Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What the hell is a SPARQ

Basically a metric that combines your combine numbers in combination with the player's physical size and compares those numbers to other players at your position.  But basically they try to compute your combine scores on multiple exercises into one overall score.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Basically a metric that combines your combine numbers in combination with the player's physical size and compares those numbers to other players at your position.  But basically they try to compute your combine scores on multiple exercises into one overall score.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

SPARQ score.  Basically shows how a player's athletic profile (40, vert, broad jump, 3 cone etc.) ranks vs every other player's profile in history. 

Sounds like a dominator score.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sounds like a dominator score.

similar exception the dominator score factors production and makes a big deal about multiple years of success.  (early success)

I don't live and die with either score.  

if this drops Xavier, I'd happily take him in the third

14 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not sure I agree it's an "awful" class.  But it does suck that TE is our biggest need this year.

IMO its not an awful class from the context of there being no players worth taking.  It's awful though if you are looking for a first round or 2nd round TE.  None of them IMO are worth going that high.  As i mentioned every draft geek just about loves trashing the class as for their generalization of it (and I get that considering the fact that there are no headliners which is historic) but then when you get them to talk specifically about the TE's, they almost all have their pet favorites they like in the 3rd through 6th round.  As do I.

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 5.24.33 PM.png

Hopefully the tight ends this year are not worthy of a first round grade just like  George Kittle  who was picked with the 146th pick overall in the 5th round of the 2017 NFL draft. Or like Travis Kelce who was drafted by the Chiefs in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

46 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Great name for a speed guy.

Don't you mean for a track guy 😉.

Jeremy Chinn with an excellent combine continuing that Darnell Savage path I keep bringing up.  I liked Savage’s tape more, but I had both guys 2-3 rounds ahead of the draft folks...  Guess we’ll see. 

Reggie Robinson is having himself a combine too.  Perhaps the best press corner in the draft.  Really like this guy.   

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Asking Haskins to compete is such a mistake. He has to be in the drivers seat if you intend to develop him. He does not learn as the backup. He learns from doing. He has no interest in being a backup, we saw that last season.

We do him a disservice if we take a QB high and throw on a dog and pony competition. If we draft a quarterback, recoup what you can for Haskins and move on. 

If Haskins is your guy, bring in a Bortles type and move forward. I’d love to see what PJ Walker offers an NFL franchise as a backup option, too.

Wonder what we could get? A third? A first is not happening, even a second feels like a reach.

Draft Network post combine mock

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/articles/post-combine-mock-draft-nfl-sikkema-2020

Bengals

Joe Burrow

QB, LSU

During the last two combines, there was plenty of excitement and mystery around the first-overall pick. In 2018, there was a deep and talented quarterback class where more than one name was touted as the possible top pick, and in 2019, the combine was really where the Kyler Murray speculation started to take off.

This year there wasn’t a single peep about the No. 1 pick. Everyone knows who it is.

Redskins

Chase Young

EDGE, Ohio State

Chase Young did not participate in a single athletic test this week, and that was the right choice. He’s standing on what he put out on tape, and that tape tells us he’s a top-three player — at worst. While in Indianapolis, we learned there might be some truth to the rumors of the Washington Redskins’ new coaching staff not being thrilled with Dwayne Haskins, but as of right now I still don’t see head coach Ron Rivera picking anyone other than Young.

Lions

Jeffrey Okudah

CB, Ohio State

Jeff Okudah was impressive during Combine week, even if his workout didn't live up to the unrealistic hype some placed on him before the day began. His weigh-in measurements looked like God built him specifically to play shutdown corner; his interview session was prepared, confident and personable, and the numbers he did put up during the athletic testing was more than fine.

This man is not getting out of the top-five.

Giants

Isaiah Simmons

LB, Clemson

Let’s recap Isaiah Simmons’ combine, shall we?

At 6-foot-4-inches, he had a 39-inch vertical jump, an 11-foot broad jump and a 4.39-second 40-yard dash. Every single one of those numbers is above the 90th percentile for the linebacker group he worked out in.

Simmons is an alluring prospect because of how versatile he is; it’s rare. Whether you like him best at linebacker, edge rusher, strong safety, free safety or part-time cornerback, Simmons showed that wherever you want to play him, he’s athletic enough to be successful in that spot.

Dolphins

Justin Herbert

QB, Oregon

I know Miami Dolphins fans have been in on Tua Tagovailoa since the middle of the college football season — some even earlier than that — but the reality is the rumors of Miami potentially having more interest in Justin Herbert than Tagovailoa has legs.

The combine’s value goes beyond just the drills. It’s a week where we get to talk to those inside team circles and prospect camps, and the rise of Herbert is very real — we heard this even before the Sun Sentinel’s report that Tagovailoa was not so re-assured after his meeting with Miami.

Over the course of the Senior Bowl and the combine, Herbert has put his leadership questions to rest and seems to have passed every test teams have given him.

Chargers

Mekhi Becton

OT, Louisville

Mekhi Becton was a marvel in Indianapolis. He showed up at 6-foot-7-inches and 365 pounds, but many wondered where he put all that weight because he was built so well. He didn’t look sloppy in any way and carried his weight about as well as anyone could with those measurables.

Then we saw how well he ran on the field. 

His 5.10-second 40-yard dash time was already in the 81st percentile for offensive tackles, and that was before weight-adjusting the score for how big he is. If the Los Angeles Chargers aren’t taking a quarterback with their top pick, expect it to be one of the top four offensive linemen. Here they go with the most physically imposing one.

Panthers

Derrick Brown

IDL, Auburn

Derrick Brown’s combine was hot and cold. At 6-foot-5-inches and 326 pounds, Brown’s size is in the top-20 percentile for his position. His 28 reps on the bench press were a good number too. But his 27-inch vertical jump, 4.79-second 20-yard shuttle and 8.22-second 3-cone drill were some of the worst times in the class. His 5.16-second 40-yard dash is in the lower percentile for interior defensive linemen, but that’s without giving him a weight-adjusted score.

Brown’s tape is very good, but it isn’t perfect. From things I have been told, Brown’s talent is so great that, to this point in his football career, he hasn’t had to really hone in on the finer details. Not that Brown isn't a hard worker, it's more of a note to how good he naturally is. In college and high school he could win reps off talent alone. On tape, he’ll pop up out of his stance and be quick to give up leverage — something that even showed up in his 40-yard dash — and his 8.22 seconds was nearly historically bad to the point where you know an athlete of his caliber would only put up that kind of number if he didn’t really focus on his training for it.

When Brown gets to the NFL, he will be truly challenged for the first time in his football career — that’s also a testament to just how good he is. Because of this, he might “struggle” in his first year or so because he won’t have the repeated technique to fall back on. If he puts his head down and focuses on that, I have no worries he’ll be worth a top-10 pick.

Cardinals

CeeDee Lamb

WR, Oklahoma

At the combine podium sessions, Arizona Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury said that if his quarterback, Kyler Murray, was the one making the pick, CeeDee Lamb would be his choice at No. 8 overall.

Well, he may not be making the pick, but that pick could still come true.

Lamb wasn’t the best athlete from the wide receiver group, but we knew that was going to be the case, and once he got on the field for the drills, he reminded us why he’s still considered WR1 by many.

Jaguars

Javon Kinlaw

IDL, South Carolina

Javon Kinlaw did not work out at the combine due to knee tendinitis. This was something Kinlaw may have been battling with all season, and it was something that forced him to miss the final day of practice at the Senior Bowl.

But, like Young, Kinlaw didn’t have to prove anything this week. The tape says it all, and it says that Kinlaw is a monster in the middle who would help the Jacksonville Jaguars’ front seven in run defense and pass rush.

Browns

Tristan Wirfs

OT, Iowa

There are good combines, there are great combines, there are historic combines and then there’s whatever the heck Tristan Wirfs did.

At 6-foot-5-inches and 320 pounds, Wirfs ran a 4.85-second 40-yard dash and jumped 36.5 inches in the vertical and 10-feet 1-inch in the broad. All of his scores were in the 99th percentile.

We’ve heard the Cleveland Browns love him, and why wouldn’t they? Wirfs' floor seems to be No. 10.

Their 3rd round is interesting.  IMO no way Moss ends up in the third round.  Man if Higgins went one pick before our pick, it would drive me crazy.  I love Bryan Edwards but I doubt he goes in the third with his broken foot.

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/articles/post-combine-mock-draft-nfl-sikkema-2020

Bengals

Tee Higgins

WR, Clemson

Redskins

Chase Claypool

WR, Notre Dame

Lions

Willie Gay Jr.

LB, Mississippi State

Jets

Damien Lewis

IOL, LSU

Panthers

Jalen Hurts

QB, Oklahoma

49ers

Bryce Hall

CB, Virginia

Chargers

Darnay Holmes

CB, UCLA

Cardinals

Ben Bartch

OT, St. John

Jaguars

Kyle Dugger

S, Lenoir-Rhyne

Browns

Akeem Davis-Gaither

LB, Appalachian State

Colts

Matt Hennessy

IOL, Temple

Buccaneers

Jordan Elliott

IDL, Missouri

Broncos

Saahdiq Charles

OT, LSU

Falcons

Raekwon Davis

IDL, Alabama

Jets

Isaiah Wilson

OT, Georgia

Raiders

Ashtyn Davis

S, California

Raiders

Jacob Eason

QB, Washington

Cowboys

Julian Okwara

EDGE, Notre Dame

Broncos

Malik Harrison

LB, Ohio State

Rams

Robert Hunt

IOL, Louisiana

Eagles

Jordyn Brooks

LB, Texas Tech

Bills

Troy Pride Jr.

CB, Notre Dame

Patriots

Adam Trautman

TE, Dayton

Saints

Tyler Biadasz

IOL, Wisconsin

Vikings

Khalil Davis

IDL, Nebraska

Browns

Bryan Edwards

WR, South Carolina

Raiders

Van Jefferson

WR, Florida

Ravens

Michael Pittman Jr.

WR, USC

Titans

Jake Fromm

QB, Georgia

Packers

Thaddeus Moss

TE, LSU

Broncos

Jeremy Chinn

S, Southern Illinois

Chiefs

Nick Harris

IOL, Washington

ROUND:

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My point is it might be untrue but i got little doubt that he heard it.  I doubt they gives a darn about the Redskins angle on this.  But they are obsessed with Tua down here. 

I don't doubt he heard it.  But a good reporter/editorialist can tell when he's very clearly being lied to or fed nonsense.

Another one

Brad Kelly’s Post-Combine 2020 NFL Mock Draft

1) Cincinnati Bengals – Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
Joe Burrow is an Ohio kid, threw for 60 touchdown passes en route to the Heisman and is the favorite to be selected first overall by the Cincinnati Bengals. We’re likely to see Andy Dalton traded elsewhere this offseason, as head coach Zac Taylor builds the offense around Burro

2) Washington Redskins – Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State
While the Redskins have reportedly been looking into the top quarterback prospects, the most likely scenario is that they move forward with promising second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins. Based on that premise, the Redskins can’t pass on an edge prospect the quality of Chase Young. Washington’s defensive line would have dominant potential with Young in the fold.

3) Detroit Lions – Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State
With star cornerback Darius Slay entering the final year of his contract, the Lions should get ahead of his potential departure by selecting Jeff Okudah. One of the cleanest cornerback prospects in a number of years, Okudah has the size, athleticism, and technique of a future all-pro.

4) New York Giants – Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama
New York has a glaring need at right tackle, and Jedrick Wills has power in both his run and pass blocking. In a steep race for the top offensive tackle in the class, the Alabama product tested out in the 89th percentile or better among offensive tackles in the 40-yard dash, vertical and broad jump, which could separate him on team’s boards.

5) Miami Dolphins – Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
If not for Tua’s injury, he’d be a candidate for the top overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. With news that his rehab is progressing on schedule, he’ll be an option during the top-5 selections. While Miami trading up to secure Tagovailoa’s services is a plausible outcome, he falls into their lap in this scenario.

6) Los Angeles Chargers – Jordan Love, QB, Utah State
With long-term starting quarterback Philip Rivers entering free agency, the Chargers will be in the market for his successor this offseason. After Jordan Love impressed with both his athletic testing (4.74s 40-yard dash, 35.5-inch vertical jump at 224 pounds) and quarterback drills at the NFL Scouting Combine, he’s firmly in the QB3 race with Justin Herbert.

Related | The fantasy impact if Philip Rivers goes to the Indianapolis Colts

7) Carolina Panthers – Isaiah Simmons, Defensive Weapon, Clemson
With the retirement of Luke Kuechly, the Panthers have a hole in the middle of their defense that needs to be addressed. Isaiah Simmons (4.39s forty-yard dash), fresh off terrorizing new offensive coordinator Joe Brady’s offense at LSU, makes sense as their future second-level cornerstone.

😎 Arizona Cardinals – Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa
Arizona’s rebuilding strategy focuses on surrounding second-year quarterback Kyler Murray with both protection and weapons. Tristan Wirfs blew up the NFL Scouting Combine with his athleticism (97th percentile or better in the 40-yard dash, vertical jump and broad jump among offensive tackle prospects), and projects as a long-term answer at either offensive tackle position.

9) Jacksonville Jaguars – Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama
After consecutive college seasons with elite production, former Biletnikoff Award winner Jerry Jeudy will be drafted in the top-15 during April’s draft. His landing spot at pick 9 to Jacksonville makes sense, as their overall wide receiver unit is a bit underwhelming behind DJ Chark.

10) Cleveland Browns – Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville
After Greg Robinson’s off-season mishap, Cleveland will be in need of a starting left tackle during the NFL Draft. Mekhi Becton is a massive human being (6’7, 349 pounds) who impressed with his athleticism during the NFL Scouting Combine. He’ll be in the mix for the first left tackle off the board in the 2020 NFL Draft post-Combine.

11) New York Jets – Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Another team that could benefit from the strong offensive tackle class, the Jets need an answer on the left side for young quarterback Sam Darnold. Andrew Thomas is a technician as a pass rusher, who has the consistency necessary to be a franchise pass protector.

12) Las Vegas Raiders – Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon
With rumors swirling that the Raiders are shopping quarterback Derek Carr, the Raiders will be in the market for a quarterback during the NFL Draft. If the Chargers go the route of Love, it’s hard to find another landing spot for Herbert before the Raiders pick.

Herbert has an arm cannon that he needs to unleash more often, but his steady decision-making will play well to coach Jon Gruden even if he’ll need development with under center reps.

13) Indianapolis Colts – CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma
The Colts could be in the market for a quarterback with their first-round pick, but with the “big four” prospects gone at this stage, they can tackle a different need. Pairing CeeDee Lamb with the speed of T.Y. Hilton will be an intriguing combination that can separate and win at every level.

14) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Derrick Brown, IDL, Auburn
Talent-wise, there’s really no reason that Derrick Brown should be available at this stage of the first round, but that happened due to runs on quarterbacks and offensive tackles. For Tampa Bay, Brown would create possibly the most intriguing interior defensive line duo in the league alongside Vita Vea.

15) Denver Broncos – Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama
With Drew Lock and his howitzer locked into the starting quarterback spot, field-stretcher Henry Ruggs III (4.28s forty-yard dash) becomes their top option at wide receiver. This is a dream scenario for the Broncos to raise the ceiling of the offense.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/brad-kelly-2020-nfl-mock-draft/

Chase Claypool.  I can only find two games.  It allowed me to rewatch Cole Kmet.  Kmet had a monster game against Georgia.  Kmet IMO is a good player.

As for Claypool, I've seen others touting his blocking ability.  I think he's a good blocker but not in the Mims category.  He's inconsistent IMO.  He whiffs on too many blocks or just loses his grip way too fast for my taste but he has moments.

As a receiver, you can see his speed is real.  He played mostly X in those 2 games and some slot.  He can run a go route, corner route and just blow by the corner.  His speed though seems very straight line.  He doesn't seem elusive-quick either as a route runner or with his ball in hands.  As an example Ceedee Lamb didn't run as fast as Claypool but Ceedee has some moves and is seriously elusive and physical in the open field -- Claypool not so much.  But he has an occasional moment on that front including a clip I included.

He seem to run a lot of quick or intermediate outs.  Some crossers, comebacks.   He has good hands and can make the occasional acrobatic catch.  For a dude his size he's not a big time contested catch guy from what I saw and like I mentioned he's not a monster YAC guy.   

Watching him and Kmet on the field at the same time helped bring home to me that if Claypool converted to TE -- it might take him some time to do it.    Kmet to me looks like a traditional TE, Claypool IMO not so much.  I think I'd use him as a receiver but maybe a TE if so I'd want him to put another 10 pounds on. 

Overall, I like him.  I am not blown away.  But for a guy at his size and athleticism I presume a good coach can make him into a really good receiver.  I'd take for example Michael Pittman over him.  Pittman just comes off more polished with better separation skills.   I'd take Tyler Johnson over him too unless he bombs the 40 whenever he runs it. 

Archived