Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

If we pick Tua with Chase on the board I am going to blow a gasket. If Chase goes number one and you prefer Tua to Burrow than fine pick him. But I am not passing on the best pass rusher I have seen since Bruce Smith for a QB that cant protect himself. Tua is an exciting player. But there is nothing exciting about watching a guy sit on the sideline in a walking boot.

Damn, latest mocks got Denzel Mims going at #30 to Green Bay. I’m not surprised people are seeing him rise to the 1st round after the senior bowl and combine. 

How far do people think Cameron Dantzler falls after that 40 time? He’s got great tape, but damn what he runs at his pro day needs to be better.  He might have tried to gain too much weight and it threw him off?

8 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Both?? Seems like quite a stretch

Yeah it would be. My thinking is we'd trade down with Miami and get all three of their 1sts. With the #5 pick we'd take one of the two, then use Miami's other two 1sts to move back into the top 10 to take the other.

58 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Out of curiosity for those who know more than I, when I look at guys like Tanner Muse and Chase Claypool, based on say the last 5 or so years, guys that blow up because of the combine, get drafted way higher than expected because of their performance at the combine, how often do those buzz-worthy players live up to or exceed the buzz they generate from their combine performance? I like at players like John Ross and Brashaud Perriman who shot up because of their 40 times, but failed to live up to those expectations. How often do players actually live up to them? 

I can't speak as well to other players, but Ross's film was awesome.  He didn't really need the combine to go top ten, his dynamic athleticism was clear on the field.  Similar situation to Ruggs, except he was better in college than Ruggs was.  And I think he could certainly still justify his draft slot as injuries have derailed him, not a lack of ability.  He suffered a freakishly severe shoulder injury last season, but he's supposedly fully healthy now, and thus it wouldn't surprise me if he has a huge season.  He seems like the type who can bounce back from bad injuries without losing any confidence.  He's cut from the same cloth as DeSean Jackson.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If we pick Tua with Chase on the board I am going to blow a gasket. If Chase goes number one and you prefer Tua to Burrow than fine pick him. But I am not passing on the best pass rusher I have seen since Bruce Smith for a QB that cant protect himself. Tue is an exciting player. But there is nothing exciting about watching a guy sit on the sideline in a walking boot.

If it happens, I'm checking out.  It would be confirmation of our bottom barrel organizational quality.  It'd be a loss for the NFL too, having us ruin a third excellent QB prospect in less than a decade.

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can't speak as well to other players, but Ross's film was awesome.  He didn't really need the combine to go top ten, his dynamic athleticism was clear on the field.  Similar situation to Ruggs, except he was better in college than Ruggs was.  And I think he could certainly still justify his draft slot as injuries have derailed him, not a lack of ability.  He suffered a freakishly severe shoulder injury last season, but he's supposedly fully healthy now, and thus it wouldn't surprise me if he has a huge season.  He seems like the type who can bounce back from bad injuries without losing any confidence.  He's cut from the same cloth as DeSean Jackson.

There was no way he was going top 10 if it weren't for that 4.22 time. 

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Out of curiosity for those who know more than I, when I look at guys like Tanner Muse and Chase Claypool, based on say the last 5 or so years, guys that blow up because of the combine, get drafted way higher than expected because of their performance at the combine, how often do those buzz-worthy players live up to or exceed the buzz they generate from their combine performance? I like at players like John Ross and Brashaud Perriman who shot up because of their 40 times, but failed to live up to those expectations. How often do players actually live up to them?

Don't know much abut Muse.  But as for Claypool, he had good production, too.  He's not just a pure combine warrior.  He's not my favorite WR in the 2nd tier group.  But he's intriguing and I'd be on board if he can put on 10 pounds and maybe play some TE.

Over the course of the week, I asked a small handful of national NFL Draft media members to name a prospect or two they’d done film work on who they knew they’d be higher on than consensus come Draft time. Not first-rounders… sleeper-types.

Here were the assorted answers I got:

Princeton QB Kevin Davidson

San Jose State QB Josh Love

Washington State QB Anthony Gordon

Florida State RB Cam Akers

Ohio State WR KJ Hill

SMU WR James Proche

Florida WR Van Jefferson

UMass TE Adam Trautman

FAU TE Harrison Bryant

UConn OT Matt Peart

Washington iOL Nick Harris

Fresno State iOL Netane Muti

Auburn iDL Marlon Davidson

Notre Dame EDGE Khalid Kareem

Mississippi State LB Willie Gay

Oregon LB Troy Dye

TCU CB Jeff Gladney

Leonoir-Rhyne S Kyle Dugger

Minnesota S Antoine Winfield Jr.

Okay, I brought Winfield up. But once I did, the two guys I was having burgers with went nuts and couldn’t stop talking about him for 10 minutes.

I’m also going to toss Clemson S K’Von Wallace onto the list as an honorable mention, as my colleague Derrik Klassen and I couldn’t stop talking about him as a guy who is getting overlooked for reasons that don’t have to do with his game.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/combine-breakdown/combine-notes

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I want Young but if we could somehow parlay the #2 pick into Okudah and Simmons I wouldn't mind that either.

That seems highly unlikely.

My first preference is just to stay put and draft Young.  And I think that’s what’s going to happen, honestly. 

If Kyle/Ron feel like Haskins is just “meh” and Tua is Rodgers, the n if they take him, ok.  I wouldn’t because of the injury history.

If they trade down and get one or two of the other defensive studs, I’m ok with that too. 

What I’m really not in favor of is moving down past 5 and not getting one of the truly top players. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

There was no way he was going top 10 if it weren't for that 4.22 time. 

He didn't need to run at the combine.  It was very clear he had top notch speed from his play, same as it was for Ruggs.  His film and production were better than Ruggs's too, and Ruggs has a real chance to go top ten in a better draft class.  Ross looked like a DeSean Jackson clone in 2016.

I love AJ Dillon.  I was a little surprised how far under the radar he was because he's such a well-known and feared player for ACC fans.  He's been one of the best players in the conference the past three seasons, Etienne is the only back who was better.  I'm bummed about his great combine because I was getting him in the sixth and seventh rounds of every mock I tried.  Everyone knows he's good now, and he's going to be like a fourth round pick or better.  Zierlein compared him to James Conner, and there are similarities.  But I think Dillon is built differently.  Conner is a taller, leaner runner, whereas Dillon is very compact with tremendous leg size and strength.  Eric Dickerson build vs Earl Campbell build.  I think a better comparison for Dillon than Conner is Michael Turner.

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He didn't need to run at the combine.  It was very clear he had top notch speed from his play, same as it was for Ruggs.  His film and production were better than Ruggs's too, and Ruggs has a real chance to go top ten in a better draft class.  Ross looked like a DeSean Jackson clone in 2016.

Tough to say, honestly. Williams and Davis were already locked into the top spots at WR so I truly think Ross needed to wow teams in order to convince any of them inside the top ten to spend a really high pick on him. Also, considering there wasn't another WR taken for another 30 picks or so, Cincy wasn't going to take any chances on not getting one of the elite receivers. That time only blew up his buzz. I'm not even convinced he was a player at a position of utmost need for them at the time. 

Claypool blowing up the combine probably pushes Pittman down to a range that's better for us.  Pittman, imo, is better at adjusting to the football after it's thrown.

But anyone know about how Pittman is at running slants, digs, and in-breaking routes?  His route tree at USC was limited.  Smoke routes, screens, Go's, and the like only, but it looked like he was capable of more.  Yet without film, whose to say?

-----------------------------

I haven't watched AJ Dillon...but dear lord that clip was nice.  Obscene power, fantastic balance.  Like unreal balance.  I know Derrick Henry doesn't have that recovery after one of his more powerful stiff arms.  One of his recoveries from contact reminded me of college Todd Gurley.

If AJ Dillon had the vision and patience to go with that, he'd be one of the best RB's in the NFL.

I really need to watch more of him.  He looks like an unreal sleeper.

Ok.  Well saw two games of AJ Dillon.  you can see the athlecism and power when he runs, but he hasn't yet figured out how to best use it.

He's overeager as a runner.  He runs hard, he wants to hit a home run every time.  Which is great if blocking is there.  But he doesn't make blockers better, he doesn't setup his blocks, and cause defenders to overpursue.

Patient runner he isn't.  I don't know enough about what works best in what run scheme, so maybe there's a run scheme ideal for him.  Otherwise he's going to have to learn some nuance.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love AJ Dillon.  I was a little surprised how far under the radar he was because he's such a well-known and feared player for ACC fans.  He's been one of the best players in the conference the past three seasons, Etienne is the only back who was better.  I'm bummed about his great combine because I was getting him in the sixth and seventh rounds of every mock I tried.  Everyone knows he's good now, and he's going to be like a fourth round pick or better.  Zierlein compared him to James Conner, and there are similarities.  But I think Dillon is built differently.  Conner is a taller, leaner runner, whereas Dillon is very compact with tremendous leg size and strength.  Eric Dickerson build vs Earl Campbell build.  I think a better comparison for Dillon than Conner is Michael Turner.

Dillon would be fun work horse in the backfield. He lacks some patience in setting up blocks but he may be able to learn that. It doesn't appear he has value in the passing game which is a shame. Would be great to be able to move him around like a FB or HB.

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Matt Miller’s post combine mock has Skins taking Chase at 2 and Mims at 66

I don't see Mims falling that far. I mean, he could. Guys fall all the time. But his stock was rising pre-combine and post-combine it's rising further. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I don't see Mims falling that far. I mean, he could. Guys fall all the time. But his stock was rising pre-combine and post-combine it's rising further. 

for sure. But some of these WRs are going to have to fall by nature. I know it’s a deep class but exactly this sort of thing can/will happen. Now maybe it pushes guys like Jefferson and Pittman down further but those guys were already in that early 3rd round range. I have a feeling a WR will fall to 66 who was mocked in the 1st or early 2nd in some mocks. 

So, I don't know if it's become apparent, but defensively I prefer guys who are instinctive and appear to be well studied. 

Shaq Quarterman at ILB, Isaiah Simmons at OLB/S, Chase Young at defensive end, Akeem Davis-Gaither at OLB, Kenneth Murray at ILB, Kyle Dugger at S, Okudah at corner, Darnay Holmes at corner. I love guys that can block destruct, take good angles, tackle and most importantly find themselves around the football. I don't care what position you are. If you can find yourself around the football, that means you do good things. You diagnose, you read, you do your homework. Athleticism certainly matters, but it doesn't matter as much to me as your film shows you near the point of attack, getting off blocks and taking great angles. 

Brandon Jones is one of those guys who just seems to put himself in good position. He can sift through traffic, he can tackle, he can get down hill and he gets himself in position to make plays. He projects to be a late third early 4th rounder. So if he's there around our fourth, I'd be more than okay with pulling the trigger on this guy. 

Highlight reels are all designed to make the player look good, obviously. But not all highlight reels are built the same. You can tell that Jones is a constant around the football. 

In contrast, I don't see a guy like Shyheim Carter around the ball as much. Much more highly touted, and he's physically pretty fun to watch. But he just doesn't seem to be a hawk. I'd take him on my D, for sure. But... I value hawks, man. 

I like him. 

Man I'm lovin' trying to keep up with all these conversations, it's like people playing the "What if?" game about what you'd do if you hit the lottery....... this place is the main source of entertainment for me lately

Archived