" 

And so it was -- that was something that I was concerned about. 

Q. Did he ever express to you a reluctance to leave messages on your telephone voice message system? 

A. At home? 

Q. Yes. 

A. Yes. 

Q: All right. Tell us about that. 

A. One time in a conversation he just said he didn't like to leave messages. 

Q. OK. What about the times that you would visit him? Were those times selected in a way so that there weren't people around or that certain people weren't around? 

A. Yes. 

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

so are y'all gonna quit that and start openly acknowledging it on a regular basis as a huge priority to fix in your 'party' or just argue the same **** you have for decades..."it's exaggerated, it's libs making stuff up, libs are the ones all freaks/crazy/hateful/violent/commies, it's the libs it's the libs burpfart"...etc.

you know.... when the impeachment stuff started I hoped it would break through all that and get at least a portion to reflect, as you suggest

but based on conversations of the last week I’ve lost that hope. 

it’s part of what drives my opinion that the dems dragging this out is bad for the overall “sell” of the impeachment. It took, what I thought was, a very straight forward fact-driven process and turns it into political theater. 

and when that happens everyone feels super comfortable retreating to their safe place of “they’re there ones that are wrong” and people tune out

of course some/many would argue that those people were always going to fall back to trump it was just a matter of what excuse they used. Which could very we’ll be true. But I’d have rather seen them keep trying to get those people. And I also think you could wind up just losing people that are currently on your side (but not adamantly so)

ie: don’t make it easier for the gop to muddy the water anymore than they already are. And this tactic has a chance of doing just that. 

59 minutes ago, twa said:

Schumer opposed calling witnesses back in the day, fun to watch sides flip .

I would propose waiting till Scotus rules and let the House call them if allowed, doing otherwise is simply ignoring procedure.

20 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Legitimate question because I don't know much about the Clinton impeachment.

Did clinton block all the material witnesses from testifying during the house impeachment process?

No, Clinton didn't block anybody.  (Nixon tried, and the Supremes ordered him to comply.  In a very short time.)  

And the Senate called witnesses, for their part.  (Which deals with the "ignoring procedure" lie.)  

3 minutes ago, illone said:

"You have cheapened the importance of the very ugly word, impeachment!"

"It is a terrible thing that you are doing, but you will have to live with it, not I!"

This is dumb even by Republican standards.

Might be time to recreate IMO one of the best moments of Stewart/Colbert. 

Context. It's presidential primary season. And something happened (don't think I ever found out what). And virtually the entire campaign staff walks out on Newt Gingrich. Newt issues a rather incomprehensible press release. 

Colbert covers the press release. 

Archived